Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 08:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  can someone help explain this to me?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: can someone help explain this to me?  (Read 4555 times)
Tim
Opening Act

« on: April 29, 2005, 03:28:49 PM »

Alright somebody please try and explain the clustered tangled web of this whole entire record contract situation. I was always under the impression that GNR has been under contract by Interscope/Geffen or whatever, and now they just signed a publishing deal with Sanctuary which i understand is not the same thing as a record contract. But on Sanctuary's website it says that Axl is currently recording music for Universal Records? There is also a link on Universal's website to gnronline.com. Does anybody have any idea the clarity of all of this?  Huh
estranged.1098
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 03:36:58 PM »

Geffen is part of Univeral. Some GNR releases are made under the Universal label (Greatest Hits is possibly an example, but I'm not sure since I don't own that piece of crap).
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 03:52:28 PM »

Estranged, you didn't buy Greatest Hits either? I thought I was one of the only people who didn't buy that. Any self respecting GNR fan would not buy that garbage. The only point of its release was to put money in their pockets. Not my money!

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 04:21:15 PM »

Estranged, you didn't buy Greatest Hits either? I thought I was one of the only people who didn't buy that. Any self respecting GNR fan would not buy that garbage. The only point of its release was to put money in their pockets. Not my money!

I didn't buy it either.? I can make my own copy when I want.? I cant believe it has stayed on the billboard 100 for over a year.? It's at #48.? Velvet Revolver hasn't been on the top 100 in a while.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 04:24:02 PM by Thorazine Shuffle » Logged

Chief
Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 04:29:13 PM »

i didn't either. what's the point, nothing new on it plus they didnt even want it to come out!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 04:33:42 PM »

Yeah, greatest hits was extremely flawed. too many covers, shitty tracklist, and nothing new. They could have at least given us a good version of Crash Diet or something LOL!! GNR is the only band in the world that doesn't need a greatest hits album. GNR has too many good songs. A greatest hits package would require a boxset!

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 04:34:41 PM »

i didn't either. what's the point, nothing new on it plus they didnt even want it to come out!

Me either. Guns n Roses didn't want it released so fuck Geffen/Interscope.

Tim from what I understand, its that Sanctuary has rights to publishing lyrics/music for song books and what not. maybe Axl even has sanctuary copyright his songs. Does that mean Interscope has to pay sanctuary to put the music onto cd's? Who knows, it's all legal bullshit I don't care about. I just want to hear the music.

audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 05:49:21 PM »

Me either. Guns n Roses didn't want it released so fuck Geffen/Interscope.

Neither did I - I thougth I was the only hardcore fan that didn't eventually buy it... hehe, guess not.

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
GNFNRAXL
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 09:50:32 AM »

I think I better learn how to speak another language as I have a hard time understanding the posts. rofl
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 03:29:25 PM »

Maybe why us niggaz haven`t seen  da fly upcoming album, Chinese Democracy is because the legalities of several labels involved is making da motherfucking bitch hard to release.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Darth Jenny
Berserk Asuka Langley
Headliner

Rock N' Roll Messiah

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 11:10:28 PM »

I didn't buy it either

Always two there are, a master and an aprentice...

Gunner Temple
Jenny's Dream of Axl Rose
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 09:34:04 AM »

I dont quite understand people who say things like 'only hardcore fans would not buy the Greatest Hits' I am not trying to say for a second that i am a bigger fan or know more about the band than others, but its a bit fucking judgemental to say that hardore fans should not be buying the Greatest Hits! I have been a fan since 86-87 and live for the band old and new and I bought the Greatest Hits. Yeh of course I wasnt impressed with the tracklisting like many other people where the fuck was estranged breakdown coma so fine dont damn me etc etc? It was obviously just the biggest commercial songs from the record companies point of view that mad the tracklisting. But I still bought it cos I want to own every release thats comes from guns and out of curiosity. Did none of you so called hard core GnR fans not have a sly little grin on your faces when the greatest hits was one of the top selling albums in most countries in 2004? I know I certainly did cos it showed that the band are still very relavent today and could well be a massive springboard for the new album to reach out to existing and new fans alike!! Even you negative judgemental dudes! I swear there should a special area of this site for you dudes to just whinge amoungst yourselves!!

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 11:33:41 AM »

.......But I still bought it cos I want to own every release thats comes from guns...

Greatest Hits did NOT come from Guns, they even sued Geffen/Interscope for that release.

Re-Union time, baby!!
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 12:22:54 PM »

.......But I still bought it cos I want to own every release thats comes from guns...

Greatest Hits did NOT come from Guns, they even sued Geffen/Interscope for that release.
I think you got your quotes wrong there mate! That was from me not james lofton! Dont split fucking hairs! I know that band members current and old didnt want it released. I bought it cos I wanted all the albums that were released that are by the band! How fucking awkward are you mate?

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2005, 02:40:26 PM »

whola, sorry for wrong quoting, it hasnt been made by purpose, my fault.? peace
but thanks for bashing!

Re-Union time, baby!!
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 08:55:07 AM »

the greatest hits album rocked. atleast it put the name "guns n roses" back onto the charts and probably introduced the band to a load of new and younger fans.  Roll Eyes

Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 11:28:06 AM »

As to the bottom line: Who writes the checks (or doesn't, as the case may be right now)?, I actually have no idea anymore.

I know that when I first started listening to Guns they were on Geffen. There weren't many well known acts on Geffen at the time, so Geffen seemed really cool.

But at this point I'm not even sure if Geffen still exists. I know that names like 'Sony,' 'Universal,' 'Interscope,' and 'Sanctuary' have something to do with the current band.

I don't think there is any Geffen attachement anymore, except for past releases.

I've seen enough.
madagas
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 11:47:17 AM »

Johnny, come on! Gnr's record contract is STILL with Geffen.
http://www.geffen.com/
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 12:07:56 PM »

The old records have the Geffen imprint, but that doesn't mean the new band is directly under contract with Geffen. Of course the old records will have the logo. But I think Geffen got eaten by a bigger fish. Any connection now is name-only. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. No big deal. I've heard at least three explanations. All I know for sure is Sanctuary has the publishing.

I've seen enough.
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 08:50:02 AM »

GNR's previous labels, Interscope and Geffen, are owned by Universal Music Group (which appears to also own gnronline.com; http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/whois/results.jhtml;jsessionid=Z5IXYYTSRAAU4CWMEAQCFEY?whoistoken=0&_requestid=395460). Axl signed with Sanctuary recentlyish, they will release CD. Sanctuary also aquired the rights to GNR's back catalogue a while ago, or at least limited rights.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: