Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 11:08:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Has the bar been raised?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has the bar been raised?  (Read 10139 times)
RitzWalker8
Rocker

I love my Pancreas!!!

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2005, 11:31:04 AM »

I like the SOAD album.  Other thna that I couldn't care less.  Besides with the music these days the bar is 1 inch from the floor.  Lastly, I could give a shit what other fans/bands think of GNR.  So who really cares.

Ritz Reeves III
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005, 11:45:20 AM »

As far as I like it... Grin

most of those bands are not rock bands. it's not their fault that rock music is in a slump - they make their own music and do it, with varying degrees of success, very well.

I thought they were like mostly rock groups in some degree...just not hard rock bands. Shocked

The labeling buisiness sucks.... Undecided
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2005, 12:21:56 PM »

Who says that this new GNR album is going to be a "conventional" rock album?  I think that some of the people on this board are going to be in for a rude awakening when this album comes out.  Long gone are the days of AFD and UYI.  Axl's a reported fan of NIN, SOAD, Fiona Apple, and the Chili Peppers.  LIke it or not these bands may have an impact on the CD sound. 
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2005, 12:35:00 PM »

I'll be surprised if democracy is better then greenDays "American Idiot" album (not the song , the whole album)

IMHO that was easily the best rock album I've heard in the last couple years.

Man I just busted a gut reading that,thanks.

No problem! And when the day comes that you can write a song on par with "jesus of suburbia" or "homecoming" let me know and I'll put you on my list of favorite artists!

I'm assuming you did actually listen to the whole american idiot album right?

The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2005, 12:40:20 PM »

nin's new album's crap.. its so whiney.. makes me think of an emo lil 13 year old girl..

i'm a fan of SOAD.. they're one of the only metal bands around that actually have some melody and thought in their songs.. they're great but doesnt mean jack when compared to gnr..

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2005, 04:09:01 PM »

I didn't care for the new NIN or the Queens of the Stone Age efforts.

American Idiot is some kind of new classic, incredible.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2005, 04:15:47 PM »

UYI is definitely the bar. GNR never did a followup for these albums, and since Axl hasn't done a real album since, he will be held to that standard.

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2005, 04:25:19 PM »

In the last year or so there have been several excellent new albums released.? New ones by U2, Radiohead, NIN, SOAD, Audioslave, and with the Foos and White Stripes on the way.? Have these new albums raised the bar for Axl?? Especially, NIN and SOAD because Axl is a fan of both.? Does this add pressure to succeed??

What do you guys think?

No

Audioslave's album is poor. NIN' s album is mediocre. The new Foo's album is hit and miss. White Stripes' is average. SOAD will sell but it is bubblegum rock

U2's album was good, but it was a 2004 release
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2005, 09:37:50 PM »

NIN' s album is mediocre.

Wow, pretty harsh words for Nail's, I couldn't disagree more.

I would be happy if whatever Axl releases has half the bite "With Teeth" does.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 09:40:54 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2005, 12:26:31 PM »

I bet Mysteron  loves new Oasis "Don't believe the truth" like nes. Tongue

No accounting for tastes. I've already had more listens to "with teeth" than to "Atomic"  I got in Jan.
madagas
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2005, 12:47:21 PM »

I love With Teeth however the lyrics are really pretty bland and repetitive to Reznor's other records. He just beats the subject matter to death. It is, overall though, a nice tight record. That being said, I will be extremely disappointed if Axl can't top that record in quality and from a sales perspective. Same with the U2 record-at least on the quality side Undecided.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2005, 12:55:03 PM »

Wow I'm impressed, Mysteron, you have the ability to hear into the future.  How can you even comment on the new Foo Fighters and White Stripes when they haven't been released yet?  So tell us, oh powerful one, what does Chinese Democracy sound like?....dipshit!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2005, 02:57:34 PM »

No need for such a defiant manner on every bloody occasion. Roll Eyes
Besides I'm pretty sure Mysteron has heard the albums he mentioned.

Madagas I wouldn't worry about that- well at least on the quality bit.
I know I'm getting little bored with the teeth.
It's true that NIN beats the subject to death.  Trent must be an adherent of Eric Satie, I reckon.   
As I said many times I'm capricious and still enjoy listening to most of the new GN'R songs.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 06:29:06 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Hugh Knowho
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2005, 04:29:52 PM »

SYSTEM OF A DOWN is great, hard rock! Although the lyrics make no fuckin sense(at least to me!  ok) but thats the type of shit you can just rock out to!

Audioslave NOT a fan , loved RAGE but Cornell doesnt fit here!

NIN.. will forever be a fan of Reznor despite his harsh words at times, NOT as good as Downward Spiral but then again WHAT IS

NONE of these bands have reached the proverbial "bar" set by AFD and UYI so speaking of it is nonsense!, when AXL decides to re-raise this bar you speak of YOU and everyone else will know it!

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems"
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2005, 06:16:08 PM »

I'll be surprised if democracy is better then greenDays "American Idiot" album (not the song , the whole album)

IMHO that was easily the best rock album I've heard in the last couple years.

i'll be very happy if it's on par with American Idiot - the best rock album since Soundgardens 'Superunknown' IMO ( Elephant by the White Stripes being another notable rock album in recent years)

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Budweiser Froggs
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2005, 07:01:44 PM »

SOAD was great to see live, the music is mediocre.  Radiohead and Green Day are legends.  Truly great bands and good albums everytime.

To me some of the bar is set by Velvet Revolver.  VR have made a solid album (although not perfect) and have been touring nonstop.  Out of all the bands I have seen in my life, VR had to be the best rock band out of them all.  GNR needs to regain the touring aspect because the 2002 tour had to be the most boring event I've ever been at.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2005, 03:30:06 PM »

Budweiser, I agree with you on the 2002 tour. The setlist was very boring. Too much AFD and not enough UYI. To me, the only highlight of the 2002 tour was the small number of new songs that GNR played. I think on the next tour Axl should do something similar to what John Fogerty did in the mid 80's: Only play the new album. Forget about the classics. Fans didn't get pissed at Fogerty for not playing CCR hits, so I think Axl should try doing the same.

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2005, 03:33:55 PM »

Budweiser, I agree with you on the 2002 tour. The setlist was very boring. Too much AFD and not enough UYI. To me, the only highlight of the 2002 tour was the small number of new songs that GNR played. I think on the next tour Axl should do something similar to what John Fogerty did in the mid 80's: Only play the new album. Forget about the classics. Fans didn't get pissed at Fogerty for not playing CCR hits, so I think Axl should try doing the same.

He should try and do what greenDay has done quite a few times recently , they've played the whole american idiot album front to back live .. axl outta play "democracy" in full , front to back. Or will he have that much confidence in every song on the album as greenday does with american idiot?

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2005, 03:40:26 PM »

Wow I'm impressed, Mysteron, you have the ability to hear into the future.? How can you even comment on the new Foo Fighters and White Stripes when they haven't been released yet?? So tell us, oh powerful one, what does Chinese Democracy sound like?....dipshit!

I heard the White Stripes at a listening party a short while ago, and I am currently doing some work with the Foo Fighters. Is that ok with you?  Roll Eyes
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2005, 03:42:13 PM »

I bet Mysteron? loves new Oasis "Don't believe the truth" like nes. Tongue

No accounting for tastes. I've already had more listens to "with teeth" than to "Atomic"? I got in Jan.

Not a fan of Oasis. The NIN album is ok. I just find the songs (that I like) get tiresome after a while.

Everyone is different though  hihi
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: