Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:23:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses and alternative rock: connections
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses and alternative rock: connections  (Read 4562 times)
RichardNixon
« on: May 02, 2005, 10:46:41 AM »

This is a two part question:

(1) Do you think the hatred of GN'R has lessened among the hipsters and the alt. rock crowd?

(2) Can you think of connections between GN'R and the alt. rock world?

Here's what I can come up with:

1. NIN opened for GN'R.
2. Smashing Pumpkins opened for GN'R.
3. Nu-GN'R has Finck, of NIN.
4. Courtney Love sang "It's so Easy" with Duff. Said she was sorry Kurt badmouthed the band.
5. Duff sat next to Cobain on a plane.
6. Jane's Addiction thanks Duff, Slash on their "Strays" CD.
7. Dave Navaro plays on "Oh My God."
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 11:12:08 AM »

This is a two part question:

(1) Do you think the hatred of GN'R has lessened among the hipsters and the alt. rock crowd?

Here's what I can come up with:

1. NIN opened for GN'R.
2. Smashing Pumpkins opened for GN'R.
3. Nu-GN'R has Finck, of NIN.
4. Courtney Love sang "It's so Easy" with Duff. Said she was sorry Kurt badmouthed the band.
5. Duff sat next to Cobain on a plane.
6. Jane's Addiction thanks Duff, Slash on their "Strays" CD.
7. Dave Navaro plays on "Oh My God."

A Perfect Circle Thanks Axl Rose on the; Mer De Noms Album
Chris Pitman makes alternativ music! on his and (Tool drummer) Danny Carey project Zaum.
I will also say that New GNR sounds like alternativ Music! Buckethead.. ? Well, kinda alternativ!

I think when Axl Bashed Alternative music back in the days, he realy meant Nirvana! And the "Grunsh..?"( Dont know how to wright it)

But, hell yeah! There is alot of Alternative connections with GNR today.. But i think back in the days it was important for GNR to hold on the Stright ahead Rock N Roll image!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 11:24:43 AM »

I think the alt rock crowd sees GNR a little differently than they did in the early 90`s.

Back then, GNR was the biggest band around, and the alt bands stood for almost shunning success. Make no sense to me. Cobain did not want to be a rock star, but did things to ensure his legacy. Kinda hypocritical, ya think?

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 11:44:40 AM »

Don't forget Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson and Brain.

NIN, Replacements and Primus, not exactly mainstream hard rock.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 11:50:51 AM »

Don't forget Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson and Brain.

NIN, Replacements and Primus, not exactly mainstream hard rock.

/jarmo

True.
So after what i have heard from the New GNR songs.. i would call it Alternative Metal/Rock or somthing like that...
But there is alot more alternative music today, then there was 10 years ago. I would also say that the Illusion albums have som alternative sounds at times.

Nytunz.blogspot.com

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 12:27:17 PM »

well,Axl and gnr have never told that they hate alt rock and they hate someone,but alt rocks bands(especially members of Nirvana) talked many many shit about gnr!!!

After that hard core gnr fans hated Nirvana.

That's the story,something like sex pistols and Led Zepellin

I have never seen so many tree
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 12:30:36 PM »

I would also say that the Illusion albums have som alternative sounds at times.

now that was hillarious!!

where like?Huh

heard My World?
 heard Coma?
 heard Estranges?

Nytunz.blogspot.com

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »

The negative perception remains (stateside) within the industry and is based on the scene they emerged from, not the "sound" of their material. ?The LA scene of the late 80's and early 90's represents everything the alterna/college rock movement of that same time period railed against.

It's a guiit by association thing.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 12:44:09 PM »

Are you sure that such hatred still exists?

I've noticed there's heaps of unreasonable hatred toward Axl/present GNR among the heavy metal n the reactionary GN'R fans (some twisted ones).

But I haven't eva heard any fans of the hipsters or the alt. rock hating GNR in particular.
Many of them are just not into any classic/old school rock bands in general.

Perhaps I am rather an alternative rock fan myself. Even Jimmy Page says Zep was alternative of that era. Basically I don't give a fuck about whatever the genre is. Hell a few few days ago I was suddenly into hot chocolate.

well,Axl and gnr have never told that they hate alt rock and they hate someone
That's the story,something like sex pistols and Led Zepellin

Yeah, but more precisely isn't it sex pistols and the Rolling Stones?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 12:45:47 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 12:44:34 PM »

where in estranged can u define that it has alternative influences? For coma as well.

are u getting mixed up between alternative and industrial sound as for the song my world?

gnr havent said ever that they dont like doom metal , so should i assume that they have doom metal elements?

Well, Dont wanna be rude to you, sorry if i was!
But, i thik that Some songs on the illusion albums has Elements og Alternative.. Whats the defination on alternative? I guess that means that the music has alot og different elements in it, and not only Rock N Roll Rythm, but more different rythms in the same song! Illusions ?has that! Appetite is a more "stright ahead Rock album". But i think there is alot more of trixzing an mixzing! with dirffernet styles on the Illusion albums.. With other untradisionel intstruments and things like that! Sorry if you mean that my defination og Alt is wrong!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 12:50:09 PM »

axl had a great rant about Alternative!!1
what is the alternative rock?
Alternative from what?from guns n roses?

I have never seen so many tree
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 01:14:39 PM »

But, i thik that Some songs on the illusion albums has Elements og Alternative.. Whats the defination on alternative? I guess that means that the music has alot og different elements in it, and not only Rock N Roll Rythm, but more different rythms in the same song! Illusions  has that! Appetite is a more "stright ahead Rock album". But i think there is alot more of trixzing an mixzing! with dirffernet styles on the Illusion albums.. With other untradisionel intstruments and things like that! Sorry if you mean that my defination og Alt is wrong!

I think you're right.
the primary meaning of the alternative in music is essentially something unconventional or unorthodox.

The synonyms of Alternative is 1) option (n) 2) Substitute 3) unusual /marginal/different
I'd take the definition 3).

FYI, illusion is a synonym of nirvana.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 01:23:25 PM »

- Axl became friend of Weezer (at least, the band was called indie some time ago) guys at Summer Sonic in 2002.
- Moby was one of the producers of the new album.
- Buckethead - need to say more about him?
-  Axl has been into Radiohead and another alternative rock bands...

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 01:40:18 PM »

No we are talking about GN'R now. Read the topic.

And I think

- GN'R is very alternative (read "unconventional" in the definition #3) now

- most of the current GN'R members like the alternative music (I hear AXL was a big fan of Nirvana's works)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 01:57:26 PM »

Didn't an ex-pearljam Drummer audition for the GnR opening before Josh Freese?

also

Faith No-More, Soundgarden and maybe Chili Peppers opened for them

Scott Weiland (STP) and Dave Kushner (sp?) (Suicidal Tendencies) are in VR  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 02:01:09 PM by Neemo » Logged

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 02:08:09 PM »

No we are talking about GN'R now. Read the topic.

And I think

- GN'R is very alternative (read "unconventional" in the definition #3) now

- most of the current GN'R members like the alternative music (I hear AXL was a big fan of Nirvana's works)

I agree with you ppbebe
There is no doubt in my ears, that the new GNR have some Alternative influence! But it dosent make teh music itself to put under the genere Alternativ!
It sounds to like GNR are basicaly inspired by bouth Metal, Rock! But also abit Industrial and Alternativ!

To 3strang3d!
I never said GNR made Alternativ Rock/Alternative Metal as theyr main Genere! And if we got back to 91` I wouldent say GNR had any elements of Alternative. But when we see it from the view from 2005, and the word "Alternative" has developed and have a bit different meaning then in 91`, i would
like to say that Illusion albums have some songes with some Elements that we concider as Alternative in 2005! Its not only Pearl Jam And Nirvana, And Alice In Chains who are concidered as Alternative today! Back in the days they were because they came and made something new! But its along time ago! Today its much more difficult to put a band under a plot! But when i see bands which have the "Alternative" image today! Mailyn, Tool, NIN, APC, and so on! They dont sound as Pearl Jam AT ALL!
 Well anyway! I think from todays view on the Illusion albums, i would like to say that songs like My World, Coma, Estranged, Bad Apples, Breakdown and Locomotive have some Alternative Elements... ?yes

Nytunz.blogspot.com

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 02:59:58 PM »

We are talking about illusion in 1991!!!! when did axl have done something with radiohead?
axl has been into radiohead?Huh Huh havent heard anything about this!  Smiley
I think he was at some Radiohead concert in late '90s.

Oh, also, Axl said to Kurt Loder in 99 how he liked the lastest (released) Fiona Apple's album.

Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 03:39:15 PM »

The derision has definitely lessened with time.  Not many kids, when they are first getting into music start off with the alternative scene.  Many bands today grew up listening to GnR or watching them on MTV, at least initially.

Also, I think that the vitriol leveled against the excesses of that scene has totally waned.  They railed against rock stars and when they disappeared, people rather missed them.  The anti-rock star didn't seem like such a good idea after all.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 03:56:06 PM »

who is fiona? sister of mister google? no shit man , i am not even bothered to google it....
That's your problem, but you're really missing a great artist.

And I'm not saying GNR music is alternative. But it can have some influence... And it can be really good, like when Axl added the piano.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2005, 04:34:21 PM »

well u may consider em as u wish, its ur opinion after all. all i tried to point out is that u cannot just say what u believe and wanted to be believed or respected, ur view i mean , not u as a user, if u cannot justify ur point.

1)Yes. we should be able to say our opinions as far as they're not against the board rules, such as "try to stick to the topic".

2)I guess the opinion of the band is somewhat similar to Nytunz n co incl me.
On the whole GN'R is a non-standardised band that doesn't fall into a ready-made genre other than rock.
Again we take the definition#3. We are not the tools of the media/the industry.

3) It's obvious Voodoo was replying to the question NO2 of the first post.
Also illusion is brought up as the relevant reference to the topic of this thread.
Otherwise it would be called da off-topic.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: