Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 05:31:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  A reason why Chinese Democracy may fail.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A reason why Chinese Democracy may fail.  (Read 12563 times)
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 07:38:29 PM »

That's something that bothers me when fans wonder if Chinese Democracy will be great.
Take a look around and ponder.
Rock is dead. We don't have big bands anymore and channels like MTV don't boost upcoming rock bands.
At least rock isn't that popular anymore if not dead. It's been long since we've heard a great hard-rock album.
You think UY1 would be on charts if it was released now? Would bands like Zeppelin, Queen or U2 even appear today?
What if Chinese Democracy's really great? A few will understand it. Most people don't have sentiment in music anymore. They will not appreciate Chinese Democracy, only hardcore fans and people who still hear rock music will do.
We should hold our enthusiasm about C.D. When it comes out, even if it's wonderful we may see it not able enough to reach the people.

For years, i've gone to stores in the mall... Never have they carried GNR stuff... I'd look and all i'd see is 'white zombie', 'metallica', 'nin', and whatever other bands were hot at the time... Even sometimes 'ACDC', 'Zepplin' and 'floyd'... But NEVER GN'R..... But go to "Hot topic' or 'Spener Gifts' among others... GNR is all over the place.. Its not for no reason either... Kids nowadays are getting into them... And real good rock is getting popular again... Once the album comes out i think it will turneverything around... But Axl has to do it soon, before to many people get tired of waiting, if its not to late   
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 07:39:27 PM »

Chinese democracy... the MOST expensive album in HISTORY....

No its not. ? Roll Eyes
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 08:01:57 PM »

Chinese democracy... the MOST expensive album in HISTORY....

No its not.   Roll Eyes

lol , the video for micheal jacksons song "scream" cost more then democracy album. In fact the promotion itself cost more then the democracy recording process. You can only guess how much it cost to record.  Shocked

democracy most expensive album ever? not likely.

Pingouirose
Rocker

Here I Am !

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 08:02:21 PM »

Jackson's Invincible ?  ok
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 08:10:22 PM »

Jackson's Invincible ?  ok

yeah , thats the album! like I said , the VIDEO for one song cost more then the 13 million spent on democracy.

then the promotion , I mean he had 3 giant statues made and floated up rivers and crap.  Roll Eyes

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2005, 08:17:50 PM »

The statue promotion and the Scream video was from the History album...

Invincible was the album that came after, I think the most expensive ever made.  In the U.S. it sold what?  A couple of million?
Assman
Opening Act

Ass man, always ass.

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2005, 07:19:00 AM »

I think of course that the most important thing is that the album is released soon. BUT I do care if it sells. I want G n' R to be big again. To make a difference. Maybe they can't be as big as they used to. But it would be awesome if they would sell out stadiums and the album sold well. Axl is one of the last truly interesting and inspiring persons in music today. I mean Bono, James Hetfield, there just not interesting anymore. If they ever was. Around Axl there's something mystical, a bit like Michael Jackson. We don't know that much about him. He's not overexposed like a lot of other jerks.

The critics say the same thing. If one will praise it, a lot of others will follow. They're not very independent. A lot of them will most probably give some background information and take that into the evaluation. Which is bull. But with G n' R there is so much bagage it will be hard for them to just listen to the material and give it a fair judgement on the music alone.
RKD
Headliner

Chinese Democracy Starts Now!!

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2005, 07:54:58 AM »

U2's "How to dismantle an Atomic Bomb", went straight to No. 1 in 35 countries when it was released last November and Vertigo stayed at the Top of the UK Download Chart for about 5-6 weeks. and you are telling me Rock is Dead.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2005, 08:07:39 AM »

also all U2 STADIUM gigs are totally sold-out in Europe for this summer. In Paris the 80.000 tickets in "Stade de France" were sold within...3 hours. As a consequence, U2 added a new Paris date at Stade de France, once again, the other 80.000 tickets were sold within a few hours once again. In less than 24H, U2 sold 160.000 tickets for their two Paris show in July. Rock music is not dead.
I'm also sure that Oasis is able to sell-out a stadium here in Paris whenever they want. Last year, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Metallica sell-out another Paris stadium called "Parc des Princes" (55/60.000 people).
---> when CD is released and with 2 or 3 great singles and a good promotion, Guns N' Roses could be able to play a stadium here in Paris. But the promotion? must be way bigger than the one in 2002 (exept the VMA, 2002 the band was poorely promoted, where is the killer mediatic phenomenon of the UYI erea?). Guns N' Roses will go nowhere if the promotion is as weak as what it was in 2002. Guns N' Roses is a big name, there will have no problem to play stadiums and sell million and million albums again, people just need to know the band (or the name) is back. It's a question of information. Inform people. Don't let them is the dark. put a HUGE poster on champs-elys?es in front of Virgin Megastor (20x20 metters) saying "Guns N' Roses- Chinese Democracy- new album in sales now" during 15/20 days. Pay the price for it it's not important because the payback will be much bigger. The key is the promotion. That's all.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 08:51:02 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Death Cube K
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2005, 03:27:42 PM »

Rock is back, it's not dead. It used to be dead.

If it was dead Motley Crue would not have sold out shows the way they did. It's as simple as that. So what if we put our trust in the old heroes, maybe they can light up some young morons and make them go "thats what I wanna do, fuck this 'i wanna die' crap, lets start a band and have a beer instead".

I talk to kids all the time and they all want rock. All the way down to 10 year olds...they want rock..
mick
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2005, 03:42:57 PM »

Rock is dead.
----Johnny Rotten in 197?  Tongue

Was the scene when GN'R were about to debut so different from that of today? Huh

Yes.

Rap was still "new", old school rockers (Stone,Alice Cooper, Aerosmith,Floyd) had been making a comeback, and hair bands ruled the world (Crue/Jovi/Poison/Warrant).

These days "rock" is either a mix of rap and cookie monster voice nonesense, poppy punk crap (I can't understand how the 2 can be mixed with a straight face), and dark glummy .. ah just go kill yourself already .. shit. GnR were/are so different than what is considered "rock" music these days, I can't understand how they both can be "rock".

beer

Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2005, 10:51:28 AM »

this is funny, am i talking like a bitch?Huh did someone hack this site or have you all turned black? i lost my carcan you help me find it kind sir, you are a gentleman axl.

If love is blind i guess i'l buy myself a cane..
Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2005, 10:53:24 AM »

ha ha, axl izzy and slash are in guns n roses! what about duff and adler? what about matt sorum? scott weiland is gay...chinese democracy starts now.

Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2005, 10:55:35 AM »

this is the best!!!!!!!!!! thanks axl. i need to find my appetite for destruction cos izzy and slash fucked my shit late last nite and pumped my gas for weilland.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2005, 12:37:55 PM »

techno is dead.
----Johnny Rotten in dis motherfucking bitch 197?  Tongue

Was da scene when GN'R were about to debut so different from that of today? Huh

Yes.

Rap was still "new", old school rockers (Stone,Alice Cooper, Aerosmith,Floyd) had been making a comeback, n' hair bands ruled da world (Crue/Jovi/Poison/Warrant).

These days "techno" is either a mix of rap n' cookie monster voice nonesense, poppy punk crap (dis pimp right here can't understand how da 2 can be mixed with a straight face), n' dark glummy .. ah just go kill yourself already .. shizzle. GnR were/are so different than what is considered "techno" music these days, dis pimp right here can't understand how they both can be "techno".

beer

Sure enough!
That doesn't sound any better than now to me.
No offence dude but 1'd always take NIN, Radio Heads, white stripes n such over those hair metals.
But, h e y! Look, for all t h e difference !n our taste of music, we still love t h e same band. beer

GN'R was an exceptional Non-standardised article !n t h e scene a n d is.
From t his aspect, 1 guess t h e situation is rather similar.   

Magically, were there more fans of t h e (OLD) b a n d  !n  1985 than of t h e (NEW) b a n d  !n 2005? 
Then again, there are more naysayers and prejudices against t h e band now, f o r s u r e.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2005, 03:38:01 PM »

Chinese Democracy will be da bomb!

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2005, 09:23:59 PM »

That's something that bothers me when fans wonder if Chinese Democracy will be great.
Take a look around and ponder.
Rock is dead. We don't have big bands anymore and channels like MTV don't boost upcoming rock bands.
At least rock isn't that popular anymore if not dead. It's been long since we've heard a great hard-rock album.
You think UY1 would be on charts if it was released now? Would bands like Zeppelin, Queen or U2 even appear today?
What if Chinese Democracy's really great? A few will understand it. Most people don't have sentiment in music anymore. They will not appreciate Chinese Democracy, only hardcore fans and people who still hear rock music will do.
We should hold our enthusiasm about C.D. When it comes out, even if it's wonderful we may see it not able enough to reach the people.

it's not dead dude. stop listening to the radio. there ARE some great bands out there, like Porcupine Tree for example. just because a band isnt insanely popular, dont mean it sucks. and so what if the big thing today is that shitty hip-hop? give it a few years... people will realise how sucky it is and turn back to rock.

and Chinese Democracy is gonna kick major ass!   ok

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2005, 12:00:32 AM »

Chinese Democracy can't fail. It will sell millions of albums out of curiousity alone. And if Axl has a catchy pop tune similar to U2's 'Vertigo', LOOK OUT!! CD will be all over the place. CD will be big, but without a really catchy hit, GNR will not be all over TV and radio like in the olden days.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2005, 10:53:01 PM »

Chinese Democracy might not be an overwhelming success in the United States.  My guess is it will sell 2 or 3 million copies, good but not as strong as their other albums.  But internationally I think it will be succeed, I bet it sells around 10 million worldwide.  Guns N Roses have a huge international fanbase
Warren
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 03:44:02 AM »

Some people say that Axl's album sales are not an issue.

On the contrary, I think it's a big issue because if ChinDem does not sell well, it will be the last album released by Axl : record company moguls' revenge !!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 03:53:40 AM by Pepe Da Rosa » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: