Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 03:44:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can American Idol Affect GNR?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can American Idol Affect GNR?  (Read 7301 times)
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« on: May 25, 2005, 02:58:30 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen,

I think tonight is a pretty big night and could possibly influence some of your thoughts on the whole, "Is rock dead?" issue.  I'll be the first to admit, the television show "American Idol," is very lame...but...this year, a "rocker" has made it to the final 2 and a winner is announced tonight.  At least 25 to 30 million people will watch the conclusion tonight that will crown the winner.  Bo Bice is the name, and he seems to have a slight edge over his opponent Kerri Underwood a pop/country chick who's pretty cute.  Bice has a pretty good voice and good stage presence.  If Bice wins, he gets parents around the country to buy their kids "acceptable" rock n' roll.  You do the math, once kids get a taste for rock, they'll want the real stuff!  That real stuff is Axl and GNR!  This could be setting up for a beautiful year indeed!!  Does anybody think this is a likely possibility???  Remember, at least 25 to 30 million folks in the United States will be watching, and several million votes were cast.  Anybody agree that this will have a positive effect on GNR?

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 03:02:14 PM »

I don't think this will have an effect on GN'R in any way.

Do you actually think Bois going to get the backing of really rock fans ?

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 03:04:16 PM »

I can't imagine that it's a likely possibility...

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 03:04:52 PM »

American Idol is nothing more than an overhyped talent show. So my answer is no, they will absolutely not affect GnR or any recording artist in any way shape or form ?peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 03:07:30 PM »

uh.....no.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 03:14:24 PM »

Ohhhhh, the delay on CD was that Axl was waiting for a Rocker to win American Idol? confused confused

I had better text message my vote for Bo Bice!!! rofl rofl

Seriously though. No, i don't think it'll have an impact on GnR.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 03:43:48 PM »

My answer to your question is no...but guess what?  To turn Chinese Democracy into a commercial success, which is what I'm guessing marketing execs, record companies, etc., want it to be, you need people to buy it.  I guess what I'm saying is this.  A teen-ager buys or gets bought for them a Clay Aiken or Kelly Clarkson cd.  As a result, there's not a big chance they are going to go out and buy or get bought for them, Chinese Democracy.  Bo Bice wins American Idol, millions will buy his album and tens of thousands will see him perform.  He will have some rock songs with nice hooks played 24/7 on pop/rock radio stations (3 Doors Down, new Aerosmith, new Bon Jovi, Killers-like stuff).  This stuff is like a gateway to GNR.  American Idol fans who'd probably never pick up a rock album will pick it up and want more.  That's where Chinese Democracy comes in.  Remember, it wasn't just "true rock fans" who bought the Illusions, Appetite, and Lies.  November Rain, SCOM, and Patience alone probably hooked the "non-rock fans" in.  I'd bet without those 3 diddies, you'd lose at least 25% of those album sales.  Anyone agree?   

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 03:50:17 PM »

well even if its big im american i can assure you rock's not gonna be popular in the crappy uk for a long time. To many chavs and idiots with no good music choice.

html sucks
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 03:53:39 PM »

? ?My answer to your question is no...but guess what?? To turn Chinese Democracy into a commercial success, which is what I'm guessing marketing execs, record companies, etc., want it to be, you need people to buy it.? I guess what I'm saying is this.? A teen-ager buys or gets bought for them a Clay Aiken or Kelly Clarkson cd.? As a result, there's not a big chance they are going to go out and buy or get bought for them, Chinese Democracy.? Bo Bice wins American Idol, millions will buy his album and tens of thousands will see him perform.? He will have some rock songs with nice hooks played 24/7 on pop/rock radio stations (3 Doors Down, new Aerosmith, new Bon Jovi, Killers-like stuff).? This stuff is like a gateway to GNR.? American Idol fans who'd probably never pick up a rock album will pick it up and want more.? That's where Chinese Democracy comes in.? Remember, it wasn't just "true rock fans" who bought the Illusions, Appetite, and Lies.? November Rain, SCOM, and Patience alone probably hooked the "non-rock fans" in.? I'd bet without those 3 diddies, you'd lose at least 25% of those album sales.? Anyone agree?? ?

I see where you are coming from, but, I don't think that GnR plans to rely on anyone "helping" them get record sales.
If the songs are catchy then people will want to hear them, same as it always works. Just because I like GnR doesn't make me want to hear Warrant or whatever, or Just because you may think Bo is a good singer doesn't necessarily mean you think Dave Grohl is, know what I'm gettin' at?

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 03:56:38 PM »

well even if its big im american i can assure you rock's not gonna be popular in the crappy uk for a long time. To many chavs and idiots with no good music choice.

I don't mean to offend you, too much, but you're a fuckin' idiot.

What does being American have to do with popular music in the UK? And what does UK music popularity have to do with American Idol?

W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 04:04:55 PM »

some of u people think waaaaay too much. Roll Eyes this is one of the more ignorant, desperate threads i've seen here in awhile.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 04:19:41 PM »

I see where you are coming from, but, I don't think that GnR plans to rely on anyone "helping" them get record sales.
If the songs are catchy then people will want to hear them, same as it always works. Just because I like GnR doesn't make me want to hear Warrant or whatever, or Just because you may think Bo is a good singer doesn't necessarily mean you think Dave Grohl is, know what I'm gettin' at?

? Neemo, good points, but I think you'd be surprised at how far these marketers will go to sell product. ?It's similar to the tobacco companies selling candy-flavored cigarettes, which is what I've heard they're planning on doing. ?Axl is a smart man and realized Nov. Rain, SCOM, and Patience open you up to 50% more of the populace. (it gets the female fannies into the seats, and some 40-somethings who have mellowed out a bit) ?I bet even the performers get a laugh out of it...wasn't Buy Product a possible title for the Illusions? ?Funny stuff. ?
 ?
 ? Seriously though, we all know Grohl is limited when it comes to vocals like alot of the more recent rock bands. (even though I think he's got some good music) ?What's intriguing about this Bice character is that he has a "look" that harkens back to the glory days of rock with the long hair, sunglasses, and has a good singing voice. ?He is energetic on stage (not grunge energy which is growl, sneer, and stare at the guitar) ?I want this to go on record today, if CD is released this year, there will be at least 1 article written talking about a "comeback in rock" that mentions Bo Bice and Axl Rose in the same article. ?Call me crazy...and to the other Stern fans out there, I'm no Bo-mo. ?Wink ?Anyone still think I'm nuts? ? ?Cheesy

PS  I just saw W Botaxl's nice response.  This is an "ignorant and desperate" thread?  In what way good sir?   

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 04:30:19 PM »

W. Botaxl Rose says, "Axl's nothing but a joke, a bad joke." 

-May 11, 2005

My post was ignorant?   Roll Eyes

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 04:33:47 PM »

What's intriguing about this Bice character is that he has a "look" that harkens back to the glory days of rock with the long hair, sunglasses, and has a good singing voice. ?He is energetic on stage (not grunge energy which is growl, sneer, and stare at the guitar) ?I want this to go on record today, if CD is released this year, there will be at least 1 article written talking about a "comeback in rock" that mentions Bo Bice and Axl Rose in the same article. ?Call me crazy...and to the other Stern fans out there, I'm no Bo-mo. ?Wink ?Anyone still think I'm nuts? ? ?Cheesy

He reminds me of Shannon Hoon (the look I mean) or Mike McCready (Temple of the Dog era)

But I do think you are nuts but it's ok if said article emerges I'll be first to commend you. If anything Bo will try to ride Axl's coat-tails not the other way around. ok
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 04:45:13 PM by Neemo » Logged

Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 04:40:48 PM »

I can't imagine that it's a likely possibility...

Nah I dont think so

It would be nice to have a rocker win

EEEERRRR Little boy
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 04:44:46 PM »

Neemo:  "But I do think you are nuts but it's ok if said article emerges I'll be first to commend you. If anything Bo will try to ride Axl's coat-tails not the other way around.

Neemo, I didn't mean to imply he'd be riding Bo's coat-tails.  Not at all.  Axl's gonna do whatever the hell he wants, which is a good thing!  I'm just saying Bo Bice winning will "Bo"de well for GNR success if CD is dropped this year.  That's all. Smiley

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 08:12:14 PM »

Of course it will - this is the signal Axl's been waiting for, Chinese Democracy starts now!

Roll Eyes

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2005, 09:20:50 PM »

Well.. can you tell me... who won A merican Idol?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2005, 10:49:22 PM »

Oh no, the rocker lost!  GNR's screwed!   hihi
On a positive rock note, System of a Down debuted at #1 selling 453,000 copies this week.  This news along with the success of the very weak Greatest Hits, tells me Chinese Democracy will do very well.  My gut tells me we are now waiting on legal crap, contracts, Bucket, etc.

Jarmo & Co., feel free to lock this one up.   Sad

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2005, 10:58:20 PM »

BO BICE GOT FOCKED.  HE WAS OUR LOAN HOPE FOR A ROCKER TO WIN.  I am now ready for him and Slash to do a song.  He has a great voice with some balls.  Could have been good in VR.  Carrie sounds like every other country music singer.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: