Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 03:19:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  matt-we need a break
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: matt-we need a break  (Read 12042 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: June 11, 2005, 07:12:20 AM »

VELVET REVOLVER Drummer: 'We Need A Real Break' From Touring - June 10, 2005

VELVET REVOLVER drummer Matt Sorum has denied reports that the band has broken up following the announcent that they had scrapped the final five shows of their ongoing European tour.

The trek began June 3 in Germany and was scheduled to run through July 10, but will now close July 2 at the London edition of the Live 8 benefit, according to Billboard.com.

A spokesperson told the Associated Press the route was being changed to accommodate ''family obligations'' and ''pre-production work'' on the group's sophomore RCA album. She added that oft-troubled frontman Scott Weiland ''is not back on drugs.''

In an e-mail sent to Sp1at.com, Sorum said of the cancellation, "We did knock a week off the end [of the tour]. Everyone is tired. We never planned on touring Europe more than five weeks but management and the agents kept adding dates and before we know it, it was up to seven weeks and after completing an eight-week run in the States with only a three-day break, we need a real break. So that's the story, other than that all is good, just need a break and some rest."

Source: Blabbermouth.net
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 03:05:21 AM »

I was expecting one of the members to say this soon.

I can't really blame them though they have been going since before Contraband come out so no big suprise here.
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 08:20:09 AM »

I think they deserve a good break!

EEEERRRR Little boy
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 09:08:44 AM »

We never planned on touring Europe more than five weeks but management and the agents kept adding dates and before we know it, it was up to seven weeks and after completing an eight-week run in the States with only a three-day break, we need a real break.

Remember Axl saying there was a tour planned without him knowing about it and it was laughed at?

Isn't this similar? VR cancels shows they never wanted to do, it was booked anyway and look what happens. The dates were cancelled....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 11:53:40 AM »

We never planned on touring Europe more than five weeks but management and the agents kept adding dates and before we know it, it was up to seven weeks and after completing an eight-week run in the States with only a three-day break, we need a real break.

Remember Axl saying there was a tour planned without him knowing about it and it was laughed at?

Isn't this similar? VR cancels shows they never wanted to do, it was booked anyway and look what happens. The dates were cancelled....

/jarmo

Maybe I am the only one who gets the difference between vr pulling out after a 13 month tour in europe.. I see it this way new gnr has neevr gotten off the ground so any cancelled shows were a true disappointment, but with vr they have been to europe several times already ,they have played the states several times already so at least each person has pretty much had the chance to see them... But if you aren't aware you arem't aware.... See with axl it's just like you are awaiting his retunr and each time he seems ready something stupid happens so you sit there and sayyet another excuse... If things happened for new gnr consistently then a cancelation after over a year of touring wouldn't be a huge deal because you know they are going to play again... Something like rio 3 you know this is the first show since dec 2002, that was may 2003, it's now june 2005 so any missed show or tour is a real disappointment because axl might vanish for another 2 years..
To sum up my rant if vr pulls out IO know there is more to come, when new gnr pulls out you never know if you'll see them again....
People get mad with axl because he is very inconsistent and everything seems to fall through, vr keep you up to date on all matters, each band member speaks freely the way new gnr doesn't..
JJ
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 02:58:33 PM »

Is this the dangerous rock 'n' roll band??? Rock 'n' Fucking Roll... Yeah, 5 shows will make the difference... that's for sure.  Roll Eyes They should play them and then start working on the new album! No ozz-fest and so...
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 03:11:32 PM »

Have you actually been in a band and toured?  It can be hard fucking work - real fun but travelling around and having to turn it on every night.   Especially those with families being away from their kids -  it can be hard at times. 

They just need a recharge that's all, they deserve it.

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 03:39:21 PM »

Maybe I am the only one who gets the difference between vr pulling out after a 13 month tour in europe..

Maybe you are because you want to.

Both bands cancelled shows because, as certain band members said, the shows were booked and they didn't know about them.

The number of shows they have played in Europe has no significance. What I'm talking about is the fact that the shows were booked and the band wasn't asked about it in advance. At least that's how Matt's comment makes it seem.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 04:04:32 PM »

Maybe I am the only one who gets the difference between vr pulling out after a 13 month tour in europe..

Maybe you are because you want to.

Both bands cancelled shows because, as certain band members said, the shows were booked and they didn't know about them.

The number of shows they have played in Europe has no significance. What I'm talking about is the fact that the shows were booked and the band wasn't asked about it in advance. At least that's how Matt's comment makes it seem.

/jarmo

I said it sucked adnit was wrong but I don't know their situation, and I also said that at least they had been back n forth a few times to europe already on this current tour so it wasn't like they enevr played at all there.. I used your new gnr example because with new gnr if they don't make it you may not see them for years and years, at least with vr you know you will see them again..
guzma004
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 04:08:13 PM »

I don't understand this if scott has a problem with the media, and he says something to them. Now matt is saying things for him. Ok who is running this band him or scott. How come matt didn't say anything to the media when there were rumors of him having sex with groupies. Roll Eyes
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 04:09:59 PM »

I don't understand this if scott has a problem with the media, and he says something to them. Now matt is saying things for him. Ok who is running this band him or scott. How come matt didn't say anything to the media when there were rumors of him having sex with groupies. Roll Eyes

who cares.. geez you people pick apart every little detail.. Scott duff matt dave scott who the fuck cares as long as someone addresses the situation. Scott has addressed the breaking up issue several times saying it's false
AxlGunner
VIP

Ryu says: I am NOT a llama!

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 05:54:47 PM »

god some of you people are insane.

jarmo, your analogy between the gnr/vr cancellation is like trying to compare a rose and blood by saying that both are red. While it is true that both are red, there is more information that you need to look at for your comparison to have any meaning at all.

in other words, your comparison is pretty pointless.

i won't go into all the details, as i'm sure you won't admit you're wrong anyway, as evidenced by your response to mikegiuliana's valid points.

all i have to say is: maybe there's a similarity to you because you want to see one.

now you know me better
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005, 06:02:00 PM »

These guys are in their 40's, they are not kids.

They have families back at home who probably have more call for them than some of us Europeans.

Yes, it does suck when you want to see a band and they cancel. But hey, you may be out of pocket, but you're still alive, and they may return. And if they don't, you have the rest of your life to look out for.

Why are they playing 'Wish You Were Here' at their shows now? Firstly, it is a great song, and secondly, as at Glasgow, they are dedicating it to their families who can't travel with them.

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005, 06:08:47 PM »

I think it's human for them to ask for a break. They are humans, not machines.
Matt is right. I totally agree ith him there.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
AxlGunner
VIP

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 06:09:47 PM »

Why are they playing 'Wish You Were Here' at their shows now? Firstly, it is a great song, and secondly, as at Glasgow, they are dedicating it to their families who can't travel with them.

I didn't know that... guess they really want to go home badly... i don't blame them, it's been a long tour.

now you know me better
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2005, 06:12:19 PM »

I didn't know that... guess they really want to go home badly... i don't blame them, it's been a long tour.

Yeah, the album has been out a year, and they've been touring pretty much all the way through it. And they've still got a good few shows before they are done; a few in Europe and then some on the Ozzfest.

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2005, 07:54:08 PM »

i'm sure you won't admit you're wrong anyway

Tell me, how can an opinion be wrong?

The fact that VR has played shows in Europe in 2004 doesn't really have anything to do with the fact that some people booked shows without asking the band if it was ok to do so.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Sure, they cancelled because they need a break, but if those people wouldn't have booked the shows without asking the band first, they wouldn't have to cancel them.

Maybe the band thought that they didn't need to play in Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Finland on this tour because they've played three of those four countries in 2004. But the fact remains, somebody booked the dates without mentioning it to the band. That's if you believe what Matt said.

Some of you also seem to think Europe is one big country. The band played a festival in Norway and Switzerland in 2004 and a headlining show in Finland during August 2004. It's not like they've been playing Norway, Switzerland and Finland three times this year.....

At least Axl cancelled in advance, after he found out about it on the Internet.  Grin VR decided to cancel after the tour had started. Did somebody hand them an itenary when they landed in Germany and they found out?  Wink

So please enlighten me on how my opinion, that this thing reminds me of the time when Axl claimed shows were booked without the band's approval, is wrong?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 08:03:27 PM by jarmo » Logged

W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2005, 08:17:32 PM »

i always thought botaxl had to cancel that tour cause his hairplugs didn't take, not because he was uninformed about the tour. seriously, that's what howard stern was saying anyway. i mean, it's obvious he's gotten hairplugs so i assumed that reason was legit.

it's funny u actually believe he wouldn't know about a GNR tour until reading about it on the net, i thought ol' whaxl WAS gnr. someone justed booked tours without botaxl saying he wanted to tour? i assume axl had to then press lawsuits against those people then right? that then probably caused CD to be pushed back another 5 years, right? cause if someone was booking tours (selling the GNR name) without axl's permission that would be illegal right? so did axl fire the people who were doing this and find new management?

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2005, 08:19:11 PM »

These guys are in their 40's, they are not kids.

They have families back at home who probably have more call for them than some of us Europeans.

Yes, it does suck when you want to see a band and they cancel. But hey, you may be out of pocket, but you're still alive, and they may return. And if they don't, you have the rest of your life to look out for.

yeah man 40 average age, they aren't single anymore (well matt) the partying is less.. They just have to take a break and spend time with their loved ones.. Great they need to create to fix up the setlist... I would really like to hear come on come in live ( i need good speaker rant)

it does without a doubt suck they aren't playing those shows.. Hopefully they will go back and play them later
AxlGunner
VIP

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2005, 08:24:56 PM »

i'm sure you won't admit you're wrong anyway

Tell me, how can an opinion be wrong?

OK, to elaborate on what I wrote, how about this: "I'm sure you won't admit when someone makes a valid point that contradicts your point, or even lessens the value of whatever point it was you made or were trying to make."

This is what you initially wrote:

"Remember Axl saying there was a tour planned without him knowing about it and it was laughed at? Isn't this similar?"

First of all, are you stating an opinion or asking a question? It looks like you are asking a question, but also implying that the answer was yes, they are similar. Well, I guess the simple answer IS yes, the two examples are similar.

But, if you don't want a simple answer, and instead a more nuanced- and perhaps meaningful one- then the answer is that while the two events are similar, they are absolutely not the same. (i'll concede this to you though: you probably weren't looking for a nuanced or meaningful answer to your question.)

Here's what happened to VR: their booking agents and management were given the responsibility of booking tour dates for a european tour. they booked too many and vr decided they wanted to end early.

gnr: axl's management was never given permission to book any tour, nor did axl even know that they were doing such things.

So where is the difference? Simply, axl never knew anyone was booking a european tour. vr WAS aware that people were booking a tour, and they approved of it. However, they dissapproved of the length of the tour that was booked.

In other words: Axl dissapproved of ANY and ALL dates booked, while vr APPROVED of the booking of tour dates in principle, but dissapproved of how MANY dates were booked. Hence, a subtle but very important difference in your analogy that for some reason you don't seem to care about.

Like I said before, if you want to say that "blood" and "roses" are similar because they are both red, then fine, you can say that... but the comparison is ultimately meaningless because you can't use it as evidence that the two are the same.

now you know me better
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: