Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:15:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Estranged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Estranged  (Read 13488 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2006, 07:18:37 AM »

Totally. Estranged should be on the "do not touch" list, for the new GNR just as much as songs like SCOM should be on VR's "do not touch" list.

I don't understand why anyone thinks Slash and his crew would be interested in playing ANY of the big ballads from GN'R??? For instance, VR will *never* play Patience. You know why? Because Slash and Duff HATE that song. Neither of them (and Matt according to Behind The Music) wanted to play any of the big huge ballads that Axl wanted to do.

I cannot understand why any song in the GN'R catalog should be off limits to anyone who played in the band. Like I said above I can guarantee you'll never hear certain songs out of VR because they just don't like them, Axl on the other hand is in to pretty much every tune in the catalog. The only songs you might say he would never play again would be 14 Years, Dust N' Bones & Coma. The first two wouldn't even be on a GN'R album if it wasn't for Axl pushing so hard, but they're essentially Izzys solo songs. As for Coma, that's kinda the opposite of November Rain in a way. Slash pushed real hard for it and Axl didn't even want to write lyrics for it.

Axl talked all the time about how Estranged was constantly reinventing itself to him through  the UYI tour. It obviously wasn't written about Steph, but by the time they got to making a video for it, it was reminding him of that all situation the time. I would imagine that it would have to make him think of the VR situation by this point. Either way, as long as we don't have to hear almost all of Appetite again I'm happy. I think not only is Estranged a possibility, it's a probability.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2006, 08:02:08 AM »

Totally. Estranged should be on the "do not touch" list, for the new GNR just as much as songs like SCOM should be on VR's "do not touch" list.

I don't understand why anyone thinks Slash and his crew would be interested in playing ANY of the big ballads from GN'R??? For instance, VR will *never* play Patience. You know why? Because Slash and Duff HATE that song. Neither of them (and Matt according to Behind The Music) wanted to play any of the big huge ballads that Axl wanted to do.

I cannot understand why any song in the GN'R catalog should be off limits to anyone who played in the band. Like I said above I can guarantee you'll never hear certain songs out of VR because they just don't like them, Axl on the other hand is in to pretty much every tune in the catalog. The only songs you might say he would never play again would be 14 Years, Dust N' Bones & Coma. The first two wouldn't even be on a GN'R album if it wasn't for Axl pushing so hard, but they're essentially Izzys solo songs. As for Coma, that's kinda the opposite of November Rain in a way. Slash pushed real hard for it and Axl didn't even want to write lyrics for it.

Axl talked all the time about how Estranged was constantly reinventing itself to him through  the UYI tour. It obviously wasn't written about Steph, but by the time they got to making a video for it, it was reminding him of that all situation the time. I would imagine that it would have to make him think of the VR situation by this point. Either way, as long as we don't have to hear almost all of Appetite again I'm happy. I think not only is Estranged a possibility, it's a probability.

I never remember Axl saying he didn't want to write lyrics to Coma.  I do remember him saying that the song was really personal and that he had trouble writing lyrics/passed out while writing lyrics for it.  He's said that writing the words for that song took a weight off his shoulders or something similar.  I think that song is one of Axl's most personal songs (from what i've read).  I wouldn't be surprised if gnr played it....

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2006, 08:19:30 AM »

I never remember Axl saying he didn't want to write lyrics to Coma.  I do remember him saying that the song was really personal and that he had trouble writing lyrics/passed out while writing lyrics for it.  He's said that writing the words for that song took a weight off his shoulders or something similar.  I think that song is one of Axl's most personal songs (from what i've read).  I wouldn't be surprised if gnr played it....

Axl did an interview with Kurt Loder sometime around 1990 on a show called "Famous Last Words" you can find it on the Get In The Ring (Purple) DVD. It's during that interview that Axl talks about how he didn't want to write lyrics to Coma because of the fact that it's a 10 minute rock song with no chorus. But then he goes on about what you were saying (how he passed out and on) and how the song was very theaputic for him.

Don't get me wrong either as I said before I think pretty much nothing is off limits for GN'R to play, I was just sighting the only reason I can think of why Axl might not do those ones I listed. Personally I'd be happy if they opened and closed with Coma!  Tongue

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2006, 08:27:16 AM »

Axl talked all the time about how Estranged was constantly reinventing itself to him through? the UYI tour. It obviously wasn't written about Steph, but by the time they got to making a video for it, it was reminding him of that all situation the time. I would imagine that it would have to make him think of the VR situation by this point. Either way, as long as we don't have to hear almost all of Appetite again I'm happy. I think not only is Estranged a possibility, it's a probability.

I never remember Axl saying he didn't want to write lyrics to Coma.? I do remember him saying that the song was really personal and that he had trouble writing lyrics/passed out while writing lyrics for it.? He's said that writing the words for that song took a weight off his shoulders or something similar.? I think that song is one of Axl's most personal songs (from what i've read).? I wouldn't be surprised if gnr played it....

Axl did an interview with Kurt Loder sometime around 1990 on a show called "Famous Last Words" you can find it on the Get In The Ring (Purple) DVD. It's during that interview that Axl talks about how he didn't want to write lyrics to Coma because of the fact that it's a 10 minute rock song with no chorus. But then he goes on about what you were saying (how he passed out and on) and how the song was very theaputic for him.

Don't get me wrong either as I said before I think pretty much nothing is off limits for GN'R to play, I was just sighting the only reason I can think of why Axl might not do those ones I listed. Personally I'd be happy if they opened and closed with Coma!? Tongue

I have that Famous Last Words and he doesnt say that he didnt want to write it. He said it was a hard song to write and that its hard to remember because nothing repeats, theres no chorus. He never said he didnt want to write it. Actually, that was one of his favorite songs he wrote. That and Estranged were his two favorites other than November Rain.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2006, 08:58:47 AM »

If he wasn't into it, you could've fooled me - The goes goes fucking off towards the end, and I think makes the song one of hardest hitting, if not the hardest hitting songs they've ever recorded
Big Gun
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2006, 10:17:08 AM »

rock music doesnt get any greater than this song - i havent listen to that song in a while and just played it...boy its just perfect AXL n SLASH at their best.
the two most important ingredients of a rock band LEAD VOCAL n LEAD GUITAR. new GNR dont have lead guitar player.
i was also listening to 2002 tour solos-sorry folks but none of the guitar players involved in that tour can top SLASH. there is not the same feel only only a handfull of people in the world can play with the same feel and they are either dead or long time retired from music scene . it will never be the same GNR( unless at least Slash is back) we all knew and liked. i would love to be proved wrong but i seriously doubt it.

Please don?t put your life in the hands
Of a rock and roll band
And throw it all away
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2006, 11:09:20 AM »

I never remember Axl saying he didn't want to write lyrics to Coma.? I do remember him saying that the song was really personal and that he had trouble writing lyrics/passed out while writing lyrics for it.? He's said that writing the words for that song took a weight off his shoulders or something similar.? I think that song is one of Axl's most personal songs (from what i've read).? I wouldn't be surprised if gnr played it....

Don't get me wrong either as I said before I think pretty much nothing is off limits for GN'R to play, I was just sighting the only reason I can think of why Axl might not do those ones I listed. Personally I'd be happy if they opened and closed with Coma!? Tongue

I have that Famous Last Words and he doesnt say that he didnt want to write it. He said it was a hard song to write and that its hard to remember because nothing repeats, theres no chorus. He never said he didnt want to write it. Actually, that was one of his favorite songs he wrote. That and Estranged were his two favorites other than November Rain.

I aplogize if I miss quoted. I'll have to watch that again and correct myself apparently.

slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2006, 11:36:39 AM »

IMO axl knows that this isnt GnR anymore, its just the name that stands, but the band isnt GnR, a band isnt something just because a name say's it is, maybe he wants 2 leave the past where it belongs, IMO i wouldnt like to hear alot of old stuff by the new band because it would wreck the songs for me, they play the old songs like its so easy and mr brownstone faster than the old band, im not a fan of the new band playing the old stuff, but i like the new material there playing but axl please....

let the past, stay in the past
im guna get alot of stick hear  Undecided

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2006, 11:39:13 AM »

I think Estranged was about a period in Axls life (his wife) that he wants to move on from.

Yeah, that's most likely it. In the music video for Estranged, a definition for "Estranged" is shown about halfway through the song. It's defined as "separation or divorce", which would obviously be related to Erin Everly.
"Estranged" ?was inspired by a short story written by a good friend of the bands named Del James called "Without You" ?It mostly pertains to Axl and Steph but he says it also pertains to other relationships with others such as family members and other close relationships where he knew they had to end. ?He refers to it as unrequieted love!!! ?I believe that part 3 of the Trilogy which should have been the follow up to November Rain and should have also given the answer as to why Steph died in the end of the video, (which you can find out how by reading Del's short story) didn't take place as Axl and Steph parted ways, so they skip part 3 and go to part 4 "The making of "Estranged", this is how he vented it all, through "Estranged".

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Origen
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2006, 12:38:07 PM »

Axl said himself that he was very appreachitive about what Slash done to the song and how he played guitar on it, maybe it's too much of an emotional trip for him to play it without Slash.
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2006, 01:41:39 PM »

Axl said himself that he was very appreachitive about what Slash done to the song and how he played guitar on it, maybe it's too much of an emotional trip for him to play it without Slash.

Or maybe hes just worried that Finck will butcher it like he did to SCOM and NR.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2006, 05:10:32 PM »

Or maybe hes just worried that Finck will butcher it like he did to SCOM and NR.

If Axl thought Robin butchered any song, Robin would not be in Axls band.

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2006, 05:17:41 PM »

exactely.....   he didn`t butcher scom by the way.... ha made it his own ok  same goes for NR to a little smaller extent

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2006, 05:20:13 PM »

exactely.....? ?he didn`t butcher scom by the way.... ha made it his own ok? same goes for NR to a little smaller extent

I like the way he and Richard played NR better overall. SCOM I'm ok either way. But overall if Axl Rose thought "Hmmmm, we can't play (that) song because one of my guitarists isn't good enough" the next thought would be "Hmmm, I guess I have to fire that guitarist"

jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2006, 07:13:48 PM »

I say fortus should play all the slash parts.  Robin, your creative when writing but your "interpretation" of the slash solo's don't work

Richard on the other hand plays them similar, though you know its not slash when he's doing it.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2006, 07:21:57 PM »

Since we're talking about the past, there's no reason GnR couldn't have played it from a technical standpoint.  Buckethead is one of the most precise and skilled players on the planet, he could've played every note of Estranged just fine.  There are probably a few reasons.  One, you need a few slower songs sprinkled in with rockers, and they were already playing NR, The Blues, Patience, Madagascar, which are slower songs.  Playing another epic like Estranged takes a lot of time.  And to me, Estranged was always a song that sounded much better with the studio version.  It wasn't as good live as it was on the album
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2006, 07:24:35 PM »

They're GNR, right? So nothing by the band GNR should be off-limits.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2006, 07:25:30 PM »

Awesome song, would prefer to hear estranged and twat live over November Rain

Here today...ready to rock
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2006, 07:35:48 PM »

I think I would agree with you. November Rain sometimes sounds un-believable live, but other times it does kind of drag a little - depends on the mood, I guess
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2006, 07:37:43 PM »

I think I would agree with you. November Rain sometimes sounds un-believable live, but other times it does kind of drag a little - depends on the mood, I guess

It just a little overplayed. I'd like to hear an acoustic version like from the early demos.

Here today...ready to rock
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: