Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 10:01:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl on Contraband
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl on Contraband  (Read 6479 times)
nick
« on: May 06, 2005, 12:37:57 PM »

Now we know that Axl's never commented on Contraband so we don't know what he thinks of it.  However, what does everyone think his thoughts are on the album, or even VR for that matter?

Its been said in many articles that Contraband is the CD GNR should have released after UYI.
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 12:41:11 PM »

Now we know that Axl's never commented on Contraband so we don't know what he thinks of it.? However, what does everyone think his thoughts are on the album, or even VR for that matter?

Its been said in many articles that Contraband is the CD GNR should have released after UYI.

that isn't true.duff and Slash maybe said that,but we know who is the bos of guns n roses

I have never seen so many tree
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 12:51:28 PM »

If Axl would have allowed Slash to use the material for the UYI follow-up that he wanted, instead of deciding that he wanted to make 'OK Computer' by Radiohead........ then FTP and Slither would have been released by GnR in 1994-95. I think that if that album was released, then Slash and Duff would have been more receptive to making an experimental album after (we probably would have had CD by 1999). I think that Slash and Duff gave up more ground then they wanted to in the making of the UYI albums, so they weren't going to budge another inch on the follow up. Unfortunately Axl wanted them to move further and further from their roots.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 01:01:13 PM »

I think it would be awesome to hear Axl singing Sucker Train Blues, Fall to Pieces, You got no right, and Dirty little thing.
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 01:08:44 PM »

I think it would be awesome to hear Axl singing Sucker Train Blues, Fall to Pieces, You got no right, and Dirty little thing.

agree with you,that would be awsome.
But it would be great to see how slash play on madagascar and the blues

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 01:29:12 PM »

I think it's good Axl hasn't commented on Contraband because he would look ingnorant if he did.........
How can you comment on VR's CD when you can't make any statements about yours......... and what could he say?? VR has an album, an album that sells..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 01:45:14 PM »

Axl said he wanted to produce it - so Slash heard from their mutual acquaintance.

Donno if he really said that but Slash did say this on radio.
Someone posted it here.

In any case he may have thought that it was not bad but could have been better.

If Axl would have allowed Slash to use the material for the UYI follow-up that he wanted, instead of deciding that he wanted to make 'OK Computer' by Radiohead........

I haven't ever heard he wanted to produce 'OK Computer' by Radiohead too.

I think their roots were different to each other from the start.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 01:48:41 PM »

axl commented about slash`s snakepit in an interview from 99 or 2000 i think. he said something like " i like it, but i can`t see something like be the ball under the gnr name" and i think he`s totally right with what he said.

i don`t know what he thinks about contraband, but i don`t think he likes it that much....

i don`t like contraband that much and i think its not gnr`s style , so i think that is totally bullshit. the album that gnr should have released after UYI is chinese democracy.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 01:52:03 PM »

If Axl would have allowed Slash to use the material for the UYI follow-up that he wanted, instead of deciding that he wanted to make 'OK Computer' by Radiohead........ then FTP and Slither would have been released by GnR in 1994-95. I think that if that album was released, then Slash and Duff would have been more receptive to making an experimental album after (we probably would have had CD by 1999). I think that Slash and Duff gave up more ground then they wanted to in the making of the UYI albums, so they weren't going to budge another inch on the follow up. Unfortunately Axl wanted them to move further and further from their roots.

Good points.  ok

axl commented about slash`s snakepit in an interview from 99 or 2000 i think. he said something like " i like it, but i can`t see something like be the ball under the gnr name" and i think he`s totally right with what he said.

What about Silkworms?  Tongue

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
nick
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 02:05:27 PM »

its been said by who? have slash and/or duff said something like this ever??
It wasn't said by Slash, Duff or any other member of VR.? But I've seen lots of articles about Contraband that mention this.
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 02:08:14 PM »

Now we know that Axl's never commented on Contraband so we don't know what he thinks of it.? However, what does everyone think his thoughts are on the album, or even VR for that matter?

that isn't true.duff and Slash maybe said that,but we know who is the bos of guns n roses>1992 when they were the biggest band in the world,duff and slash din't talk bad thing about estranged and november rain.After that when stupid alt rock went to the top,they started to talked a shit about Axl and his way in music.

Buit now we have a different situation,people again starts to listen a good real music,guns n roses music

gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 02:09:19 PM »

agree with you,that would be awsome.
But it would be great to see how slash play on madagascar and the blues.Can you imagine slash emotion in madagascar and the blues!!!Can you imagine axl ands alsh running on the stage

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 03:29:38 PM »

I am not gonna even try to read Axl`s mind on this.

But I could see Axl respecting VR`s music, but having the attitude of been there & done that as far as a sraight ahead rock record is concerned.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 03:37:54 PM »

However, what does everyone think his thoughts are on the album, or even VR for that matter?

What do i think Axl's thoughts are?

Well, in keeping with the absurd nature of this thread i'm gonna say, i think axl loves VR and contraband and that the reason we've been kept waiting for CD is that he's scrapped all the other CD songs and is gonna concentrate on making a purely instrumental version of Contraband. Starting with loving the alien played on two saxophones and an Oboe.

What do i think axl's thoughts are?? Pfff.....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 03:40:26 PM by 2NaFish » Logged
estranged.1098
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 03:45:04 PM »

'It's Five O'Clock Somewhere' was supposed to be a GNR album, not Contraband.
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 04:09:40 PM »

I reckon Axl thinks Contrabands shithouse. But nah i couldnt see GN'R perfoming anything of Contraband...doesn't seem right

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 05:05:58 PM »

I wish i had the article now, but there was a short mention somwere that Axl was surprised by how much he liked Contraband, and it inspired him to re-record vocals for CD. Im not sure if that was the exact wording but it said Axl was surprised by it. On the old VR message board someone said that Axl likes Set Me Free. It was mentioned a couple times that Axl liked that particular song. This was before Contraband was released.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 05:11:48 PM »

I wish i had the article now, but there was a short mention somwere that Axl was surprised by how much he liked Contraband, and it inspired him to re-record vocals for CD. Im not sure if that was the exact wording but it said Axl was surprised by it. On the old VR message board someone said that Axl likes Set Me Free. It was mentioned a couple times that Axl liked that particular song. This was before Contraband was released.

No offense, but that sounds like first-rate bull-shit.  Axl isn't stupid enough to say something like that...and...I guess I have to thank god Contraband isn't what I've been waiting over 10 years for.  Smiley    The Blues, Madagascar, IRS, Riyadh and CD are what I've been waiting over 10 years for...(notice I didn't include Silkworms)  Smiley  Goddamn, I can't wait to hear these studio versions.   love   

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 05:22:39 PM »

Axl never said such a thing (in public at least). As stated previously, the only comment he supposedly made was that he would have liked to produce it.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2005, 05:48:48 PM »

On the old VR message board someone said that Axl likes Set Me Free. It was mentioned a couple times that Axl liked that particular song. This was before Contraband was released.
Then got bored after a week.....still before Contraband was released. Tongue

Contraband is the CD GNR should have released after UYI.

Without Mr weiland's contribution Contraband wouldn't be Contraband.  ok
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: