Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:05:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chris Cornell on '92 GNR/Axl
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Cornell on '92 GNR/Axl  (Read 40114 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2005, 09:43:40 PM »

Walapino, Temple of the Dog was a great album. Alot of GNR fans dont like to admit this, but there was several great albums that came from the shitty grunge era

Interesting comment.

I find the resentment and in some cases, flat out hatred for all things grunge by some of the GNR faithful interesting. ?

And you're right on JL, lots of great music emerged from that scene...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2005, 09:50:21 PM »

Falcon, the reason GNR fans hate grunge is because they think grunge killed GNR's career. But that is simply not true. GNR killed GNR's career. While grunge was at its peak, all GNR offered the world was a cover album and a GNR-Elton John performance of a song everyone was sick of. I will never understand why GNR couldn't have come up with something to counteract the grunge movement. Late92/1993 is a major shit stain on GNR's legacy.

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2005, 09:58:38 PM »

I find the resentment and in some cases, flat out hatred for all things grunge by some of the GNR faithful interesting. ?

And you're right on JL, lots of great music emerged from that scene...

definately Falcon, lots of good music from that era!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2005, 10:07:38 PM »

Falcon, the reason GNR fans hate grunge is because they think grunge killed GNR's career. But that is simply not true. GNR killed GNR's career. While grunge was at its peak...

I agree, that's definitely part of the ill will for sure. ?Some are so myopic they refuse to recognize the
impact that entire era had on music, how it made things that were "in" literally uncool overnight.

A very interesting time in music for sure, I'm glad I was around to witness it first hand.

As for Cornell, his comments about Axl and the Goodyear/Fuji blimp in the Rolling Stone Q and A are flat out hysterical...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 11:15:36 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2005, 10:12:49 PM »

What was his comments about Axl and the goodyear blimp? Haven't heard that before.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2005, 10:21:03 PM »

What was his comments about Axl and the goodyear blimp? Haven't heard that before.

Something about Axl demanding the Gooyear blimp for a gig at Wembley, Cornell jokingly says the Fuji blimp is in fact bigger and Axl immediately starts on about wanting the Fuji blimp instead..

Funny as hell...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2005, 10:27:30 PM »

Something else thats strange about that era is how Axl became so fascinated with it. How can you become fascinated with the thing that caused a major backlash on your band? Instead of creating something magical that might have destroyed grunge, he actually considered doing a grunge record. Pathetic. Axl must have been on some major drugs in 92-94, because his decision making in that time frame makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2005, 10:30:56 PM »

Falcon, that is funny, and pathetic. It shows what an egomaniac Axl had become. Who gives a fuck about a blimp? When you go see GNR, you want to see the band blow you away. You're not thinking about a fucking blimp.

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2005, 10:31:31 PM »

Walapino, Temple of the Dog was a great album. Alot of GNR fans dont like to admit this, but there was several great albums that came from the shitty grunge era. Temple being one of them. I love the songs 'Wooden Jesus' and 'Four Walled World'.

Yep, I actually have both albums and I heard them back in the day too. They are pretty good.
 peace
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2005, 10:37:39 PM »

I have one more thing to say about Mother Love Bone. On Headbanger's Ball, Lonn Friend referred to MLB as the next Guns n Roses. About a month later, Andrew Wood died. Really sad. The day he died was a tragic day for the music world, but it goes largely ignored.

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2005, 10:43:12 PM »

Kiss my Axl id jump but then who would support you ,your crackhead mom and your retarded little brother who eats his own shit and walks around goin "yabba yabba yabba"?

Soundgarden are ok I guess but Mother Love Bone?

U would be happy if CD sounded like a MLB cd?

Its not dissing MLB per se

but Ive waited too long for CD and I think more a long the lines of Pink Floyd The Wall, Led Zepplin 4, The white Album u know?

not a fuckin MLB cd

that would be like me saying, If the new Bon Jovi cd is as good as Britny Fox, Ill be thrilled.

Cornell is a good vocalist but Axl Rose *to borrow from Pulp Fiction* isnt in the same ball park, the same league, he isnt even the same fuckin sport.

gotta disagree there (agree in MLB tho)

Cornell from a purely technical standpoint, has it all over Axl. You could argue however, that Axl sings with more personality or feeling, which in some part Id agree with

But I love Cornells voice and he sure has the range, and to reiterate, technically he's a better singer than Axl IMO.

But that's kind of futile, kinda like comparing Bucket to Slash etc...

Axl has better range than Cornell. Yes Axl said in the past that Chris burys me (axl), but Axl was just? being humble. Axl has like 8 different voices ,Chris has like two.

if that's actually your opinion, then you got your head stuck someplace that ain't right.
Chris covers all the areas of singing that Axl does, and more....BUT, Axl has a much cooler voice, more caresmatic(did I write that right?)!

another thing to put into considertation is that Chris was one of Shannon Hoons best friends....maybe that's why Axl liked him!?

Cornell cant go as low as Axl nor can he go as high as axl. so how does cornel have better range? Just look at riyadh from HOB for example, chris CANNOT go that high. Not even close. Axl can go really low like he does in its so easy. Axl has better range and more voices than cornell. Just listen to its so easy, wttj, mr brownstone, dont cry demo, patience and i dont care about you.  They all sound like different people. cornell cannot do that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 10:45:08 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2005, 10:47:20 PM »

Dave, go listen to 'Birth Ritual' or Jesus Christ Pose', and then come back and try to make that statement.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2005, 10:52:16 PM »

I have heard cornells range and axls is better. And people think Axl sounds bad now, cornell sounds like ass. Just listen to live 8, cornell was worse than Axl was at the VMAs.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2005, 11:00:02 PM »

As live performers, there are many that blow Axl off the stage.  He was just never consistent in a live setting.

Studio is an entirely different animal, the redhead has few peers in that realm...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2005, 11:00:54 PM »

Dave, no need to insult Cornell just because you like Axl better. Axl's my favorite singer, but I'm not going to deny Cornell's talents. The songs I just mentioned in previous post are his highs. The low range would be 'Seasons' and 'Like Suicide'. Cornell is probably the only singer who can compete with Axl. As far as your Live 8 comment, I didnt see it, so I dont know how he was. But I do no one thing: Cornell is incapable of 'sounding like ass'.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2005, 11:03:49 PM »

Dave, no need to insult Cornell just because you like Axl better. Axl's my favorite singer, but I'm not going to deny Cornell's talents. The songs I just mentioned in previous post are his highs. The low range would be 'Seasons' and 'Like Suicide'. Cornell is probably the only singer who can compete with Axl. As far as your Live 8 comment, I didnt see it, so I dont know how he was. But I do no one thing: Cornell is incapable of 'sounding like ass'.

I am not insulting him. I like Cornell but just in SG, i thought he sucks in audioslave. He would be much better off with Slash and duff than the guys from rage.  And I said axl sounded like shit at the VMAS the night it happened. So I was not insulting him. My point was both Axl and Chris are not what they were back in their primes.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2005, 11:05:51 PM »

Falcon, that wasn't true back in the old days. In mid 1991, there wasn't a singer dead or alive who could blow Axl off the stage. Thats a fact.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2005, 11:10:35 PM »

Dave, I agree with that. Both are definitely past their prime. No doubt about that. But at least Cornell continues to make music, even though some of his fans aren't into it like they were with his old stuff. I've always said that GNR and Soundgarden are the two best bands to come out in the past twenty years.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2005, 11:13:04 PM »

Dave, I agree with that. Both are definitely past their prime. No doubt about that. But at least Cornell continues to make music, even though some of his fans aren't into it like they were with his old stuff. I've always said that GNR and Soundgarden are the two best bands to come out in the past twenty years.

Axl makes music ( over 70 songs) he just has not put them out lol.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2005, 11:14:14 PM »

Falcon, that wasn't true back in the old days. In mid 1991, there wasn't a singer dead or alive who could blow Axl off the stage. Thats a fact.

That's a matter of opinion, I've heard tons of shows from that era that he was terrible, others where he was really good...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: