Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:39:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What Do You Consider "Earth Shattering"?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Do You Consider "Earth Shattering"?  (Read 9117 times)
madagas
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 10:53:37 AM »

I think I was done with them by mid 92! Now, I listen to the same set of about 8-12 songs. Actually, I rarely listen to old Gnr anymore-just sporadically-same goes for the new/old songs of 2001. Still waiting on that new cd-wow-14 years! Scary that I even still discuss it. Shocked
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 10:54:43 AM »

Can any non diehard sit and listen to the UYI's cover to cover? 
I'm a die hard and don't always listen to all the songs..
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2005, 10:59:18 AM »

For me Earth Shattering

Definitely - Stairway to Heaven, Kashmir - 2 songs as a young teenager I listened to almost everyday
Pink Floyd - Confortably Numb
GNR - Estranged, WTTJ, SCOM

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2005, 11:22:29 AM »

I wonder if Tommy ever actually sat and listened to the Illusions from cover to cover? Or did he just learn the songs Axl told him they would play live? Hmmmm

I'd venture to say he's heard parts of the Ilusions throughout, but not in their entirety and no way in one sitting.

Can any non diehard sit and listen to the UYI's cover to cover??

Come on guys. He's in the fucking band right? He's heard all the songs and he probably knows how to play the vast majority of them. How could you not know the songs if you are in the band. that's just silly talk

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2005, 11:24:39 AM »

I wonder if Tommy ever actually sat and listened to the Illusions from cover to cover? Or did he just learn the songs Axl told him they would play live? Hmmmm

I'd venture to say he's heard parts of the Ilusions throughout, but not in their entirety and no way in one sitting.

Can any non diehard sit and listen to the UYI's cover to cover??

Come on guys. He's in the fucking band right? He's heard all the songs and he probably knows how to play the vast majority of them. How could you not know the songs if you are in the band. that's just silly talk

was probably no reason to learn all the songs.. Axl must have said these are the songs we are going to play.. Wonder if they still remember them.. if you have 8 guys you are going to spend time learning only what you need ,if the album comes out I'm sure only staples will stay like scom, PC wttj, nr patience
madagas
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 12:03:35 PM »

see, I forgot about Floyd! Comfortably Numb-Echoes-Brain Damage-Mother,etc. beer
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 12:40:21 PM »

Faith No More - Angel Dust

Hell Fucking Yeah!!!

Land of Sunshine is one of the greatest opening tracks on a rock album!

FNM...the most underated rock band ever!

"Smiles...Bruises!"

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 12:46:57 PM »

Unless they were a part of a rehearsal or setlist he's actually been a part of playing, I seriously doubt he
knows how to play them....

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 12:48:52 PM »

Faith No More - Angel Dust

Hell Fucking Yeah!!!

Land of Sunshine is one of the greatest opening tracks on a rock album!

FNM...the most underated rock band ever!

"Smiles...Bruises!"

That album rules, My fav's are Mid-life Crisis and A small victory, RV is pretty cool too though

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 12:52:12 PM »

Unless they were a part of a rehearsal or setlist he's actually been a part of playing, I seriously doubt he
knows how to play them....

Whatever you guys say. What else would they have done with all their free time in the studio w/out Axl? I'm sure they would've done more than write new stuff and practice like 12 songs, we'll never know anyway so no point in arguing

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 12:53:03 PM »

I'm sure all the members had a good listen to the work of old gnr throughout. They're not the bumble. I bet Tommy prefers UYI to AFD.

In talking about earthshattering music n Zep, "ahem.. ♪♩♪♩♩..♩..♩You need coolin Baby I'm not foolin..", Whole lotta love just pops into my head. The lyrics are not exactly earthshaking or anything tho.
I'm quite fussy that I don't call so many songs "earthshattering".

I'm counting on the outcome of the Riyadh trend.  love
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2005, 01:00:42 PM »

I bet Tommy prefers UYI to AFD.

I'd bet otherwise, doubting his Minneapolis punk pedigree would lead him to find much on the UYI's
even remotely interesting/relateable.  Too much butt rock excessiveness.

Just speculating of course.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2005, 04:09:26 PM »

jimmy, COUNTLESS other earth shattering songs?? I dont think so. Of course, there's countless great songs, but earth shattering? Nah. But I guess its a matter of opinion. I was hoping no one would pick GNR songs. Cause as you know, when it comes to GNR, we're all a little biased. LMAO!!

well I stand by that entirely

I am a huge GNR fan, but I am also a huge fan of music and I dont limit myself to just GNR
It would be very naive of me to allow myself to think that GNR were the sole artists capable of producing "earth shattering" music

there are too many to name (hendrix, Jeff buckley, led zepplin, soundgarden, miles davis, dylan just to name a few)

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2005, 04:47:23 PM »

Some great pics, guys. Everyone's got pretty good taste in music. Someone mentioned how they thought Tommy just meant epics. Thats true. And someone also said they expect very few rockers on CD. I agree 100 percent. We're probably gonna get alot of November Rains and very few Jungles. But there's nothing wrong with that. It would be interesting to know if Tommy considers the songs we heard in 2002 'earth shattering'. I think a studio version of 'The Blues' might rate in that category.

madagas
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2005, 08:04:14 AM »

Forgot some more:
Radiohead-Fake Plastic Trees, Paranoid Android, How to Disappear Completely, Exit Music (For A Film)
The Clash-London Calling
Sex Pistols-Anarchy in the UK and God Save the Queen
U2-Bad, Sunday Bloody Sunday, One, Mothers of the Disappeared, One Tree Hill
Pearl Jam-Alive
more The Who- Who Are You, Overture/It's A Boy, Amazing Journey, Baba O' Riley. Hell, they had a ton in the early 70's! drool
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 12:52:20 PM by madagas » Logged
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2005, 01:52:16 PM »

Most of the songs mentioned are mere tremors, if you ask me. Because of the impacts from their Seismic Waves they may seem shaking but on the Richter scale they are slight twitches with the magnitudes of 2 and under. Not that it scales the beauty of the songs. peace

I'd bet otherwise, doubting his Minneapolis punk pedigree would lead him to find much on the UYI's
even remotely interesting/relateable.  Too much butt rock excessiveness.

I thought the flavour of hair metal might put off a punk kid a bit and that of stones could be a turnon.

Yep, pure speculation. We must ask poor Tommy one of these days. yes
disease51883
Rocker

Hey, you caught me in a Coma...

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2005, 06:34:18 AM »

even remotely interesting/relateable.? Too much butt rock excessiveness.

Ppbebe kind of beat me to it, but I?d think Tommy would probably prefer the Illusions. He has stated that he didn?t think much of GNR during their initial run, and I?m sure they were a little too pop metal for his tastes. I?d assume he likes the material he?s helped create for Chinese Democracy though. I?d also assume that Chinese Democracy will be closer to the Illusions than to Appetite. But, yeah, like everyone else, I?m just assuming.

As for earth-shattering songs, I immediately think of ?Kashmir? by Led Zeppelin. Maybe ?Paint It, Black? by the Rolling Stones. And to a lesser extent, maybe ?Three Days? and ?Then She Did?? by Jane?s Addiction.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 08:40:47 AM by disease51883 » Logged
madagas
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2005, 08:31:57 AM »

Nice call on Three Days.....was the morning! ok
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2005, 08:35:30 AM »

disease, GREAT pick!! 'Three Days' is an incredible song. But you're right about 'Kashmir'. In my opinion, 'Kashmir' is the perfect example of an earth shattering song. 'Stairway to Heaven' is considered their opus. People are wrong. Its 'Kashmir'.

madagas
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2005, 09:06:55 AM »

I just saw Mr. Plant last night...in my 'hood...2 miles from my house. Good show. PPBEBE, he ended with Whole Lotta Love. He played a lot of Zep classics but rearranged them nicely. I like it when an artist puts a different spin on their songs....our little redhead should learn a few tricks from the masters! peace beer OOOOOOOHHHHHH MY HEAD, ROCK ROCK! ok
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: