Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 09:31:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's "Victory Or Death" Tattoo / Was Axl in the Army?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's "Victory Or Death" Tattoo / Was Axl in the Army?  (Read 23346 times)
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2005, 10:00:37 AM »

Granted Axl does have long hair in photos from 1983, but let's just say hypothetically, Axl enlisted in the Army when he was 17 (the minimum age in the USA).  He could have done a two or maybe 3 year enlistement which would have put him out of the service in either 1981 or early 1982.  If the photos we have are from 1983, then Axl would have had over a year to grow his hair out.  Since I've never had long hair I don't know how long it would take to get to that length, but I'm sure if he got out of the Army in 1981 he would have had plenty of time to really let it grow out.

The US military is not a mercenary system, although there is a valid correlation.  Mercenaries are soldiers for hire and as America has a volunteer Army, people do join for a paycheck.  However, this paycheck is between 16,000 - 20,000 a year for all privates and corporals (which make up the greatest portion of the Army).  Hardly can someone argue that people join the military for the awesome pay and benefits they receive.  People join the Army for two reasons, to serve and protect America or to obtain college money.  I reserve the term mercenary for truly dangerous and well trained combatants, not some guy changing tank treads.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2005, 05:00:12 PM »

Guns n Rock Music is right, but I think there's a 3rd reason (in addition to the patriotism and money for college) young adults join the military...discipline.  Alot of these kids come from broken or dysfunctional homes and need order and discipline.   peace

Again, I also find it hard to believe that Axl was in the military, just my 2 cents.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2005, 05:03:11 PM »

Lol - just when i thought i'd read it all

If Axl had been in the army don't u think we'd have heard about it by now - hell, he'd have talked about and/or written a song on it?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2005, 05:22:51 PM »

I dont really believe this army story either. But its possible. Maybe he was in some Special Forces Unit. Maybe he had some sort of skill that they needed. If you're in Special Ops, you can grow your hair long. If he was in some special unit, maybe thats why we haven't heard about it all these years. Classified information. Maybe thats why we have to keep waiting for CD. Axl was severely traumatized by some secret military operation. LMAO!!

gabble
Rocker

I-E-A-I-A-I-O

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »

I do believe Axl stated the tattoo was a tribute to some adventure he had undertaken--skydiving, free-falling, rock-climbing, or something of a similar nature.
Justis
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2005, 02:25:33 PM »

Personally I do not think this is anymore ridiculous than the rest of the silence. If it were definitely not true plenty of people would have let you know.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2005, 02:55:57 PM »

I think this army business is BS

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2005, 03:19:58 PM »

axl had no tats prior to moving to LA. He only got tats at the start to , in his own words "stop looking so much like a fucking chick!" ... I'm guessing he got the victory tat because it not only looks cool but is kinda a "male" type tat.

That said , the rocker tat IMHO is fugly , I never liked that tat. The rest are cool , especially the AFD cross and "woman" and also his new bracelet of skulls!!

And , does anyone else remember when slash got his D.T.U.D tat done .. man , the pics of that tatoo session were in every rock mag going back in the day. Slash looks so sloshed in those pics. lol

Moreover , since we are talking tat's .. I was reading an old article just the other day written while GNR were touring the new UYI songs but before UYI were released (even their PR person couldnt name the 1st song they played that night the writer observed.) anyways , describing "new" member Dizzy Reed the guy says "Dizzy looks very out of place and alone on the stage with his keyboard and conga drums and one must wonder if he jumped the gun with his new gnr tatoo , as you have to wonder just how long he will be in the band"

Hahahah , little did that guy know that dizzy would outlast slash , izzy , duff and matt and now is the longest serving member behind axl!!! I thought that was kinda funny.

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2005, 03:51:43 PM »

Izzy moved out to LA around 1980, when he graduated from high school.
but Axl didn't move out there til December 1982.
the army thing might explain why he didn't move when Izzy did.
he dropped out of high school when he was about 17 (I think), so that leaves 3+ years that we don't know anything about.
about him not having any tattoos before moving to LA, maybe he got this one later on..
the reasons he hasn't mentioned it can be many...he could have gotten kicked out, and doesn't wanna talk about it because of that, or several other things.
and I don't think you have to shave your head to be in the army, it can't go over the collar of the shirt though (that's how it was when I was in the army here).

it's not a big deal if he was in the army or not, it would explain a couple of things though! ok

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2005, 05:10:08 PM »

they shave your head first day of basic training...........

they get less strict once your are out of basic and your different specialized schooling but there isnt a branch of the US Militay that allows for hair anywhere near the collar.......... it's high and tight till you are out.
gabble
Rocker

I-E-A-I-A-I-O

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2005, 06:43:19 PM »

I can't find the quote about the VOD tattoo.? At any rate, I found another rumor about Axl supposedly being in the Army.

I had heard a rumor about Axl Rose from Guns and Roses being in 1-32 is this true? He does have a tattoo of the unit crest on his left arm. Thanks

Axel was with 2/32 in the early to mid 80's. Rumor has it that his real name was Bailey and that he achieved the rank of SGT. He was supposivly booted out of the service by his battalion commander. I have been told that Guns and Roses later offered to do a free concert at the Rock, but his old Battalion Commander was then the Brigade Commander and he did not feel Axel was the kind of role model he wanted to display in front of his men. I would love to know more of the story if any of you can tell it. What I have just stated has been told to me by 3 different people from that period. And yes, Axel does have a Victory or Death Crest tattooed on his arm.

http://www.3ad.org/guestbook/2001_guestbook_entries/guest_3ad_10_12_2001.htm
Litti10
Headliner

Here Today...Gone To Yesterday

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2005, 04:05:19 AM »

I highly doubt that he was in the army let alone in germans army but hwo knows .ask him
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2005, 05:22:38 AM »

I highly doubt that he was in the army let alone in germans army but hwo knows .ask him

nobody's saying he was with the German army. but people speculate about him being stationed in Germany, but with the US army of course.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2005, 10:29:17 AM »

After World War 2 the United States made Germany one of their largest foriegn outposts (maybe the largest) in the world.
Kitano
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2005, 01:28:24 PM »

Every aspect of Axl's life has been disected by the media and fans at extreme length.? It's almost bordering on delusional to think that he could have been in the army for two years and no one knows about it.? His criminal record and issues with authority make this story even more unrealistic.
patience26
Rocker

There`s someone in my head, but it?s not me...

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2005, 01:44:52 PM »

Every aspect of Axl's life has been disected by the media and fans at extreme length.? It's almost bordering on delusional to think that he could have been in the army for two years and no one knows about it.? His criminal record and issues with authority make this story even more unrealistic.

You got a point!

Rock on  ok

Blame it on the Falung Gong!
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: