Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:24:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228552 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Do you think VR will evolve?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you think VR will evolve?  (Read 10557 times)
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« on: May 14, 2005, 05:26:15 AM »

Will the next album sound different from Contraband or will it be another rock n roll album with no significant departure from Contraband?

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 05:53:37 AM »

If you mean by evolve head in a illusion's fashion like keyboards and harmonicas and things of that nature I would say NO, but maybe scott weiland has his vision of something different.. I personally hope it stays just a good rock n roll album with maybe some longer solos..
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 06:19:40 AM »

If you mean by evolve head in a illusion's fashion like keyboards and harmonicas and things of that nature I would say NO, but maybe scott weiland has his vision of something different.. I personally hope it stays just a good rock n roll album with maybe some longer solos..

nah I don't mean evolve like the illusions, but something else, the thing that bothers me is that they praise rock n roll so much that it reminds of AC/DC, I just don't want contraband part 2 ... and 3... and 4.... Cause that's what AC/DC did in the long run.

Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 08:10:19 AM »

well for one it will sound different because now they know each others stengths so they will showcase it. they are a band now. They wrote Contraband without really knowing each other. Think about a band that is just forming....it takes time to develop chemistry.

And VR will never be another AC/DC. I mean Contraband is a raw in your face RnR record but look at the diversity of the songs. Illegal I, superhuman, YGNR, loving the aliens, do it for the kids, spectacle, etc etc They are such good musicians that they always write something that sounds fresh because they don't try to sound a particular way.  And Scott has proven with STP that he is a master of experimentalization since he evolved with each STP record. Like Appetite and Core you want your first impact album to be a Rocker like Contraband.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 05:45:36 PM by Top-Hatted One » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 08:30:58 AM »

I wonder what the lyrics will be about....

He hasn't been arrested, kicked out of the house or had drug problems since Contraband was released.

Maybe more songs about Paris Hilton? Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 08:54:32 AM »

He hasn't been arrested, kicked out of the house or had drug problems since Contraband was released.

/jarmo

Angry

I don't like Scott on contraband much either, but STP and 12 bar blues is great and he wrote great stuff that had nothing to do with being arrested, kicked out of the house or drugs.

Coolness is staring at the sun
Coolness is driving with my son
Time and time again Im not the man
Time and time again Im not the one
Now go to sleep you little child of mine
I wish I had the beauty you hold inside
Now go to sleep you little boy of mine
You make the world a better place to find
Ah...

Angry

jarmo= cacapoopoohead  Tongue

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 09:56:12 AM »

nah I don't mean evolve like the illusions, but something else, the thing that bothers me is that they praise rock n roll so much that it reminds of AC/DC, I just don't want contraband part 2 ... and 3... and 4.... Cause that's what AC/DC did in the long run.
I love ac/dc and wouild say they have a huge amount of hits.. If they stayed like that I would be happy

When I look at guns I would have loved if they stayed afd oriented and kept the stage just them..  One or two epics is a nice thing though.. I just like how metallica did epics with great rockers..
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 10:46:20 AM »

I don't like Scott on contraband much either, but STP and 12 bar blues is great and he wrote great stuff that had nothing to do with being arrested, kicked out of the house or drugs.

It's called sarcasm.  Tongue

But if they're gonna keep being "dangerous", they need dangerous subjects......  Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 12:48:03 PM »

Well they got alot of past things and experiences to sing about. He could sing about his year without drugs, maybe the temptations he had to get by to avoid drugs again.

The media. Age?

I hope they stick to what they are, maybe fasterm heavier, better solos but i dont want all illusions stuff or purple stuff.

html sucks
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 05:47:50 PM »

/jarmo

Angry

Ah...

Angry

jarmo= cacapoopoohead  Tongue

"Son" great song Scott wrote solo!
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 10:54:30 PM »

Will the next album sound different from Contraband or will it be another rock n roll album with no significant departure from Contraband?

Let's put the question in context. Cock roaches evolve. Birds evolve. Reptiles evolve. Mammals evolve. So yes, I think  it  is  safe to say that VR will evolve.

The question is: evolve to what? 'Back to the future' or into the  'great  wide open'?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »

Why is AC/DC always referred to in a negative way?  AC/DC is one of Slash's biggest inspirations and they are one of the greatest rock n roll bands ever.  Anyway, I don't know what to expect, maybe songs like STP's "Down" would be cool.  How about an album where everyone can showcase their talents.  My god, slash held back so much on the album when you see them live he plays so much more.  Its nuts.  Can we get just one or two blues based rock tracks?  Is that possible?
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2005, 08:14:08 PM »

Why is AC/DC always referred to in a negative way?  AC/DC is one of Slash's biggest inspirations and they are one of the greatest rock n roll bands ever.  Anyway, I don't know what to expect, maybe songs like STP's "Down" would be cool.  How about an album where everyone can showcase their talents.  My god, slash held back so much on the album when you see them live he plays so much more.  Its nuts.  Can we get just one or two blues based rock tracks?  Is that possible?

what do you mean blues based? GNR were never a blues band. they had elements of the blues in their songs but so does VR becuase Slash is a blued based guitarist. Is You could be mine, Jungle & Nightrain more bluesy than Sucker Train, set me free, spectacle, big machine, dirty lil thing? None of those songs are the Blues but they are Blues based because Slash is a blues based guitarist.

the only arguably straight up blues song Slash wrote was "Ain't life grand" the song
hyperionmax2003
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2005, 10:12:09 PM »

I don't mean to diss "Lies" but I hope  VR doesnt focus their next album on an all acoustic or "live" album. I hope they stick with what they are doing.  I think a significant change would be a mistake, not with die-hard fans(like us), but with the people that just bought contraband for the radio hits.  i just don't think it can be pulled off today.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2005, 10:44:49 PM »

I don't mean to diss "Lies" but I hope  VR doesnt focus their next album on an all acoustic or "live" album. I hope they stick with what they are doing.  I think a significant change would be a mistake, not with die-hard fans(like us), but with the people that just bought contraband for the radio hits.  i just don't think it can be pulled off today.

I think the people who bought it just because of the "hits" are in the minority so I think they would pull it off but why would they want to release anything more than a soundtrack song to tie us over when they can get started on their 2nd album and have it out in less than 6months?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2005, 11:13:50 PM »

Top Hatted One, Guns n Roses, AeroSmith, AC/DC are are Blues Based bands.  So are Allman Bros, Led Zepplin, and Cream.  I love what they are doing, I guess I just wanted some more of those types of songs.  I guess GNR style.  I loved slash on "The Thirll is Gone" when he had slash's blues ball.  I think Spectacle is punk song by the way.  Welcome to the Jungle has some major blues licks in it.  Classic ones.  I like Ain't Life Grand.  I only request one, or two songs like that.  I guess I should have been more clear and stated that I would like to see more blues riffs and licks incorporated into their new hard rock.  Either way, you see what I mean.  But I do consider GNR to be a lot more "Bluesy" then VR mainly because they had Izzy as well.  If you listen to Jungle slowed up a bit with no vocals, it sounds like the blues to me.  In some Slash stuff, like Paradise City, I hear country, same with Beggars and hangers on.  Him and Zakk Wylde both have a little country/Southern rock in them.   Oh well, they are very talented musicians and will not dissapoint.  That Bluesy song the white striped did was bad ass, i think it was ball and a biscuit or something.  I wouldn't mind something like that just so slash and go off.
Railantics
Headliner

[Nothing to say] STUN! [/Nothing to say]

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 04:50:16 PM »

Well, I dont think they can evolve/change to much, there will always be that rock n' roll feel to them, no mater what happens, yet, scott has said he doesnt mind changes...so, lets see...who knows? Im just killin my self waitin for the album confused

Let the music do the talking.
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 05:18:33 PM »

You can tell VR are never gonna something like use your illusions it just makes me wonder

EEEERRRR Little boy
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2005, 05:33:39 PM »

/jarmo

That's exactly what I said in some other thread about Weiland.  ok

I have to say, that I will be more interested on this second album than I was on the first one. First albums are easier to write-record.

Things that I look forward to:

1.- As mentioned earlier, Scott's lyrics. He's a good lyrcist, at least he was while in STP. In Contraband, he did not really reach my expectations. I'm very curious to see what will he write about.

2.- Sound. Will there be more acoustic tunes, more solos, stronger bass presence...

3.- Theme. The first album had this dangerous rock and roll theme...what will be the theme ( if any) on this one?

4.- Collaborations? I'm just guessing here, but I believe we are gonna have an special guest. Maybe Stradlin' or even Adler...who knows.

5.- Epics? it would be a surprise if VR recorded a 8 minute epic with orchestation...no their style, but that would be considered as evolving.

Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2005, 07:59:24 PM »

Loving the Alien had orchestration and modern technology as did Illegal and Superhunan. Again, its not so much that they will evolve drastically it more that they have better chemistry and know each others strenghts better now and already made their dangerous RnR statement with CB. The beauty of it is that they will naturally evolve. They're not going to have to fabricate an orchestra to do it.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: