Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 01:36:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228490 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How Jim Morrison and Axl are alike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Jim Morrison and Axl are alike  (Read 10460 times)
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2005, 09:52:16 AM »

people "pushing" at a rock concert ... whats the world coming too?

I'm sure it wasn't just "pushing" if you see what I mean.

And there's another "testimony" from Duff, albeit second hand :

"Also, other things happened at the St. Louis gig that I wasn't told about until two days after the gig. Duff didn't want me to get excited.

Such as?
Such as Duff getting hit with a bottle twice during the show. Duff knows I would have called the show and he didn't want to be responsible for whatever happened out of that. Duff's attitude is, "I'm a man about things. I got hit with a bottle, big deal." My attitude is that no, you don't allow yourself to get hit by bottles because that encourages it in the future. If someone goes and tells a story that he threw a bottle at Guns N' Roses, three years, five years from now some kid could remember that story he heard at a kegger, and throw at someone else and take them out. I learned this from Lemmy of Motorhead. I have more respect for what Lemmy's gonna tell me about how to run a rock show than some kid on the street going, "That's kinda wimpy that you pulled off." It's like, no, I'm sorry, I listen to people other than you.

That's another interesting article :
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=75

Once again, I'm first in line to not systematically believe what comes out of people's mouth, but in this case I see no reason why all those "explanations" should be bogus.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 10:03:36 AM by Pandora » Logged

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2005, 10:59:56 AM »

I'm sure it wasn't just "pushing" if you see what I mean.

And there's another "testimony" from Duff, albeit second hand :

"Also, other things happened at the St. Louis gig that I wasn't told about until two days after the gig. Duff didn't want me to get excited.

Such as?
Such as Duff getting hit with a bottle twice during the show. Duff knows I would have called the show and he didn't want to be responsible for whatever happened out of that. Duff's attitude is, "I'm a man about things. I got hit with a bottle, big deal." My attitude is that no, you don't allow yourself to get hit by bottles because that encourages it in the future. If someone goes and tells a story that he threw a bottle at Guns N' Roses, three years, five years from now some kid could remember that story he heard at a kegger, and throw at someone else and take them out. I learned this from Lemmy of Motorhead. I have more respect for what Lemmy's gonna tell me about how to run a rock show than some kid on the street going, "That's kinda wimpy that you pulled off." It's like, no, I'm sorry, I listen to people other than you.

That's another interesting article :
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=75

Once again, I'm first in line to not systematically believe what comes out of people's mouth, but in this case I see no reason why all those "explanations" should be bogus.

But , if what is said here is true then axl still didnt know about the bottles until a full two days after the gig.

and again , that is IF what is said there is even true to begin with.

anyways , it's really off topic now .. i just wondered why you didnt state all the facts in the 1st place since you worked your reply in a way that came off as sounded very very positive that other things happened at the concert then what the media put off. I kinda fell under the assumption that you were there going by what you said and was/am rather dissapointed that the "facts" you have are mere quotes from Axl Rose. (who could be lying to cover his ass as much as he could be telling the truth.)

regardless .. axl and jim are kinda similar and jim is still alive and democracy starts now and slash is in axls house or ass or something and everyone will be back this summer with a whole bunch of new songs if we blame canada!

Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2005, 11:06:22 AM »

They're both from Indiana.....other than that?  Not too much in common.

They are both a product of their times and those times vary greatly.  Both self-destructive, but in different ways.  Although, they did both strive for and then pissed away their fame. 
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2005, 11:14:01 AM »

They're both from Indiana.....other than that?? Not too much in common.

Its hard to say that Morrison was from anywhere since he had a military dad but he was actually born in Melbourne, FL, went to FSU for a short time and had lived with some other relatives in the Tampa/St. Pete area for awhile.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2005, 11:45:29 AM »

But , if what is said here is true then axl still didnt know about the bottles until a full two days after the gig.

Damn, you're so nitpicky it's incredible. He didn't know Duff had been hit with a bottle, it does't mean he didn't see other bottles flying or in the crowd.

anyways , it's really off topic now .. i just wondered why you didnt state all the facts in the 1st place since you worked your reply in a way that came off as sounded very very positive that other things happened at the concert then what the media put off. I kinda fell under the assumption that you were there going by what you said and was/am rather dissapointed that the "facts" you have are mere quotes from Axl Rose. (who could be lying to cover his ass as much as he could be telling the truth.)

Apparently you didn't bother reading the full articles at the links I gave, because there were quotes from other people in them. I don't know what you would consider a "fact" exactly. Most things passed off as facts are taken from people's declarations anyway.
I don't know, maybe if Slash had said that instead of Axl, it would be more believable, because everyone knows Axl is such a goddamn liar  hihi

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2005, 11:51:46 AM »

I'd see more similarities between Axl and John Lydon than Axl and Jim Morrison.

I know a fat lot about Jim and I sense (obviously Tongue) his stout Oedipus complex in his lyrics,  unlike in Axls.

Both self-destructive,

Hum,  I don't think Axl is self-destructive offstage.
They say he doesn't smoke, does daily exercise and keeps his distance with nuisance as far as possible.
sounds Pretty healthy.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2005, 12:02:10 PM »

Yeah. people yelling at a rock concert. wheres the manners??

You see, it's because of all those stupid persons who always make "pogo" that I always buy seats tickets. I can garantee you that if a guy starts wanting to "pogo" with me I will get really annoyed and he may regret what he did within a second (a good punch in his face). When you go to a concert, you go to listen to music, to support the band and to have fun, it's like a party, you've to be happy, not to "pogo" with brain drunk individues who will ruin your concert. What's the goal? Tell me what's the goal?
For St-Louis, thanks Pandora I didn't know all these details (gang thing, bottles etc..). If I were Axl, I would have done something alike considering the context.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 12:08:25 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2005, 12:07:40 PM »

I know a fat lot about Jim and I sense (obviously Tongue) his stout Oedipus complex in his lyrics,  unlike in Axls.

Both self-destructive,

They say he doesn't smoke, does daily exercise and keeps his distance with nuisance as far as possible.
sounds Pretty healthy.

Yep, as i said, Morrison was a ward case who knew nothing but drugs and Axl Rose was fully created from a man called William who had issues at one point of his life and who seems to be fully sorted now.

Anything Morrison is a haze, anything Axl is concise.
Anything Morrison is a craze, anything axl is a phase.

smoking

Nothing to say
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2005, 12:35:09 PM »

Axl and John Lydon?  They seem like polar opposites to me. 

I think the way he's damaged his career and near every relationship and friendship in his life is not exactly healthy. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2005, 01:10:11 PM »

Axl and John Lydon?? They seem like polar opposites to me.?

I thought that comparison was a bit off as well...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2005, 01:48:55 PM »

Well that comparison was basically like "an Aquarian seems much closer to a Goat than a Scorpion" kinda stuff. It's just comparing the comparison A with the comparison B vaguely.

Still FYI, try this interview of John Lydon '89.
http://www.fodderstompf.com/ARCHIVES/INTERVIEWS/sounds89.htm

I think the way he's damaged his career and near every relationship and friendship in his life is not exactly healthy. 

Why? I'd say being surrounded by the people you have no trust in would be deadly unhealthy.

The vicious circle of Co Dependence lies at the root of all evil.

At some point you got to force an end to it through at all cost.
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2005, 02:16:19 PM »

Damn, you're so nitpicky it's incredible. He didn't know Duff had been hit with a bottle, it does't mean he didn't see other bottles flying or in the crowd.

Doesnt really mean he did see any bottles flying around either. All I know is that if I was about to face heavy criminal charges for inciting a riot I'd say whatever it took to get my ass out of the frying pan too. "those mean biker gang people were pushing and yelling and throwing bottles and taking my picture at my rock concert! So I said "fuck that!"  hihi

I don't know what you would consider a "fact" exactly.

Physical evidence of the "gang members" wielding knives and hitting people with bottles would suffice.  ok

I don't know, maybe if Slash had said that instead of Axl, it would be more believable, because everyone knows Axl is such a goddamn liar  hihi

nah , I think Slash is one of the biggest liars of all time. Have you ever seen all those "more proof slash is a liar" posts on other forums?  hihi

Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2005, 02:49:14 PM »

Physical evidence of the "gang members" wielding knives and hitting people with bottles would suffice.  ok

And that "evidence" would be based on what? Pictures? Videotapes? I'm sure you realize how hard it would be to obtain.

Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2005, 03:05:53 PM »

And that "evidence" would be based on what? Pictures? Videotapes? I'm sure you realize how hard it would be to obtain.

hard to obtain?! the band was videotaping everything at that period .. I'm sure there was a camera focused on the audience. and GNR had their own personal photographer also. if things were that out of hand somebody should of documented it on film , no? atleast then axl would had some concrete evidence to bring to court right?

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2005, 03:42:12 PM »

wouldnt it make alot more sence to actually explain and go into detail about all the other things you think st.louis was about then just being vague and opening it up to further questions and rants?

Huh

I don't think there are other things, those things were actually mentioned by Axl in several interviews (including in RS I believe), but no one ever bothers reporting that. It's so much easier to pretend it was just a camera issue and Axl went bonkers for no reason.
The guy who had the camera wasn't a poor innocent victim, he was part of a whole gang who had smuggled in glass bottles and knives into the venue, and the security didn't try to stop them because they were accomplices. The gang had been bullying and physically threatening the people in the first rows since the beginning, and basically constantly disrupting the show. The band tried to have security intervene, but of course that didn't happen. So Axl decided to take matters into his own hands. The camera thing was only the last straw. By that time Axl's patience was wearing very thin because of what had happened earlier.

thank you.? ok
 anyone who has not read this article about the St. Louis riot NEEDS to read it http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=59

edit:  ah... the article/link has already been cited
glad to see that the board members are reading the articles section  ok

allow me another post to get 'back on topic'...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 03:47:54 PM by Eva GnRAxlRosette » Logged
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2005, 04:20:09 PM »

I've actually been reading "Break on Through" the Jim Morrison biography, for the past few days.? Great read.? Descriptions of Jim and accounts of Jim's life and performances have reminded me of Axl often while reading it...? such as the excerpt below.

The Doors Concert at the Hollywood Bowl? - July 5, 1968:

"The Doors had fifty-four amplifiers spread ninety-six feet across the stage producing sixty thousand watts of power.? All eightgeen thousand seats were sold out.? This was their homecoming concert and they wanted it ot be special.

"Steppenwolf opened.? John Kay and company had a big hit with "Born to Be Wild" and they were well received.? The Chamers Brothers ("The Time Has Come"), however, stole the show.? Known as a hard-working stage act, they put their all into it and came off great.? Perhaps too great.? When thier set was over there was definitly a feeling of anticlimax in the air.? The Doors came on and opened wiht "When The Music's Over."? For some reason they decided to extend the keyboard intro a great deal longer than usual.? The ideas was to build the suspense, but the passage went on so long that it became monotonous and the auidence began to get impatient.? By the time Densmore did his drumroll and Morrison his scream, the crowd was already primed for a less than spectacular evening.? Audiences never knew what to expect from The Doors, however, and for a while they waited expectedly - waiting for Jim Morrison to do something.? But he didn't.? He just sood there and sang his heart out.

"A lot of people claim Morrison was great that night.? Few had actually heard waht a powerful range he had, but for some reason Jim got down and sang at the Bowl.? The energy he usually put into his physical movements onstage went into this voice.? Maybe it was because he'd dropped acid just before the show or because Jagger was in the audience or perhaps it was because he was tired of playing the freak.? Whatever the reason, the crowd was caught by surprise.? After the first three of four songs the audience began to get edgy.? Why isn't he doing anything?? Even "Hello, I Love You," The Doors' current big hit didn't seem to pacify them.? Later the audience creid fot "The Crystal Ship" and Morrison shouted back at them and then sang what he wanted to sing.? The crowd seized such moments for all they were worth.? They were desperate for him to be larger than life.? They wanted the myth and not the man.? (underlining mine).

"After another couple of songs including a section of "The Celebration of the Lizar," a few teenyboppers began to scream for "Ligh My Fire."? Onstage The Doors talked among themselves.? Though they were tired of performing thier first hit, they would do it sooner or later int he show anyway.? Why not give the crowd what they wanted?? Seconds later, as the famous intro began, loud cheers broke out all over the Bowl.? People began lighting sparklers and throwing them at the stage.? It was a moment.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 04:24:19 PM by Eva GnRAxlRosette » Logged
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2005, 04:21:40 PM »

(continued)

"But soon the song was over and still the audience waited, waited for something from Morrison that he just wasn't prepared to give.  It was the day after the Fourth of July and the evening was puntuated with leftover firecrackers from self-appointed entertainers in the audience.  At one point some agile outsiders scalled the walls of the Bowl, attracting attention as squds of users converged on them.  One dihard fan even managed to dodge his way right on the stage.  Morrison paid no mind and just kept singing.  It didn't bother him.  In fact, almost nothing bothered him that night.  Morrison was never more opent or more generous with his audience.  He was playful - singing, dancing, joking and reciting poems.  Everything went smoothly, too smoothly for many in the crowd and they became restless.  The impact of "The Unknown Soldier" seemed dissipated.  Instead of being entranced by chaos and surround by passion, love, violence, and death, the audience had been reduced to mere spectators watching a well executed performance which contained nothing of crucial significance.  it was a good show and nothing more.  The mystique had turned mundane.

"The sense of unpredictablity and spontaneity, so importat to the sucess of a Doors concert, was missing.  Apparently Morrison had decided to show what a professional he could be and that was exactly what the audience did not want.  What they wanted was temperament, tension, the feeling that something was about to snap unleasing something horrible and utterly uncontainable.  At the climax of the show when the lights didn't go down during "The End", They didn't want Morrison to keep his cool and go on singing.  They wanted him to scream, make a fuss, or maybe even walk off stage.  If he had they would have screamed for refunds, but they would have understood and they would have been satisfied.  Instead Morrison was not only cool about it, but actually playful . . . joking around.  Joking around during "The End"?  It was unthinkable.  Nevermind that he had probably performed the song a thousand times by then.  He was not only supposed to feel it, but be overcome by emotion and outrage at his own words written long ago when he was a differnt mand in a different world.

"Perhaps the Bowl itself was to blame.  It was a forbidding place, forcing the crowd to keep tis distance and reeking of austerity.  When it was over Morrison left the stage, slumped and exhausted.  He seemed smaller at that moment, almost slight as he walked towward his dressing room, eyes bland, face covered with sweat.  The Doors' concert at the Hollywood Bowl should have been the return of the conquering heros.  It should have been a high point in the career of a local group who had become the number one American rock 'n' roll band.  Instead it was abore.  And to Jim Morrison it clearly showed that another possible escape route from his bizarre and glamours prision had already been sealed off."

I imagine Axl fighting the same expectations.
MikeB
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2005, 04:39:20 PM »

maybe Jim and Axl  don't have that much in common as i thought they did, but at least i don't start threads lying that i met axl in a resturaunt or i walked in a bar where someone says he works for a record company and heard chinese democracy is done. I suggest the next person that says he met axl ,have proof by having a pic taken and post it on here
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2005, 04:58:18 PM »

maybe Jim and Axl  don't have that much in common as i thought they did, but at least i don't start threads lying that i met axl in a resturaunt or i walked in a bar where someone says he works for a record company and heard chinese democracy is done. I suggest the next person that says he met axl ,have proof by having a pic taken and post it on here

damn skippy!  ok

Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2005, 08:08:11 PM »

AAAAH FUCK MORRISON!!! Overrated fucker, dont get me wrong I dig the doors but that fucker couldnt project if his life depended on it, Although I guess this is a fair opinion, cause u could say Morrison was the Axl Rose of his day. Cept Axl's still breathing.  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: