Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 03:14:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Regarding "GN'R member answers quest." - how legit is sp1t.com?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Regarding "GN'R member answers quest." - how legit is sp1t.com?  (Read 12760 times)
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2005, 02:04:54 PM »

I mean it's cool, but why don't they just post a single picture with or an audio clip from a member?

Because they have none? It seems they conduct all their "interviews" via e-mail.

Anyone could come up with a website like this.

Exactly. Take a bunch of GN'R fans like you and me, let them make a relatively professional-looking website that covers other bands so as not to look too suspicious, shoot a few e-mails to band members through their official website, track down Axl's assistant from 15 years ago and god knows who else, and there you go, you've got sp1at ! And yes, you could do exactly the same if you had time on your hands.

OK, it's not exactly a secret I put absolutely zero faith in what sp1at say. But honestly, who can take seriously a website that posts things like "Is Axl going broke?" with no evidence, "Brain said Robin has a hot ass" (apparently they didn't notice Brain was making fun of their question), or lets their board members post Beta Lebeis' e-mail address and phone number, because, wow, she's selling sports cars on such and such website? Ludicrous.

Exactly, Hell I'm sure alot of people have emailed the band members through their official sites, its just not everyone posts the responses.
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 02:05:25 PM »

I don't believe them - Sp1at, they seem to be the ones that start 'rumors'

You people have no sense of humor. Here's my perspective . . .

Sp1at has befriended certain members of the band. They realize they aren't going to get any straight answers from these folks, so they toss them goofball questions to keep up the lighthearted relationship. Brain is having fun with his answers; I speculate that he enjoys all you people that get all riled up that he's "in it for the money". Sp1at realizes that if they drilled the band members for honest answers "on the record"; dizzy, brain, and richard would stop corresponding with them, so the joke questions continue. All this is done through e-mail. They don't pretend to be real journalists.

As for the rumors . . . The section is clearly labeled "rumors". Don't read them and complain that they are rumours! If you don't like the sex and violence, don't go see "R" rated movies. ?Granted Axl being cash strapped didn't tell us much, but it did point us to what was probably his car being sold on the Rob Report.

Speculation, Rumors, and Hope are all we have. If you want official news go read www.gnronline.com. ?Grin
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2005, 02:41:28 PM »

That comment about Robin's ass (if it ever happened) was way more funny than "It's a band as long as I'm getting paid." What I'm saying is that sp1t really enters a sensitive level there. If Axl reads that shit and takes it the wrong way, sp1t could have bought GN'R a new drummer with that "interview". Well maybe not that dramatic, but do you know what I mean?

Yes I see what you mean. That's where a video or audio clip would help. At least you could know for sure when / if someone is joking. Written words hardly convey humour.

As for the rumors . . . The section is clearly labeled "rumors". Don't read them and complain that they are rumours!

Granted, they are labeled as rumours. But somehow, a certain category of readers seems to take them as news, if not gospel, and somehow, they end up on websites such as blabbermouth, without the "rumour" tag of course. In the GN'R world, you're really walking on thin ice when you're spreading rumours.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2005, 03:38:29 PM »

I trust Loretian
And the others at Sp1at!
Not to mislead us.

The info they get
Is not always groundbreaking
But it's always fun.

They've not misled me
Or played being "insiders"
As so many have.

Acquainted with Brain
Dizzy, Richard, and others
Tangentially

More than I can claim!
All their rumors are labeled
Quite clearly as such

It isn't Sp1at's fault
That some ignoramouses
Ignore the titles.

We're in the same boat
Trying for information
From quite a dry well.

So take it with salt
But don't criticize them
They do not mislead.

Splash

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 04:05:51 PM »

That comment about Robin's ass (if it ever happened) was way more funny than "It's a band as long as I'm getting paid.".............If Axl reads that shit and takes it the wrong way, sp1t could have bought GN'R a new drummer with that "interview".
I doubt Axl is that Thick.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2005, 04:40:59 PM »

these days magazines and rock websites just take other people's "hear say" and report it as news.. Why wopuld merck ever step in these questions are so vague that the answers are meaningless and reveal nothing

The interviews are not meant to "reveal" anything. I mean, it would be cool if one of them told us the release date to Chinese Democracy, but is that really going to happen? ?I kinda doubt it....

The only person that can give us the info we want is Axl, and that's not what these interviews are about. ?Believe it or not, but some people are actually interested in the members as musicians and what they're doing in their lives, beyond Chinese Democracy.

And Axl Rose is not a member i suppose and no one want to know what he`s been doing in his life?Huh....

Rock on? peace

well no one can get him.. Wonder what happened to the 10 questions for axl thingy..

Went to the garbage can.

Anyway, is there anyone who really thinks that that we'll get GN'R-relevant and true answers from any member? I don't. What they say is maybe true, the exact true to their knowledge, but 'things change' in every fuckin minute in the GN'R world (to be correct: in Axl's world).

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
inho
Headliner

Arnold? Who's Arnold?

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 04:49:09 PM »

I mean it's cool, but why don't they just post a single picture with or an audio clip from a member?

Because they have none? It seems they conduct all their "interviews" via e-mail.

Anyone could come up with a website like this.

Exactly. Take a bunch of GN'R fans like you and me, let them make a relatively professional-looking website that covers other bands so as not to look too suspicious, shoot a few e-mails to band members through their official website, track down Axl's assistant from 15 years ago and god knows who else, and there you go, you've got sp1at ! And yes, you could do exactly the same if you had time on your hands.

OK, it's not exactly a secret I put absolutely zero faith in what sp1at say. But honestly, who can take seriously a website that posts things like "Is Axl going broke?" with no evidence, "Brain said Robin has a hot ass" (apparently they didn't notice Brain was making fun of their question), or lets their board members post Beta Lebeis' e-mail address and phone number, because, wow, she's selling sports cars on such and such website? Ludicrous.
Whereas posts entitled 'Will Axl will dance in his kecks on the next tour?" or "Which early 1920's polka tune would you like to hear Axl cover on Kazoo?" are Purlitzer prize worthy nuggets of journalistic gold only comprehensible to a superior intellectual mind aren't they?Huh rofl

I say kettle... that pot's rather black isn't it? rofl

Fuckwits!!!!?

If this ridiculous album ever comes out, I'm going to buy it 3 times.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2005, 04:52:31 PM »

Whereas posts entitled 'Will Axl will dance in his kecks on the next tour?" or "Which early 1920's polka tune would you like to hear Axl cover on Kazoo?" are Purlitzer prize worthy nuggets of journalistic gold only comprehensible to a superior intellectual mind aren't they?Huh rofl

I say kettle... that pot's rather black isn't it? rofl

FYI, that is exactly the kind of post we're trying to fight. We don't condone them at all, and above all, they are not posted on the website itself.
You should visit the Administrative section, this is being discussed right now.

conny
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2005, 07:07:40 PM »

That comment about Robin's ass (if it ever happened) was way more funny than "It's a band as long as I'm getting paid.".............If Axl reads that shit and takes it the wrong way, sp1t could have bought GN'R a new drummer with that "interview".
I doubt Axl is that Thick.

But you have to admit that it's looks like the band isn't much in touch with each other AND the fans nowadays. Do the math...

I mean sp1t is a public website, even journalists read it (I know they do). What if one of them gets bored and comes up with an article including quotes like "It's a band as long as I'm getting paid."

Is that what you wanna read about GN'R in a magazine? Even more important: is that what GN'R wants to read about themselves?

My point is no one (obviously not even the author of that interview!!) knows how it was meant and the rest of the band AND the fans don't even know if it is legit or not. Plus we don't know what's going on in the band.

Maybe there's not point discussing the whole sp1t thing, ok - but then again, what's their point? Because as a fan I'd rather have no interviews than some vague and out-of-the context stuff like that.
estranged.1098
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2005, 10:26:08 PM »

Just don't read it. Period.
noizzynofuture
Rocker

Spread the Virus

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2005, 11:34:12 PM »

Yes I see what you mean. That's where a video or audio clip would help. At least you could know for sure when / if someone is joking. Written words hardly convey humour.

Most people can read between the lines.? ?The written word has worked fine for thousands of years and i'm sure many people are still able to comprehend humor without audio or video.

Granted, they are labeled as rumours. But somehow, a certain category of readers seems to take them as news, if not gospel, and somehow, they end up on websites such as blabbermouth, without the "rumour" tag of course. In the GN'R world, you're really walking on thin ice when you're spreading rumours.

Sp1at is at least trying to garner new information and create dialogue which is more than most sites are doing, and they do classify their info as being rumor, gossip or news.

It's a shame that other GNR sites claim this type of information is easy to get but don't do anything for their members to bring them even small tid bits of info.? ? But they do jealously bitch that the questions are too vague and that the exchange may piss of the "Axl god"

« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 11:36:25 PM by noizzynofuture » Logged
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2005, 11:39:59 PM »

Most people can read between the lines.   The written word has worked fine for thousands of years and i'm sure many people are still able to comprehend humor without audio or video.

Sp1at is at least trying to garner new information and create dialogue which is more than most sites are doing, and they do classify their info as being rumor, gossip or news.

It's a shame that other GNR sites claim this type of information is easy to get but don't do anything for their members to bring them even small tid bits of info.    But they do jealously bitch that the questions are too vague and that the exchange may piss of the "Axl god"

you can easily email the band members throught their official sites. Dont be fooled into thinking that only certain people can email the guys in the band.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2005, 06:46:35 AM »

Most people can read between the lines.   The written word has worked fine for thousands of years and i'm sure many people are still able to comprehend humor without audio or video.

If so many people were able to read between the lines, I guess we wouldn't be having that debate about Brain joking or not.

It's a shame that other GNR sites claim this type of information is easy to get but don't do anything for their members to bring them even small tid bits of info.    But they do jealously bitch that the questions are too vague and that the exchange may piss of the "Axl god"

They might be trying, but they're not getting much. I can't exactly say I've learned anything from their interviews that I hadn't figured out myself.
And none of their rumours and speculations have been proved to be true.

As chineseblues said, it's extremely easy to do what sp1at do if you have time on your hands. It doesn't require any connections.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2005, 05:56:42 PM »

Splat and any other website to me are just posters who know about as much as I do.

when i see news or rumors from "Sources" i never take it seriously.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
estranged.1098
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2005, 12:47:25 AM »

If so many people were able to read between the lines, I guess we wouldn't be having that debate about Brain joking or not.

They might be trying, but they're not getting much. I can't exactly say I've learned anything from their interviews that I hadn't figured out myself.
And none of their rumours and speculations have been proved to be true.

As chineseblues said, it's extremely easy to do what sp1at do if you have time on your hands. It doesn't require any connections.

1) some of the rumours there have been proved to be true;

2) you DO need connections to get a few questions answered from Merck, Brain, Dizzy, Richard. If you don't please prove me wrong.

It's not splat's fault that GNR fans can't read between the lines.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2005, 07:37:19 PM »

2) you DO need connections to get a few questions answered from Merck, Brain, Dizzy, Richard. If you don't please prove me wrong.

Proving you wrong practically is impossible. But I bet that if any fan made a website similar to sp1at and sent e-mails through official websites, they could get exactly the same answers. Obviously I'm not going to create the website just to prove you wrong, so I guess you'll stand on your opinion, and I'll stand on mine.

btw, which one of their rumours have been proved to be true? I mean, things we didn't know beforehand or suspected? I remember when they were called the rumourboard, they gave us all kinds of dates for supposed releases or announcements, and none of them came true.

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2005, 07:42:26 PM »

Proving you wrong practically is impossible. But I bet that if any fan made a website similar to sp1at and sent e-mails through official websites, they could get exactly the same answers. Obviously I'm not going to create the website just to prove you wrong, so I guess you'll stand on your opinion, and I'll stand on mine.

btw, which one of their rumours have been proved to be true? I mean, things we didn't know beforehand or suspected? I remember when they were called the rumourboard, they gave us all kinds of dates for supposed releases or announcements, and none of them came true.

You don't even need a website. I know for a fact that if you email Merck about a rumour that he will answer you. I also know for a fact that if you email Richard through his site that he will answer you. I am willing to bet that if you had Dizzy's and Brain's email addys they would answer you as well.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2005, 07:46:48 PM »

What I hate most about Sp1at is the line of questioning. Sure, a few of their questions are ok, but most are lame. So, I guess when a member of GNR gives an answer that we dont like, we should take into consideration the previous questions that were asked. If someone asked me 3 or 4 lame questions, then asked about CD, I would probably give them a sarcastic or shitty response too. And Pandora, as far as the rumors go, you're absolutely right. Its all bullshit. But one of these days, a rumor will come out about CD release a day or two before the actual announcement. And everyone will think that person knows all. But in reality, it will have been a stroke of luck.

Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2005, 08:10:52 PM »

You don't even need a website. I know for a fact that if you email Merck about a rumour that he will answer you. I also know for a fact that if you email Richard through his site that he will answer you. I am willing to bet that if you had Dizzy's and Brain's email addys they would answer you as well.

You're probably right. After all, those that expose their addy on their website must expect fans to send them messages. Otherwise they wouldn't make it public.
I was only thinking that posing as some sort of webzine probably helped in getting the questions answered.

loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2005, 09:03:04 PM »

I was only thinking that posing as some sort of webzine probably helped in getting the questions answered.

I realize you probably don't visit our website, the only news you get from our site is the news thats posted here, so you assume that we mostly cover Gn'R.

Read the news front page:  Of the 15 most recent items, 5 have to do with Gn'R or members of Gn'R.  That's certainly a decent portion of them, but we're not just about Gn'R, and we provide real coverage.  We came together because of our love for Gn'R - as fans - as well as other bands.  Gn'R is certainly the number one priority, but it's not the only thing sp1at is about. 

"Webzines" don't just start in a totally professional, 100% pure "New York Times" quality unless they have a corporation backing them or something along those lines.  Believe it or not, but a lot of the time they start out as something that "just fans" do because of their love of something, and it grows into something more.

Other than you not respecting us, what's the difference between us and any other webzine?  You may not like what we do, but we want to provide coverage of the bands we like and are interested in, and we will continue to try and improve the quality of our reporting, be it real news, gossip, interviews, or reviews, and continue making sp1at into something really neat.

So whatever, man.... keep resenting us for trying to do something and taking some initiative.  We've been up front and honest about everything we've done, and done it to the best of what we're capable of doing.  Insult us for being "just fans" and trying to do something more than most fans happen to try and do.  BigBoss and gigger, as well as the rest of the crew, are dedicated fans and lovers of music, and I'm proud to help them and to be involved with something I love so much.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: