Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 10:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Estranged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Estranged  (Read 13538 times)
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2006, 08:29:47 PM »

If people payed attention to Axl interviews you would know why they didnt play Estranged or Dont Cry. Axl said once that he re-recorded AFD + Patience + You Could Be Mine so the band already knew all those songs, they just added November Rain and 2 covers (LALD + KOHD) to complete the old catalog in the setlist.
I believe Axl will play more old stuff if he ever returns and rotate it more, that would be cool.

Dude, you're really far off on this, so there's no point insulting people. ?Axl said this in 1999, before Fortus, Bucket or Brain were in the band, and we don't know if Pittman was even in the band. ?Considering also that this was done pre 99 and after 7 years (or even 3 since 2002), the band members are probably going to forget their parts. ?Axl has never mentioned this as a reason for them not playing it.

I suspect that Axl feels that the UYI's were not done properly and he doesn't want to change them too much.

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2006, 09:12:05 PM »

It's my favorite GNR song. But isn't it about Stephanie and how to survive, move on. And Axl has moved on, so thematically, the song is probably dated in Axl's mind.
ROSE22
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2006, 09:58:26 PM »

Since Axl unveiled the new line-up, Estanged has never been played live.? I think its a shame that the new GNR doesn't make it a part of the setlist as it's one of the best songs in the entire GNR catalogue.
i agree and you would think that he would like to continue playing " his songs " like estranged, coma, breakdown.........
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2006, 10:11:08 PM »

No worries? ok

I know what you mean... that song is all Slash and maybe the band couldn't pull it off.? I can't imagine it being easy to play.

On the other hand, I heard the song is about Slash, specifically with lines like "I'll never find anyone to replace you".? One could argue that Axl doesn't feel the need to play the song anymore?

I highly doubt the song is about Slash, it's about a lost love (Erin Everly perhaps?)

estranged is based upon the "without you" series by a novel del james wrote.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2006, 10:14:05 PM »

Estranged is my favorite Gn'R song, hands down. Yea, sure, WTTJ, SCOM, Patience, NR, KOHD.... the classics, they're all amazing and wonderful and I love them all, but Estranged is just... I don't know, but its the most personal, most let-your-guard-down song I've ever heard, and I adore it... but I can see why Axl might not wanna play it live... even in the UYI era, the concert people tried to stop Gn'R playing both NR, Coma and Estranged because they were insanely long songs, but back then, those songs were a big part of Axl's life (don't ask me "How do you know, were you there!?" because its all in the lyrics), and like someone said, he probably doesn't want to play them (except for NR) because he wants to forget that time in his life. Sure, the song is amazing, and everyone who thinks that wants Axl to play it... who knows, maybe he will, but don't hold your breath, OK.

i know what you mean by that "most let-your-guard-down part". A lot of parts in Estranged really hit me hard.

And now that you've been broken down
Got your head out of the clouds
Your feet back on the ground
You don't talk so loud
And you don't walk so proud

not sure if those are the exact lyrics, but that's definitely my fave part of the song lyrically.

yeah that is a great part of the song. it reminds me of bob dylan: like a rolling stone-
"you used to laugh about everybody that was hanging out, now you dont talk so loud, now you dont seem so proud, about having to be scrounging for your next meal..."
i always thought that was pretty cool since im a fan of both of them.
the whole song is amazing musically and lyrically.
i also remember hearing slash and other members of the band saying it was a pain in the ass to play songs like estranged and coma live. although if they play it in new york ill go crazy.
sp9543
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2006, 10:43:09 PM »

estranged is also my favorite gnr song, and I would love to hear it this may.  i bet the new band could nail it, remember guys they are exceptionally-good professional musicians, there's no way they wouldnt be able to pull off any gnr song with some rehearsals

Slow down, chew your food.
SWINGTRADER
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2006, 11:20:30 PM »

Anybody that says Buckethead could play Estranged as good as Slash is an idiot.  Buckethead couldn't write a song like estranged if he had 100 yrs to do it.  I don't understand why some of you dislike slash so much that you would insult him by saying shit like this.  Slash is a legend  Buckethead is a freak that plays fast . ( please don't make reference to his solo albums )  A guitarist is nothing unless he writes amazing riffs in a band .   We have heard like 8 new GNR songs and the guitar parts aren't worthy of even being mentioned in the same sentence with slash.  You might say that Slash was good because he had Axl   but so did Buckethead  and he still sucked.    Just watch, this tour is going to be much better than 2002 now that Buckethead is out of the band.
EccoTides
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2006, 11:39:40 PM »

Anybody that says Buckethead could play Estranged as good as Slash is an idiot.  Buckethead couldn't write a song like estranged if he had 100 yrs to do it.  I don't understand why some of you dislike slash so much that you would insult him by saying shit like this.  Slash is a legend  Buckethead is a freak that plays fast . ( please don't make reference to his solo albums )  A guitarist is nothing unless he writes amazing riffs in a band .   We have heard like 8 new GNR songs and the guitar parts aren't worthy of even being mentioned in the same sentence with slash.  You might say that Slash was good because he had Axl   but so did Buckethead  and he still sucked.    Just watch, this tour is going to be much better than 2002 now that Buckethead is out of the band.

Why can't we reference his solo albums? Because they blow Slash's out of the water?
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2006, 11:45:09 PM »

Writing and playing are two different things, im sure he could play any riff slash wrote. Could he write a comparable riff??? i doubt it, i haven't heard one from him yet.

On a side note, yet another innocent thread has gone to the dark side and become another slash v buckethead monster.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
Megaguns
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2006, 12:02:12 AM »

maybe VR should start playing it, they have as much right to play gnr songs as gnr do.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2006, 12:03:26 AM »

Anybody that says Buckethead could play Estranged as good as Slash is an idiot.? Buckethead couldn't write a song like estranged if he had 100 yrs to do it.? I don't understand why some of you dislike slash so much that you would insult him by saying shit like this.? Slash is a legend? Buckethead is a freak that plays fast . ( please don't make reference to his solo albums )? A guitarist is nothing unless he writes amazing riffs in a band .? ?We have heard like 8 new GNR songs and the guitar parts aren't worthy of even being mentioned in the same sentence with slash.? You might say that Slash was good because he had Axl? ?but so did Buckethead? and he still sucked.? ? Just watch, this tour is going to be much better than 2002 now that Buckethead is out of the band.

Wow, those are some strong words dude! ?I love Slash , always will. But from what I heard from Buckethead, I was pretty impressed. I was looking forward to hearing what came out of him on the record. I also don't think he would've lasted this long with Axl unless he was able to bring the goods - Why are you so down on him?
Do you play guitar? Just a Slash lover? ?Just curious friend - Elaborate if you could
GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2006, 12:07:16 AM »

maybe VR should start playing it, they have as much right to play gnr songs as gnr do.

I would rather kill myself than hear scott try to sing estranged. Dont' get me wrong, i don't call him a fag or gay or anything like that, and i feel he has done some songs well, but there are some things you just don't attempt.

Megaguns
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2006, 12:13:09 AM »

I would rather kill myself than hear scott try to sing estranged. Dont' get me wrong, i don't call him a fag or gay or anything like that, and i feel he has done some songs well, but there are some things you just don't attempt.
I know what you mean, im just getting my point across, When i saw VR live they did a kickass version of Used to love her. Im sure they couldnt pull off estranged. But it would be interesting to see if axl would get pissed off about it.
GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2006, 12:15:06 AM »

I don't know, they have done a few guns songs, they played it's so easy when i saw them. And snakepit did brownstone as well. If axl was that pissed about it i think we would have heard by now.

PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2006, 12:28:51 AM »

Anybody that says Buckethead could play Estranged as good as Slash is an idiot.? Buckethead couldn't write a song like estranged if he had 100 yrs to do it.? I don't understand why some of you dislike slash so much that you would insult him by saying shit like this.? Slash is a legend? Buckethead is a freak that plays fast . ( please don't make reference to his solo albums )? A guitarist is nothing unless he writes amazing riffs in a band .? ?We have heard like 8 new GNR songs and the guitar parts aren't worthy of even being mentioned in the same sentence with slash.? You might say that Slash was good because he had Axl? ?but so did Buckethead? and he still sucked.? ? Just watch, this tour is going to be much better than 2002 now that Buckethead is out of the band.
and this is a big example of ignorant and stupid people...

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2006, 12:32:13 AM »

Yeah, they have the right to play the GNR songs, sure. But Estranged, I agree, they should not touch. I even remember Slash saying they would'nt be doing Jungle because it was a little too " Axl " - That being said, I think they know what lines to cross and which not to-
EccoTides
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2006, 02:32:14 AM »

Totally. Estranged should be on the "do not touch" list, for the new GNR just as much as songs like SCOM should be on VR's "do not touch" list.
TOPGUNner
Rocker

Gonna call the president...

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2006, 06:09:20 AM »

I would love to hear Estranged live. That's one of the best GNR songs ever; on my top 5 for sure.

Got a one way ticket on your last chance ride
Got a one way ticket to your suicide
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2006, 06:25:36 AM »

this tour is going to be much better than 2002 now that Buckethead is out of the band.
I absolutely agree. This is the best thing it could have happened to the band.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
darkmonth
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2006, 07:14:14 AM »

ANY new guitarist (Bucket, Finck - doesn't matter) would get shit from the "fans" for playing the holy grail of GN'R guitar solos. But it never sounded good live anyway, even Slash fucked up that solo in concerts.

What do you need "Estranged" for, when you can have "The Blues"?

WTF?!??!!  Estranged sounded INCREDIBLE live!  You're mental!  And I'm sorry... as great as the Blues is ... it ain't no Estranged dude!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: