Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:04:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What if GN'R stuck with Finck & Fortus and brought back Tobias?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if GN'R stuck with Finck & Fortus and brought back Tobias?  (Read 6190 times)
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« on: May 05, 2005, 08:34:23 PM »

Axl decided not to even get a new lead guitarist and stuck with Fortus and Finck and brought Paul Huge back to play rythym(damn I can never spell this word right) guitar. I just realized that Fortus does the end solo on The Blues and I think that both him and Finck are perfectly capable of handling the leads by themselves.

Whatcha think?

Edit: Make sure you write subjects that describe the content of the thread. That's what the subject is actually for... /jarmo
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 08:39:13 PM by jarmo » Logged
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 08:38:28 PM »

At this point, I dont think it really matters anymore. Everyone just wants CD. Axl could hire Pee Wee Herman and I would be happy with the decision. As long as it takes us a step closer to CD.

StoneTempleRoses
Rocker

Axl Was Here

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 08:39:04 PM »

I dont think Robin could do the really fast stuff mabey, like the end of November Rain and Paradise City, if they did it would sound more like Slash I think becouse bucket did it super fast, It would be cool with just Finck n Fortus though  ok

StoneTempleRoses

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 09:07:08 PM »

It really does come down to what style of guitar Bucket recorded and if in fact his parts are left on CD.

I think Fortus and Finck could handle most of the guitar duties quite nicely although I think Finck would struggle with some leads - I could be wrong there though. Fortus is an unknown quantity in some regards, I am yet to hear much of his lead playing but I am sure he is a competent player.

As for Paul Huge? I think it best he remains part of GN'Rs history (an unsavoury part at that).

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 09:09:12 PM »

I dont think Robin could do the really fast stuff mabey, like the end of November Rain and Paradise City, if they did it would sound more like Slash I think becouse bucket did it super fast, It would be cool with just Finck n Fortus though  ok

StoneTempleRoses

Bucket's NR solo more resembled the Slash original than either Finck or Fortus; in fact, whoever had the second solo had some serious fingering problems, absolutely horrible. Plus who could forget Bucket's incredible Nightrain outro.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 10:56:23 PM »

It really does come down to what style of guitar Bucket recorded and if in fact his parts are left on CD.

I think Fortus and Finck could handle most of the guitar duties quite nicely although I think Finck would struggle with some leads - I could be wrong there though. Fortus is an unknown quantity in some regards, I am yet to hear much of his lead playing but I am sure he is a competent player.

As for Paul Huge? I think it best he remains part of GN'Rs history (an unsavoury part at that).

I entirely agree. Tommy has said they are not searching for a replacement so that to me must mean Axl is as well as the rest of the band are in agreeance to move ahead using just Finck and Fortus, which of course will mean more rehearsals down the road. Paul Huge would probably be the last person Id like to see back with GnR if a 3rd guitarist were sought out, he never amazed me as a rhythm guitarist by any stretch of the imagination and from the old interviews partaining to Slash and Matt, he comes across as sounding like an ass.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 11:32:12 PM »

Tobias couldnt handle it, he's pretty laim too!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 11:55:48 PM »

Paul gets a bad rap, all you guys that bash him do know he played guitar on SFTD right? And the funny thing is none of  you even noticed nor bashed his guitar playing on that song.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 03:09:18 AM »

Paul gets a bad rap, all you guys that bash him do know he played guitar on SFTD right? And the funny thing is none of? you even noticed nor bashed his guitar playing on that song.

I did.  Wink

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 06:04:48 AM »

Remember Dave, most of the people that bash Paul have only seen him on a bad recording at Rio. I saw Paul at the Joint both shows. I'm guessing you have seen him too. I thought he was good, not great, but I don't think a rthym (I can't spell it either) rofl needs to be great. I think the important thing is Axl and the others seemed really comfortable with him up on that stage. Not that I think he is coming back. I would like that, but it sounded pretty clear that he wasn't interested in the gig, Maybe things have changed by now.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 08:24:17 AM »

No need a 3rd guitarist.
The duet Finck-Fortus is perfect. 50-50 of the guitar playing each other. There is a great chemistry between these 2 guys. If I were Axl that's what I would do.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 08:40:58 AM »

All these years & GnR is stuck with a guitar tandem of dick fortus & finck. No wonder this is taking soooooooooo long.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 11:15:07 AM »

but I don't think a rthym (I can't spell it either) needs to be grea

Technically, maybe not great. But they better have a great feel and know just how to dance with the lead guitarist or its going to sound like shit. Izzy Stradlin' or Keith Richards are certainly not on a technical level of Buckethead or Steve Vai, but their feel for rhythm is amazing and it gives the music the push and pull it needs to sound alive. Paul Huge never stood out as much more than a really mediocre guitarist, no real feel for what makes a great rhythm player that I could hear. Anyone can be a rhythm guitarist, but not everyone can be a great rhythm guitarist.
Chandler
Headliner

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 11:25:28 AM »

Pauls solo at Rio on Rocket Queen was god awful!

It don't really matter...
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 04:21:25 AM »

I think Axl is probably willing to listen to any and every guitar player's demo tape that he can get hold of right now. If BH's parts stay on the album there's going to be a massive drop in the musical "wow" factor when/if they play live - Maybe I'm a coward, but I'd be looking to fill that BH sized gap with something equally impressive, and neither Finck nor Fortus (and especially not, with all due respect, Paul Tobias) are up to that task. 
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 04:33:33 AM »

Actually, Axl should bring Zakk Wylde onboard for the first tour. Not because he's a good replacement for BH, simply for the entertainment value when Axl and Zakk's personalities clash after three months on tour.
usurper
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 05:10:31 AM »

Pauls solo at Rio on Rocket Queen was god awful!

I don't think so, I think Robin can do much worse!
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 05:51:32 AM »

I don't think so, I think Robin can do much worse!

thats a filthy lie n' you know it !!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
conny
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 06:24:08 AM »

Actually, Axl should bring Zakk Wylde onboard for the first tour. Not because he's a good replacement for BH, simply for the entertainment value when Axl and Zakk's personalities clash after three months on tour.

Those personalities gonna clash after three SONGS already!  hihi
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 07:25:03 AM »

Zak is a great guy! But you can't put him on stage with new gnr. And the guy is to busy anyway!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: