Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:29:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Should the promotion for CD remain "low-key"?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should the promotion for CD remain "low-key"?  (Read 9068 times)
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« on: May 23, 2005, 01:51:50 AM »

OK, it seems that CD may be coming soonish - i feel quite confident that we're going to get an announcment for a release date this year - my guess is a release late this year or early next.

So my question is, should the promotional campaign be a huge bombastic, saturation type media blitz or should it be a lowkey affair? Granted, it will be a rather big story (at least in the rock community) regardless of what approach the record company chooses to take. But if the songs are as good as I think they will be and the album is undeniably strong, perhaps a "word of mouth" campaign is all that is required? Minimal promotion, no videos and some small gigs ?

Of course the record company has invested alot of money and wants to see a return on this investment, but there might be value in marketing it as a word of mouth "grower" - this might have more sustainability and longevity than a media blitz which might yield an initial high return and then fizzle.

What are peoples thoughts?

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 02:12:19 AM »

I can see something like an IPOD commercial with Axl jamming and the band in color shape outlines like U2 did. I dont believe the promotion would go much further. Maybe Axl will still want to air silent CD commercials on MTV. Movie soundtrack is also very possible.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 04:47:23 AM »

I think it should be as loud and high-key as possible! Let the pussies know that GN'R is back with a bang! Grin

Fuck 'Em All.
Warren
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 04:48:20 AM »

Jimmy,

I think you are very optimistic, that's my thought. Roll Eyes
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 06:07:27 AM »

the biggest promotion possible would be a free show in hyde park (london) or central park (NY) with 200.000 people +
Something huge a la Pink Floyd, with a big stage, big lights etc..

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 08:20:23 AM »

I think it should be as loud and high-key as possible! Let the pussies know that GN'R is back with a bang! Grin

fuck yea!

word of mouth my ass.. i dont want people to go up to their friends and go "hey, did ya hear? gnr's new album's finally comin out" and then the friend goes "yeah right.. that's what they've been sayin for years"

i want the promotion for CD to be huge so that people can finally see a comercial for it on tv and shit their pants..

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 08:22:58 AM »

How much? A lot less than most people around here think. Most likely some print advertising in the usual music publications, some in-store POP displays, and thats probably about it.

I predict that everyone here has built up this album to such mythic proportions that when it doesn't sell 40,000,000 copies in the first week and change the entire face of music and align the planets everyone will blame the label for its 'lack of promotion'.
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 08:26:13 AM »

i don't think we'll see the cd anytime soon. the way i see it nothing significan as changed in order for us to believe a release date is near. all we know is that the current members are still selling the story they were selling 5 years ago. "it's coming soon".

for christ sake, gn'r sold t-shirts saying chinese democrazy starts now!!! in the year 2000, and 5 years later it's all the same... or better yet, we are one guitar player short. so talking about promotion now seems kinda far fetched to me, but that's just one man's opinion, and boy how i wish i was deadly wrong on this one  beer

Chinese Democracy!
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 01:57:15 PM »

I think the New GnR should kick the motherfucking door open, and slap the media across the face with an unrelenting bomboardment of advertising,billboards,commercials,Radio spots THE WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let everyone know ur coming, and theres nothing they can do about it  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 04:01:50 PM »

There will be little promotion for CD. Maybe some huge billboards in the music stores advertising it. Probably a commercial. If Axl can handle it, maybe an interview or two on tv or magazine. But not much more than that. I have a feeling there wont even be any videos. The album will debut at #1. How many millions it sells is pure speculation. This album will not have an "overkill factor". Either you buy it, or you dont. Its not gonna be shoved down your throats like MTV does with hiphop/pop stars albums. And to be honest, I think its a good marketing strategy. Just let the album sell itself.

blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 05:05:15 PM »

If anyone thinks the promotion will be low key u should prolly get ur IQ checked. If anyone thinks that there will be no videos u should prolly go get a brain transplant. Comin from Axl no video, lets see he was known for makin big fucken huge over the top videos. So u actually think there will be no videos.   The media will be all over this when it comes out and if the first single is a smash thats all the promotion any album needs.  Also the record company spends 13million and u dont believe there gonna promote the fuck out of it to get there money back plus more. 

Yeah u guys are prolly right they wont promote this album.

Kayne West qoute "George Bush dont like black people".  Kayne West is like the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Shes a gold digger says it all.  His mind, his ideas, his art, is nothing short of genius.
Mateoson
Rocker

Free Axl!

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 05:34:14 PM »

I don't know what to think about wether it will be low key or not. I do know this, I thought the shitty tour that they couldn't finish was pretty low key. I mean, I told people I might be going and most everybody had no clue they were touring. Not only that, but they said shit like "they got back together?". To me that was low key so maybe cd will be too.

But I think you started this thread with a sense of false hope. It' just another excuse as to why there is no movement by Axl. I finally learned my lesson. No more wishfull thinking. At this point in time I doubt it will ever come out. But if it does I'll be so stoked.

Mateoson
Rocker

Free Axl!

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 05:36:23 PM »

If anyone thinks the promotion will be low key u should prolly get ur IQ checked. If anyone thinks that there will be no videos u should prolly go get a brain transplant. Comin from Axl no video, lets see he was known for makin big fucken huge over the top videos. So u actually think there will be no videos.   The media will be all over this when it comes out and if the first single is a smash thats all the promotion any album needs.  Also the record company spends 13million and u dont believe there gonna promote the fuck out of it to get there money back plus more.

Where have you been at? Bin Laden gets out more than Axl Rose!  rofl I will be shocked when we finally see his face again... let alone a glitzy video. Just my 2 cents.

slash4ever
Rocker

One In A Million

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 05:44:41 PM »

No way!
They should let the world know GNR are back (if that ever happens) and be fucking proud of it!! peace

What's so civil about war anyway?
hyperionmax2003
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 06:15:29 PM »

It's needs to have the biggest promotion it can get.  If it's successful, we can look foward to a bunch more cd's/dvd's/concert/ etc.  An example would be the Motley Crue reunion.  Any place you go you can get crue mechandise.  But if you want a low-key promotion, take a look at the Judas Priest reunion.  The low key-promotion, shows on their newest  album sales.  We want GNR to kick the world's ass again, not remain in obscurity.
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 06:22:19 PM »

Should the promotion be low key ?

Ok, put things into perpective :

are you fucking nuts ?  hihi

How does this album cost again ?

A low key thing ( word of mouth) could work for robbie williams who still has thousands of women wanting to shag his bones and hunting the net in hope of news.

No one remembers GNR as of now. No one but us sad souls.

They'd need as much coverage as possible to start getting a buzz around them.

Nothing to say
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 07:08:59 PM »

I don't think Universal is going to adopt a low-key approach to making their $13 million back. The best thing for all involved would be to get the disc on rotation at  every radio station possible, advertise heavily on tv for a couple of weeks, give away plenty of front-page "exclusive" interviews and such to the magazines and see what happens. 
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 07:22:52 PM »

Should the promotion be low key ?

Ok, put things into perpective :

are you fucking nuts ?? hihi

How does this album cost again ?

A low key thing ( word of mouth) could work for robbie williams who still has thousands of women wanting to shag his bones and hunting the net in hope of news.

No one remembers GNR as of now. No one but us sad souls.

They'd need as much coverage as possible to start getting a buzz around them.

Jessica's exactly right.  But, and a very big but, it's all going to depend on one W. Axl Rose's mindset.  Whatever Axl puts his mind to, he'll accomplish.  It all depends on what Axl is looking for, mass appeal, or critical appeal.  If the marketing is too much, critics will turn on him.  If there's no marketing, nobody will know GNR from a hole in the wall, and even if they do, they'll be looking for friggin Slash.  The perfect balance will result in something the current bands like Green Day or U2 have done. 
   Honestly, I respect Axl immensely, but he's definitely the Howard Hughes of rock n' roll.  How do you market something like what we're envisioning, when the guy doesn't talk to media?  If it ever happens, it'll be interesting.  A Super Bowl performance would be the greatest...just my opinion!   peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 07:28:39 PM »

Jessica is right. Nothing to add. ok
Just something I'd like to say: THEY MUSN'T REPEAT THE SAME MISTAKES OF 2002 (zero promotion)..
It needs to be 10 times bigger!

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 07:29:05 PM »

If anyone thinks the promotion will be low key u should prolly get ur IQ checked. If anyone thinks that there will be no videos u should prolly go get a brain transplant. Comin from Axl no video, lets see he was known for makin big fucken huge over the top videos. So u actually think there will be no videos.? ?The media will be all over this when it comes out and if the first single is a smash thats all the promotion any album needs.? Also the record company spends 13million and u dont believe there gonna promote the fuck out of it to get there money back plus more.?

Yeah u guys are prolly right they wont promote this album.

I think youre missing the point of the thread somewhat

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: