Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:14:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Estranged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Estranged  (Read 13487 times)
Elrothiel
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 02:31:59 PM »

Estranged is my favorite Gn'R song, hands down. Yea, sure, WTTJ, SCOM, Patience, NR, KOHD.... the classics, they're all amazing and wonderful and I love them all, but Estranged is just... I don't know, but its the most personal, most let-your-guard-down song I've ever heard, and I adore it... but I can see why Axl might not wanna play it live... even in the UYI era, the concert people tried to stop Gn'R playing both NR, Coma and Estranged because they were insanely long songs, but back then, those songs were a big part of Axl's life (don't ask me "How do you know, were you there!?" because its all in the lyrics), and like someone said, he probably doesn't want to play them (except for NR) because he wants to forget that time in his life. Sure, the song is amazing, and everyone who thinks that wants Axl to play it... who knows, maybe he will, but don't hold your breath, OK.
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 03:02:29 PM »

Estranged is my favorite Gn'R song, hands down. Yea, sure, WTTJ, SCOM, Patience, NR, KOHD.... the classics, they're all amazing and wonderful and I love them all, but Estranged is just... I don't know, but its the most personal, most let-your-guard-down song I've ever heard, and I adore it... but I can see why Axl might not wanna play it live... even in the UYI era, the concert people tried to stop Gn'R playing both NR, Coma and Estranged because they were insanely long songs, but back then, those songs were a big part of Axl's life (don't ask me "How do you know, were you there!?" because its all in the lyrics), and like someone said, he probably doesn't want to play them (except for NR) because he wants to forget that time in his life. Sure, the song is amazing, and everyone who thinks that wants Axl to play it... who knows, maybe he will, but don't hold your breath, OK.

i know what you mean by that "most let-your-guard-down part". A lot of parts in Estranged really hit me hard.

And now that you've been broken down
Got your head out of the clouds
Your feet back on the ground
You don't talk so loud
And you don't walk so proud

not sure if those are the exact lyrics, but that's definitely my fave part of the song lyrically.

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005, 03:09:23 PM »

I think Estranged was about a period in Axls life (his wife) that he wants to move on from.

Yeah, that's most likely it. In the music video for Estranged, a definition for "Estranged" is shown about halfway through the song. It's defined as "separation or divorce", which would obviously be related to Erin Everly.

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2005, 04:33:26 PM »

Not to try and bash the new band or anything, but there's no way that the new band could make Estranged half as good as it sounded with the old lineup.  That's one of those songs that has an extremely unique sound with Slash and Izzy's guitars.  Other songs, like Jungle, It's So Easy, and You Could Be Mine, can be made to sound very similar to the old band's performance, but that's one of those songs that is too unique imo.
jgfnsr
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2005, 12:23:44 AM »

There are some songs that are more "transferable" between the old band and the new one.

"Estranged" isn't one of them.
Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2005, 01:57:19 PM »

Yeah I agree with you mate, don't worry, I'm just being silly. Grin

But you have to think too, Estranged was very much Slash's song (with those killer solos) as well as Axl's and there would've been allot of scrutiny on it if the new band attempted to play it live. But then I guess it's no different to the new band playing any of the other Slash signature tunes.

Anyway, I too hope the new band plays it because it deserves to be heard live again. ok

actually part of estranged was played at the new line up show in china...the end part of the song.

If love is blind i guess i'l buy myself a cane..
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2005, 02:28:03 PM »

This is probably my fav gnr track. I listen to it all the time and I get the same feelings with every listen. Its a powerful song, especially when your feelin kinda shitty.

If Axl has written a better song lyrically than Estranged then I iwll truly be blown away. If Gnr come up with a great piece of music like estranged, I will be again...blown away.

Estranged is just 1 of those songs. Its ashame it doesnt get credit like NR does but I guess its for the hardcore fan....Simply a beautiful song

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Eric
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2005, 07:20:23 PM »

I would love to hear it live by the new band, also-Axl seems to be trying to distance things from the Illusion albums for whatever reason-I know in the interview with Kurt Loder he felt pressured to release them before he felt they were ready, if I remember correctly-when the new lineup played in 2002, November Rain and You Could be mine were the only 2 illusion songs written by the band to make it to the setlist, with KOHD and Live and Let Die covers, of course.
Kitano
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2005, 09:45:06 PM »

I would love to hear it live by the new band, also-Axl seems to be trying to distance things from the Illusion albums for whatever reason-I know in the interview with Kurt Loder he felt pressured to release them before he felt they were ready, if I remember correctly-when the new lineup played in 2002, November Rain and You Could be mine were the only 2 illusion songs written by the band to make it to the setlist, with KOHD and Live and Let Die covers, of course.

Axl could have worked on UYI for 20 years.  CD has shown that the guy just can't finish.  As much as i admire him he obviously never heard the idea that a great album isn't finished, it's abandoned.
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2005, 08:28:14 AM »

There are a few things on Illusions II that the new band could do a cool job with. I don't go along with the idea that something is that sacred that they can't play it. They already do most of AFD, which to most GnR fans is the definitive GnR statement. I'd love to hear a GnR three guitar attack (if they ever get a replacement for Buckethead) take on Locomotive, Breakdown, Estranged, Civil War, and a few others. It would probably take your head off.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2005, 09:51:57 AM »

That songis too representative of the old band. I wouldn't like to see the new line-up play it. It's not their song. They are not the right men to play it. They have to play their new material now, don't touch the classics of the old band.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 11:02:18 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Elrothiel
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2005, 06:20:30 PM »

i know what you mean by that "most let-your-guard-down part". A lot of parts in Estranged really hit me hard.

And now that you've been broken down
Got your head out of the clouds
Your feet back on the ground
You don't talk so loud
And you don't walk so proud

not sure if those are the exact lyrics, but that's definitely my fave part of the song lyrically.
I love that part!! I kinda relate to it too..... a lotta stuff in my life seems to go wrong. I get high hopes, which are then thrown into the darkest pits of hell, and I'm not the same afterwards. I've been with my boyfriend for almost 11 months now, and at the beginning, we were all over each other all the time, and now... he says that he needs to sort himself out and that he doesn't want to be with anyone at the moment. He's staying with me, but its not the same as it used to be. He's now easily pissed-off, doesn't really wanna fuck a lot, and gets pissed-off when I try to be romantic, and it kills me. I wish everything could be how it used to, and I know me and him are gunna split soon. He says when we do, he wants to stay friends, and we'll probably get back together in a few years, but it still kills me because I still feel the same way I did at the beginning of the relationship, and he doesn't, he says he still loves me, but not in the same way as he used to. I cry a lot of the time now, and let me tell you, its not just 5 minute silent crying, its full on weeping for an hour. Somehow... listening to Estranged makes me feel better for some odd reason... I'm so fucking confused because its a sad song, and I'm a sucker for ballads... they make me cry, so I don't know why that one makes me STOP crying... any ideas?
Sorry for spilling my guts all over the board, but it had to happen, seeing as I've been keeping that to myself for fucking ever!
Fuck, I sound like a stupid little whiney emo kid!! *rolls eyes* I'm NOT an emo kid!! Lemme just tell y'all that right now.
Long live Guns N' Fuckin' Roses, and may they continue to play Estranged!

Note to Axl if he ever comes on this message board.

Dear Axl:
PLAY ESTRANGED LIVE WHEN YOU COME TO ENGLAND!!!
Oh... but do actually come to England!
I'll give you a hug if you do! And another bandana!
Thanks in advance!
Love Elly.
PS: You ROCK!!!
xoxox
slash4ever
Rocker

One In A Million

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2005, 12:20:46 PM »

ANY new guitarist (Bucket, Finck - doesn't matter) would get shit from the "fans" for playing the holy grail of GN'R <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=guitar" onmouseover="window.status='guitar'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">guitar</a> solos. But it never sounded good live anyway, even Slash fucked up that solo in concerts.

i thought the Live Era version of Estranged was fine

Yeah kick-ass ok yes

What's so civil about war anyway?
Litti10
Headliner

Here Today...Gone To Yesterday

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2005, 07:35:07 AM »

They should play estranged and locomotive too what hasnt been played a lot either. Maybe on the next tour eh
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2005, 12:40:56 PM »

That's one of those songs that has an extremely unique sound with Slash and Izzy's guitars.?

There's only Slash's guitar on Live Era.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2006, 07:57:02 PM »

All in favor of Estranged being an absolute MUST in this year's set-list - Post Here
Elrothiel
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2006, 08:13:19 PM »

YES! YES YES YESYESYESYESYESYESYEEEEEES!!!!!

*is bouncing around crazily*
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2006, 08:18:30 PM »

didnt slash not even want to do estranged??? And the only reason scom has that riff is bc axl wanted it and built on it slash didnt want to do that either.

illusionone
VIP

I never wanted you to be so full of anger. . . .

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2006, 08:25:42 PM »

I have a few thoughts here. . .

1. ?Estranged was said to be one of the hardest songs to play live, by Slash, Duff and Gilby (see - Making of Estranged)

2. ?I think Axl stays away from songs that he knows he will have a hard time pulling off live - As much as I love the guy, he struggled a bit in '02 on some somgs - He doesn't have that powerful range we all heard from him when he was younger. ?Thats not a knock on him, I feel like he changed the way he sings and approaches things differently. ?If you disagree with this statement ask yourself this. . ?.Could he pull of the "sail away sweet sister song, Shadow of your love, Perfect Crime, locamotive etc. . . .Don't get me wrong, I still got the chills when he sang Live and Let Die, but I don't get the power from Paridice City anymore. ?I think his strengths are with the new songs now, as they are tailered to his new style. ?

Anyway my two cents

Wake up. . . .time to die
kaddisonmoore
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 08:29:05 PM »

Not to sound like an asshole, but Estranged is easy to play

smoking Izzy? smoking
the solos arnt very easy but i think fink could do it no problem ...if he practiced it every day these last 4 years

the hardest part this troubled heart has ever yet been through now...
http://www.invisionplus.net/forums/index.php?mforum=icecream&act=idx
Greatest Fucking Forum Ever Made By Myself and a friend
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: