Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 03:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228125 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  rock in rio 2006 - axl's return?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: rock in rio 2006 - axl's return?  (Read 20313 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2005, 07:00:11 PM »

Good post Kitano. I thought August was crazy for saying the new songs got great reviews, especially ones calling it 'epic'. Most reviews were shitty. I think the best review the live stuff got was from Rolling Stone. There was definitely worldwide interest following the VMA's. Axl just pissed it away. No album and a shitty setlist caused the disinterest in the tour. It was the absolute perfect time to release the album. If Axl's gonna wait for a better time than that to release the album, then we're in for an infinite wait.

August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2005, 07:09:33 PM »

"a shitty setlist"? man your negativism amazes me, especially since you claim to be a fan. the 2001/2002 setlists which we were fortunate enough to witness, were a very crowd pleasing set and more than most people had hoped for, as alot of guns n' roses fans feared that he would ignore the old classics. but he didn't, he gave the crowd and the fans what they wanted, and got slammed for it. it's ridicilous. and if you wanna look for the review that called madagascar "epic", look through the post-rio 2001 reviews. i think it was the rolling stone one, and in my opinion madagascar, though only heard as a live bootleg, is one of the best songs to ever surface. and make no mistake, i'm not blindly defending axl, i just believe in this project alot and i'm known to stand up for what i believe in.

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2005, 07:24:12 PM »

August, it WAS a shitty setlist. And alot of hardcore fans will agree with me on this. It was a rehash of AFD with a few extras tossed in. You say everyone wanted the classics? Bullshit! Axl's major fanbase wanted new material, and he only tossed some minor bones at us. It pissed alot of people off. And thats why this tour failed. In 91, GNR did as far as I'm concerned, the greatest tour in history, and it will never be repeated again(by anybody). People were starving for new material, and half the songs played(sometimes more) were the songs nobody had heard. This was a big risk, but they did it and it blew the crowds minds. Alot of people expected Axl to do the same in 2002. He didn't. So he spent part of the tour playing to half empty arenas. My negativism?? I'm not negative, I'm being realistic. And as far as you saying I "claim" to be a fan. Thats way out of line!! Those types of comments should only be said to someone's face, not on an anonymous message board.

August 18th
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2005, 07:38:27 PM »

August, it WAS a shitty setlist. And alot of hardcore fans will agree with me on this. It was a rehash of AFD with a few extras tossed in. You say everyone wanted the classics? Bullshit! Axl's major fanbase wanted new material, and he only tossed some minor bones at us. It pissed alot of people off. And thats why this tour failed. In 91, GNR did as far as I'm concerned, the greatest tour in history, and it will never be repeated again(by anybody). People were starving for new material, and half the songs played(sometimes more) were the songs nobody had heard. This was a big risk, but they did it and it blew the crowds minds. Alot of people expected Axl to do the same in 2002. He didn't. So he spent part of the tour playing to half empty arenas. My negativism?? I'm not negative, I'm being realistic. And as far as you saying I "claim" to be a fan. Thats way out of line!! Those types of comments should only be said to someone's face, not on an anonymous message board.

well i actually thougt of writing "seem to be a fan", but your posts as of late seem to be mostly negative. anyway, maybe it was out of line, i'm just sick of axl's own fans turning on him, it's the last thing he needs. but listen, you're a good poster, i apologize for that one. that being said, i didn't say that "everyone" wanted the old material, but hey, here's some news for you: most of axl's fans don't even follow his current carreer, so they wanted the old material played first and foremost, and were glad to see axl back on stage. that was the jist of it, and that is why the old songs received alot more response than the new ones. this isn't 1992 anymore, face it, most people come to see gn'r out of nostalgia and curiousity. axl knows this and considers it, that is why, with no new record out, he decided to please the fans of the old group, which is a majority, as well as give some hints of what's to come to the hardcore ones. again, sorry about my first comment, i should've typed "seem" and i promise you i even considered typing that. no hard feelings i hope, it was a miss on my part.

W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2005, 08:02:54 PM »

Dude, u r such a joker. Just yesterday u told me i must not be a real fan, so why would u take offense to someone saying it to u? And once again u r making up shit & posting it as fact, like people being mad they played so much AFD material!!!!! Most people going to those shows didn't even know there was sum supposed album called CD in the works. If axl had gone out to the few shows he played & done 10 songs the audience had never heard before, his shortened tour would've been that much shorter.
 People were confused in '91 when they were playing never heard before songs, it's just GNR was so huge at that point they could've walked out on stage & played catch & the crowd still would've loved it. They were the Beatles with all the screaming girls drowning out the music at that point. The setlist had nothing to do with why that toured failed.
 Also, UYI's supposed to of already been released when those early '91 shows happened, but someone kept stalling. So it was definitely not part of the plan to be playing unreleased songs, but they could get away with it then. People were just happy to see the band at all.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2005, 08:09:16 PM »

The reason most people dont follow the band is because nothing ever happens. They still wanted to hear new material. Its only logical that fans since 87 would want to hear some new shit. I think the tour would've gotten a better response if he would've played about 9 or 10 new songs, with a few 'classics' thrown in. He made a major mistake by not doing this. As far as your comments about some of my recent posts being negative, maybe you're right. But I NEVER insult Axl or take personal shots at him. Never have, never will. I usually discuss the strangeness of this CD situation, and some negativity will come out as a result of discussing that topic. Did you finally read that NYT article? Did it make your heart skip a beat?

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2005, 08:13:45 PM »

BotAxl, the reason I said that to you yesterday is because you mostly just post personal insults about Axl. But I actually considered sending you an apology by PM. I figured your personal insults of Axl is just your way of venting frustrations.

August 18th
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2005, 08:16:12 PM »

The reason most people dont follow the band is because nothing ever happens. They still wanted to hear new material. Its only logical that fans since 87 would want to hear some new shit. I think the tour would've gotten a better response if he would've played about 9 or 10 new songs, with a few 'classics' thrown in. He made a major mistake by not doing this. As far as your comments about some of my recent posts being negative, maybe you're right. But I NEVER insult Axl or take personal shots at him. Never have, never will. I usually discuss the strangeness of this CD situation, and some negativity will come out as a result of discussing that topic. Did you finally read that NYT article? Did it make your heart skip a beat?

actually it was an eye-opener, but this is my take on the article, i posted this in the article thread:

i think, as the article somewhat points out, that axl has become so buried under all of his visions and all of his work that he doesn't know how to put it all together into one package, mixed with the fact that he doesn't want this album to come out unless it is perfect in his eyes. this is a somewhat sad personal situation for him, but it also tells me that axl truly wants to make the best damn guns record possible, and not only for himself, but to live up to the enormous expectations from the fans and the rest of the world, to live up to and again add new glory to the name guns n' roses. he wants this project to surpass his previous efforts, and this is obviously a task so big that he's crumbling under it, but not giving up, because he, as we do, knows what he is capable of. this to me is personally alot more satisfying than if he was to rush out some half-done, half-assed album under the guns n' roses name and ruin it's legacy. and i think in the end, most fans will end up thanking him for it.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2005, 08:26:08 PM »

You sure know how to put a positive spin on that article, dont you? LMAO! It was a pretty damning article concerning our hopes for CD. It was definitely a nail in the coffin for CD. Not the final nail, but a nail nonetheless.

August 18th
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2005, 09:51:25 PM »

You sure know how to put a positive spin on that article, dont you? LMAO! It was a pretty damning article concerning our hopes for CD. It was definitely a nail in the coffin for CD. Not the final nail, but a nail nonetheless.

i call it as i see it, and i know that axl has way too much talent and integrity not to make a joke of himself by not releasing chinese democracy. i don't know when it will happen, and to be honest with you, i don't really care anymore, as long as he relases it when he's ready. and when he does that, it will be, in his own words, "out of the ballpark".

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2005, 09:54:03 PM »

I find it funny how GNR fans sit around and call the setlist for the 2002 tour "bad" or "shitty" .. same with people hating on the greatest hits tracklist .. what kind of GNR "fans" are ya?!

August 18th
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2005, 09:57:06 PM »

I find it funny how GNR fans sit around and call the setlist for the 2002 tour "bad" or "shitty" .. same with people hating on the greatest hits tracklist .. what kind of GNR "fans" are ya?!

that's what i was wondering. and btw, james, your usage of the word "shitty" about the appetite set list was what made me raise that question, nothing else. just so you know.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2005, 10:01:45 PM »

Saul, we're the kind of fans who want to hear something new instead of the millionth rendition of 'Jungle',etc. If I want to hear the old stuff, I'll listen to the old albums or listen to a concert from the old days. And as far as your comments about the Hits album, the tracklist must have been picked by someone who is blind and deaf. GNR has too much great material for a 3rd of the album to be covers.

Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2005, 10:08:34 PM »

Saul, we're the kind of fans who want to hear something new instead of the millionth rendition of 'Jungle',etc. If I want to hear the old stuff, I'll listen to the old albums or listen to a concert from the old days. And as far as your comments about the Hits album, the tracklist must have been picked by someone who is blind and deaf. GNR has too much great material for a 3rd of the album to be covers.

I guess thats all your opinion. I couldnt imagine a GNR concert with WTTJ , SCOM & PC?!  nervous

Moreover , with no album ready for release why on earth would axl go out and play all his new songs? So we could sit back and bootleg them and get kinda used to them as we have with most of the new material we have heard? What good would the album be if we allready had all the songs?

As for the greatest hits ... most of the songs on that album are the SINGLES GNR released , get it? Regardless , they are all songs recorded by GNR (read : recorded , not written) and they all fucking smoke! If you dont like that then fine .. but to be hating on GNR material is plain out hating on GNR. I bet that album got GNR a bunch of new fans who flocked out to by AFD , Lies and UYI's afterwards.

It's like dealing drugs , give em a taste , for free and get them on the comeback .. the comeback .. thats where the money is!  ok

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2005, 10:10:44 PM »

I guess thats all your opinion. I couldnt imagine a GNR concert with WTTJ , SCOM & PC?!  nervous

Moreover , with no album ready for release why on earth would axl go out and play all his new songs? So we could sit back and bootleg them and get kinda used to them as we have with most of the new material we have heard? What good would the album be if we allready had all the songs?

As for the greatest hits ... most of the songs on that album are the SINGLES GNR released , get it? Regardless , they are all songs recorded by GNR (read : recorded , not written) and they all fucking smoke! If you dont like that then fine .. but to be hating on GNR material is plain out hating on GNR. I bet that album got GNR a bunch of new fans who flocked out to by AFD , Lies and UYI's afterwards.

It's like dealing drugs , give em a taste , for free and get them on the comeback .. the comeback .. thats where the money is!  ok

especially if he gives his fans five years to digest any new tracks that he plays in concert.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2005, 10:13:14 PM »

I guess thats all your opinion. I couldnt imagine a GNR concert with WTTJ , SCOM & PC?!? nervous

It's like dealing drugs , give em a taste , for free and get them on the comeback .. the comeback .. thats where the money is!? ok

i agree, i think this was all carefully orchestred by axl. he's a smart dude and a clever businessman, he knows what works.

Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2005, 10:15:31 PM »

especially if he gives his fans five years to digest any new tracks that he plays in concert.

There ya go. I mean it's gunna be cool to have a real studio version of madagascar .. but really , will it be THAT much better then versions I have now? Will there be much , if any difference in the actual musical notes? The beats? the lyrics?  Huh

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2005, 10:19:45 PM »

There ya go. I mean it's gunna be cool to have a real studio version of madagascar .. but really , will it be THAT much better then versions I have now? Will there be much , if any difference in the actual musical notes? The beats? the lyrics?  Huh

Well according some peeps on this board, Fortus and Finck are so much better suited for Guns than Bucket. Maybe the Finck will infinitely bend the Madagascar solo and suck himself into a black hole. Could be interesting to hear.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2005, 10:23:21 PM »

Well according some peeps on this board, Fortus and Finck are so much better suited for Guns than Bucket. Maybe the Finck will infinitely bend the Madagascar solo and suck himself into a black hole. Could be interesting to hear.

Yeah. Ever notice how when you pass a automobile accident scene you can help but slow down and look?  nervous

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2005, 08:11:17 PM »

Back to Rio for a minute. If GNR performs at Rio, will you be happy with another rehash of AFD and the same 3 to 5 'new' songs being played? Or would you rather have a completely revamped setlist?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: