Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 11:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Has the bar been raised?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has the bar been raised?  (Read 10147 times)
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« on: May 26, 2005, 02:50:16 PM »

In the last year or so there have been several excellent new albums released.  New ones by U2, Radiohead, NIN, SOAD, Audioslave, and with the Foos and White Stripes on the way.  Have these new albums raised the bar for Axl?  Especially, NIN and SOAD because Axl is a fan of both.  Does this add pressure to succeed? 

What do you guys think?
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 03:22:04 PM »

almost all of  those bands suck  Grin

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 03:41:06 PM »

What do you guys think?

Not sure if it raises the bar or not, could be I guess. 

I think any shift in a current musical trend or direction quite possibly could make him do a rethink on whatever material he's working on at that particular time.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 03:43:34 PM »

Someone says the same thing every year.  no

If Axl went back and played with stuff every time he heard something new and cool. it would take like 13 years to get a new album. Roll Eyes

axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 04:15:34 PM »

Yeah, aren't we lucky that hasn't happened....

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 04:50:06 PM »

Yeah we'll strike it lucky Cool

When the band has made the "new and cool" of their own...Never fear!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 05:22:45 PM »

I don't think so, the only people that the bar has been raised for is the fans.. I can't say on the bands because I never liked most (foo fighters, nins, soad) u-2 could release any old piece of shit by now and it would sell good.. U-2 is the only real rock stars left, well in the mainstream that sell millions of albums..
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 05:40:05 PM »

Some of the new album releases this year are so good, that when you hear Axl's 'new material', you know unless he has been keeping something in reserve, he has a bit of a problem. peace

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
smith13
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 06:30:09 PM »

axl is the bar
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 06:58:27 PM »

In the last year or so there have been several excellent new albums released.? New ones by U2, Radiohead, NIN, SOAD, Audioslave, and with the Foos and White Stripes on the way.? Have these new albums raised the bar for Axl?? Especially, NIN and SOAD because Axl is a fan of both.? Does this add pressure to succeed??

What do you guys think?

sorry, but most of those bands represent everything that is WRONG with rock these days...radiohead - gay, nin - crap, soad - gay and crap, audioslave - boring...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 07:17:53 PM »

The bar definitely will be raised this fall as far as shows go, NIN and Queens Of The Stone Age just confirmed a North American arena tour with a 3rd act forthcoming.

That's one a helluva rock show...yes
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 07:24:30 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 07:27:06 PM »

Great albums are released every year, the bar hasn't been raised, Axl's making this album so it's upto his standards and the best in his eyes.  There's always successful bands you have to compete against, always pressure these new albums are nothing special apart from Nine Inch Nails With Teeth but still like i said you get great albums each year...who gives a fuck....what's he gonna do...start re-recoring the album just because he thinks Radiohead have a better album than him...not likely.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 11:20:31 PM »

The hype for CD is soooo HIGH there is going to be no way Axl can p-lease everyone.  It would of been huge in 94 after the UYI, it would of been huge in 99 when OMG came out and it would of been huge in 2002, now the hype just keeps growing and the pressure is on Axl but he will never be able to please everyone. He could have an album on par with the Beatles White Album or Sgt Peppers and it still wont live up to its Hype.  I love what I have heard from bootlegs but no matter what Axl's new album wont live up to the hype and mystery he has created for everyone, espially sense there is so many people who are out there wanting to hate on it.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 11:34:41 PM »

I'll be surprised if democracy is better then greenDays "American Idiot" album (not the song , the whole album)

IMHO that was easily the best rock album I've heard in the last couple years.

Eeebs
I was kissed by Matt Sorum!!
VIP

Riot Act

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 12:06:38 AM »

Axl hasn't lef
axl is the bar

Actually, Axl hasn't left the bar... hence the lack of any concerte release date in sight Smiley  Hehe.  Only kidding.  Only having some fun with all of ya's Smiley
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 06:22:01 AM »

In the last year or so there have been several excellent new albums released.? New ones by U2, Radiohead, NIN, SOAD, Audioslave, and with the Foos and White Stripes on the way.? Have these new albums raised the bar for Axl?? Especially, NIN and SOAD because Axl is a fan of both.? Does this add pressure to succeed??

What do you guys think?

Naaa, those bands have probably lowered the bar. None of those who you mention have released a groundbreaking album this year (or last) - just merely echoes of a glorious past.
U2 - 'How to...' was ok, but noting close to 'Actung baby'
Radiohead - they just can't figure how to get past 'Ok Computer'
NIN - oh man, that industrial sound was so cool and progressive in 1991, now it sounds as out-dated as the Spice girls.
SOAD - Good album, but it seems that they drained their idea-tank on 'Toxicity'
Audioslave - Not as good as Soundgarden, and definitely not as good as RATM
Foos - Can't expect them to beat Nirvana
White stripes - Nice wrapping, empty can.

The competition is not stiff at the moment, his 'bar' is ADF/UYI.

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 10:14:43 AM »

The competition is not stiff at the moment, his 'bar' is ADF/UYI.

I tend to agree with your general premise but for vastly different reasons.

GNR is not thought of in the same scope/realm of bands like Audioslave, Foos, SOAD, White Stripes, NIN etc.

A more accurate barometer would be Aerosmith and Motley, both much more closely associated with GNR than any of the newer acts mentioned.? That being the case, I have no doubt when and if CD gets released it
will be far superior to any new material released from either of the 2 above, at least that's my hope.? It remains to be seen if GNR will have the same kind of recent success Aerosmith or Motley have enjoyed as a live act but I suspect that will take care of itself if the material is good.

As for your quote above, I think you got it half right.? The bar is AFD.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 10:16:15 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 10:31:55 AM »

Other than U2, all the other bands are crap. Since GN'R doesn't sound like U2 anyway, the bar still is AFD.

Fuck 'Em All.
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 10:41:42 AM »

I'll be surprised if democracy is better then greenDays "American Idiot" album (not the song , the whole album)

IMHO that was easily the best rock album I've heard in the last couple years.

Man I just busted a gut reading that,thanks.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 11:05:03 AM »

In the last year or so there have been several excellent new albums released.  New ones by U2, Radiohead, NIN, SOAD, Audioslave, and with the Foos and White Stripes on the way.  Have these new albums raised the bar for Axl?  Especially, NIN and SOAD because Axl is a fan of both.  Does this add pressure to succeed? 

What do you guys think?

sorry, but most of those bands represent everything that is WRONG with rock these days...radiohead - gay, nin - crap, soad - gay and crap, audioslave - boring...

most of those bands are not rock bands. it's not their fault that rock music is in a slump - they make their own music and do it, with varying degrees of success, very well.

As for the bar having risen, i don't think it really makes that much of a difference. The music side of cd appears to be pretty much complete.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: