Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:56:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why No Guitarist??
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why No Guitarist??  (Read 12177 times)
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2005, 10:47:07 AM »

also, can someone tell me what was said by Tommy in regards to bucket? i must have missed that.

"HTGTH: Everything that happened this year with GN'R, people are worried about the band. Are they together?...

Tommy: No, no... Buckethead going away is the best thing that could've happened to the band. It's gonna be great.

I won't get too far into that, because I don't really like slamming people or getting into people's personalities or anything like that. It's a really good thing."

. . . and other little things like that. Nothing vitriolic, just vague comments about him being difficult to work or socialize with.
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2005, 10:48:58 AM »

Thanks!
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2005, 10:55:17 AM »

Nothing vitriolic, just vague comments about him being difficult to work or socialize with.

no? how about the comment where he said he's like to shit in his bucket?

Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2005, 11:03:42 AM »

I am so depressed, so let down, why??? why is this taking so long for any kind of news, if nothing is being said, that just leaves me to believe nothings comming. You ask yourself deep down inside why no guitarist have been chosen, and with no help from the heart the answer lies clear, there isn't one. There's nothing hiding, there's nothing going on, all I can see is time going by so quickly its almost as if that's all we get. The GNR camp owes us answers, but for now we sit and wait for what, Axl? why??? I need a band that's hungry to wake me up again.   

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2005, 01:36:04 PM »

Nothing vitriolic, just vague comments about him being difficult to work or socialize with.

Ha! I haven't seen that one.
I love Buckethead but the guy's a complete goofball, I suspect he is/should be on some serious medication. He's blown chances with a number of high-profile bands over the years, purely because of his ridiculous behaviour. I give GNR props for putting up with him for as long as they did.
slash4ever
Rocker

One In A Million

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2005, 02:27:57 PM »

Because they don't need a third <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=guitar" onmouseover="window.status='guitar'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">guitar</a> player until they tour?? Huh

they don't need a third guitar player at all.
And by the way HK-47 VR do not talk about chinese democracy, gnr,Axl.....etc in EVERY interview. Angry

What's so civil about war anyway?
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2005, 02:36:13 PM »

And by the way HK-47 VR do not talk about chinese democracy, gnr,Axl.....etc in EVERY interview. Angry
I know it's not every single interview, but it's a high percentage. And of course, the longer the interview the more likely the subject is to come up. All I was saying was that if they don't want to be associated with Axl/GNR then they really should stop answering questions/talking about them. And perhaps when the subject of a reunion pops up in conversation, perhaps refraining from replying "Ask Axl."
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2005, 02:46:00 PM »

I love Buckethead but the guy's a complete goofball, I suspect he is/should be on some serious medication. He's blown chances with a number of high-profile bands over the years, purely because of his ridiculous behaviour. I give GNR props for putting up with him for as long as they did.

Roll Eyes  I dont see how he "blew" his chance with GNR since it was he who left the band and wasnt fired.

HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2005, 02:58:27 PM »

Roll Eyes? I dont see how he "blew" his chance with GNR since it was he who left the band and wasnt fired.
You answered your own question, he blew the opportunity by walking out on it, and by being deliberately difficult for the duration of his tenure. Given that he's auditioned for bands as diverse as the red hot chilli peppers and ozzy osbourne, it's fair to say that he'd like a shot at the big leagues. The only thing which has prevented him from having genuine success so far is his own idiotic behaviour. I'm a Buckethead fan, I have about 12 cds of his that I had to track down or import while I was living in Europe so I'd say I'm on his side, but even I can see that he's his own worst enemy when it comes to making something of his talent.
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2005, 03:44:21 PM »

You answered your own question, he blew the opportunity by walking out on it, and by being deliberately difficult for the duration of his tenure.

Thats not blowing a chance man .. thats called taking control of your own future. Buckethead left after almost 3 years because he decided GNR wasnt for him. I dont see how he blew anything since all this time later GNR is still a running joke with no punchline in sight.

Given that he's auditioned for bands as diverse as the red hot chilli peppers and ozzy osbourne, it's fair to say that he'd like a shot at the big leagues. The only thing which has prevented him from having genuine success so far is his own idiotic behaviour.

Idiotic? Nice. So because Buckethead didnt want to sell out and take off his mask and destroy the characther he spent years building for Ozzy "mumble jumble" osbourne that makes Buckethead an idiot all of a sudden?! I think that makes him more credible to me , the fact that he will and has turned down "the big show" to stay true to an image that he has spent all these years crafting while being shun and made fun of by "the mainstream" ... thats pretty damn cool and shows he aint "in this" for fame and fortune.

I'm a Buckethead fan, I have about 12 cds of his that I had to track down or import while I was living in Europe so I'd say I'm on his side, but even I can see that he's his own worst enemy when it comes to making something of his talent.

Good for you , you have some of his albums.  ok  but to think bucket aint "making something of his talent" is an ignorant statement. bucket does what bucket likes , he likes the genre's of music he plays and it's obvious he likes the people he chooses to play with. Put into a situation like GNR/Ozzy/RHCP for too long and I think it makes B feel very stifled and trapped , whereas on his own he can be free to explore any which way he chooses.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2005, 03:56:19 PM »

Great post Saul. People shouldnt be mad at Buckethead. Anyone with any self respect would leave a band that doesn't do anything. But I would like to know the real reason behind his departure. Buckethead probably grew some balls and confronted Axl about CD. Axl probably didn't respond very well to it, so BH left. Its funny how Axl and the band said they were gonna take things to the "next level", yet they haven't done shit or even seen each other since BH departure. Pathetic.

Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2005, 04:03:04 PM »

But I would like to know the real reason behind his departure. Buckethead probably grew some balls and confronted Axl about CD. Axl probably didn't respond very well to it, so BH left.

I doubt that to be honest. In my mind I picture Buckethead in the studio with dan monti day after day , BH : "wheres axl?"   Monti: "I dont know" , BH: "oh , wheres the rest of the band?"  Monti: "I dont know" , BH: "are we almost finished recording? cause this is the 100th solo I've done for IRS and I need to send this to mike piazza asap!" , Monti: "I dunno" ,  BH: "Got anymore leatherface dolls?"  ,  Monti: "No" ,  BH: "Ok , I'm out .. les called , they wanna jam and record an album , together , then tour , as a band!" ,  Monti: "good move bucket , bye!"

But I'm glad he left though to be honest , it's nice that it actually helped speed up the recording process and take the recordings to the next level ..... It's great to see how fast everything is moving now that slowpoke buckethead quit , and how tight and cohesive the band is as a unit and family. Everyone knows now whats going on and what the deal is .. buckethead was just screwing everything up.

hihi  Roll Eyes

HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2005, 04:26:46 PM »

You answered your own question, he blew the opportunity by walking out on it, and by being deliberately difficult for the duration of his tenure.

Thats not blowing a chance man .. thats called taking control of your own future. Buckethead left after almost 3 years because he decided GNR wasnt for him. I dont see how he blew anything since all this time later GNR is still a running joke with no punchline in sight.

He walked out on the band immediately prior to a long-established show. Before that, a bunch of shows were cancelled due to his alledged abdominal problems. The question isn't "was BH right to leave GNR?" The question is; Who in their right mind is going to take a chance on hiring Buckethead for anything important? He proved himself to be a liability rather than a benefit, and the timing of his departure made him look especially bad. It was an opportunity to shine, instead he made a pretty poor reputation for himself. ?

Given that he's auditioned for bands as diverse as the red hot chilli peppers and ozzy osbourne, it's fair to say that he'd like a shot at the big leagues. The only thing which has prevented him from having genuine success so far is his own idiotic behaviour.

Idiotic? Nice. So because Buckethead didnt want to sell out and take off his mask and destroy the characther he spent years building for Ozzy "mumble jumble" osbourne that makes Buckethead an idiot all of a sudden?! I think that makes him more credible to me , the fact that he will and has turned down "the big show" to stay true to an image that he has spent all these years crafting while being shun and made fun of by "the mainstream" ... thats pretty damn cool and shows he aint "in this" for fame and fortune.

It's got nothing to do with his wardrobe. Well, maybe that's a little idiotic too. I was referring more to the fact that he's deliberately antisocial. He seems to have made very little effort to be a part of GNR, according to the other members of the band, he made plainly stupid prima-dona demands in the recording studio (chicken coop anyone?). Add in his unreliability and you hardly have the foundations for a good working relationship. Then there's the fact that he insists on living his fictional character off-stage, even when auditioning for potential employers. The guy is clearly not particularly mature - and that's giving him all the best of it. Anyone willing to sacrifice the appropriate forum for his abilities for the sake of an image, someone willing to abandon substance for style, is a shallow person indeed. And as I said, it is Buckethead himself who chooses to audition for these people, he wouldn't be doing so if he didn't want the job, it's blatant stupidity to deliberately sabotage your own ambitions.

I'm a Buckethead fan, I have about 12 cds of his that I had to track down or import while I was living in Europe so I'd say I'm on his side, but even I can see that he's his own worst enemy when it comes to making something of his talent.

Good for you , you have some of his albums.? ok? but to think bucket aint "making something of his talent" is an ignorant statement. bucket does what bucket likes , he likes the genre's of music he plays and it's obvious he likes the people he chooses to play with. Put into a situation like GNR/Ozzy/RHCP for too long and I think it makes B feel very stifled and trapped , whereas on his own he can be free to explore any which way he chooses.
Putting out hastily constructed albums on a shoestring budget for an audience of ten people is not a fitting tribute to Buckethead's abilities. Sure, the albums vary between decent and brilliant but the guy is clearly capable of doing better. I'm sure that he could consistantly produce excellent albums and reach many more people and continue to improve if he had the resources and the challenge. Instead he's gone shuffling back into obscurity to make small albums for a small audience. I think you're right about him feeling stifled and trapped in an organized band set-up, but I think it has much more to do with the weight of expectation than the lack of freedom. Like all of the other member's of GNR's recent line-ups he was free to pursue his own music, release his own albums and carry on as usual while waiting for GNR to get moving. The only difference between Buckethead's situation now and his situation two years ago is that he no longer has the opportunity to flex his musical muscle in the mainstream (if/when GNR get rolling.)
I simply think it sad that this immensely talented musician has pretty much slammed the door on any chance he had of realizing his ambitions. He spent four years in GNR and all he has to show for it is a tattered reputation. (oh, and a record deal with sanctuary.)
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2005, 04:30:08 PM »

Career wise, Bucket is the least intelligent of all the GNR members. Even if GNR never gets its shit together, being asociated w/ GNR and being able to release your own albums as well as working with whoever you want in the meantime......and getting paid.....how is being in GNR a bad thing?

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2005, 04:30:52 PM »

he's his own worst enemy when it comes to making something of his talent.

Sounds familiar?no actually it would apply to everyone.

I just think he's easy to get bored and can't stand still at a perch for too long.
Childlike but that quality made him gifted. JIMO
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 04:59:59 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2005, 04:50:21 PM »

He walked out on the band immediately prior to a long-established show. Before that, a bunch of shows were cancelled due to his alledged abdominal problems. The question isn't "was BH right to leave GNR?" The question is; Who in their right mind is going to take a chance on hiring Buckethead for anything important? He proved himself to be a liability rather than a benefit, and the timing of his departure made him look especially bad. It was an opportunity to shine, instead he made a pretty poor reputation for himself. 

LOL. According to those in the know , Buckethead had left GNR LONG before RIR4. Long before. And yeah , shows cancelled because of his stomach problems. Yeah , what a jerk huh? His stomach starts bleeding internally and he wont even go to europe for a tour. What an ass.  Roll Eyes  Oh waitasec , it didnt matter .. cause axl didnt even know about that tour till he read about it on the internet. The same axl who didnt show up in vancouver or philly. Maybe axl had internal stomach bleeding too.

Whats funny though is that since leaving GNR , Bucket has played about 100 concerts , compared to GNR playing ... let me count .. 1 , 2  , 8  , 4 , 6 .. yup .. zero!

It's got nothing to do with his wardrobe. Well, maybe that's a little idiotic too. I was referring more to the fact that he's deliberately antisocial. He seems to have made very little effort to be a part of GNR, according to the other members of the band,

according to tommy stinson? yeah .. and the rest of the band are a close knit family. right? I'm sure they hang out at robins house flipping through magazines looking for pictures to cut out and make collages from. Yawn. Buckethead and Brain are best buds , I'm sure that was enough for Bucket seeing as to he's paid to go and play GNR cover songs. Did you ever think that maybe instead of going out to bars and getting wasted like Stinson and Dizzy obviously like doing Buckethead would rather go hit a toystore and buy some gifts for his fans to giveaway at the show? Did you know Buckethead isnt a drinker or smoker? maybe thats why he didnt "fit in" with what I would describe as a closet alcoholic such as tommy stinson and/or dizzy reed.

he made plainly stupid prima-dona demands in the recording studio (chicken coop anyone?).

Hang out with a prima-donna long enough and it rubs off I'd imagine.

Add in his unreliability and you hardly have the foundations for a good working relationship.

yeah , so unreliable. He forced the band to miss one tour because he was sick. So why isnt the band touring now that mr.unreliable is out of the band?

Then there's the fact that he insists on living his fictional character off-stage, even when auditioning for potential employers.

I guess "in characther" is how he feels most comfortable playing. So what? I thought music was something you heard not something you hear with your eyes.

The guy is clearly not particularly mature - and that's giving him all the best of it. Anyone willing to sacrifice the appropriate forum for his abilities for the sake of an image, someone willing to abandon substance for style, is a shallow person indeed.

Actually , I call that someone who is steadfast in his beliefs and not afraid to stick to his guns and buck the mainstream.

Putting out hastily constructed albums on a shoestring budget for an audience of ten people is not a fitting tribute to Buckethead's abilities.

Tell that to the thousands of fans who buy his every release. Bucketheads fan adore him. Fuck the mainstream and writing "radio friendly hits" to "make it" , follow your dreams.

Sure, the albums vary between decent and brilliant but the guy is clearly capable of doing better. I'm sure that he could consistantly produce excellent albums and reach many more people and continue to improve if he had the resources and the challenge.

Buckethead records many of his albums at TDRS , one of the best modern studios in the world , with world class players such as les claypool , Brain , Bernie Worell & Bill laswell amonsgt others.

Instead he's gone shuffling back into obscurity to make small albums for a small audience.

I guess that makes him happy. Isnt that what matters most?

I think you're right about him feeling stifled and trapped in an organized band set-up, but I think it has much more to do with the weight of expectation than the lack of freedom.

Thats your opinion. Who knows? maybe it's correct. we can speculate all night.

Like all of the other member's of GNR's recent line-ups he was free to pursue his own music, release his own albums and carry on as usual while waiting for GNR to get moving. The only difference between Buckethead's situation now and his situation two years ago is that he no longer has the opportunity to flex his musical muscle in the mainstream (if/when GNR get rolling.)

maybe Buckethead doesnt wanna be mainstream. Who knows? he left for a reason , what it was/is is anyone's guess.

I simply think it sad that this immensely talented musician has pretty much slammed the door on any chance he had of realizing his ambitions. He spent four years in GNR and all he has to show for it is a tattered reputation. (oh, and a record deal with sanctuary.)

I think buckethead has realized every ambition he has ever had. He's recorded many albums , many MANY fans , toured the world over , recorded with some of the bigger names in music and is highly regarded by fellow guitarists. Tattered reputation? LOL , only to GNR fans ... seeing as he hasnt stopped recording and touring since he left the band I dont think he has to worry about his reputation as a stand up musician ever being "tattered" anytime soon.

Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2005, 04:55:01 PM »

Career wise, Bucket is the least intelligent of all the GNR members. Even if GNR never gets its shit together, being asociated w/ GNR and being able to release your own albums as well as working with whoever you want in the meantime......and getting paid.....how is being in GNR a bad thing?

How do we know the terms of every members contracts? Tommy Stinson is the only current member to release a solo album ... maybe even tommy wouldnt be "allowed" to record say , a replacements album is he wanted. And who knows how these contracts have changed since Bucket left.

Also , how do we know bucket was still getting paid when he left? Maybe the payments stopped coming in and Bucket got out while he could.

In the end I just think buckethead was unhappy with being in GNR , maybe because it was "gnr" and/or maybe there was one or two members he just didnt like.

At the end of the day the fact remains that buckethead left and probably wont be back .. and judging from the fact that people still talk so much about buckethead after all this time shows that he was a big part of the new band and did garner much interest from the fans. If at all possible I honestly believe it would be in axl's best interest to try and lure him back into the fold. hell , sack finck , fortus and stinson if need be.  Grin

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2005, 05:16:30 PM »

At the end of the day, Bucket left because he didn't want to be on call for a gig that was never happening. I believe it began to affect his own career plans. He did the right thing for himself.

I hope when this beast is near a release, axl will personally speak to bucket and win his trust again. The fact that axl has so little contact with his band is quite disconcerting.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2005, 05:17:13 PM »

Saul;
I didn't need the Buckethead biography and geography lesson, but thanks all the same. I'm sure we could argue back and forth endlessly over this simple difference of opinion but it's really not worth the effort. I do feel I should clarify though, as I don't think you quite understand what I said. I don't think Buckethead should aim to be radio friendly, nor do I think that he's suited to be a mainstream musician, it's simply that his actions in auditioning for well-recognized mainstream bands would suggest that it's what he was/is aiming for. Regardless of the (doubtless many) faults of his bandmates in GNR his own actions, likely his insistance on maintaining his false outlandish persona, caused his position in the band to become untenable. With the band somewhat in the media at the time, all of this is now public knowledge. So, at the point at which Buckethead was at the peak of his ability to communicate to a new audience what he and his music were about he instead rode that opportunity to a massive anticlimax in full view of the public. To anyone who wasn't already a fan, or at least aware, of Buckethead he will forever be the freak guitarist who was in GNR for five minutes, he will always carry that stigma. While it may be that they are the ones missing out on Buckethead's music it's Buckethead who has lost the most in terms of getting his music heard, and that is by far the most important thing - certainly more important than his choice of headwear or facemask. ? ?
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2005, 05:21:12 PM »

To anyone who wasn't already a fan, or at least aware, of Buckethead he will forever be the freak guitarist who was in GNR for five minutes, he will always carry that stigma..     

....only to people who next to nothing about music outside of gnr.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: