Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 01:40:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228535 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Wrestling...thats right, Wrestling!
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 739 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wrestling...thats right, Wrestling!  (Read 835703 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #14000 on: May 11, 2009, 02:06:02 PM »

"We" could all do it because "we" dont have to deal with the quagmire pile of shit that is the politics in the WWE locker room.

But that's Vince's own fault...for letting it run rampant, playing favorites, and letting his subs act like frat boys, at times.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #14001 on: May 11, 2009, 02:24:34 PM »

Stables are a great way to get young guys together with similiar gimmicks and get them over.

I mean Miz, Ziggler, Ryder and Matt Hardy has young arrogant and cocky written all over it, and Hardy in the sort of veteran of the four role could do well with having his own henchmen.

Legacy need an opposition stable to.  I fear it'll happen the WRONG way.  Legacy will get a couple more members (which is a good thing), then D-X will reunite and feud with them 5-on-2.  Oh and D-X wins.  Although if they got Kip and X-Pac back for it...I'd be sold, but thats my goofy Attitude Era love, and...well thats a partial lie, its just my love of all things Billy Gunn and X-Pac, I mean people can slate it and said its stale, they are past it, but you all know you'd mark for it.  And if they did it right and put Legacy OVER.

Point is there are endless combinations that could work well together, you get the feeling creative are told to only think about the top line.  Heck in the Attitude Era we even had a stable of Jobbers talking the piss out of the term.

I don't like Russo but he has always had one good method, give EVERYONE on the card a storyline/gimmick/a purpose.  Back in the late 90s you knew everyone, they all got there time, no matter how small the role.

To reference old WCW (merely because I have an example), the not scripted promos worked because they seemed...more real.  Mistakes and all.  Luger tripped over his words, but that was him, he was big and strong and came across a bit stupid.  Ric Flair didn't care about half his opponents, why should he, he is Ric Flair, and thats why when he cut a promo on Konnan saying "You call yourself the man of 1000 holds.....", the fact it was Dean Malenko's gimmick and he'd got the two confused didn't matter, he knew he was going to win by any means necessary, you bought that.  People saying Flair was past his best in the 90s but his promos in 1995-1996 were SUPERB! Or maybe its the contrast with 2005-2006.

You can't always trust dirtsheets and/or WWE but if the following is true...its a positive....wrestlers can have....ideas again  Shocked

Stephanie McMahon had a meeting with the wrestlers at the last TV taping and told them that this is the time the company is looking to make new stars, that nobody is going to be held back and that WWE want everyone working as hard as they can to reach for the brass ring. Stephanie also encouraged people to come up with ideas for their character and storylines, which is very different from what has gone before because generally the writing team has seen guys who come up with ideas and pitch them, unless they are top guys who are seen as having the stature to do so, as guys who are bothersome.

f4wonline.com

I'm frantically trying to get in contact with Dolph Ziggler so he can pitch himself a stable.... Cool
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14002 on: May 11, 2009, 05:12:08 PM »

People hate Russo - but I'd rather have Katie Vick feuds and be horrified than have Randy Orton taking 15 mins to tell us what happened last week - i DID watch it ya know, it was only 7 days ago Orton!

The endless recaps are just insane - Vince believes people have trouble keeping up with wrestling current events - okay then, one recap per show would be reasonable....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #14003 on: May 11, 2009, 05:25:39 PM »

People hate Russo - but I'd rather have Katie Vick feuds and be horrified than have Randy Orton taking 15 mins to tell us what happened last week - i DID watch it ya know, it was only 7 days ago Orton!

The endless recaps are just insane - Vince believes people have trouble keeping up with wrestling current events - okay then, one recap per show would be reasonable....

No thats not true, Vince knows we remembered, but its like soap opera filler, if they don't recap what happened last time he would only have about 65 minutes of raw instead of two hours.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14004 on: May 11, 2009, 06:40:44 PM »

No thats not true, Vince knows we remembered, but its like soap opera filler, if they don't recap what happened last time he would only have about 65 minutes of raw instead of two hours.

Lol true - keeps costs down....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
nightrain_jh
Rocker

« Reply #14005 on: May 12, 2009, 03:14:38 AM »

Is it me or am I right in being shocked that Jericho is gonna be competing for the IC Title?  Or is this the first step to bringing it back to what it was/should be?

Don't Damn Me!!
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #14006 on: May 12, 2009, 05:35:43 AM »

Why is it batista is on a rage against legacy and seeming to be more upset with them than HHH was? Here's a guy, HHH, who had his wife beaten by Orton, his father in law and brother in law beaten by orton. Yet when he finally gets in a match with Orton at wrestlemania he decides not to beat the living fuck out of him so he can keep his belt. Than at Backlash he chooses to stay in the match whether than chase down the man who beat his wife. But batista will stop a match from the get go and beat orton with a steal chair.

Just makes no fucking sense what so ever. They really fucked that up.  hihi smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #14007 on: May 12, 2009, 05:43:17 AM »

Batista is booked as the modern day Lex Luger....

.....as a bit dumb.  Cheesy
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #14008 on: May 12, 2009, 12:36:56 PM »

On the subject of Batista (and maybe it's been discussed in prior pages and I missed it):

WTF was he doing coming to the ring with Manny Pacquiao at the fight last week?

Together again,
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #14009 on: May 12, 2009, 01:13:05 PM »

On the subject of Batista (and maybe it's been discussed in prior pages and I missed it):

Both are Phillipino, I think. WWE.COM is crediting Batista for Manny's win!

Batista needs to go heel soon. His face run is beyond stale. I would turn Trips and Batista heel and Orton face.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14010 on: May 12, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »

Is it me or am I right in being shocked that Jericho is gonna be competing for the IC Title?  Or is this the first step to bringing it back to what it was/should be?

Happens like clockwork:

1.Disaster title run

2.Revise gimmick

3.Intercontinental title fued

4.Undeserved WWE title win

...and repeat for about 8 years confused

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14011 on: May 12, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »

Both are Phillipino, I think. WWE.COM is crediting Batista for Manny's win!

Batista needs to go heel soon. His face run is beyond stale. I would turn Trips and Batista heel and Orton face.

When Orton returned from injury was the perfect opportunity for the face turn he despertaley needs

...trouble is, Orton is just naturally unlikeable - and i have no idea what you could do to change that

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14012 on: May 12, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »

How will Rhodes and Dibiase ever be taken seriously if its always 2 on 1 matches - what does that say for them individually?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #14013 on: May 12, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »

Why is it batista is on a rage against legacy and seeming to be more upset with them than HHH was? Here's a guy, HHH, who had his wife beaten by Orton, his father in law and brother in law beaten by orton. Yet when he finally gets in a match with Orton at wrestlemania he decides not to beat the living fuck out of him so he can keep his belt. Than at Backlash he chooses to stay in the match whether than chase down the man who beat his wife. But batista will stop a match from the get go and beat orton with a steal chair.

Just makes no fucking sense what so ever. They really fucked that up.  hihi smoking
Trips being in a face and in title matches doesn't make sense.  He's pure heel, and I doubt many fans like him becuase they can tell he gets the belt for being McMahon Jnr.  It might make some sense to turn him super-heel again and get the fans cheering for the opponent.  But another McMahon-Helmsley stable would be just as pointless as another outing of DX.  Time for something new WWE!

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #14014 on: May 12, 2009, 05:16:51 PM »

How will Rhodes and Dibiase ever be taken seriously if its always 2 on 1 matches - what does that say for them individually?
I'd take them seriously if they were good.  But Rhodes especially looks like a fucking wimp.  One puff of wind would knock him down.  WWE seem to not know how to make anything convincing these days.  They might get over as 'plcuky faces' fighting against the odds but heels?  It's difficult to hate them.  They're more of an irritation.

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14015 on: May 12, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »

Trips being in a face and in title matches doesn't make sense.  He's pure heel, and I doubt many fans like him becuase they can tell he gets the belt for being McMahon Jnr.  It might make some sense to turn him super-heel again and get the fans cheering for the opponent.  But another McMahon-Helmsley stable would be just as pointless as another outing of DX.  Time for something new WWE!

While I agree with most of that...

...the Triple H bashing is unfair

He's the best they have on the mic (and in the ring), (when he's intrested) he's the most intresting thing going and he's largely carried WWE for the last 7 years. He's surely at no.3 in the list of the best ''sports entertainers'' over the last decade (Austin and Rock before, Undertaker and Mankind just behind)

He got his chance because of who he was sleeping with - but he's done the rest himself

Lets face it - love or hate him, he's just about the only credible champion, the only one the belt sits on comfortably

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14016 on: May 12, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »

I'd take them seriously if they were good.  But Rhodes especially looks like a fucking wimp.  One puff of wind would knock him down.  WWE seem to not know how to make anything convincing these days.  They might get over as 'plcuky faces' fighting against the odds but heels?  It's difficult to hate them.  They're more of an irritation.

They have succeeded in making Batista look very good of late (thumbs up there - the guy cant wrestle, but he's a credible champion and WWE needs that fast)

...but the cost has been making ''Legacy'' look awful. It takes two of them just to give Batista a challenge (which he fairly easily deals with anyway?)

If they are going to make Batista a kind of Goldberg unstoppable force - then fair do's...

...personally, i just dont think they realise the impact they are having. Dibiase looks confused as to his role and Rhodes just doesnt....look....right

Quick! To the bandwagon!
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #14017 on: May 13, 2009, 07:42:10 AM »

While I agree with most of that...

...the Triple H bashing is unfair

He's the best they have on the mic (and in the ring), (when he's intrested) he's the most intresting thing going and he's largely carried WWE for the last 7 years. He's surely at no.3 in the list of the best ''sports entertainers'' over the last decade (Austin and Rock before, Undertaker and Mankind just behind)

He got his chance because of who he was sleeping with - but he's done the rest himself

Lets face it - love or hate him, he's just about the only credible champion, the only one the belt sits on comfortably
I agree that HHH has been one of the best over the last few years.  Let's face it, I still dislike him for what he did to the Rock and ending Cactus Jack's career ten years ago so that must say something for his performances!  I need to learn to let it go... but I can't!

But seriously, he's been getting the belt back for too long and they really need someone to just come in and be great.  Lesnar was great while he lasted, Goldberg evaporated, Angle's gone, Taker doesn't do title runs.  Are Edge, Batista and Cenile really fit to lead the company?  I like Edge's work ethic and imagination, but he's the sort of wrestler who should be competing for the IC belt.  Batista's not good enough to front the company and while Cena has improved slightly and has real assets he polarises the fans too much because he can't wrestle.  Big show and Kane are better but they haven't had the success earlier in their careers to justify champion status now.  WWE needs to get better at building new wrestlers up as the Takers and HHH's of this world aren't gonna last forever, as much as WWE want them to.

Going back to something I touched on earlier, I'd like to see some of the competitiveness return to wrestling.  At least when they pretended it was real it was a bit easier to get the belts over and get people to care who wins a match.  Now all the feuds revolve around stories and gimmicks, like the Orton/HHH feud.  Nobody cared and it led to a flat main event at Wrestlemania.  Surely McMahon realised the folly of that?  The feuds would be better if they didn't revolve around marriages and stuff so often, while the majority of matches should be about winning and being 'good' at wrestling.  Bret Hart, Benoit etc worked this style brilliantly and the fans loved them.  Even Ric Flair, for all his showboating, was largely about having the gold and not running around with hammers or stealing peoples' wives.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #14018 on: May 13, 2009, 08:57:38 AM »

My suggestion:

Have Trips lead a new incarnation of the NWO...or, rather, something like it, as a heel forming a stable to "take over" the WWE, lock, stock and barrell. With the McMahon's actually acting as the foil/faces, protecting their company from his "hostile takeover".

It could be very interesting if played out right....they'd just have to be creative with it (I know, asking a lot from WWE creative), and they'd have to actually incorporate an acknowledgement of some of WWE's current troubles, creatively, too.  I'm not sure Vince could let his ego do that, or that they're that self-aware.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:59:44 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #14019 on: May 13, 2009, 10:39:41 AM »

I like Edge's work ethic and imagination, but he's the sort of wrestler who should be competing for the IC belt.

This statement stuck out to me. And I believe you couldn't be more wrong. Edge is the best heel in the industry today. Better than anything the WWE or TNA have at the moment. Everything he does he does it well. Everything. Rather its cutting promos or putting on matches. He gets great heat from the crowd and knows exactly how to do it. He has some of the greatest in-ring charisma and his character is a perfect example of a great heel. Because you want to boo this guy. You want to hate this guy. But you have to see what he's going to do next.

I love Edge. Everything about what he has done in the last few years is great. And he is definetly worthy of his spot on the roster. My only complaint is this guy is on smackdown so i don't get to see enough of him. That and sometimes the WWE make him look a little too weak.

My hope is The Rated R Superstar will be a top heel for a long while. Because I cannot get enough of this guy. As they say, he puts my ass in the seat.  smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 739 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: