Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 11:26:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228543 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Wrestling...thats right, Wrestling!
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 739 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wrestling...thats right, Wrestling!  (Read 840996 times)
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #3400 on: December 16, 2005, 05:10:05 PM »

However, i have just received my Xmas Present off my father, its a Corn Snake and his name is Geoffrey! He rules. He just eat a mouse 6 times the size of his head, its like you or me eating an alsation!
Shit man, he better not be at the WM Party i have a fear of snakes nervous

...back on topic, watch TWC on Sunday, 8pm dude, it's Genesis (Christian's debut...)
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #3401 on: December 16, 2005, 05:12:21 PM »

Sweet thanks for the heads up man!
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #3402 on: December 17, 2005, 04:41:36 AM »

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, wrestling thread.  You guys rock hard.  If it wasn't for this thread I don't knw if I'd stiil be here.  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #3403 on: December 17, 2005, 01:53:11 PM »

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, wrestling thread.? You guys rock hard.? If it wasn't for this thread I don't knw if I'd stiil be here.? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drunken bastard!  Wink

You may as well of gone....

*Bump*

We need this thread stickied really. Ill try and get out of Jarmo's cupboard for 5 minutes or so and find his thread stickying tool from his tool box!

Evolution
« Reply #3404 on: December 17, 2005, 02:04:10 PM »

Good call sonny jim. How about MNM! They got shafted today  no
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #3405 on: December 17, 2005, 02:10:14 PM »

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, wrestling thread.? You guys rock hard.? If it wasn't for this thread I don't knw if I'd stiil be here.? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great to hear dude ok You rock to ?yes who needs the getting wasted thread, when your pissed or mashed just come here smoking

Armaggedon New Match: Boogeyman vs. Sylvan.....One word: SQUASH

Idiot Move of the Week: WWE's decision to give the tag belts to Batista & Rey Mysterio. ?MNM were great champs, and they only dropped 'em to this makeshift team in a lame attempt to make people actually care about the main event and it just goes to show just when it looks like they care WWE pisses on the tag division, Mexicools won that no.1 contender battle royal for nothing.....total idiot booking!
Evolution
« Reply #3406 on: December 17, 2005, 02:29:43 PM »

Poor Sylvan. Also Regal/Birchill Vs Lashley is expected to take place.

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #3407 on: December 17, 2005, 02:49:26 PM »

Also Regal/Birchill Vs Lashley is expected to take place.
WTF?

This is another thing that pisses me off.  Fine Lashley should be made to look like a monster but at the expense of Burchill?  The guy is great in the ring, he's got decent mic skills, he is a real talent, but do they push him....no, why? Because he hasn't pumped the same amount of steroids into him as the charismaless Lashley.....Such a fuckin' joke!
Evolution
« Reply #3408 on: December 17, 2005, 02:58:37 PM »

rant How long 'til The Boogeyman wrestles a proper match??
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #3409 on: December 17, 2005, 03:09:32 PM »

I think its only a matter of time before we see Lashley vs. Boogeyman.  The unstoppable force and the immovable object.  I don't know who is who and I don't care.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Evolution
« Reply #3410 on: December 17, 2005, 03:11:15 PM »

Anyone seen Velocity? Jamie Noble and The Trashman made their returns.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #3411 on: December 17, 2005, 03:33:02 PM »

Anyone seen Velocity? Jamie Noble and The Trashman made their returns.
The Bashman is back....

Wooooooooooooo!

So he's back but Danny isn't hihi remember our bet Evo Tongue
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 04:10:02 PM by Stoned » Logged
Evolution
« Reply #3412 on: December 17, 2005, 04:09:01 PM »

Embarrassed Aye
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #3413 on: December 17, 2005, 04:28:52 PM »

Just been watching Velocity, who comes up with Josh Matthews stupid names for people, is it him, is he really that retarded?  His nickname for Jamie Noble is The Redneck Messiah  rofl
Evolution
« Reply #3414 on: December 17, 2005, 04:41:34 PM »

Actually! Noble was announced as The Redneck Messiah on house shows during 2003 for some reason.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #3415 on: December 17, 2005, 05:56:19 PM »

Actually! Noble was announced as The Redneck Messiah on house shows during 2003 for some reason.
So he loses marks for originality and claiming it was his idea, what a total pleb!
R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #3416 on: December 17, 2005, 06:09:55 PM »

The Boogeyman intrigues me! Ive even tried eating some worms whilst performing a pumped up Dominator on an innocent bystander last night.

Oh the carnage!

I do like him though. Hes so bizarre he verges on cool and you always know that a good thing could be round the corner when the audience at a WWE show dont know what to think and are generally baffled. With that being said, i did only watch the show last night, i didnt listen to it due to listening to music.

Seems hes getting a faceish push though.

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #3417 on: December 17, 2005, 09:13:16 PM »

Former Tough Enough champion Matt Cappotelli has suffered yet another unfortunate setback and it could possibly put an end to his wrestling career. Doctors have recently diagnosed Matt Cappotelli with a brain tumor. He is scheduled to undergo tests in Ohio to further diagnose the tumor and to plan a treatment.

This couldn't have come at a worse time as Cappotelli was on the brink of finally being called up to the main WWE roster this week to shoot some vignettes for a planned WWE debut. Cappotelli was close to being called up in the summer of 2003, but it was nixed at the last minute. He then suffered a concussion in a match against Hardcore Holly in April of 2004 at a Smackdown house show. Cappotelli also suffered a broken leg at an OVW TV taping this past August. He had been teaming up with Mike Mizanin in several dark matches and WWE house shows during that time.

source - PWInsider.com

Fuckin' shame! I wish the dude all the best and hope he gets better and recovers from all of this... ok
Evolution
« Reply #3418 on: December 17, 2005, 09:20:59 PM »

That sucks. Loads of new call ups soon. The Miz and Cappotelli in the future. Idol Stevens with his ladies Beth and Shelly. All we need is The Highlanders!
Evolution
« Reply #3419 on: December 17, 2005, 09:28:44 PM »

As rugged as the craggy rocks of the Scottish Highlands, they bring to mind the land of lochs, glens, castles and bagpipes as they approach the squared circle. They're also living proof that tag team wrestling hasn't gone the way of the warring clans of old. Just don't let them catch you laughing at their kilts!

Since debuting in 2000, the Highlanders -- Robbie and Rory MacAlister -- have become bit players on WWE television. Most recently, they appeared on Smackdown as security guards, but they've also wrestled a handful of matches over the past year, earning both praise and invitations to return from WWE brass.

The bright lights of the WWE are a far cry from the drizzling gloom of their homeland. Rory (born Russell Murray) decided to pursue a career in the mat game after growing weary of his life in Scotland. Although he owned a small business and made good money, Rory longed for a change of scenery. Five years ago, he decided to pack his bags and move to Canada, where he met his future wife. He made his way to the Von Erich / Hart Brothers School of Wrestling in Cambridge, Ontario after a brief stint in Halifax. It was there that he met Robbie, and the Highlanders were born.

"The one good thing that came out of there was that it was where I hooked up with Robbie. That was my only reason for staying," says Rory. "Right off the bat, the first day, we clicked. The next day, he moved me into his house with his wife and family."

Like Rory, Robbie (real name: Derek Graham-Couch) is also a native Scot. He moved to Canada 17 years ago from Oban, Scotland. He recalls watching wrestling on television and being immediately hooked. Although his goal of becoming a professional wrestler was briefly put on hold a few years ago, he rededicated himself to realizing his longtime dream five years ago.

"It all came to a sudden halt when girls and partying came into play," says Robbie. "Due to this factor, everything I wanted to do in life didn't matter. When I stopped partying my perspectives on life became clear again and wrestling and working out became my number one goal in life, and here I am today."

At the Von Erich / Hart Brothers School of Wrestling, Waldo Von Erich took the young Scots under his wing, schooling them in the fundamentals of the mat game. The determination of both men impressed Von Erich.

"I thought they were pretty good guys," says Von Erich. "They had a different gimmick. They had the willpower to do it and they wanted to do it."

To this day, both men are quick to sing Von Erich's praises. "Waldo doesn't quite get the credit he was due from his time in wrestling. I believe Waldo did a lot for the business," says Rory.

Soon after leaving the school, the Highlanders quickly became mainstays at independent shows across the continent. Their gimmick was a hit, and calls from promoters kept pouring in, sometimes as many as three or four bookings a week. Both men are fortunate enough to make a living solely from wrestling.

"The amazing thing with me and Robbie was that right off the bat, we started getting work everywhere," says Rory. "I can't think of a promotion we did not work for. If you string a few letters together, we probably worked for them."

While working for the Massachusetts-based WWA New England promotion, the Highlanders caught the attention of Dr. Tom Pritchard, who was running weekend seminars in the area at the time. They were invited back by Pritchard, who was impressed by their no-nonsense ring style and distinctive gimmick.

"We went for half a dozen weekends and worked with Dr. Tom. I learned more in those six weekends than anything in the past year and a half," says Rory.

Shortly afterwards, the WWE came calling and the Highlanders were booked for shows in Montreal and Toronto -- in singles matches. Sharing a locker room with regular fixtures on WWE television didn't daunt Rory.

"If you meet one guy in a locker room, you've met a thousand. We're all pretty much the same. We just don't want to grow up," says Rory. "We've got the best Peter Pan job in the world. We've all got the same kind of goals and aspirations. We've all got the same sense of humour. Whether it be Triple H or just some random guy on the indy scene, we're all the same."

For his part, Robbie felt the call up to the WWE was a testament to half a decade of hard work and determination.

"You know, when you work for something so hard and get to where you wanted to get, it's quite an accomplishment, even if you aren't a mainstay," says Robbie. "Everything about it, whether training with Arn Anderson or meeting Mr. McMahon and having him tell you that you did a good job, is all a surreal experience."

Robbie and Rory received positive feedback from WWE management following their matches, and have been invited back on a fairly regular basis, appearing on Raw, Smackdown, Velocity and Heat. Although they've been used mostly in singles matches, the duo feels that the WWE would be well served to let them showcase their tag team abilities.

"I think tag team wrestling is in a pretty shoddy state right now, I really do," says Rory. "Tag team wrestling itself is a spectacle. It's the best art form in wrestling. There can be so much going on, it's like organized chaos."

Rory says teams who work well together, like the British Bulldogs or the Bushwhackers, are increasing harder to find in today's wrestling landscape.

"There really hasn't been any legitimate tag teams, guys that perform together, work together, live together. You can put two guys that look identical in a gimmick, call them a team, but if there's no cohesion there, it's not going to work. It is almost like singles matches in a tag match," says Rory.

"Today's tag matches are kind of like four guys just doing singles matches in the tag match," adds Robbie. "When you get two guys on the same page in the ring, you can have some very exciting action. I think they can bring a different side to a show, as each member can play off one another and be very entertaining to the crowd."

Despite getting a taste of life in the WWE, the Highlanders still relish the opportunity to perform before dozens of fans at independent shows.

"I think, for some people, there may be an ego kick there. For me, I don't care where it is, whether it be a WWE crowd or in front of 50 people. I just love the whole interaction with the crowd, because I firmly believe that our job is to make people emotional," says Rory.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the Highlanders are content to spend the rest of their careers at local shows across the country. Both men are currently trying to update their looks to make themselves more aesthetically pleasing to WWE higher-ups. While they have the size for the part (Robbie stands 6'2" and weighs 228 lbs., while Rory is 6'0" and 236 lbs.) they're going for a more authentic look, complete with the hides and wild, bushy hair of their clansmen.

"I believe they know we can work or they wouldn't be asking us back. Although we're wearing kilts, there's still nothing that distinguishes us from anyone backstage," says Rory. "Right now, we're trying to change ourselves aesthetically, trying to go for the wild man look. I am a highlander legitimately, but just because you are something doesn't necessarily mean that you look it. I believe that's something that might make us a little bit better."

Until they sign a coveted WWE contract, the Highlanders will continue to make their mark wherever they compete. They're hoping to wrestle in Japan before the end of the year, fulfilling a long-time career aspiration. "I don't know of anything that would put a bigger smile on my face. I think Japanese wrestling is pretty much where it's at right now," says Rory.

In the meantime, Rory and Robbie plan on staying the course to wrestling superstardom.

"As far as our careers go, that's in the hands of everybody else. That's in the hands of indy fans, indy promoters, Steve Corino in Japan, Luke [Williams] down in Puerto Rico, the WWE," says Rory. "We'll just keep going the way we have for the last five years. If people continue to react to it, then I guess we'll keep moving forward. We're just going to keep doing what we've been doing."

I am their biggest fan already.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 739 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: