Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 08:52:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose and Syd Barrett
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose and Syd Barrett  (Read 6394 times)
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« on: July 05, 2005, 09:26:48 PM »

I know I may get shit for this, but............with no news ya have to get creative.

Syd Barrett was one of the founding Members and former frontman / chief songwriter of Pink Floyd. His behavior became erratic and dissapeard from the spotlight.

Axl Rose is one of the founding members and frontman / chief songwriter of GNR.  After the original band broke up, his behavior became erratic and with the exception of the 2002 Tour & VMA`s, he has dissapeared from the spotlight and voluntarily went into seclusion..

Syd really snapped mentally, which is the reason for his seclusion. Axl may have snapped somewhat, which may be the reason for his avoidance of the media, giving interviews, keeping his fans informed = voluntary seclusion.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 09:33:16 PM »

Good post. I've seen the similarities between the two since the late 90's. I read a book about eccentric rock stars years ago, and there was a chapter about Syd. His story really boggles the mind, not just his behavior but how he basically threw his success down the toilet. The major difference between Axl and Syd is this: Syd never said he would deliver a new album to his fans.

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 09:33:53 PM »

Is there a point to this thread? A question you want answered? Anything?

Or is this just .. axl is kinda like syd , they both were song writers and they both are a lil fucked in the head! Cause if so , theres way more then syd you can compare too .. but then again , live8 just happened and floyd is on everyones mind.  Roll Eyes

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 09:43:27 PM »

Or is this just .. axl is kinda like syd , they both were song writers and they both are a lil fucked in the head! Cause if so , theres way more then syd you can compare too .. but then again , live8 just happened and floyd is on everyones mind.? Roll Eyes

I`m just saying Axl`s behavior over the last few years is like a tamer version of Syd Barrett`s breakdown and subsequent seclusion. I don`t have a specific question, just looking to see what the other Gunners here think about the connection between the two.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 09:49:41 PM »

Or is this just .. axl is kinda like syd , they both were song writers and they both are a lil fucked in the head! Cause if so , theres way more then syd you can compare too .. but then again , live8 just happened and floyd is on everyones mind.  Roll Eyes

I`m just saying Axl`s behavior over the last few years is like a tamer version of Syd Barrett`s breakdown and subsequent seclusion. I don`t have a specific question, just looking to see what the other Gunners here think about the connection between the two.

Oh. Well I think theres no connection between them at all. Syd had a drug/LSD induced breakdown. We really have no explanation why axl went away for as long as he did.

Axl also fought for and kept his band's name , has kept recording material under the bands name and has toured and made TV appearances.

IMHO , no connection. Just more grasping at straws on our part cause theres dick all going on.  no

W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 10:27:57 PM »

Yeah, there's really no connection at all between axl & syd. Syd's demise was pretty much due to taking massive amounts of LSD from what i've read & he's actually become like not suitable to function in public at all. Didn't syd barret have to move back into his mothers house cause he was unable to care for himself? Also, Pink Floyd hit it big by singing songs about their fallen friend, so it's not like syd got them huge then disappeared. Didn't Gilmour come into the band after barret as well, so the musical direction totally changed i think.?.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 10:34:28 PM »

Yeah, there's really no connection at all between axl & syd. Syd's demise was pretty much due to taking massive amounts of LSD from what i've read & he's actually become like not suitable to function in public at all. Didn't syd barret have to move back into his mothers house cause he was unable to care for himself? Also, Pink Floyd hit it big by singing songs about their fallen friend, so it's not like syd got them huge then disappeared. Didn't Gilmour come into the band after barret as well, so the musical direction totally changed i think.?.

exactly!!! You totally hit the nail on the head.  ok

MikeB
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 11:16:07 PM »

I remember getting slammed for comparing Axl to Jim Morrison . It's only a matter of an opinion right ? But I agree how Axl and Syd are alike
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 11:18:23 PM »

I remember getting slammed for comparing Axl to Jim Morrison . It's only a matter of an opinion right ? But I agree how Axl and Syd are alike

but the thing is , if you really try you can find some similarites in most people. especially people in the same profession.

August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 11:31:36 PM »

completely groundless and ignorant comparison.

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 11:33:54 PM »

When you get down to it, the best comparison for Axl is Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. ?Here's a guy who once had sand from the beach brought into a sandbox in the studio so a piano could sit in it and give the music more of a "beach" sound. ?It took him over 20 years to release his supposed masterpiece, Smile. ?He left a successful band and is immensely talented. ?If that's not Axl's soul mate I don't know who is?
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 11:37:01 PM »

When you get down to it, the best comparison for Axl is Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.  Here's a guy who once had sand from the beach brought into a sandbox in the studio so a piano could sit in it and give the music more of a "beach" sound.  It took him over 20 years to release his supposed masterpiece, Smile.  He left a successful band and is immensely talented.  If that's not Axl's soul mate I don't know who is?

sounds , to me anyway , more like Bucketheads soulmate.  hihi

gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 11:41:29 PM »

Maybe Axl and Buckethead were too much alike and that's why it didn't work.  Kinda like when you date a girl that is too much like you, cool at first then it gets old.  Besides, how many certifiable nutcases do you need in one band, one seems to be enough.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 02:47:31 AM »

I heard Axl's gonna team up with Ric Flair and win the WWE Tag Team Title.  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
gnr54
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 04:36:50 AM »

I heard Axl's gonna team up with Ric Flair and win the WWE Tag Team Title.? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
hihi cool one
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 09:37:10 AM »

When you get down to it, the best comparison for Axl is Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.  Here's a guy who once had sand from the beach brought into a sandbox in the studio so a piano could sit in it and give the music more of a "beach" sound.  It took him over 20 years to release his supposed masterpiece, Smile.  He left a successful band and is immensely talented.  If that's not Axl's soul mate I don't know who is?

Great, compare axl to someone who is rumored to have a passion for little kids !!!! rant rant

what next ?

Nothing to say
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 10:30:41 AM »

I heard Axl's gonna team up with Ric Flair and win the WWE Tag Team Title.? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Will they style and profile all night long???   Grin
gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 01:56:51 PM »

Well, Jessica, they are both from Indiana.  MJ is trying to be white and Axl, with the braids and football jerseys, is looking kind of black.  Both have had some work done on their faces.  Both recluses and eccentrics.  Both pissed away early success.  Need I go on?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 02:20:50 PM »

I don't see Axl's wearing the braids and football jerseys as trying to be black. In 02 boots and recent pics He looks paler than he used to. Also No one knows if he had any work done to his face.

And I thought MJ was trying to be an android or the mannequin in Selfridges and not a white(human). MJ has been famous from his childhood.

Edit: sorry the topic was about the syd guy
 I don't know about him other than that he couldn't go on working in pink floyd because of the drug abuse. Am I right?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 02:29:55 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 03:15:57 PM »

Will they style and profile all night long?Huh ?Grin

You know it.  They'll be jet flyin, limosine ridin', kiss stealin', whealin' dealin' sons of guns!  WOOOOOOOOO!

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: