Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:33:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Wrestling...thats right, Wrestling!
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 739 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wrestling...thats right, Wrestling!  (Read 827570 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13060 on: January 06, 2009, 06:39:36 PM »

the NWO 3rd member storyline was awesome. Bobby Heenan kind of fucked it up at bash at the beach though but still, very cliffhanger stuff from week to week.

Honestly, i think wrestling started sucking the minute i began reading the internet. takes too much of the fun and illusion out of it.

some things, like wrestling and your favorite band members, are left best unknown.

I always said I never wanted to meet my heroes just in case they are really assholes and it would ruin the illusion

same with wrestling. the more u know, the more it sucks, like the whoever goes in on his back shit and stuff like that.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13061 on: January 06, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »

the NWO 3rd member storyline was awesome. Bobby Heenan kind of fucked it up at bash at the beach though but still, very cliffhanger stuff from week to week.

Honestly, i think wrestling started sucking the minute i began reading the internet. takes too much of the fun and illusion out of it.

some things, like wrestling and your favorite band members, are left best unknown.

I always said I never wanted to meet my heroes just in case they are really assholes and it would ruin the illusion

same with wrestling. the more u know, the more it sucks, like the whoever goes in on his back shit and stuff like that.

so true

I used to be the biggest GNR fan you'll ever meet - hell, thats why i turned up here and spent hrs on the forums everyday while at uni

Then! Tour dates in the UK, a dream come true no less - i got tickets to two different shows (what luck!)

...and the gigs were awful

Just awful

Despite what these lunatics on the main page say - i found nu GNR dreadful live

I waited 4 hrs and 3 hrs respectively each gig for the most stop/start gig imaginable

-WTTJ
-tedious 15 min guitar solo (read: static)
-Sweet Child O'mine
-15 min piano solo from #expendable bandmate.15
-Instrumental of a Christina Aguilera song?!?

I was crushed and didnt listen to GNR again for nearly 2 years

I've started listening again of late, and i did enjoy Chinese Democracy - but the damage is done, my favourite band - ruined

My slightly convulted point is this - D, your right on the money

Sometimes its better to just not know

Quick! To the bandwagon!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13062 on: January 06, 2009, 07:06:20 PM »

Agree Izzy

Its weird, I don't post on any other band message forum and I adore and love those bands whereas I find myself being very critical of GNR.

it is definitely the message forums. The haters, the apologist, just all combined can ruin the experience/illusion.

It is like if you knew how David Blaine did all his magic stuff. It would suck.

Evolution
« Reply #13063 on: January 06, 2009, 07:22:24 PM »

Raven once stated in a shoot video that one of his favourite booking techniques was making fans believe they were getting something, when in fact they weren't. His example was from an old regional show he was watching in the 1980's. The promotion set up a TV main event via an in-ring interview, and during the face's entrance later on, several heels did a beat down on him with a quick blading job. Then, once the bell rang, the heel champion obviously had the upperhand, followed by a comeback which was cut off fairly sharpish. Then just as the TV time for the show is almost done, the heel climbs up to the turnbuckle and once he leaps off, the screen goes to black.

Thing is, these schmozz finishes on TV make people pay for the PPV.

See, I would label what YOU described a cliffhanger.  There's no finish, BUT there's at least some suspense.

What WCW did wasn't usually "cliff hanger" in nature.  It was a very CLEAR outcome....just not a very satisfying one as a fan.  No "real" finish at all (either a DQ or worse, no announced decision at all) AND no suspense. 

It's the Monday Night Wars to blame for the expectancy wrestling fans have for main events every week. WWE are in between a rock and a hard place when it comes to TV main events and matches with clean finishes. I suppose one remedy would be to include midcard talents on TV main events with the top line guys, so that way you could have more clean, satisfying finishes, elevate some talent perhaps and have more matches saved for the PPVs.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #13064 on: January 06, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »

Raven once stated in a shoot video that one of his favourite booking techniques was making fans believe they were getting something, when in fact they weren't. His example was from an old regional show he was watching in the 1980's. The promotion set up a TV main event via an in-ring interview, and during the face's entrance later on, several heels did a beat down on him with a quick blading job. Then, once the bell rang, the heel champion obviously had the upperhand, followed by a comeback which was cut off fairly sharpish. Then just as the TV time for the show is almost done, the heel climbs up to the turnbuckle and once he leaps off, the screen goes to black.

Thing is, these schmozz finishes on TV make people pay for the PPV.

See, I would label what YOU described a cliffhanger.  There's no finish, BUT there's at least some suspense.

What WCW did wasn't usually "cliff hanger" in nature.  It was a very CLEAR outcome....just not a very satisfying one as a fan.  No "real" finish at all (either a DQ or worse, no announced decision at all) AND no suspense. 

It's the Monday Night Wars to blame for the expectancy wrestling fans have for main events every week. WWE are in between a rock and a hard place when it comes to TV main events and matches with clean finishes. I suppose one remedy would be to include midcard talents on TV main events with the top line guys, so that way you could have more clean, satisfying finishes, elevate some talent perhaps and have more matches saved for the PPVs.

I agree the internet and spoilers can ruin it for a wrestling fan I think think if WWE changed things up and told better stories ti would still be great.

I think WWE would be great to not have the main eventers wrestle every Raw. This is a typical WWE scenario.

End of year PPV right, Lets say Cena wins/retains World Gold.
and a Face list Bastita wins the #1 Contender,

Next night on Raw they will be "forced" to work together in a Tag match, in which one costs the other the match.
Next Raw they will both have matches against singles guys where they are ring side commentators for the match,
Third raw there is the eventual Contract Signing.
Then the Next PPV where they meet.

I have noticed this a few times recently dating back to Cena Vs HBK when they were tag champs together.

Lets say Cena is champ and Jericho / JBL win #1 Conteders Match at PPV.

Next night on raw will be main event Cena (insert  a Rey , Bastita, or another Huge Baby Face)
Against the #1 Heel Contender (insert a crownie / friend of the heel) Match ends with Face team winning.

NEXT RAW Still wanting to get their hands on each other they will Have it booked so Cena has to fight top other heel who will wear out cena and the heel thinks he has it made resting for the PPV, when some GM/ Mcmahon announces the #1 Heel Contender has to fight the biggest baby face (besides the champ) in one on one action. Heel fights first and wins to promote PPV upcoming match, Then in main event #1 Contender Heel comes down to interfer/distract the champion.

3rd Raw, Main Event is Cena plus 2 other Baby Faces (Rey and Bastita) against the top 3 Heels (JBL, RKO, Jericho) in which you know at some point 2 of the 3 bad guys (the 2 who are not #1 contenders) will be lieing just perfect on the rope for Rey to 619, then they get up shocked one gets an FU other gets a Bastita Bomb.

Then they meet at PPV. FIrst off you are wearing out the main event talent and its probalby the reason people like Cena, and Bastita, get hurt because they are making them wrestle non stop. Not too mention its unoriginal. Back in the WWWF day Vince SR rarely used Andre the Giant because he wanted people to be shocked at his sized when he didnt wrestle (and for health reasons some say) That way when you did see him in the ring it was shocking instead of being used to his size. With all the talent on Raw they could book a complete show without RKO, JBL, JERICHO, Rey, and Cena. How often do you see the tag matches on TV, or the IC belt defended.

I still enjoy rasslin' at times, but as a kid I loved it and watched it 24/7 I remember seeing OLD ECW in an old auditorium in which the wrestlers pushed you out of the way and would say the nastiest things to you., I remember some of the nastiest fueds between wrestlers where they never seen each other for weeks or months leading up to TV.  How about Macho Man's wedding where Jake Roberts wrapped up a cobra that bit macho man. He was retired, and had to come out of retirement to get back in the ring to get his revenge. I know rasslin' can be predictable but it seems every PPV has a formula to it.

WWE title match
World Title Match
ECW Title Match
Diva / Womens Title Match.
#1 Contender for World Match (or top baby face vs top heel)
""         ""            ""   WWE Match.
Then maybe one opening midcard match.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13065 on: January 06, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »

I still think it boils down to one huge factor

Brand split

u just don't have enough  big time talent to put on interesting feuds

combine the best of SD with the best of Raw on one tv show and it would still be gold.

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #13066 on: January 07, 2009, 01:55:02 PM »

Brand split

I think its quite simply the fact they dont invest in the feuds anymore. No Stables, No Mystery Attackers, No Masterminds and No Tag Teams sensationally splitting up.

Also it doesn't help they ban alot of moves and make guys change their finishers. STUPID.

They need a few young (and by that i mean under 30) in the top tier of WWE.

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #13067 on: January 07, 2009, 03:16:44 PM »

I think it's more to do with the brand split than lack of imagination or quality writing.

When you have the exact same cast of characters week after week, match ideas are bound to dry up and the end result is something bland and predictable.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #13068 on: January 07, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »

I think it's more to do with the brand split than lack of imagination or quality writing.

When you have the exact same cast of characters week after week, match ideas are bound to dry up and the end result is something bland and predictable.

All the best spells in wrestling have had quality story telling feuds.

Where would Undertaker be without his legendary feuds and charecter. Austin vs McMahon, Hogan vs Andre, Undertaker vs Kane, NWO vs WCW etc etc.

It depends on what way you look at it. Some might say its more about the storyline you're in than how good you are or how you look. If you follow that line then anyone can be a WWE legend so does it matter how many you have.

I agree that the brand split is rubbish and as fans we would be in for a better show without it but i'm not sure you'd have ever seen Matt Hardy or Jeff Hardy as a World Champion in a single brand. The brand split does allow guys like Evan Bourne & Swagger to have a chance. so there is some up side to it.

[/color]

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #13069 on: January 07, 2009, 04:46:08 PM »

The brand split does allow guys like Evan Bourne & Swagger to have a chance. so there is some up side to it.

Yeah, if the brand split ended, you'd have HHH, HBK, Orton, Cena, Undertaker, Edge, both Hardys, Jericho, JBL, Big Show, Kane, Punk, Mysterio etc. all on the same show(s). And that's not even all of the main event/upper midcard guys in WWE right now....

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13070 on: January 07, 2009, 05:18:07 PM »

they could spread feuds out over SD and Raw though so those guys could still get air time BUT make those guys truly earn their time.

If u are good enough u will be on TV which makes everybody work harder to maintain their spot.

with the rosters as depleted, their is no reason to go the extra mile cause your spot is pretty much what it is.

Also, they have to do two seperate shows therefore the stories get thin cause they have to think of two and now with ECW three different shows worth of story whereas with one, u could have 2 big stories lead the way and then the mid card stuff sprinkled in.

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13071 on: January 07, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »

End the brand split, scrap Smackdown and have 2 3hr shows of RAW each week

Promote a sold mid card and your off

WWE has the parts, just not the instructions it seems

Quick! To the bandwagon!
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #13072 on: January 07, 2009, 08:44:13 PM »

Guys, please vote for my show again! Thanks. Listen sometime and let me know what you think. http://www.mondaynightmayhem.com

You don't have to register to vote! Thanks. Here are the things we are nominated for:

http://wrestlingradioawards.com/ballot.html

1) 2008 Show Of The Year

2) 2008 People's Choice Award

3) 2008 Male Interview Of The Year
Hulk Hogan on Monday Night Mayhem
Governor Jesse Ventura on Monday Night Mayhem

4) 2008 Female Interview Of The Year
Erin Murphy on MNM
Brooke Hogan on MNM
Jackie Haas on MNM
Velvet Sky on MNM

5)Media Interview Of THe Year
Eric Bischoff on MNM
Jason Hervey (Wayne from the Wonder Years) on MNM
Dennis Rodman on MNM

6) 2008 Host Of The Year
Blade on MNM

7)Wrestler of the Year
I voted for Jeff Hardy

8)Babe of the Year
I voted for Maryse.

Thanks Guys, You can vote once a day. If we win, I'll thank you guys.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13073 on: January 07, 2009, 09:39:51 PM »

Guys, please vote for my show again! Thanks. Listen sometime and let me know what you think. http://www.mondaynightmayhem.com

You don't have to register to vote! Thanks. Here are the things we are nominated for:

http://wrestlingradioawards.com/ballot.html

1) 2008 Show Of The Year

2) 2008 People's Choice Award

3) 2008 Male Interview Of The Year
Hulk Hogan on Monday Night Mayhem
Governor Jesse Ventura on Monday Night Mayhem

4) 2008 Female Interview Of The Year
Erin Murphy on MNM
Brooke Hogan on MNM
Jackie Haas on MNM
Velvet Sky on MNM

5)Media Interview Of THe Year
Eric Bischoff on MNM
Jason Hervey (Wayne from the Wonder Years) on MNM
Dennis Rodman on MNM

6) 2008 Host Of The Year
Blade on MNM

7)Wrestler of the Year
I voted for Jeff Hardy

8)Babe of the Year
I voted for Maryse.

Thanks Guys, You can vote once a day. If we win, I'll thank you guys.

voted all that except for a couple different ones

I vote Dennis Rodman on Media

Chris Jericho for wrestler of the year

Melina is the hottest Diva IMO

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #13074 on: January 09, 2009, 12:29:42 PM »

Is anyone else really looking forward to Shelley vs Sabin this Sunday. That could be RVD/Jerry Lynn type classic

[/color]

Axl4Life
VIP

It's an Irish thing...the Guinness that is...

« Reply #13075 on: January 09, 2009, 12:55:57 PM »

Is anyone else really looking forward to Shelley vs Sabin this Sunday. That could be RVD/Jerry Lynn type classic
Maybe so but nothing could top the RVD/Lynn bout from Living Dangerously 1999 in my opinion.  drool

"For an organisation which is crying out for new headliners (and the experienced, talented and over Matt Hardy is as qualified as anyone else in the mid card zone for a promotion)" - Fin Martin
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #13076 on: January 09, 2009, 01:33:53 PM »

Maybe so but nothing could top the RVD/Lynn bout from Living Dangerously 1999 in my opinion.  drool

Yeah thats what i'm saying. Nothing can beat it.... but those two could put on a classic.

[/color]

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #13077 on: January 09, 2009, 02:21:22 PM »

Speaking of which, brand new, for a bargain ?4.99 off play.com I got the Rob Van Dam DVD, arrived in the post today  Cheesy:

There's nobody in sports entertainment like Rob Van Dam. Period. Opponents and fans alike expect the unexpected when the self-proclaimed "Whole F'n Show" strikes with his high-flying, martial arts-based style.Follow his amazing career on this 2-disc, 6-hour journey from WCW, to ECW, and finally, WWE, with 16 complete matches, hosted and introduced by RVD himself. Plus...over an hour of bonus features, interviews, promos and more. RVD truly is ONE OF A KIND.

vs. Pat Rose
(WCW Saturday Night 23/01/93)

vs. Scotty Flamingo
(WCW Worldwide 08/02/93)

vs. Axl Rotten
(ECW Hardcore TV 05/01/96)

vs. Sabu
(ECW Hostile City Showdown 20/04/96)

vs. Sabu
(ECW Hardcore Heaven 22/06/96)

Sabu & RVD vs. The Eliminators
(ECW Crossing The Line 01/02/97)

vs. Lance Storm
(ECW Barely Legal 13/04/97)

vs. Jeff Hardy
(Raw 12/05/97)

vs. Tommy Dreamer
(ECW November 2 Remember 30/11/97)

vs. Bam Bam Bigelow
(ECW Hardcore TV 04/04/98)

vs. Jerry Lynn
(ECW Living Dangerously 21/03/99)

vs. Balls Mahoney
(ECW Anarchy Rulz 16/09/99)

vs. Jerry Lynn
(ECW Guilty as Charged 07/01/01)

vs. Jeff Hardy
(WWE Invasion 22/07/01)

vs. Chris Jericho
(WWE King of the Ring 23/06/02)

vs. Christian
(Raw 29/09/03)

Always enjoyed this guy in TNA though I don't know how he'll fit into WWE, fingers crossed it isn't as Jimmy Wang Yang's estranged bro.  Cowboy Ki!

The following is posted at www.low-ki.com

WORLD WRESTLING ENTERTAINMENT!
Associated Press: It is with great excitement that we announce "The World Warrior" LOW-KI has joined World Wrestling Entertainment! Speculation had been in circulation after he participated in a non televised match November 4, 2008. Nothing was confirmed or reported, since it was assumed that he was still contractually obligated to compete in New Japan Pro Wrestling and was the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion. After NJPW's "Wrestle Kingdom" events, contract negotiations begin for the new year. Terms apparently were not agreed upon and in his debut match, LOW-KI was victorious, putting away Florida Championship Wrestling's Trent Berretta with the "Warrior's Way". Words cannot describe the excitement we feel here and we would like to congratulate "The World Warrior" on his incredible success!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:30:37 PM by Hammy » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #13078 on: January 09, 2009, 03:21:59 PM »

Brand split

u just don't have enough  big time talent to put on interesting feuds

combine the best of SD with the best of Raw on one tv show and it would still be gold.

exactly...they need to combine the brands, get rid of Friday Night Smackdown and turn ECW into some type of live Smackdown show, either on Tuesday nights or Thursday nights...Think of all the cool cliffhangers they could have on Raw that would get resolved on a live show the following night...Grant it ECW is rarely live anymore, but it should be....I still maintain that the real reason for WWE struggling is that there are way TOO MANY pay-per views...And some of the Pay-per views that USED to be a big deal are just like any other pay-er view now, like Survivor Series and Summerslam..Why the fuck is Survivor Series full of single matches?  It is stupid...at least recently they have thrown in some traditional Survivor Series matches...And for the love of god stop putting guys who are going to fight in the main event at an upcoming pay per view in  a mixed tag match the monday before....I know I have said this before, but it is retarded..BUILD up some suspense...Back in the day guys in main events wouldnt even get their hands on each other till the pay per view,,,the build up was great...And what is even dumber is how the guy who is going to lose the main event will most likely win the tag match, stupid..
Evolution
« Reply #13079 on: January 09, 2009, 06:31:09 PM »

Quote from: WWE.com
World Wrestling Entertainment has come to terms on the release of Raw Superstars D-Lo Brown and Val Venis, and ECW Superstar Bam Neely as of Jan. 9, 2009. WWE wishes them the best in all future endeavors.

Today is a very sad day for this Attitude era fan...

Cry
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 739 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: