Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:35:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What Do You Consider "Earth Shattering"?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Do You Consider "Earth Shattering"?  (Read 9106 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« on: June 28, 2005, 10:08:18 PM »

I was reading some of Tommy's old interviews, and I stumbled upon one that I hadn't read in awhile, and he made an interesting comment(or hype) about CD. He said that CD has six or seven songs that are "earth shattering". Out of all the comments made by bandmembers, this one stands out among them all. If he is indeed telling the truth, and not just blowing smoke, then I'm gonna have to side with the extremely positive people on this board and say that CD will be the greatest album of all time. There isnt very many truly earth shattering songs in existence. Which leads to my question. What songs have you listened to that you truly consider "earth shattering"? If I had to pick, I would say 'Kashmir' by Led Zep. That song always sent chills up my spine. I might also classify 'The End' by The Doors as earth shattering.

smith13
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 10:26:27 PM »

scom  wttj Huh  you shook me all night long ac dc
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 11:03:57 PM »

sweet child, estranged, coma, jungle, paradise city rocket queen (guns)
countless other songs by other bands/singers

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 11:17:21 PM »

Faith No More - Angel Dust

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
MikeB
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 11:36:49 PM »

If there's a band out there who's music I consider the most  earth shattering , definetly Led Zeppelin. I think Welcome to the Jungle was earth shattering at the time when it was released, most 90's to modern music can kiss my ass.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 12:40:09 AM »

jimmy, COUNTLESS other earth shattering songs?? I dont think so. Of course, there's countless great songs, but earth shattering? Nah. But I guess its a matter of opinion. I was hoping no one would pick GNR songs. Cause as you know, when it comes to GNR, we're all a little biased. LMAO!!

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 12:46:37 AM »

Jesus Of Suburbia - not earth shattering to all , but when I heard it and realized Green Day could write a song like that it shattered my earth! It's now my favorite song.

If Democracy has one song with as many twists and turns but still telling a cohesive story as Jesus Of Suburbia I'll be happy.  peace

Thats only my OPINION!  nervous

fartinabag
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 03:41:37 AM »

Faith No More - Angel Dust

Hell Fucking Yeah!!!
awhellzno05
Headliner

Oh no! Oh no! "Oh Yeah!" - Kool Aid Man

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 03:47:12 AM »

Lynard Skynard - Freebird,  Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody, Guns N' Roses - Estranged, WTTJ, SCOM, NR, Breakdown

The Devil hates a loser
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 04:09:43 AM »

free bird, stairway to heaven

Hard for a list because earth shattering is just a bad word to use..

I'm sure the music is good and he also wants to pump it up as well..
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 04:23:47 AM »

Yeah, it was a strange choice of words to describe their music. Probably just hyping it. But I was curious as to what songs you guys would classify in that category. It took me awhile to think of the 2 songs I chose. Which makes it hard to believe that CD has 6 or 7 earth shatterers, when I cant even think of 6 or 7 from all the bands in the world combined. I can think of several albums of that magnitude(AFD, Dark Side of the Moon, Physical Graffiti), but very difficult to think of earth shattering songs.

conny
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 06:21:11 AM »

Only earth shattering albums I can think of:

Are You Experienced
Electric Ladyland

Way ahead of their time, changed the face of music forever.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 07:57:24 AM »

Yeah, it was a strange choice of words to describe their music. Probably just hyping it. But I was curious as to what songs you guys would classify in that category. It took me awhile to think of the 2 songs I chose. Which makes it hard to believe that CD has 6 or 7 earth shatterers, when I cant even think of 6 or 7 from all the bands in the world combined. I can think of several albums of that magnitude(AFD, Dark Side of the Moon, Physical Graffiti), but very difficult to think of earth shattering songs.

yeah man great albums.. I guess an earth shattering group was the beatles or elvis, they were ahead of their time.. They still have the power to debut number one with the same hits they released 50 times already
Hendrix was ahead of his time.. I think chuck berry was ahead of his time..
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 09:43:10 AM »

Earth shattering, hmmm.? Let's see..

In terms of musical impact and social relevency, only 2 in my lifetime.

"God Save The Queen" by The Sex Pistols
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana

For me personally, besides the 2 mentioned above I've got a few that come to mind.

The Cult's "She Sells Sanctuary", GNR's SCOM, Crass's "So What?", Janes Addiction's "Mountain Song", NIN's "Head Like A Hole", The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army", The Cure's "Fascination Street" and AIC's "Man In The Box" to name a few that still resonate with me each time I hear them.

DISCLAIMER: The Nirvana "SLTS" mention was in no way meant to start any kind of
"Dead Horse" BS, so please refrain.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 09:52:28 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
madagas
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 09:53:42 AM »

But, dude, Nirvana like..sucks dude...like he doesn't know how to play guitar and just screams..dude. Grin Earth shattering probably means, to Tommy, epic and heavy-both lyrically and musically.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 10:03:10 AM »

I think Tommy meant "earth shattering" to mean, grand scale or epic or enormous, the term was used, IMO, as a description of how he feels about the songs, not neccessarily how the public will react to them. That kind of asumption would just be ignorant. (that the new songs will be instant classics and be compared to Stairway to Heaven or whatever other classic song)

When he said earth shattering I envisioned "Maddy" for some reason. Personally I think alot of the songs will be similar in makeup. to me Maddy sounds huge. much like estranged. I personnally don't think that there will be many rocker type songs on CD

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 10:05:33 AM »

But, dude, Nirvana like..sucks dude...like he doesn't know how to play guitar and just screams..dude. Grin Earth shattering probably means, to Tommy, epic and heavy-both lyrically and musically.

LOL Madman, nice. yes

"Earth shattering" is such a subjective term, it all depends on whose Earth is being shattered. ?

I don't think anything from CD will have any kind of musical/social relevence in a "big picture" scenario but I'm sure a tune or 2 might have that affect on more than a few Axl fans.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
madagas
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 10:09:32 AM »

Hendrix-Machine Gun, Voodoo Child-Slight Return
The Who-Won't Get Fooled Again
Dylan-Desolation Row, Visions of Johanna, It's Alright Ma..I'm Only Bleeding (could name 10 more as well)
Soungarden-Jesus Christ Pose
Gnr-Coma, Civil War, Estranged-the obvious AFD singles
Zep-How Many More Times
Stones-Gimme Shelter
AIC-The Rooster
Zappa-Willie the Pimp
Miles Davis-Miles Runs the Voodoo Down
Beatles-Hey Jude
Nirvana-SLTS, Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
The Replacements-Can't Hardly Wait, Here Comes a Regular, Alex Chilton, Unsatisfied
 ?ps I am sure I'm forgetting alot of my other favorites
madagas
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 10:16:39 AM »

You also have to remember Tommy's point of reference-The Replacements. Their songs hardly ever ventured over 4 minutes. So, epic and earth shattering to him could be 5-6 minute songs. To Tommy, something like PC is epic and earth shattering. I wonder if Tommy ever actually sat and listened to the Illusions from cover to cover? Or did he just learn the songs Axl told him they would play live? Hmmmm
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 10:44:42 AM »

I wonder if Tommy ever actually sat and listened to the Illusions from cover to cover? Or did he just learn the songs Axl told him they would play live? Hmmmm

I'd venture to say he's heard parts of the Ilusions throughout, but not in their entirety and no way in one sitting.

Can any non diehard sit and listen to the UYI's cover to cover? 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: