Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:09:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chris Cornell on '92 GNR/Axl
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Cornell on '92 GNR/Axl  (Read 40271 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2005, 12:35:00 PM »

GNR lyrics hardly ever follow a regular song platform i.e. verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse.?
Are you joking? With the possible exceptions of Coma, Get in the Ring, Estranged, My World and maybe one or two others, ALL of them follow this platform, adding a bridge here or there.

You are mistaken, a lot of gnr songs do not have a chorus.
This is just off the top of my head for gnr songs without a chorus.

Estranged, nov rain, coma, dont damn me, dust n bones, perfect crime, the garden, garden of eden, civil war.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 12:39:49 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2005, 12:36:11 PM »

I'd rather him have one then completely forget a song, get pissed off, and walk off stage.

Ain't that the truth hihi

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2005, 02:35:20 PM »

Cornell should be thanking Axl for letting SG open for Gnr. SG didnt get? big until after opening for Gnr, that is when they got noticed.

Wrong.

They're coming out party was The Gathering Of The Tribes Festival, long before any GNR opening slot.

Most Soundgarden fans consider the few shows they did with GNR a step backward.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2005, 02:40:46 PM »

Cornell should be thanking Axl for letting SG open for Gnr. SG didnt get? big until after opening for Gnr, that is when they got noticed.

Wrong.

They're coming out party was The Gathering Of The Tribes Festival, long before any GNR opening slot.

I am not wrong, SG sucess didnt take off til they opened for gnr. Besides their few fans, no one knew who they were before opening up for gnr.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2005, 02:54:23 PM »

Wrong.

I am not wrong, SG sucess didnt take off til they opened for gnr. Besides their few fans, no one knew who they were before opening up for gnr.

They'd already been on the charts with "Jesus Christ Pose"? long before GNR came along and all over MTV directly after The Gathering Of The Tribes Festival.? Hell, MTV did a news special about the festival where SG was featured prominently.

Just because you didn't know who they were doesn't mean others didn't...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2005, 02:55:47 PM »

Look at their albums sales and play on MTV is was very small til after they toured with guns n roses.
The numbers dont lie. You can claim what ever? you want but their albums didnt sell anything til after touring with guns n roses.
Just because? you and a few of their fans knew who they were doesnt mean that everyone else did. yes they had their cult following before opening for Gnr, most bands do, but they didnt mainstream big until they opened for gnr.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 03:00:49 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2005, 03:04:02 PM »

...and play on MTV is was very small til after they toured with guns n roses.

Their play on MTV was a by product of the Nirvana explosion, the grunge movement.

Nothing GNR related

The numbers dont lie. You can claim what ever? you want but their albums didnt sell anything til after touring with guns n roses.

See above.

I've seen you post nonsense about GNR being responsible for NIN success, now SG.? I suppose the
Stones exploded due to playing a few shows with GNR... Roll Eyes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2005, 03:05:19 PM »

lmao, axl's a rock star if ever there was one. smoking
the last of his kind.

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2005, 03:10:32 PM »

...and play on MTV is was very small til after they toured with guns n roses.

Their play on MTV was a by product of the Nirvana explosion, the grunge movement.

Nothing GNR related

See above.

I've seen you post nonsense about GNR being responsible for NIN success, now SG.? I suppose the
Stones exploded due to playing a few shows with GNR... Roll Eyes

That is funny since in 1991 when the whole "grunge" thing took off? you hardly ever heard the name SG, it was always pearl jam, nirvana, AIC ,but not sound garden.

You can claim what ever you want but the numbers dont lie. Good day since this is a gnr board and not SG board.

As for me claiming gnr made NIN sucessful what are you talking? about. I NEVER said that. I said Axl knew who NIN was before they got huge, and that NIN opened for gnr and got booed off stage but that is it.
So please dont make up stuff.

And leave it to you to once again take a topic off on a tangent and will most likely get it locked.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 03:14:08 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2005, 03:22:55 PM »

I believe the topic went astray wth this goofy statement, leaving yourself open for the inevitable debunking.

The lack of perspective, logic and sense of musical history sleigh me, keep it up. rofl

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2005, 06:31:03 PM »

Soundgarden hit the mainstream with 'Rusty Cage', 'Outshined', and 'Jesus Christ Pose'. This was more than a year before they opened for GNR. And the success of 'Badmotorfinger' had nothing to do with Nirvana. The album was a success because its one of the greatest albums of the 90's. So give some fucking credit where its due. Soundgarden was also already established years before 'Badmotorfinger' was released. Instead of insulting Cornell, go listen to some of their albums. Start with 'Louder Than Love'. There is a very intense song on that album, if it were wrote by Axl, it would be considered a "Big Gun". That song is 'Hands All Over'. If we get some rockers on CD even close to the intensity of 'Hands All Over', I will be pleased. You will too.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2005, 07:54:02 PM »

Soundgarden hit the mainstream with 'Rusty Cage', 'Outshined', and 'Jesus Christ Pose'. This was more than a year before they opened for GNR. And the success of 'Badmotorfinger' had nothing to do with Nirvana.

Agreed, Soundgarden was well established long before GNR.   I do think the whole grunge movement magnified them though, no matter how great they were already.

Tying this back to GNR, there were many who thought their opening slot was a blatant attempt by Axl at jumping on the bandwagon.  He tried that again with Nirvana and we all know where that got him...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2005, 08:08:20 PM »

Badmotorfinger was released in October 1991, Soundgarden played their first show with GN'R in December 1991.

They weren't exactly huge until 1994 when Superunknown was released. They got some success in 1992 along with the other Seattle bands (not in the same league as Nirvana though).

Soundgarden played with GN'R in North America from December 1991 to January 1992 and then in Europe from May to July 1992.

Does anybody remember the Paris PPV? Soundgarden was shown on tv here. I bet we weren't the only country that got to see a few Soundgarden songs on that program. That's some exposure not all bands get...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2005, 08:32:01 PM »

Does anybody remember the Paris PPV? Soundgarden was shown on tv here. I bet we weren't the only country that got to see a few Soundgarden songs on that program. That's some exposure not all bands get...

/jarmo

Good exposure for sure, undeniable.

But the sole reason for SG emerging as painted by this little gem:

Quote from: dave-gnfnr2k on Today at 10:33:21 AM
"Cornell should be thanking Axl for letting SG open for Gnr. SG didnt get? big until after opening for Gnr, that is when they got noticed."

That's absolutely insane.

Here's a few questions to ponder when discussing SG's rise:

What scene did they emerge from?

What bands are they most closely associated with?

Hint: The 2 answers have nothing to do with the Sunset Strip nor GNR.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2005, 08:38:22 PM »

I was always a huge Soundgarden fan. I never understood why Nirvana dominated that whole scene. But I never really considered Soundgarden a "grunge" band. Their style was much different than those other bands. I think Soundgarden would have had mainstream success even without the rise of Nirvana. Soundgarden is my 2nd favorite band. Chris Cornell is a genius. Right up there near Axl. Wish I could've seen the GNR/Soundgarden tour. When I seen GNR, Skid Row was the opener. Oh Well. When you see GNR, you dont give a damn who opens for them. You're there to see GNR, and no one else.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2005, 12:26:50 AM »

/jarmo

Good exposure for sure, undeniable.

But the sole reason for SG emerging as painted by this little gem:

Quote from: dave-gnfnr2k on Today at 10:33:21 AM
"Cornell should be thanking Axl for letting SG open for Gnr. SG didnt get? big until after opening for Gnr, that is when they got noticed."

That's absolutely insane.

Here's a few questions to ponder when discussing SG's rise:

What scene did they emerge from?

What bands are they most closely associated with?

Hint: The 2 answers have nothing to do with the Sunset Strip nor GNR.

Falcon? you can claim what ever you want, SG had a small following before touring with gnr, then got huge exposure after opening for gnr. The album sales dont lie. Just go look them up at the Riaa. They didnt have their first platinum album under AFTER touring with guns n roses, before that they just went gold.

You can deny it all you want but opening for gnr gave SG a huge number of new fans by opening up for them.
I? have?the album sales that back me up, all you have is that you knew who they were before they were big.

The fact is SG got their huge break by opening for gnr, it gave them exposure to a whole new set of fans.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 12:30:43 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2005, 02:58:18 AM »

Falcon? you can claim what ever you want, SG had a small following before touring with gnr, then got huge exposure after opening for gnr. The album sales dont lie. Just go look them up at the Riaa. They didnt have their first platinum album under AFTER touring with guns n roses, before that they just went gold.

I suppose The Cult is solely responsible for GNR's rise to prominence then, seeing how AFD exploded
directly after Ian and Billy took GNR on tour in '87,? "GNR had a small following before touring with? The Cult then got huge exposure after opening for The Cult."? yadda, yadda yadda..

DISCLAIMER:? I in no way believe The Cult had anything to do with GNR's rise to the fore, the above was merely an example of m Dave's myopic goofiness.?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2005, 02:33:59 AM »

I suppose The Cult is solely responsible for GNR's rise to prominence then, seeing how AFD exploded
directly after Ian and Billy took GNR on tour in '87,? "GNR had a small following before touring with? The Cult then got huge exposure after opening for The Cult."? yadda, yadda yadda..

DISCLAIMER:? I in no way believe The Cult had anything to do with GNR's rise to the fore, the above was merely an example of m Dave's myopic goofiness.?

Just a little off topic question...was Matt Sorum in The Cult at that point?

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2005, 06:27:53 AM »

Just a little off topic question...was Matt Sorum in The Cult at that point?

Nope, Matt was still 2+ years later.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2005, 06:32:59 AM »

i knew about soundgarden way fucking before they opened for GNR, stop dreaming pets!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: