Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 10:17:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Wrestling...thats right, Wrestling!
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 739 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wrestling...thats right, Wrestling!  (Read 827154 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13020 on: December 24, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »

im with you on that , with the exception of CM Punk and Orton.....and Kelly Kelly. hihi

Ah Kelly....

The whole Kelly/Kane thing and the mysterious ever present ''camera'' is a serious threat to my tv - any moment I feel I will throw something at it...

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13021 on: December 28, 2008, 05:45:03 AM »

Mick Foley back in the ring

Guy looks like he could drop dead any time, the slouch has been ever present but I do wonder i he's so banged up he's largely incapable of wrestling...

Quick! To the bandwagon!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13022 on: December 28, 2008, 06:11:17 AM »

TNA are really hitting on all cylinders for the most part right now

u got the awesome MEM angle with the front Line

u got the X Division tournament

and now, the Kurt Angle/Jeff Jarrett feud is GOLD. Wow, I can't believe Kurt crossed the line like that on that shoot promo talking about Jarrett's kids being orphans.

This is awesome and one of those times u wonder if it is actually scripted shit.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #13023 on: December 28, 2008, 12:17:15 PM »

and now, the Kurt Angle/Jeff Jarrett feud is GOLD. Wow, I can't believe Kurt crossed the line like that on that shoot promo talking about Jarrett's kids being orphans.

This is awesome and one of those times u wonder if it is actually scripted shit.

You f'ning kidding Me, I turned in and was treated to Mick Foley, in sweats clearing the ring of Booker T, Kurt Angle , and Nash.  COME ON HOW BELIEVABLE IS THAT? This guy is old and hasnt wrestled fulltime in years and wears sweats, yet MEM stands there stairing at him trolling (he wasnt running their entrance is too short and it took too long for him to get there to be considered running) towards the ring, Clearing out Booker T who is in top shape and Kurt Angle who is in excellent shape, and Nash who is in better shape then Mick.  Come On that old WCW crap there, I tuned in looking for some good tv, but you cant expect someone to "believe" in that storyline enough to care.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13024 on: December 28, 2008, 01:11:11 PM »

You f'ning kidding Me, I turned in and was treated to Mick Foley, in sweats clearing the ring of Booker T, Kurt Angle , and Nash.  COME ON HOW BELIEVABLE IS THAT? This guy is old and hasnt wrestled fulltime in years and wears sweats, yet MEM stands there stairing at him trolling (he wasnt running their entrance is too short and it took too long for him to get there to be considered running) towards the ring, Clearing out Booker T who is in top shape and Kurt Angle who is in excellent shape, and Nash who is in better shape then Mick.  Come On that old WCW crap there, I tuned in looking for some good tv, but you cant expect someone to "believe" in that storyline enough to care.

He is Mick Fucking Foley, the dude who survived all those hardcore matches and the fall from the cell. U don't turn into a pussy just cause u haven't wrestled in a while.

Are u really gonna put "Believable" and wrestling in the same sentence?

As if HBK is broke and has to work for JBL to put his kids through college!

Or JBL commits a felony trying to murder John Cena with a car

or Kane kidnaps Kelly Kelly and holds her hostage in a room with a TV camera.

lets don't bring up what is "Believable"

Axl4Life
VIP

It's an Irish thing...the Guinness that is...

« Reply #13025 on: December 28, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »

The funny thing about the HBK/JBL storyline is they couldn't have picked a worse person to be in HBK's position. Apparently he's making the most money out of every other superstar in the company.

"For an organisation which is crying out for new headliners (and the experienced, talented and over Matt Hardy is as qualified as anyone else in the mid card zone for a promotion)" - Fin Martin
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13026 on: December 28, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »

The funny thing about the HBK/JBL storyline is they couldn't have picked a worse person to be in HBK's position. Apparently he's making the most money out of every other superstar in the company.

Exactly

CM Punk would've been the obvious choice. That dude has trailer trash written all over him.

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13027 on: December 28, 2008, 05:00:58 PM »

Mick Foley is a multi time world champion - damn straight he can clear a ring!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13028 on: December 28, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »

Thats the genius of it

I'm never sure whats scripted and whats note

..thats called either damn good acting...or the truth

More than a few times I've expected Kurt to just resign on the spot and storm off to WWE, or for Jarrett to fire Angle there and then

They are so convincing it must have an element of truth to it

Quick! To the bandwagon!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13029 on: December 28, 2008, 05:16:37 PM »

Jeff Jarrett looked legitimately pissed when Angle made the comment about his daughters.

good acting?

Im not sure, he looked flustered and ready to fucking kill for real.

Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #13030 on: December 28, 2008, 09:51:48 PM »

He is Mick Fucking Foley, the dude who survived all those hardcore matches and the fall from the cell. U don't turn into a pussy just cause u haven't wrestled in a while.

Are u really gonna put "Believable" and wrestling in the same sentence?

As if HBK is broke and has to work for JBL to put his kids through college!

Or JBL commits a felony trying to murder John Cena with a car

or Kane kidnaps Kelly Kelly and holds her hostage in a room with a TV camera.

lets don't bring up what is "Believable"

Belieable in the sense of sellability.

And I am not here to defend WWE as I think the product they are selling is far from where it once was.

I thought the JBL / Cena angle was terrible.
HBK angle about being broke could be believable if there was more story behind it like (with the stock market crash he had all his money invested or some BS like that) To use HBK in the broke role they needed alot more buildup or something.  I couldnt see CM Punk in that role being the rising baby face star, selling out for money? Doesn't seem to fit with PUNK, sure he is white trash, but not a sellout.

ON to the MEM, I like the overal angle. I was never really a fan of JJ in WWF or WCW, but I do love this new angle with Angle. Its killer and believable. This could possibly be the BEST fued in all Wrestling right now.

Nash, what can I say loved his as Diesel and ever since, Big tall guy who can work.
Booker T, never personally liked him, but that dates back to the Harlem Heat days, Hell of a Heel.

Foley?  I thought he was washed up when he left ECW,  In WCW as Cactus Jack and then in ECW was his best days, I never thought much of his WWE days, I know hes a 3 time champ and all that but I never really seen him as a leader of anything.  Sure he fell of a cage, all the great hell in a cell moments, He seemed like a slop then.  He can be a big man all he wants, but I NEVER liked how he worked in a Ring,  Bam Bam, thats a Big Guy who knew how to work in a ring. Foley is and has been a SLOB, when he trotted to the ring Thursday, his punches, and interactions with the wrestlers were off and definently not connecting. He wasn't selling Shit to me.  Keep in in TNA, use him in an Eric Bishoff way as a GM or whatever, Use him as a manager, Hell if you want to let the slob roll around let him wrestle, but him clearing rings? Thats not good for TNA, 3 of the Biggest and Best World Champions in TNA Nash, ANgle, and Booker getting their house cleaned by Foley? I don't want to see that crap on TV, and you are not going to convince any NON HARDCORE TNA FAN that angle looked good, that would be like Pat Patterson waddling down to throw RKO, JBL, and Jericho out of a ring. Foley is about on par with patterson.   Can't foley just disappear and write his 17th book on wrestling. He was never a Great wrestler, maybe a decent one at best, all he was is a glorified stuntman.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #13031 on: December 28, 2008, 10:53:53 PM »

CM Punk would've been the obvious choice. That dude has trailer trash written all over him.

that wouldnt work though...Punks character is by far the least likely to sell out and work for JBL...

and does HBK make more than Taker? and HHH?
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #13032 on: December 29, 2008, 06:52:29 AM »

Mick Foley is a multi time world champion - damn straight he can clear a ring!

So next week can we expect "Moolah" to clear out the MEM hihi

or Maybe David Arquette haha.

I watched some TNA over Christmas and i have to say some of the matches were impressive. But i'm not that into MEM / Frontline thing. Its been done before and i can understand why they would look to re-create a winning formula.

I have massive respect for Foley and the wrestling world is better with him in it but to clear the ring of MEM who are suppose to be the Mega-Force.

I would say its improved but its still not a real credible threat. I still think they need to focus on the quality matches that they can put on. Rather than WWE rejects talking TNA's new talent down.

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #13033 on: December 29, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »

There's nothing wrong with Foley clearing MEM out of the ring, in the sense "Could he really do it?".  Wrestling has always been about popular faces running down and clearing the ring of heels, although the sight of him "Running" to the ring was quite amusing.  It did kind of make the other Frontline members look weak, well the lil' X-Divisioners who have been treated like shit and received no rub.  You know Consequences Creed, Jay Lethal, Eric Young the guys who were told they weren't good enough by their own members, well didn't have the experience but it amounts to the same thing, the same bunch of guys who seconds earlier had run down and got squashed by the MEM.  Then Rhino, alone, did slightly better, then Foley did superbly well, now the angle has its good points, but the Frontline has stars leading things when they are past their best, forgetting Styles and Joe its essentially old timers vs old timers, how many future stars are getting the rub?  Powerslam Mag has a great article highlighting this and as many others, Lance Storm included have eluded to, Frontline have been made to look stupid.  They naively leave the arena thinking MEM will keep their word, and when MEM run down to beat Joe to a pulp in a Steel Cage they are strangely...delayed, they wait for like forever before running down when they can't get in the Cage.  Although TNA ain't the first to do this, it seems a wrestling tradition, people get beat down in the ring while others backstage take forever to turn up or just don't show up at all.

Speaking of random issues, once again brought up by Powerslam, the lack of a push for the youth in wrestling especially WWE.  In their annual PS Top 50, only 2 WWE Superstars under the age of 30 (John Morrison and Randy Orton) made the list.  A wrestling boom would have a better chance of happening with a proper and sustained push of the youth in wrestling.  In WWE they talk about Triple H, HBK, Undertaker as veterans, so since they haven't been on top for as long, Jeff Hardy, Randy Orton, Matt Hardy and Edge are the "Youth" breaking through it seems.  Edge is 35 for fucks sake.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #13034 on: December 30, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »

I agree about the youth thing.  I don't think Hardy is really fit for the title.  Maybe IC but not the big ones.  He's not young, he's not big, his stunts are admirable but old.  He is/was a known drug-abuser and has been fired.  He must have some serious injuries.

To my mind Brock Lesnar was the last credible big new wrestler to come and and swipe the belt.  Edge and Orton are decent but they don't get me that excited.  Orton won the belt way too early in his career unfortunately.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #13035 on: December 30, 2008, 12:54:27 PM »

that wouldnt work though...Punks character is by far the least likely to sell out and work for JBL...

and does HBK make more than Taker? and HHH?

According to reported contract amounts (which may or may not be accurate), more than Taker (or at least more than Taker was when HBK signed his deal 2 years ago...I can't remember if Taker re-upped for more money), but less than HHH.

Ditto on the reports (which may or may not be reliable) on merch sales and %.

But you named pretty much the 3 top earners in the WWE, so I'm not sure if that's a "fair" comparison when talking about how "believable" HBK selling out to JBL would be.   I guess the issue is....you wanted to turn SOMEONE heel...someone "high profile"/championship caliber that the fans care about....you'd be left with 3 choices: Cena, HBK, and maybe Punk, right?  Anyone else?  Cena....as top face it'd be tough to fill his void (no matter what I think of him). Punk makes about as little sense as HBK does.  At the end of the day, if you HAD to run the (shitty) angle, I guess HBK was the choice by default.  No matter how little sense it made, or how much it waters down an already sucky angle.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:01:53 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13036 on: December 31, 2008, 04:31:15 AM »

HBK broke - its not a great angle but they did explain it

The whole point being HBK had been living beyond his means - buying stuff for other people, he'd been earning loads and spending more - now he's still earning loads but cant service the interest on his loans, he spoke of houses he had bought for others -  he needs his WWE contract + extra money now

I dont actually think its so unbelievable really - i like the angle, its just i dont like fat man JBL

Quick! To the bandwagon!
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #13037 on: January 01, 2009, 08:05:48 AM »

I've just finished reading Ring Of Hell.  Bloody hell, it's enough to make me want to boycott wrestling!  I get the impression that the writer isn't much of a wrestling fan but most of what he wrote seemed well informed.  I liked his suggestions and think that wrestling would improve immeasurably if McMahon worked out a way of supporting more organisations somehow.  I like TNA but it really isn't a credible rival to WWE, especially with the amount of ex-WWE dead wood in the roster.  The whole industry would be better off if it was moderated and drug testing really existed.  Maybe it's hypocritical to complain about it all too much as I've had a lot enjoyment from wrestling over the years, but is it all really worth the physical and mental devastation some individuals suffer from it?  Like the book says, some of the wrestlers are literally crazed and have to be to put themselves through so much for entertainment.  One downside to drug testing and safety regulations could be legions of Hulk-esque wrestlers who don't fucking do anything and the product would suffer.  Wrestling relies on its Angles and Benoits destroying each other for most of its entertainment and credibility.  If it was all people like Hulk doing no moves and just entertaining it would all go down the pan.

GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #13038 on: January 01, 2009, 08:08:18 AM »

I dont actually think its so unbelievable really - i like the angle, its just i dont like fat man JBL
I think it's a decent angle.  HBK really needs good ones now because he's so old.  And if you don't like JBL it must mean he's doing his job well!  I was as surprised as the next man when he came back from oblivion to end up champion a few years ago, but he is the real deal.  Such a good heel.  That's why people hate him so much - his character is spot on.  Yes he's not the most amazing technical wrestler but he doesn't have to be.

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13039 on: January 01, 2009, 09:22:02 AM »

I think it's a decent angle.  HBK really needs good ones now because he's so old.  And if you don't like JBL it must mean he's doing his job well!  I was as surprised as the next man when he came back from oblivion to end up champion a few years ago, but he is the real deal.  Such a good heel.  That's why people hate him so much - his character is spot on.  Yes he's not the most amazing technical wrestler but he doesn't have to be.

JBL is a rubbish heel - he's hated because he cant even spell gym let alone find one

He cant do any moves, he has no finisher and Wall Street Millionaire? I remember him as a drunken bodyguard....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 739 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: