Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 08:56:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Maybe Axl's absence is for the better...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Maybe Axl's absence is for the better...  (Read 15549 times)
MikeB
« on: June 17, 2005, 05:16:36 PM »

I know we need Axl back but there's probably reasons he's gone for? a while .Like picture in the mid 90's? , when he wanted to follow the techno direction but Slash left the band probably saving the band's reputation . Would you like to have seen Guns go through a 180 degree turn like Metallica , they changed their attitude , the image, most importantly the music which was stupid and pissed off all their fans . Axl probably didn't want to continue when all the fans were dissing metal/r n' r for alternitive and grunge junk .One of the reasons i bashed mtv on this board before was because mtv has to share the same fans for whatever is considered rock , if mtv played a real Rock n' Roll band or Metal instead of like nirvana Guns probably would of lasted longer because there would still be fans supporting them for playing the same type of genre . If you took a grunge rocker in the mid/early nineties and placed him? in a time machine to go back in the eighties, he would be banging his to Maiden, J. Priest or Ozzy. But now let's look at the seventies type of fans although they were rocking out to Black Sabbath , Areosmith or Kiss , it was still cool to listen to music from the last generation like the Stones, The Doors , Hendrix , Janis Joplin and so on ... But in this day in age would you want to see Axl like Metallica in that movie Some kind of Monster whining about his drinking problems and paying councelors . Or him being a dad on a reality show acting goofy yelling at his kids ( I love Ozzy but that show destroyed his image as the hellraising rockstar he once was ) Or what else that? stupid show Velvet Revolver said they weren't going to make but they did anyway on Vh1 when they were  trying  out leadsingers, didn't the end just piss you off when they're all happy like little girls after the first performance ( No disrespect to the man Slash ok)A lot of these old bands that have returned had acted like idiots. Maybe in late 2002, Axl said,"If this is the way the Music Industry is going to be, fuck this then.I'm not going to sell out like these other has-beens,when the time is right, I shall return." peace
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 05:29:02 PM by MikeB » Logged
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 05:34:20 PM »

Interesting post.  You know it's about what's in the mainstream and now reality shows are but I don't see how VR sold out by doing that show about getting a singer, in GNR they did 3 making ofs, VR show was more a documentary if you will than a reality show like Ozzy's. 
As far as Axl staying out of the industry because he doesn't like what's happening, it could be true but I feel he is hurting himself by staying away and he also hurting his fans.   He doesn't have to do those shows and probably won't cause as we all know Axl marches to his own tune and I do respect him for that but there has got to come a time when he finally shows himself.   Who knows he just might be doing a documentary about what has gone on since 1999.  I hope he does, I would love to see what has been going on all this time.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 05:35:02 PM »

What he should do is release the friggin' album. ?That would give him plenty of exposure, and then he can show everybody how a real rock star is supposed to act. ?Instead of running away and hiding he should remind people what rock n' roll is all about.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 05:35:31 PM »

Axl can still do his own thing. He doesnt have to follow trends or sellout just because it could be the best way to sell records. He could release CD and have it sell 2-M, but if the music and vocal melodies were truly great- not just above average, most GNR fans would consider it a success. Everyone knows the album is long overdue. Just make something that will stand the test of time. Not a couple cliche one-hit-wonder singles and some filler between a couple good songs.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 05:44:45 PM »

I really don't think Axl has been waiting for any 'right time' or anything like that.
I think it's just taken this time to put the band together and write the music together as a band, gel as a band (the 01and02 shows)... and then record and then pick the right songs for their debut... then of course again after BH left... who knows... but I really seriously would dismiss the idea that it's been a matter of waiting for the right musical climate.

Regardless of the musical climate or their age or the age of the fans or any of that - they're just gonna "bring it"... um... when it's ready to be brought..! ?hehe ?Grin

along the lines of if he's better off for not having done it earlier - who knows... had he put out what he had in mind back then with the players he had at the time - everything now.. the entire situation and what this band has in store for us could be completely different than what would have/could have evolved from that point...

I miss Axl - defintiely... hell, I only known the new band for 4 years after seeing them in 01 and 02 and I miss more than I would have imagined not having felt I would have become so attached to them so quickly....
so yeah I want them back as soon as possible... but, I'm really not gonna 2nd guess destiny... ?it's gotten us this far right? Wink
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 05:52:07 PM »

axl's to weird to figure out... It could just be he got stage fright, a little bumbed from the harsh critisism about the shows or songs or keeping the name..? It is true about timing, oh my god was a single from a band that once ruled the world but in 99 Korn and rap rock ruled so it went by quickly... This time now would be damn good because rock is doing good, vr, motley crue is having a great run sabbath back for a bit cream reunited for a few shows./ I don't think you will ever get something like 1988 again or 1991. I loved the vr thing it was great to see behind the scenes, gnr did their making of the videos which was great in it's day... Everyone has long been ready in axl's band, hopefully he will gt out there and get going.. Does a person that became a extra private recluse for so many years just come back out and tour for years and drop mutliple albums??? That's something I don't know about anymore...
MikeB
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 06:45:19 PM »

I didn't exactly say Velvet Revolver sold out by doing the Documentry. If you look on this site in 2003 news section i believe ,i forget which month but they said VR refused to film a reality show of? them trying out singers but they did , like 2 years later , it was aired thinking the fans probably forgot.I've seen on this board people saying VR lies and shit like that . I like VR ( Gnr a lot more though) but they are a little rated than they should be , in my book. Either hiding is right or Axl needs to find the confidence to come back ,seriously.
I almost think its impossible for a guy in his mid 40's to be famous again . I don't think a bunch of new guys with axl by himself can top old Guns n' Roses . It seems like everyone or Axl? is expecting Chinese Democracy to top ol' gnr after how big they were. I can't imagine a new song kicking WTTJ or P.City's ass without the original members . He should of turned new gnr into his solo project if he wants to make better music than he did earlier .When people hear the name Guns n' Roses , they not only think of axl's voice, also slash's riffs like the wttj intro or scom. The name,the sound,and the image all match together? .
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 06:47:12 PM by MikeB » Logged
MikeB
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 06:53:02 PM »

I didn't exactly say Velvet Revolver sold out by doing the Documentry. If you look on this site in 2003 news section i believe ,i forget which month but they said VR refused to film a reality show of  them trying out singers but they did , like 2 years later , it was aired thinking the fans probably forgot.I've seen on this board people saying VR lies and shit like that . I like VR ( Gnr a lot more though) but they are a little rated than they should be , in my book. Either hiding is right or Axl needs to find the confidence to come back ,seriously.
I almost think its impossible for a guy in his mid 40's to be famous again . I don't think a bunch of new guys with axl by himself can top old Guns n' Roses . It seems like everyone or Axl  is expecting Chinese Democracy to top ol' gnr after how big they were. I can't imagine a new song kicking WTTJ or P.City's ass without the original members . He should of turned new gnr into his solo project if he wants to make better music than he did earlier .When people hear the name Guns n' Roses , they not only think of axl's voice, also slash's riffs like the wttj intro or scom. The name,the sound,and the image all match together  .
Besides Axl has taken so much time to spend in the studio , so some kind of material is going to kick ass...
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 06:56:56 PM »

I'm not going to sell out like these other has-beens,when the time is right, I shall return." peace

I didnt know Axl said those words... when did he say it?
Anyway Axl seemed to follow the "rare" mainstream like Grunge and and N.I.N. but you know you cant reach perfection without failure... so.... lets wait and see
SOH
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 07:00:44 PM »

He presumed Axl said it, "maybe".
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 07:26:41 PM »

He presumed it...  mmm

Ok I will presume I didnt read that...  Cool Huh
MikeB
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 08:35:53 PM »

He presumed it...  mmm

Ok I will presume I didnt read that...
Nothing personal,it's a thought of a possibility why Axl's been  out of action .Aren't these boards  what they're  for, to express your opinion?
Sino-lieS
Headliner

"...Just another day in Hell..."

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 08:39:54 PM »

Mikegiuliana...thats a great point!

Does someone who has been so quiet for so many years all of a sudden break out with year long tours and 3 albums!
I think if anything it will be a slow buildup....but who knows?

I miss Axl!!!!!!!! Angry

"You'll see it. I don't know if SOON is the word."
" ...just another day in Hell... "
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 10:37:46 PM »

Yeah Mike, you make some valid points. No way in hell is this comeback gonna be as grand as some people here believe. It will more than likely be a great album, sell millions of copies, but in no way does he reclaim the rock throne. Axl's days of being up on a pedestal are long gone, never to return.

estranged.1098
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2005, 12:19:15 AM »

It seems like everyone or Axl  is expecting Chinese Democracy to top ol' gnr after how big they were. I can't imagine a new song kicking WTTJ or P.City's ass without the original members .

With or without the original band GNR can easily write songs that are better than WTTJ and PC, but they will probably not be considered "classics".
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2005, 11:13:13 AM »

He presumed it...? mmm

Ok I will presume I didnt read that...
Nothing personal,it's a thought of a possibility why Axl's been? out of action .Aren't these boards? what they're? for, to express your opinion?
Yes that is right Mike... But I would like to read some official stuff from Axl... anyway that wont happen soon  ok
ps: I dont know why axl had to be influenced by electronic music, nin and grunge... damn his music was so perfect  Lips Sealed
                                                         @;-,--.-----
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2005, 11:43:04 AM »

Yeah Mike, you make some valid points. No way in hell is this comeback gonna be as grand as some people here believe. It will more than likely be a great album, sell millions of copies, but in no way does he reclaim the rock throne. Axl's days of being up on a pedestal are long gone, never to return.
of course this is all guess work.. Nothing can ever go around like afd n  illusions craze, that is once in a lifetime thing that few have ever had.. 15 million copies of afd, 1.6 of the ilusions first week.. That's crazed boyband numbers.. I have my theories but it all depends on how axl releases and sells the product.. Does he give mutliple videos, long tours, take over mtv with videos of gnr from back in the day like most big acts do before a major release..? If yes then it can be quite big again.. Does he show up to his gigs and last long enough??

it also matters how people view this version of gnr ,are people going to say it is, it's not ??

Gnr has always had a cult following, I belive an album would sell like 3.5 million in the states and all the arena venues would definetly sell out.. This isn't even based on their new material, just the idea this is GUNS n ROSES flashing in your face.. past people want to see gnr again, and new want to say they saw gnr.. Retro rock like gnr has also become quite trendy today so people might not even care who they saw as long as it says gnr on the ticket...
there are multiple roads axl and his band can take, and there is different ways people can react.. In the end it really depends on how much he is willing to put into it.. Will he take the time out like he did for the trilogy??

Whatever it is I'm sure it will be good, but I don't know if what we have looked forward to is going to happen with how axl has seemed to change.. 3 album ona dn off touring for several years?? We can't get a word out of him never mind 3 albums or showing up to years worth of gigs
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2005, 04:47:10 PM »

Mike, you hit the nail on the head. The reaction to CD is the key. We're going to know a week or two before its release on how big of a monster the album is gonna be. I think it will have HUGE first week sales, but will it have staying power? You're also right about Axl's marketing playing a part. He probably wont do it well. I just cant picture him doing videos,SNL, Tonight Show, interviews,etc. You just dont go from being an agoraphobic to immediately being the life of the party. It doesn't work that way. And about Axl's 3 album statement: I never believed it. If you're having MAJOR difficulty doing one album, why are you concentrating on two more? The logic about 3 albums never made sense. Axl's intentions were good when he made that statement. But it was just mindless rambling. I cant believe he never received any follow up questions to the 3 albums statement.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2005, 04:56:18 PM »

Mike, you hit the nail on the head. The reaction to CD is the key. We're going to know a week or two before its release on how big of a monster the album is gonna be. I think it will have HUGE first week sales, but will it have staying power? You're also right about Axl's marketing playing a part. He probably wont do it well. I just cant picture him doing videos,SNL, Tonight Show, interviews,etc. You just dont go from being an agoraphobic to immediately being the life of the party. It doesn't work that way. And about Axl's 3 album statement: I never believed it. If you're having MAJOR difficulty doing one album, why are you concentrating on two more? The logic about 3 albums never made sense. Axl's intentions were good when he made that statement. But it was just mindless rambling. I cant believe he never received any follow up questions to the 3 albums statement.

I picture a one album release with a very tame kurt loder interview.. I don't know why but I can't see the entire band doing interviews like most groups do. Something like fuse uranium with the group or taking over the ball like gnr did for afd..  I just hope there's a good build up a while before not just some thing that springs up.. I really think they had a lot of material and narrowed 2-3 albums worth down to one...  if you have 2-3 complete albums you don't risk teh group breaking up by taking forever, it's just to costly and risky for someone trying to make an old great band something good today with new people.. To think each song we have heard was done by 1999 at least and we call it new.. Undecided
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2005, 05:11:24 PM »

Yeah, I've always seen the irony in calline those songs "new". They are not new in any sense of the word. I dont bring that up very often, cause it would piss alot of people off(LoL). And those "new" songs are definitely becoming "dated". There's a possibility that the songs we've heard will not even be on the album. I would be pissed if 3 of those songs are not on the album(CD, The Blues,Madagascar, maybe IRS). But if they aren't on the album, maybe they'll be on the phantom 2nd or 3rd album.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: