Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 08:33:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Huge opportunity missed with Live 8/one million in Philly
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Huge opportunity missed with Live 8/one million in Philly  (Read 8799 times)
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2005, 08:41:41 PM »

The Who are tearing it up on ABC right now!!!
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2005, 11:23:17 PM »

This would have been a great image rehabilitation event for Axl.? He could have performed for a great cause, to a huge audience.? Moreover, Axl could have done some duets with other great artists--the kind that seem to become legendary.? In addition, it is of my opinion, that Axl has delivered some of his best performances ever at huge festivals and at events of this nature.? Another opportunity missed.? One has to wonder, how many more they will have??

BTW, Hyde Park in London looks incredible--what an atmosphere for music!? Time for some Floyd!!!

axl missed his chance at the Super bowl this year when paul mccartney was performing live and let die with a "cd" shirt and he didn't show up.

thats when the final nail was put on the coffin of nu-GNR in my opinion.
im glad btw that VR showed up. they showed the world the great rock show that i had the pleasure of seeing back in may at PNC.
 Grin
MNR
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 11:47:50 PM by marknroses » Logged

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2005, 11:24:14 PM »

was it just me or did anybody else have goosebumbs when floyd played comfortably numb? simply beautiful!

It was one of those rock n roll moments one will never forget!  What a day for music!!

was it? i was in and out all day and haven't heard much on tv about it.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2005, 11:27:26 PM »

This would have been a great image rehabilitation event for Axl.  He could have performed for a great cause, to a huge audience.  Moreover, Axl could have done some duets with other great artists--the kind that seem to become legendary.  In addition, it is of my opinion, that Axl has delivered some of his best performances ever at huge festivals and at events of this nature.  Another opportunity missed.  One has to wonder, how many more they will have? 

BTW, Hyde Park in London looks incredible--what an atmosphere for music!  Time for some Floyd!!!

axl missed his chance at theuper bowl this year when paul mccartney was performing live and let die with a "cd" shirt and he didn't show up.

thats when the final nail was put on the coffin of nu-GNR in my opinion.
im glad btw that VR showed up. they showed the world the great rock show that i had the pleasure of seeing back in may at PNC.
 Grin
MNR

is this post a joke? If you are being serious, you need some help.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2005, 11:41:54 PM »

Amazing, you have not heard anything yet.? I just saw that Associated Press has it tabbed the "Greatest Concert Ever!"? To tell you the truth, I have never seen a festival show, including the Freddy Mercury Tribute Show, where every band came to play like they did today.? My God, that might have been Pink Floyd's greatest live moment ever!? The sound was mesmerizing.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 11:53:29 PM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2005, 12:54:20 AM »

Amazing, you have not heard anything yet.  I just saw that Associated Press has it tabbed the "Greatest Concert Ever!"  To tell you the truth, I have never seen a festival show, including the Freddy Mercury Tribute Show, where every band came to play like they did today.  My God, that might have been Pink Floyd's greatest live moment ever!  The sound was mesmerizing.

I saw some blurb scrolled on cNN but that's it. More on Natalee Holloway than this event.

I really despise charity events like this; as Neal Peart said, if these people knew what to do about the problem in Africa, they would do it. Hanging out and listening to music doesn't help the incredibly high rate of AIDS infection in South Africa.

axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2005, 01:50:12 AM »

Hey folks.

Major acts at Live 8 received around a 15-minute timeslot, so let's say that this applied to GNR. IF Axl had decided to play Live 8, what should they have played in their set? It is a bit of an art form to devise a good setlist for this type of short charity gig. Queen probably dit it best at Live Aid.

Here is what I would have suggested for this gig:

Welcome to the Jungle
Civil War (first half or so), leading into
Don't Cry
Paradise City

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2005, 02:02:07 AM »

this is sad. no

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2005, 04:01:31 AM »

Axl should think about a reunion FOR THE FANS. really. No disrespect to the curent Gn'R line-up, but people love when legendary bands reform (pink floyd). Axl-Slash-Duff are the real deal. reform "the magic three", this is a minimum. Fortus on rythm guitar and brain on drums. Everybody would be happy, old-band fans (the immense majority) and new band fans. Duff and slash were great yesterday. They just destroyed anything I heard and saw from tommy and Robin in GN'R over the last few years. Axl had better turn the page and put his ego appart. 10 years of personal conflicts and runaway egos are enough. Turn the page. For the fans, for all the music lovers. Plus they would sell tons and tons of million albums again. they would be extremely successfull, and fill every stadium in the world.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 04:09:31 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
MikeB
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2005, 04:16:44 AM »

This is just not the time for Axl isn't it ? Sucks for you Axl worshipers . My opinion about the guy ?has changed , I used to think the guy is cool but not anymore.Just because I love the ?music doesn't mean I can think he's a good person, although his lyrics make a great point sometime sometimes he had the right view of how things should've been. But admit it , the guy is a liar, coward , and hypocrite. He bashes gays , what does he do, goes and supports freddy mercury , performs with Elton John , sends flowers to the Pet Shop boys. He beated women , never gave a damn about the fans who got hurt when he walked-off stage.Hes so self-centered it's not funny. After all what us fans have done, supporting guns n' roses , after how many merchandise we bought . He has the dumbest excuses ever. Look how he disappears from us fans, Slash spent almost a decade going around playing at ?gigs and sessions , toured with side projects just to see his fans again, now there's a man that thanks his fans. Why couldn't Axl go start a solo project or play at session and gigs for his fans to see him again? I'm sorry to disappoint my friends here after how I supported Axl with you in the past. You mind as well talk to the air if you wish hard for a comeback from Axl. He's afraid of criticizm which is why he needs everything so perfect. Wether you people like it or not he's a has-been Undecided if he wasn't why does he hide from the public? But I give it to him , he is the last great frontman we ever had in a long time. But performing with a bunch of members in a band that don't fit in is not going to regain his respect. And Axl if you're reading this, I'm not trying to piss you off , i'm trying to help you brother. Stop dwelling on your bad childhood and move on.
MikeB
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2005, 04:23:50 AM »

He has the dumbest excuses ever.
When he refused to show up to the concerts in the us tour 2002, he says his airplane landed late and he was watching a basketball game, good rock star? Angry? And remember last year in april04 he said that he was going to announce a release date in 4 months? See, I could go on forever.i know a lot of people are going to hate me now , but why, because I tell the truth? And why did Nirvana kill rock n' roll? Because Axl let Cobain take the bullet. I hate nirvana's music but unlike Axl , they cared about their fans, fans love a band that cares about them. After all the canceled gigs, the fans said "fuck it, we can only listen to the music but we're not allowed to watch them perform?" Axl pissed his fame away without a doubt . Maybe if Axl wasn't  self-centered about his fame , Mtv would of said "nah we won't play that grunge crap,we got Guns n' Roses who cares about their fans which we need and we'll play  new Rock n Roll artists on here soon." Thats why grunge/alternative took over because they loved their fans for turning on the band they hated for them. Back then when Gn'r was on top,it was people like Kurt Cobain's goal to take their throne as the biggest band ever from them, how Axl didn't care about his fans was the target for their shit music to take over.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 04:58:17 AM by MikeB » Logged
MikeB
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2005, 05:07:56 AM »

In the early 90's , here's how Mtv's point of veiw was ," Guns n Roses don't care about their fans because the leadsinger is a dickhead and the most notorious frontman Ozzy is retiring, so who's left?" There was the was the spark of the grunge/alternative generation.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2005, 06:37:20 AM »

Axl wasn't there because velvet revolver was, i'm sure it's because of that. No need CD to be ready to perform, to sing one song, to duet, even on an old song. 5 MINUTES. is it too much to ask for a 10 years + reclusive? He was asked to be part of the greatest musical event ever, he was asked because he is one of the greatest artist ever, but he refused. he snubed it because his so called "enemies" Slash and Duff were there. They were in London, Axl could have been in philly if he wanted to, on the other part of the planet and not see them ,but he still said no, That's what I call a childish behaviour. it seems his own? ego is more important for himself than helping the poors who don't have enough to eat.
Well done Axl. Well done...

here is a Duff interview from yesterday for a german TV: http://velvetrevolver.nbalive.org/050702_Live8_Interview_Duff_BNN-www.velvet-revolver.com.asf
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 06:58:01 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2005, 07:51:23 AM »

He could have come on with no pressures, no album to promote. no band politics. Just be there for his fans and for the sake of the cause.  He could have performed Sweet child  and then either 'We will rock u' with Queen/ or 'November Rain' with Elton and today he'd be ready to get his ass into gear. Because he would be pumped up, people would have gone nuts man.

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
Scree
VIP

Waiting

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2005, 07:53:02 AM »

I really despise charity events like this; as Neal Peart said, if these people knew what to do about the problem in Africa, they would do it. Hanging out and listening to music doesn't help the incredibly high rate of AIDS infection in South Africa.

(I'm not getting into the argument over whether Axl should have played at Live 8 or not, but I do want to point out a major misconception about this event)

Live 8 is not a charity event. This is not about raising money, simply awareness to the fact that these things are happening. I have seen some asshole TV companies yesterday selling this as a Pay Per View and that all proceeds will go to the "charity". That's gonna be hard since they aren't accepting donations. Hell the tickets were given away free (though for a short time e-Bay had a few up there from a few chancers, but those were quickly closed).

The slogan for the event is "We don't want your money, we want your voice".  And as far as Neal Peart is concerned (as well as anyone who buys into what he says), well he can go fuck himself. At least people are trying and not sitting at home being armchair critics when there is even a small chance for change.

Scree

Life is a strange thing. Just when you think you've learnt how to use it it's gone.
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2005, 08:03:50 AM »

I agree that Axl did miss a big opportunity to show the world he is alive and well and can still rock the fuck out of thousands of people.? ?However, IMO, if he isn't ready to release CD yet, isn't ready to tour himself with his band and his band members are all over the place there is no way he could have been prepared to do this.? I believe that if Axl did do it I don't think he would have gotten booed as MikeB mentioned in a post earlier.? ?I think that people like to bash Axl but when he performs and he is doing what he does best, people forget about all the other stuff and get completely lost in Axl's ability to have you mesmorized on him on stage.? ?Sucks that he wasn't a part of it but that was expected.? ? I also believe that Axl wouldn't of performed the first time being on a bill with VR even if it's in another part of the world. Wink
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 10:44:03 AM by DoubleTalkingJive » Logged

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
Dust N Rose
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2005, 09:29:34 AM »

Maybe if Axl wasn't? self-centered about his fame , Mtv would of said "nah we won't play that grunge crap,we got Guns n' Roses who cares about their fans which we need and we'll play? new Rock n Roll artists on here soon." Thats why grunge/alternative took over because they loved their fans for turning on the band they hated for them.

LOL, good one? ok
If you really believe that MTV is that corny and has true feelings and acts that way, oh well? drool.
Anyway, you blame Axl more than he deserves? hihi

Maybe they weren't prepared, whatever guys... Axl might not want to participate to this. You can't blame him for not promoting his C.D. but for not showing any sign of care.? Wink
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 09:31:19 AM by New Rose » Logged
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2005, 11:41:54 AM »

I agree that Axl did miss a big opportunity to show the world he is alive and well and can still rock the fuck out of thousands of people.   However, IMO, if he isn't ready to release CD yet, isn't ready to tour himself with his band and his band members are all over the place there is no way he could have been prepared to do this.  I believe that if Axl did do it I don't think he would have gotten booed as MikeB mentioned in a post earlier.   I think that people like to bash Axl but when he performs and he is doing what he does best, people forget about all the other stuff and get completely lost in Axl's ability to have you mesmorized on him on stage.   Sucks that he wasn't a part of it but that was expected.    I also believe that Axl wouldn't of performed the first time being on a bill with VR even if it's in another part of the world. Wink

I guarentee that 90-95 percent of the people there went to hear music not some politics about Africa. If that continent's problems are to be solved, governments need to act. Listening to some crunchy jam while smoking some reefer isn't going to change the world despite what thousands of beatnik graduates of Woodstock will lead you to believe.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2005, 11:43:40 AM »

I agree that Axl did miss a big opportunity to show the world he is alive and well and can still rock the fuck out of thousands of people.   However, IMO, if he isn't ready to release CD yet, isn't ready to tour himself with his band and his band members are all over the place there is no way he could have been prepared to do this.  I believe that if Axl did do it I don't think he would have gotten booed as MikeB mentioned in a post earlier.   I think that people like to bash Axl but when he performs and he is doing what he does best, people forget about all the other stuff and get completely lost in Axl's ability to have you mesmorized on him on stage.   Sucks that he wasn't a part of it but that was expected.    I also believe that Axl wouldn't of performed the first time being on a bill with VR even if it's in another part of the world. Wink

I don't see why his absence is such an issue. He has been MIA for three years now. I still have yet to see highlights of this on the news.

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2005, 12:38:01 PM »

I agree that Axl did miss a big opportunity to show the world he is alive and well and can still rock the fuck out of thousands of people.? ?However, IMO, if he isn't ready to release CD yet, isn't ready to tour himself with his band and his band members are all over the place there is no way he could have been prepared to do this.? I believe that if Axl did do it I don't think he would have gotten booed as MikeB mentioned in a post earlier.? ?I think that people like to bash Axl but when he performs and he is doing what he does best, people forget about all the other stuff and get completely lost in Axl's ability to have you mesmorized on him on stage.? ?Sucks that he wasn't a part of it but that was expected.? ? I also believe that Axl wouldn't of performed the first time being on a bill with VR even if it's in another part of the world. Wink

I don't see why his absence is such an issue. He has been MIA for three years now. I still have yet to see highlights of this on the news.

Since he has been MIA for years, it would be nice to see him at an event such as this just to get alot of exposure for CD and new GNR.  We all knew,  at  least the people who have been following this crazy train with Axl for years now, that he wasn't going to be there but all of these events that he has missed is just another event gone by to get himself noticed again infront of thousands and thousands of people.     

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: