Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:39:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Artistic Exercises...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Artistic Exercises...  (Read 8295 times)
Tied-Up
VIP

« on: June 17, 2005, 10:09:00 PM »

OK... I have a bit of writer's block lately.

For any of you who are artistically inclined (music, writing, other art)... what do you do to help avoid or overcome these kinds of obstacles?  My blocks don't usually last very long, just seemingly long enough to make me fall just enough behind so that I feel that sense of chaotic stress, under which I seem to thrive. 

But, the downside is that the chaotic stress also causes great anxiety for me, as does the block... (I've been diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder)... so, then I get the wonderful physical and mental side effects that go along with that.

So... I was just wondering, what do those of you that are artistically inclined do to avoid artistic block... or when you have it, what do you do to get out of your funk before you start stressing?
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 10:50:51 PM »

Well, I write music, and sometimes I get stuck.  I'm not sure if this will help, but maybe it will, somehow.  Basically, when I can't come up with lyrics for a song, I put the instrumental part of the song on a loop, put my headphones on, lay down in bed, and just listen to it on repeat, over and over again, sometimes for hours at a time.  Eventually, I just start to hear words in the music... I can literally hear the words, it's very hard to describe.

I'm not exactly sure how that would apply for writing, but if you have anything written down already, maybe you could just keep rereading what you have without focusing too hard, until a few basic words just kind of fall out of your mind?  If that makes any sense.....

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 10:54:30 PM »

Yeah it makes a lot of sense actually... at first when I was reading your post, and you were telling me about listening to instrumentals... I'm like... ok great... now I need someone to write an instrumental of my short story.   hihi

But... re-reading what I wrote the way you described might help.  I'm going to try that as soon as I get over this anxiety headache.

Thanks!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 12:47:49 AM »

I had writer's block for over 2 years where I couldnt write anything so once u figure it out, let me know hihi ok

It sorta ran its course and i was finally able write again and i havent had it again since

Stress sometimes stifels*SP* creativity

so try to relax and not put so much pressure on yourself

i found when u do things for fun, u get a lot further than when u do it as a job.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
journey
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 12:48:44 AM »

For any of you who are artistically inclined (music, writing, other art)... what do you do to help avoid or overcome these kinds of obstacles?? My blocks don't usually last very long, just seemingly long enough to make me fall just enough behind so that I feel that sense of chaotic stress, under which I seem to thrive.?

But, the downside is that the chaotic stress also causes great anxiety for me, as does the block... (I've been diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder)... so, then I get the wonderful physical and mental side effects that go along with that.

So... I was just wondering, what do those of you that are artistically inclined do to avoid artistic block... or when you have it, what do you do to get out of your funk before you start stressing?

I like to free write whenever I have writer's block. To free write, is to just write anything, and the ideas will come eventually. For example, when I'm working on a story, and I can't think of anything, I'll just write some nonsense until I figure out what I wanna say.

Sometimes I get ideas from objects. It's strange, but when I was walking down the street, I saw a cigarette butt on the sidewalk and it inspired me to create a character. If you focus on an object and think about what it represents or what its purpose is, you can form a story from it. I once wrote a song just from looking at some window blinds.? hihi?
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 12:58:23 AM »

grrr stop posting for 5 mins so i can fulfill my attempt at making a post on every thread on the front page so im and the last poster grrrrrrrr

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 01:28:43 AM »

OK... first... I have pre-orders on my short story, so I can't have writer's block for 2 years.   nervous

I've been thinking a lot on the free writing thing, even before Journey brought it up... now that my headache is gone, I might be able to actually sit down and write something.  I have to get off this board though.   hihi

And that isn't easy with SLCPunk kicking everyone else's ass in that other thread.

(Mental Note:  Don't enter in a debate with SLCPunk unless I've got lots of time to kill.)
journey
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 02:30:26 AM »

Good luck with your story, Tied-Up.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 11:25:27 AM by journey » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 05:12:31 AM »

I have a different way of dealing with things when I feel "blocked".......

Probably not something a girl can do..............
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 01:49:23 PM »

lmao..... though girls can help wit that Wink

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
MCT
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 01:59:44 PM »

Ingest some garlic, sit back with your legs elevated, thinking about nothing in particular, everything, anything, and you should eventually be fine. If not, physically injure yourself - slightly - while concurrently (and preferably) destroying some artificial knickknack that's kicking around the house.

And of course if all else fails, suicide is always an option.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 11:28:07 PM »

Start listening to new music. Metalcore, black metal, death metal, punk rock, hardcore, avant-garde, power metal, jazz, you name it. Try something new that you haven't ever done before. If all else fails, listen to classical music and read classic literature, and some of it might rub off on you.
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005, 01:39:46 AM »

Start listening to new music. Metalcore, black metal, death metal, punk rock, hardcore, avant-garde, power metal, jazz, you name it. Try something new that you haven't ever done before. If all else fails, listen to classical music and read classic literature, and some of it might rub off on you.

Do you think I should change my style to more classical art rather than my abstract and collage art? 
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 08:35:58 AM »

For any of you who are artistically inclined (music, writing, other art)... what do you do to help avoid or overcome these kinds of obstacles?  My blocks don't usually last very long, just seemingly long enough to make me fall just enough behind so that I feel that sense of chaotic stress, under which I seem to thrive. 

Well, i've had a block for two years.

I took some time to live, with a big L, and didn't push myself to write, and it came back naturally.

I think that most of the block comes from feeling guilty about not writing and having people bullshitting around, saying crap like " you need method".

In my opinion, the best method to avoid the big block is to live some more and relax, let things come your way and inspiration will come too.

Lately, i have been very much inspired, but by sex, so i write what comes my way and what my mind is set on... hihi

Why don't you put your writings aside and travel a bit ?

It does do anyone good, and you will come back home full of perfumes, sounds, people, places filled in your head...Huh

Nothing to say
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2005, 09:03:15 AM »

I work in advertising.

Advertising is not really related to writing at first glance, but you'll be surprise how many things they have in common.

I'm constantly seaching for ideas, and sometimes I go through stages which no matter how hard I try to think of something, I just can't get out of my block. The harder I try, the worse it gets. It's like a vicious cicle, you just can't get out of it.

What do I do then? Well, this works for me as I don't have a set routine that I have to go every day. I understand you have two kids, so I don't know if you'll be able to do this...but here it goes. Take one day off. That means, don't do anything that you usually do in any given day. Stay away from your daily routine. DO NOT ATTEMP TO WRITE.? Try to keep your self busy, but doing something different.? It doesn't really matter what is it, as long as you keep yourself busy. Go see an old friend of yours, go on a crazy shopping spree, go somewhere you haven't been...whatever it may be, but it has to be something DIFFERENT. Do this for an entired day. ( Cell phone, switched off).

It's very important to keep yourself busy so you don't really think about your block, your husband, your kids....

Like I said, I know you are married and have two kids, so I don't know how you would go by doing something totally different from your daily routine, but let me tell you, it does work for me. Tell your husband to keep the kids for one day, or you could even hire a babysitter...or take the kids to your mom...whatever...just take the one day off. And enjoy.

I guarantee when you go to bed that night, your head will be much clearer and the block will be gone.

*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2005, 02:24:39 PM »

Sometimes this happens to be when I'm trying to write something with my guitar and I stay up till four in the morning just picking at the strings and nothing comes out. I don't think there is any way to avoid this it just happens. If you're a musician listen to music, if you're a writer then read and if you're an artist then look at art. That's the only advice I can give

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
journey
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2005, 02:36:41 PM »

Schedule your writing; set aside some time, preferably the same time each day, where you can sit quietly and comfortably and do your writing without distraction.

Always keep several writing projects on the go simultaneously. This way, if you burn out on one you can switch to another, often something totally new comes up in between.

Keep a journal, each day write about a particular event. If nothing especially interesting happened then embellish a mundane occurrence or something someone said.

Listen to the lyrics of some of your favorite songs. What stories are going on here, how could you develop them into a piece of prose?

Take a break from what you're working on and just write freely; what's on your mind right now.

Try writing in a totally different setting than you usually do.

?
 Try writing in a totally different style or genre, something you wouldn't usually use, this might just open up a new thread of creativity you didn't know you had.

Talk your writing out loud to someone or into a tape recorder then play it back, try to listen objectively.

Don't always begin at the beginning. If you have an idea begin in the middle and work your way out, let the story unfold itself for you.

Always remember you have the talent and creativity to write. Look back through some of the pieces you have written which you are proud of and give your confidence a boost.

? ?

MCT
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2005, 04:49:29 PM »

What's wrong with you people?!? Suicide! Suicide!
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2005, 06:46:38 PM »

What's wrong with you people?!? Suicide! Suicide!

Haha - Suicide's not the answer!!! Dont Listen to him!!!!

hihi

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2005, 07:10:44 PM »

No worries... it'd take A LOT more than artistic block to get me to off myself.   hihi

Well, I thank everyone for your helpful hints... (well most everyone) and I am happy to report that my muse has awaken from her VERY LONG nap and is now going crazy.   ok
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: