Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 04:16:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Maybe Axl's absence is for the better...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Maybe Axl's absence is for the better...  (Read 15568 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2005, 05:23:39 PM »

Yeah, I've always seen the irony in calline those songs "new". They are not new in any sense of the word. I dont bring that up very often, cause it would piss alot of people off(LoL). And those "new" songs are definitely becoming "dated". There's a possibility that the songs we've heard will not even be on the album. I would be pissed if 3 of those songs are not on the album(CD, The Blues,Madagascar, maybe IRS). But if they aren't on the album, maybe they'll be on the phantom 2nd or 3rd album.
Well everyone has their own taste that's what makes the world go around.. I am glad a lot of people love the newer songs because it makes it easier to wait... For me though and i'm beign completly honest after hearing those songs for so long and having to wait a decade for new material I want ALL new material.. I am tired of the new tracks I am tired of hearing about them as well.. I want one album of all new material and maybe the bonus track of the old finished songs if he completed them more..
This is why you never sing new songs and tour without an album stupid shit like this happens.. For me the point of the new tour was also to promote the songs we were going to get ,would have been cool if it happened in 2002
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2005, 06:34:40 PM »

Yeah, I agree. I would love to know the reason for the 2002 tour if there wasn't an imminent CD release. I think it was going to come out. Whether it was rejected by Interscope, or some other reason, only a few people know. There was no logic in spending the time, effort, and money on a tour that you knew would inevitably fail without a product to promote it. Various empty arenas and major disinterest in the band proves this point. I would love to know why he even chose to tour in the first place. It defies all logic. The VMA's comeback was perfect. The stage for CD was set. Hell, there was even gang bangers in my area talking about it! And of course, Axl fucked up that incredible buzz! It will be hard to align the GNR planets in the same way again. Another VMa's, or Grammys, Superbowl, or Rio performance wont work this time. The only thing that's gonna bring another explosive buzz is an absolutely "earth shattering" first single that takes people's breath away. I'm serious. Our planet will have to literally "skip a beat". He may not have a single of that stature, so the wait continues... Axl has truly dug himself into a hole the size of the Grand Canyon. It will take Divine Intervention to pull him out.

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2005, 07:01:12 PM »

Yeah, I agree. I would love to know the reason for the 2002 tour if there wasn't an imminent CD release.

based on Axl's comments at the VMA's there indeed was not an 'imminent CD release' planned.
IMO they toured to gel as a band... and planned to take that back to the studio with them
(the VMA comment indicated the plan was indeed to go back to the studio)

and i think we call 'em "the new songs" only to differentiate from "the old songs". 
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2005, 07:19:13 PM »

Yeah, I agree. I would love to know the reason for the 2002 tour if there wasn't an imminent CD release.

based on Axl's comments at the VMA's there indeed was not an 'imminent CD release' planned.
IMO they toured to gel as a band... and planned to take that back to the studio with them
(the VMA comment indicated the plan was indeed to go back to the studio)

and i think we call 'em "the new songs" only to differentiate from "the old songs".?

I have to agree here, we all know the famous "Soon isn't the word" interveiw with Loder so, I really don't think he planned on releasing CD during his tour and they did need to gel after I watched the Rio performance.  To their credit they did get tighter and Axl voice got warmed up, just as the tour was cancelled.  Shame!    Although you would have thought CD would have come out at least 2003.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2005, 05:51:34 AM »

I think they might have planned a cd release earlier like after the fall NA part of the tour,..

axl said you'll see it but I don't know if soon is the word.. That was aug 2002, the tour started in november 2002 so it was going to last at least until early 2003. From august to november beside some rehearsals there was time to create and finish.. The project had 4 years on it by then.. Also if you read an axl interview he said the plan was to tour the spring and be on and off touring like the illusions for 2-3 years.. That album was coming out and there was never any long lay offs included.. There was way to much buzz from closing the vmas to waste it to be gone for more years.. To do something like the vmas again would be idiotic, save that for if the gnr reunite..
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2005, 11:03:16 AM »

axl said you'll see it but I don't know if soon is the word..

I didn't know his exact phrasing but same thing.  It wasn't going to be released in the remainder of 2002, who knows in Axl head what the definition of "soon" was going to be if his tour wasn't cancelled.  I agree, he shouldn't do the VMA's again, he had the thunder last time now I am afraid he has lost his credibility a bit and people might look at it as, here we go again.

check it out!!
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2005, 02:26:07 PM »

thing is the VMA performance was not to showcase any material per se...
When there is a single released I don't think it would be a bad move to play it at the VMAs - when there is something to promote I think they should promote it like crazy!
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2005, 05:56:17 PM »

thing is the VMA performance was not to showcase any material per se...
When there is a single released I don't think it would be a bad move to play it at the VMAs - when there is something to promote I think they should promote it like crazy!

I agree he should promote like crazy and I couldn't agree more, when a single is already released.  Axl shouldn't go out again without the album or a single out there.  The VMA's IMO are sketchy for him do right away with just a single out because of the hype and then "poof" Axl is gone.  He's better off doing shows like Uranium on Fuse and specials on VH1 and MTV.   Then when all that is accomplished come out and play an awards show again, well after he has officially established himself again.
JMO

check it out!!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2005, 07:33:47 AM »

MikeB,  You are right on.  I couldn't agree more.  The absence has helped Axl's mystique, and has given them a unique position compared to other bands.   peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2005, 08:46:57 AM »

MikeB,? You are right on.? I couldn't agree more.? The absence has helped Axl's mystique, and has given them a unique position compared to other bands.? ?peace

it only works for us, no one else is getting more excited and wondering year after year what mysterious comeback he will make.. It hurts him, he has more expactations to live up to, he wan'ts people to take this new version seriously.. The longer it takes the older he is getting, is he going to waste a decade or two and pray his guys stay...?
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2005, 03:39:09 PM »

Outside of the hardcore GN'R fanatics like many of the people on this board Axl's mystique or whatever has been hurt.  Most people I talk to who aren't hardcore into GN'R think Axl's a joke at this point.  They don't take him seriously at all.  This isn't normal stuff he's doing.  This gap between new material has never been seen before.  There comes a point where it stops being interesting and becomes stupid and annoying.  Axl's reached that point.  People really don't care that much anymore.  Whenerver you hear an Axl reference on TV its not about how everyone can't wait for the album to come out.  Its always making fun of him about either his physical appearance or his lack of activity in recent years.  Axl's at the point where its not intruiging anymore, its just sad.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2005, 04:17:24 PM »

This gap has been seen before...and by another prolific writer, artist known as Brian Wilson. If you don't know the story here's a recap. The fuckin dude spent a couple decades (?!) writing this album that was supposed to be this masterpiece. Sound familiiar. Many said it was never going to be released, and that the project was too ambitious or some shit. Well, the good news is that it was released as an album titled "Smile," and the reviews have been steller.

All the fuck Axl has to do is release the album. Supposing the music is as great as we all think it will be. Personally, I don't think Axl cares. He is too busy going to events, Vegas, Yoda's hut, and getting his dick sucked while he is smoking the chronic. The 2002 concert, was about paying some bills like Tyson's last couple fights were for. I'm looking at this objectively. This isn't a dude who is spending much time in the studio and passionately wants his music heard. I don't think he gives a fuck. He never has. Its why we liked him in the past right. He never gave a fuck and did shit his way. So now, we all have a problem with him? He hasn't changed. Either respect that, or find another artist who plays by the rules.

If anything, his absence has been for the better, because when he isnt in the spotlight...nothing embarrasing can happen.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2005, 04:34:37 PM »

Good point.  That is one of the reasons GN'R is my favorite band.  They did it their own way and never gave a fuck what people thought.  That's one of the reasons Velvet Revolver isn't shit compared to GN'R.  You can tell Slash is changing to fit certain trends in music.  Probably so his album can outsell Axl's.  Wow, don't hear that from me much...Slash bashing in favor of Axl.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
mr_yoshimaroka
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2005, 05:09:25 PM »

This gap has been seen before...and by another prolific writer, artist known as Brian Wilson. If you don't know the story here's a recap. The fuckin dude spent a couple decades (?!) writing this album that was supposed to be this masterpiece. Sound familiiar. Many said it was never going to be released, and that the project was too ambitious or some shit. Well, the good news is that it was released as an album titled "Smile," and the reviews have been steller.

Just to clarify?
It took Brian Wilson about 1-2 years to write that album.
gnrfan1797
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2005, 05:50:55 PM »

axl always has done things his was and on his time. I know many ave you have read the interview wit mick wall back in 1990, but i bought the book the most dangeroiuse band in the world and when he's ready he'll be ready and i know it will be something fresh and something that everyone will enjoy. i've been to the worst parts of nyc and iv'e chatted with the so called hoodlems and when i tell them gnr is my fav band they respect that and they all tell me they like welcome to the jungle and november rain. I'm confident that axl can do that again.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2005, 05:57:35 PM »

Just to clarify?
It took Brian Wilson about 1-2 years to write that album.

To Clarify your clarification:

" A conversation with him is usually quick and to the point, and he never hesitated when asked why he suddenly stopped work on SMiLE 37 years ago: "We were on some bad drugs, but we were also way ahead of our time."
http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=36&storycode=4696

When I said a couple decades, I was off too. It was almost 4.

I hope Brian Wilson isn't one of Axl's inspirations. If so, I may not be hearing Chinese D before I'm 70.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Gunna_girl01
Rocker

ROCK AND ROLL A WAY OF LIFE

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2005, 09:54:43 PM »

axl's to weird to figure out... It could just be he got stage fright, a little bumbed from the harsh critisism about the shows or songs or keeping the name

i also agree that axl is extremely wierd but hey i still love him.. and i love the old GNR.
but i think it is a bit more than stage fright, i would have thought that axl would not care for what people say...   Tongue

LIVE IT LOVE IT CHERISH IT
FOR ROCK AND ROLL
IS MY LIFE
MikeB
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2005, 11:34:54 PM »

I hope Brian Wilson isn't one of Axl's inspirations. If so, I may not be hearing Chinese D before I'm 70
Let's just hope to God he's not the next Howard Hughes. Undecided
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2005, 10:43:20 PM »

It seems like everyone or Axl? is expecting Chinese Democracy to top ol' gnr after how big they were. I can't imagine a new song kicking WTTJ or P.City's ass without the original members .

With or without the original band GNR can easily write songs that are better than WTTJ and PC, but they will probably not be considered "classics".

I couldnt disagree more. I see a tremendous amount of potential in this new band and the no doubt promising material Axl has crafted with them. Just the prospect of Tommy Stinson collaborating with Axl is amazing to me at least. My parents were huge Replacements fans in their day so therefore I grew up listening to some killer music..The rest of the band is very impressive too..studio musicians or not but with Axl's song writing abilities and a stellar band, I dont see the red head disappointing us.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2005, 12:22:49 AM »

I know we need Axl back but there's probably reasons he's gone for? a while .Like picture in the mid 90's? , when he wanted to follow the techno direction but Slash left the band probably saving the band's reputation . Would you like to have seen Guns go through a 180 degree turn like Metallica , they changed their attitude , the image, most importantly the music which was stupid and pissed off all their fans . Axl probably didn't want to continue when all the fans were dissing metal/r n' r for alternitive and grunge junk .One of the reasons i bashed mtv on this board before was because mtv has to share the same fans for whatever is considered rock , if mtv played a real Rock n' Roll band or Metal instead of like nirvana Guns probably would of lasted longer because there would still be fans supporting them for playing the same type of genre . If you took a grunge rocker in the mid/early nineties and placed him? in a time machine to go back in the eighties, he would be banging his to Maiden, J. Priest or Ozzy. But now let's look at the seventies type of fans although they were rocking out to Black Sabbath , Areosmith or Kiss , it was still cool to listen to music from the last generation like the Stones, The Doors , Hendrix , Janis Joplin and so on ... But in this day in age would you want to see Axl like Metallica in that movie Some kind of Monster whining about his drinking problems and paying councelors . Or him being a dad on a reality show acting goofy yelling at his kids ( I love Ozzy but that show destroyed his image as the hellraising rockstar he once was ) Or what else that? stupid show Velvet Revolver said they weren't going to make but they did anyway on Vh1 when they were? trying? out leadsingers, didn't the end just piss you off when they're all happy like little girls after the first performance ( No disrespect to the man Slash ok)A lot of these old bands that have returned had acted like idiots. Maybe in late 2002, Axl said,"If this is the way the Music Industry is going to be, fuck this then.I'm not going to sell out like these other has-beens,when the time is right, I shall return." peace

Yawn, I am bored. Does anyone have anything interesting to say? Or intelligible? Axl 'gone for a while'? Get real.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: