Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 12:31:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Wrestling...thats right, Wrestling!
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 739 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wrestling...thats right, Wrestling!  (Read 830671 times)
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #13520 on: March 14, 2009, 12:32:44 PM »

Wow, that came out of nowhere. RIP Andrew Martin.

Regarding this week's SD, who decided that Finlay should be in MITB over The Brian Kendrick??

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #13521 on: March 14, 2009, 02:26:04 PM »

Damn thats a gutter  Sad I was a big fan of him in the early days and thought he had some good matches towards the end of his ECW run.

R.I.P

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
Evolution
« Reply #13522 on: March 14, 2009, 02:56:13 PM »

R.I.P Andrew "Test" Martin.

A shock to read about, another wrestler I grew up watching gone.  Undecided
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #13523 on: March 14, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »

A shock to read about, another wrestler I grew up watching gone.  Undecided
Yeah, seems amazing how many wrestlers have gone from merely 10-15 years ago, when I watch re-runs from mid to late 90s, the list is astounding.  Just getting into WCW early '96, the latest incarnation of the 4 Horsemen is great, the "Veterans" are Flair and Anderson, the young guns....Pillman and Benoit, crazy to think the 2 youngest went first.

Back to Test his career for me was up and down, some of his stuff I loved, some not so much.

High points for me where his stellar Summerslam fight with Shane Mcmahon, his days in T & A with sexy heel Trish Stratus, good times  Cool

I also enjoyed his stint in the Invasion he was quite well pushed around that period and his Immunity Battle Royal victory was good (I love me Battle Royals), last eliminating the always great Billy Gunn (Cheap Pop!)

I don't think there was much I enjoyed post hair cut though, from the Steiner stuff to his time on ECW, but he definately had plenty of memorable moments for me in his career and its such a shame for this to happen at any point, but when he was seemingly so happy, had his retirement planned and intended to go to college, damn shame, its the nature of the business though, so many big guys get juiced to make it and unfortunately pay the price.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13524 on: March 14, 2009, 06:25:48 PM »

Regarding this week's SD, who decided that Finlay should be in MITB over The Brian Kendrick??

Indeed

Baffling

Why does Finlay have a job? He's a one trick pony thats run his course

Kendrick could be a phenomenon if he'd be allowed to do his flips and spins - have Ezequial help him to the US title, then have Eqequial turn on him, tired of carrying Kendrick, have him take the US title and then - a few months down the line - have him take the WWE title

He's got the sheer power and monsterous expresion to be a credible champ, and when he has spoken he's got that Samuel L Jackson 'dont fuck with me' vibe

Personally I'd buddy him up with Triple H in a heel faction, playing the Batista role.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #13525 on: March 14, 2009, 06:47:16 PM »

Indeed

Baffling

Why does Finlay have a job? He's a one trick pony thats run his course

Kendrick could be a phenomenon if he'd be allowed to do his flips and spins

To be honest I reckon him being in the doghouse due to his pot habbit is the reason he lost and his push is gone. Doesn't really matter how talented he is, him constantly failing drug tests shouldn't really be excused. Just makes an example out of him from WWE's standpoint.

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
AtariLegend
Not User Friendly
VIP

« Reply #13526 on: March 14, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »

J.R. Remembers Andrew "Test" Martin Who Was Found Dead Friday Evening.

Late last night I received word that Andrew Martin aka Test had been found dead in his apartment/condo in the Tampa, Florida area. Andrew would have been 34 years of age this Tuesday.

I hired Andrew in the same class with his other fellow Canadians Edge and Christian in the late 90's in an outstanding group of young talent whose advanced training was over seen by future WWE Hall of Famer Dory Funk and by Tom Prichard.

Andrew left WWE over two years ago and had wrestled off and on, briefly in TNA, and also on the independent circuit primarily on international tours. I spoke at length with Andrew, as did my wife, last year in Orlando at Wrestlemania 24 and he seemed very happy and looked to be healthy and in great physical condition.  He spoke of his real estate endeavors and the fact that he was strongly considering going back to school and becoming accredited as a physical therapist. Andrew had done well in WWE, saved his money, made some good investments, and told me he only wanted to wrestle when "he wanted to" which the randomly scheduled international tours would allow him to do. He did not express interest in the American indy scene and was genuinely excited about the prospects of the aforementioned physical therapy career.

Andrew had always told me that he never wanted to wrestle past the age of 35 which was why he "listened to the lectures" as he told me with a smile that sunny day in Orlando in WWE's headquarter hotel. I honestly had never seen him happier.

Late last summer, reacting on the suggestion of others, WWE reached out to Andrew to ask if he needed some help handling some alleged personal issues that he was rumored to have been experiencing. Andrew had been gone from WWE for over two years but had remained friends with many still associated with WWE. The rumors of Andrew's issues were true and he was afforded the opportunity by WWE to attend The Hanley Center Rehabilitation facility in West Palm Beach, Florida for several weeks beginning in August of 2008. Andrew successfully completed the WWE funded program and was highly regarded by the Hanley Center with being such an asset to them after completing the program of which Andrew took seriously, according to the facility. Since being released from the facility after successfully completing the program, Andrew had been doing well in his 12 Step AA program and was in contact with WWE with regular phone calls. Ironically, Friday was the day for his regularly scheduled "touching base" but when called his voice mail box was full.

I was not aware that Andrew was having problems and did not know of is rehab stint until  recently. Test, a name provided Martin after he portrayed a security person who tested the band Motley Crue's mic with the obligatory, 'test...test...test," always seemed to be a bright young man who knew what he wanted in life and was seemingly looking forward to his future and getting an education in physical therapy.

It is comforting to know that Andrew was receiving support from WWE and it was also encouraging to know that he was seemingly on the road to recovery in the past several months. The exact cause of Andrew's death won't be determined for a few days after the results of an autopsy have been released.

I will remember this young man as a bright, intelligent individual and am thankful that my last conversation with him was so positive and that he was excited about his future in a new field. Our sincere condolences go out to his family, friends, and fans and may God rest his soul.

Source: http://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/jr-remembers-andrew-test-martin-who-was-found-dead-friday-evening

Test passes away

World Wrestling Entertainment? has been made aware of the passing of Andrew Martin.  The WWE extends its deepest condolences to the Martin family.  Mr. Martin was under contract with WWE at various time periods and performed under the name "Test."  He last performed for the WWE in February 2007.

Source: http://www.wwe.com/inside/industrynews/9571148

TNA REMEMBERS ANDREW "TEST" MARTIN

Everyone at Total Nonstop Action Wrestling is saddened by the passing of Andrew "Test" Martin.

TNA sends its deepest condolences to the Martin family, and we hope our fans will keep Andrew in their thoughts in the coming days.

"You were my world my best friend
the one i always ran to u were always there for me..what happened to our plan...Why did god take u away from me...my heart is always with u and u only..I know your in heaven watching over me now my angel..."

- Kelly Kelly
Evolution
« Reply #13527 on: March 14, 2009, 10:36:54 PM »

HTGTH wishes to commemerate the ten year anniversary of the first ever WWF Hardcore Championship reign of "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn.

15.3.99 - 15.3.09
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #13528 on: March 14, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »

Legend!  Watching TNA tonight I thought  no he is really being wasted, as good as he is in his role, bring him back to Titan Towers and give him one last run.

AtariLegend
Not User Friendly
VIP

« Reply #13529 on: March 14, 2009, 11:42:37 PM »

Wasn't he the only "King Of The Ring" winner ever, not to get a title run eventually or even a world title feud?

Axl4Life
VIP

It's an Irish thing...the Guinness that is...

« Reply #13530 on: March 15, 2009, 08:13:58 AM »

Legend!  Watching TNA tonight I thought  no he is really being wasted, as good as he is in his role, bring him back to Titan Towers and give him one last run.

Don't get me wrong, I always liked the guy, but why are you so high on him anyways? You'd think I would have asked you this question before now eh?  hihi

"For an organisation which is crying out for new headliners (and the experienced, talented and over Matt Hardy is as qualified as anyone else in the mid card zone for a promotion)" - Fin Martin
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #13531 on: March 15, 2009, 08:21:38 AM »

Wasn't he the only "King Of The Ring" winner ever, not to get a title run eventually or even a world title feud?

There was also Ken Shamrock, the World's Most Dangerous Mid-carder.

Even Mabel got a title match. Shocked

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #13532 on: March 15, 2009, 08:36:13 AM »

There was also Ken Shamrock, the World's Most Dangerous Mid-carder.

Even Mabel got a title match. Shocked
Well Kenny got a title match, just, well...before he won King of the Ring  Cheesy

As for why am I so high on Billy Gunn, I've just always find his gimmicks entertaining and think he is very underated, I've lost count of the amount of wrestling publications that claim he can't wrestle, no big guy wrestlers rip off the Stinger Splash and Ric Flair Flop Drop any better.  Theres been many classic moments heck I saw potential in Rockabilly, I think EVERYONE enjoyed The New Age Outlaws.  I also remember most of his singles pushes and I guess I thought they went better than most did, from coming out to help Austin against Kane and Taker when nobody else would to winning King of the Ring with a flying fameasser.  He's also had some classic themes, "The One" and "Mr Ass" and the "Outlaws" one.  I'm sure theres a classic .gif in this thread that I always search for when Im defending him.....

Magic!

Evolution
« Reply #13533 on: March 15, 2009, 03:25:23 PM »

Being a brand new fan at the time, I took the D-Generation-X break-up to heart. I remember the Road Dogg vs Billy Gunn Dog Collar match on Raw is War being a really important blood feud!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13534 on: March 15, 2009, 03:32:44 PM »

Impact this week was a return to form after several confused installements

...they even hinted at their own problems having largely buried their own roster

They desperately need to get the X Division up and running again - having all their stars on the same team was pretty short sighted (and whatever happened to the Frontline?)

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Evolution
« Reply #13535 on: March 15, 2009, 03:35:57 PM »

HTGTH also wishes to commemerate the ten year anniversary of the first ever WWF Intercontinental Championship reign of Road Dogg Jesse James.

15.3.99 - 15.3.09
[/quote]
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13536 on: March 15, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »

Billy Gunn fell victim to the PG WWE direction that started slightly heading when that Parents' group got on their ass.

As Bad Ass Billy Gunn, he was a top level guy

Whoever thought of "The One" Billy Gunn which  is a HORRIBLE slant rhyme and really doesn't rhyme or go together and just sounds ridiculous, should be fired on the spot.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #13537 on: March 15, 2009, 04:57:18 PM »

Billy Gunn fell victim to the PG WWE direction that started slightly heading when that Parents' group got on their ass.

As Bad Ass Billy Gunn, he was a top level guy

Whoever thought of "The One" Billy Gunn which  is a HORRIBLE slant rhyme and really doesn't rhyme or go together and just sounds ridiculous, should be fired on the spot.

I remember reading at the time people felt he couldn't be taken seriously as a Main Eventer under the guise of Mr. Ass and that's why the changed it, although considering it was that moniker that got him over in the first place....

....its similiar to the notion banded about in recent years that guys with long hair need hair cuts to rise to the Main Event because long hair is so 1980s and its hard to be taken seriously with long hair.  Obviously Triple H and Shawn Michaels have "Protection" from this.
Evolution
« Reply #13538 on: March 15, 2009, 05:14:10 PM »

I think he suffered from the fact he was heel in the New Age Outlaws feud. He was pretty over in the first half of 1999 and fans didn't take to his heel persona nearly as well. The fact his wrestling wasn't on a five-star level was forgotten about due to his popularity. The "John Cena" theory.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #13539 on: March 16, 2009, 01:52:41 PM »

Conspicuous by his absence at last night's Destination X pay-per-view was Kip James as he was not in the corner of The Beautiful People. According to a TNA source, there is some concern that the company will not be renewing his contract as he's said to be on the bubble. His biggest supporter in the company is longtime friend BG James, who works as an agent backstage.

Sack him! If it gets him a return to the Titan lands  Cool Otherwise keep him  yes Although logically considering his limited role in the company, if they let Petey Williams, Sonjay Dutt, Lance Hoyt and Jimmy Rave go...  nervous Especially considering unless he received a major pay cut from his initial wage with TNA, his pay packet was probably bigger than theirs.
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 739 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: