Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 03:22:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Wrestling...thats right, Wrestling!
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 739 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wrestling...thats right, Wrestling!  (Read 766529 times)
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #6580 on: July 21, 2006, 06:49:43 AM »

AAE is classic though. He's gonna get great pops if he ever screws Umaga.
Listen...

to.....

me!

Umaga....you have.....3 minutes hihi
Evolution
« Reply #6581 on: July 21, 2006, 08:51:58 AM »

Como se Dice, a face tuuurn!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #6582 on: July 21, 2006, 11:03:48 AM »

I'm gonna go old school on you all for my "favorite matches nobody talks about":

1) Kerry Von Erich vs Jerry Lawler at AWA Superclash (it was a unifcation of the AWA and World Class titles).

2) Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood vs Sgt Slaughter and Don Kernoodle (I think in '83?)

3) Steamboat vs Rick Rude in '93

4) Ivan and Nikita Koloff vs the Road Warriors in '85

5) The 1987 version of The War Games

6) Greg Valentinve and Brutus Beefcake vs The British Bulldogs at WM II (which I actually saw "live" via closed circuit TV).

7) The Hart Foundation vs The British Bulldogs in January of '87.

and so very many more.....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #6583 on: July 21, 2006, 11:09:19 AM »

Is that the Russian Chain Match from the 'Superstars of the Superstation' event?
6) Greg Valentinve and Brutus Beefcake vs The British Bulldogs at WM II (which I actually saw "live" via closed circuit TV).
GREAT match. I didn't see it on closed circuit though. I watched it on Showtime. Did you know that Showtime showed Wrestlemania 2 about a week after the event? I believe it is the only time in history that a premium cable channel broadcast a wrestling event.

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #6584 on: July 21, 2006, 11:50:45 AM »

Umaga needs to face someone people have heard of.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #6585 on: July 21, 2006, 11:59:16 AM »

Is that the Russian Chain Match from the 'Superstars of the Superstation' event?
GREAT match. I didn't see it on closed circuit though. I watched it on Showtime. Did you know that Showtime showed Wrestlemania 2 about a week after the event? I believe it is the only time in history that a premium cable channel broadcast a wrestling event.

Nope, from GAB '85. ?The finish was lousy (a double DQ) but not unexpected since it was the NWA Tag Champs (Ivan and Nikita) vs The AWA Champs (the Road Warriors).

I remember the chain match you're talking about, though....I think THAT one was from early '86 (Russians were DQ'd??).?That was a good one, too, as was the Dec NWA/AWA "Star Wars" match (which the Russians lost). ?You could, really, pick any one of the 3. Smiley ?That fued (Russians/RW), along with the Road Warriors fueds with The Midnight Express (remember their scaffold matche at Chi Town Heat?) were some of my favorite tag matches of all time.

I also remember WMII being on Showtime and watching it a week later, too. ?It was on "late night", right? ?Like 10 PM or something? ?Or maybe I'm just mixing that up with my memories of late night SNME viewings. ?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 12:03:39 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6586 on: July 21, 2006, 12:35:12 PM »

Chris Jericho vs HHH Last Man Standing absolutely made Jericho

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #6587 on: July 21, 2006, 12:52:07 PM »

Nope, from GAB '85.  The finish was lousy (a double DQ) but not unexpected since it was the NWA Tag Champs (Ivan and Nikita) vs The AWA Champs (the Road Warriors).

I remember the chain match you're talking about, though....I think THAT one was from early '86 (Russians were DQ'd??). That was a good one, too, as was the Dec NWA/AWA "Star Wars" match (which the Russians lost).  You could, really, pick any one of the 3. Smiley  That fued (Russians/RW), along with the Road Warriors fueds with The Midnight Express (remember their scaffold matche at Chi Town Heat?) were some of my favorite tag matches of all time.

I also remember WMII being on Showtime and watching it a week later, too.  It was on "late night", right?  Like 10 PM or something?  Or maybe I'm just mixing that up with my memories of late night SNME viewings. 

Actually, that GAB match was Ivan and Kruschev. Flair fought Nikita in the main event. I dont recall that Star Wars match. I'll try and track it down. Yeah, that RW/Midnight feud was great. Another great feud(although a short one) was the Midnight Express against Tully and Arne.

You're right. It was on late at night on Showtime. Strange thing about that Showtime viewing was the match between Adrian Adonis and Uncle Elmer was not on it. Strange they would edit that from the showing. Time constraints?

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #6588 on: July 21, 2006, 01:03:53 PM »

Chris Jericho vs HHH Last Man Standing absolutely made Jericho
Great choice, from a great event, same show Val Venis beat Rikishi in a great cage match that few remember, Rikishi made an awesome dive from the top, especially for a guy his size......
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #6589 on: July 21, 2006, 01:15:54 PM »

NEW DVD due out in a few months that should appeal to all in this thread....

....since it covers many decades:

History Of The WWE Championship DVD

Disc 1

WWWF Championship Match
Ivan Koloff vs. Pedro Morales
Madison Square Garden - 2/8/71

WWWF Championship Match
Bruno Sammartino vs. Killer Kowalski
Madison Square Garden - 4/29/74

WWWF Championship Match
Bruno Sammartino vs. "Superstar" Billy Graham
Baltimore, Md ? 4/30/77

WWWF Championship Match
"Superstar" Billy Graham vs. Bob Backlund
Madison Square Garden - 2/20/78

WWE Championship Match
Bob Backlund vs. Greg Valentine
Philadelphia, PA - 1/16/82

WWE Championship Match
Bob Backlund vs. Sgt. Slaughter
Madison Square Garden - 5/23/83

WWE Championship Match
Iron Sheik vs. Hulk Hogan
Madison Square Garden -1/23/84

Steel Cage Match For The WWE Championship
Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy
Wrestlemania 2 - 4/5/86

Hulk Hogan vs. "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff
Saturday Night's Main Event - 1/3/87

WWE Championship Match
Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant
Wrestlemania III -3/29/87

WWE Championship Match
Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant
The Main Event - 2/5/88

WWE Championship Match
Randy "Macho Man" Savage vs. Hulk Hogan
Wrestlemania V - 4/2/89

Disc 2

WWE Championship Match
Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior
Wrestlemania VI - 4/1/90

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart
Summerslam - 8/29/94

Iron Man Match For The WWE Championship
Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels
Wrestlemania Xii - 3/31/96

WWE Championship Match
Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind
In Your House: Mind Games - 9/22/96

WWE Championship Match
Shawn Michaels vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin
Wrestlemania XIV - 3/29/98

Disc 3

Street Fight For The WWE Championship
Triple H vs. Cactus Jack
Royal Rumble - 1/23/00

Triple Threat Match For The WWE Championship
The Rock vs. Triple H vs. Kurt Angle
Summerslam - 8/27/00

WWE Championship Match
The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin
Wrestlemania X-7 - 4/1/01

Undisputed WWE Championship Match
Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Chris Jericho
Vengeance- 12/9/01

Triple Threat Match For The Undisputed WWE Championship
The Rock vs. Undertaker vs. Kurt Angle
Vengeance - 7/21/02

Undisputed WWE Championship Match
The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar
Summerslam - 8/25/02

WWE Championship Match
Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit
Royal Rumble - 1/19/03

Triple Threat Match For The WWE Championship
John Cena vs. Chris Jericho vs. Christian
Vengeance - 6/26/05
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #6590 on: July 21, 2006, 01:48:44 PM »

Kick ass DVD, but how fucking lame to not include the Backlund-Iron Sheik title match. Its probably the most controversial match in wrestling history.

A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6591 on: July 21, 2006, 02:05:26 PM »

There's a hell of a lot of Hogan on that DVD  Shocked

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #6592 on: July 21, 2006, 02:07:45 PM »

Actually, that GAB match was Ivan and Kruschev. Flair fought Nikita in the main event. I dont recall that Star Wars match. I'll try and track it down. Yeah, that RW/Midnight feud was great. Another great feud(although a short one) was the Midnight Express against Tully and Arne.

You're right. It was on late at night on Showtime. Strange thing about that Showtime viewing was the match between Adrian Adonis and Uncle Elmer was not on it. Strange they would edit that from the showing. Time constraints?

That's RIGHT! ?I'd forgetten about Kruschev. ?I'll have to fish that match out of somewhere (I used to have the GBA '85 tape, but not sure I do anymore)....was Nikita at ringside? ?The reason I pegged him in the match was I thought I remembered him being involved in the finish (the double DQ). ?I do remember the wrestling in that match was sick. ?Lots of big power spots, lots of ring psych.....just a great match.

I think the Adrian Adonis "cut" was not entirely about time constraints (but I'll be honest, I don't remember it being cut....I'm sure it was, but I just don't remember the specifics). ?That was part of it, maybe...they probably had to trim something to come in at whatever "even" time length Showtime had allocated. ?But I think they trimmed that because...let's face it..."Adorable" Adrian Adonis wasn't exactly a widely socially accepted character stereotype in '86. ?And from what I remember of some of the antics during the match (where Adonis got, if you'll excuse the pun, manhandled even though he won)...Showtime might have felt it was a bit risque even for a pay movie channel (again, this was '86). ?Just MHO.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #6593 on: July 21, 2006, 02:12:10 PM »

There's a hell of a lot of Hogan on that DVD? Shocked

Well, the guy did hold the belt for the better part of 5 years.....Considering they're covering about 35 years of wrestling...that's a good sized chunk where Hogan was the Champ.  It's a high % ratio (about 2:1...Hogan was champ for 14% of the time but has about 28% of the matches on the DVD) but all things considered probably not unforgiveable.

Together again,
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #6594 on: July 21, 2006, 02:25:11 PM »

Pilferk, I dont think Nikita was at ringside. You can watch that match on youtube if they still have it. You're probably thinking of one of their other classic matches. Another great russian match is the Russians against the RNR Express in a cage match at Starrcade 85. Not on youtube but can be found on VHS.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #6595 on: July 21, 2006, 02:33:20 PM »

Pilferk, I dont think Nikita was at ringside. You can watch that match on youtube if they still have it. You're probably thinking of one of their other classic matches. Another great russian match is the Russians against the RNR Express in a cage match at Starrcade 85. Not on youtube but can be found on VHS.

I'll have to go looking for it when I get home.  "Reaquaint" myself with the classics. Smiley

Together again,
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #6596 on: July 21, 2006, 02:39:45 PM »

There's a shitload of old school matches on there. Match 7 in the best of 7 series between Nikita-Magnum TA is on there as well. So is that War Games match. Another cool match on there is the Midnights and Cornette against Dusty, Magnum, and Babydoll. Cool seeing Babydoll slap Cornette around. rofl

Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #6597 on: July 21, 2006, 07:25:16 PM »

Cool the first two discs have some awesome matches on them and I can use the third one as a beer coaster!!! Hell yeah.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Evolution
« Reply #6598 on: July 21, 2006, 11:30:24 PM »

Where is Austin Vs Rock Wrestlemania XV?
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #6599 on: July 22, 2006, 04:41:40 AM »

Lashley unable to compete
July 21, 2006

As first reported on WWE Mobile Alerts, Bobby Lashley is unable to compete in this Sunday's Great American Bash. WWE physician Dr. Ferdinand Rios told WWE.com, "During his annual exam, Bobby Lashley was found to have elevated enzymes of the liver; therefore, he is not cleared to wrestle until further evaluation."

As a result of this breaking news, the Triple Threat Match for the United States Championship at The Great American Bash has changed. U.S. Champion Finlay will now defend the gold against William Regal in a one-on-one match.

That sucks. (although read between the lines and it's steroids and therefore self-inflicted.....the drug testing is a killer....)

Good news is it means either Finlay has a longer reign or Regal wins, both options would rule, and the chance to see these guys go one on one again is awesome with the hard hitting style they have....

Edit: And the changes continue Huh

From WrestlingObserver.com:

Vince McMahon made the call early in the day that Big Show will replace Great Khali on Sunday, against The Undertaker, in the Punjabi Prison match. Khali also has a diseased liver and is expected to be taken off the road.

This has not been made official on wwe.com so it ain't definate but the Lashley thing is yes

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 05:12:53 AM by Stoned » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 739 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: