Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:10:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Estranged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Estranged  (Read 13485 times)
nick
« on: April 18, 2005, 08:15:18 AM »

I wonder why GNR doesn't play Estranged anymore?  Any thoughts?
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 08:34:44 AM »

Maybe because they haven't even played at all for 3 years, perhaps...

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
nick
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 08:39:19 AM »

Since Axl unveiled the new line-up, Estanged has never been played live.  I think its a shame that the new GNR doesn't make it a part of the setlist as it's one of the best songs in the entire GNR catalogue.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 08:53:45 AM »

Yeah I agree with you mate, don't worry, I'm just being silly. Grin

But you have to think too, Estranged was very much Slash's song (with those killer solos) as well as Axl's and there would've been allot of scrutiny on it if the new band attempted to play it live. But then I guess it's no different to the new band playing any of the other Slash signature tunes.

Anyway, I too hope the new band plays it because it deserves to be heard live again. ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
nick
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 09:00:27 AM »

No worries  ok

I know what you mean... that song is all Slash and maybe the band couldn't pull it off.  I can't imagine it being easy to play.

On the other hand, I heard the song is about Slash, specifically with lines like "I'll never find anyone to replace you".  One could argue that Axl doesn't feel the need to play the song anymore?
Bad_Apple
Rocker

Oh my distorted smile

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 09:35:59 AM »

No worries? ok

I know what you mean... that song is all Slash and maybe the band couldn't pull it off.? I can't imagine it being easy to play.

On the other hand, I heard the song is about Slash, specifically with lines like "I'll never find anyone to replace you".? One could argue that Axl doesn't feel the need to play the song anymore?

I highly doubt the song is about Slash, it's about a lost love (Erin Everly perhaps?)
They didn't even play don't cry on tour (is that b/c of S. Hoon's death and how he was originally back-up vocals on the album?)
I agree that they should have incl' this song on thier setlist on thier last tour, as well as more illusion songs.  They basically played AFD songs...(which doesn't represent the complete GNR...)

"in a world he did not create, he will go through it as if it were his own making; half man, half beast, I don't know what it is, but its weird and its pissed off and it calls itself Slash"
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 09:55:25 AM »

If i recall correctly the reason they dont play Dont Cry is because its "an izzy song". I think Axl said that during one of the 2002 shows. As for estranged its probably to do with Slash like people have said. Axl wrote a personal thank you to Slash for coming up with guitar riff, or somthing like that. It probably hits a little close to home for Axl.

Jonx
conny
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 09:59:19 AM »

ANY new guitarist (Bucket, Finck - doesn't matter) would get shit from the "fans" for playing the holy grail of GN'R guitar solos. But it never sounded good live anyway, even Slash fucked up that solo in concerts.

What do you need "Estranged" for, when you can have "The Blues"?
madagas
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 10:28:00 AM »

Buckethead could play ANYTHING by Slash-note for note. His crystal clear tone is tailor made for a song like Estranged. I think Fortus could do it as well. The three guitar lineup is perfect for Estranged. It would sound killer. Just my two cents. Grin
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 12:56:25 PM by madagas » Logged
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 12:01:39 PM »

Not to sound like an asshole, but Estranged is easy to play

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
shaun
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 12:13:55 PM »

Buckethead could play ANYTHING by Slash-note for note. His crystal clear tone is tailor made for a song like Estranged. I think Fotus could do it as well. The three guitar lineup is perfect for Estranged. It would sound killer. Just my two cents. Grin

Buckethead is not in GN'R these days.
madagas
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 12:26:07 PM »

Really..shocking news Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 12:55:42 PM by madagas » Logged
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 01:57:58 PM »

If people payed attention to Axl interviews you would know why they didnt play Estranged or Dont Cry. Axl said once that he re-recorded AFD + Patience + You Could Be Mine so the band already knew all those songs, they just added November Rain and 2 covers (LALD + KOHD) to complete the old catalog in the setlist.
I believe Axl will play more old stuff if he ever returns and rotate it more, that would be cool.
nick
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 03:10:14 PM »

I sure hope he adds more songs.  I believe that if GNR wrote all the songs, then GNR should be able to play everything regardless of the line-up.  Axl is limiting the band during live shows if they cannot play most of the songs... thhe can't be spontaneous and play additional songs just because they feel like making the show longer than expected.  I understand that some songs are not being played for personal reasons, but on the other day, they play Think About You, song that was never played live, because they needed material.  I'm sure people would love to hear Dust N' Bones, Coma and Estranged but they won't play them cause the new GNR doesn't know how.  I really hope they learnt every from AFD to UYI and that I'm proven wrong.  You could argue that he's ripping off the fans.
November Rain 91
Headliner

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 04:53:11 PM »

I remember hearing that Axl said he wouldn't play Estranged without Slash. I'm not saying that's right, but it's what i heard and it makes sense to me.

What do you need "Estranged" for, when you can have "The Blues"?

rofl I don't think that's even close, but that's just me...Blues is awesome but not better than Estranged. But that's not what this thread is about, so...who cares

Guns N' Fuckin' Roses
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 05:16:39 PM »

rofl I don't think that's even close, but that's just me...Blues is awesome but not better than Estranged. But that's not what this thread is about, so...who cares

The Blues paaaaaales in comparison to Estranged..I was listening to estranged in science today and it totaly made me think of Fortus and Finck murdering the solos on top of the speakers @ a sold out show @ MSG Grin The song is next to sweet child o' mine and patience on my all time gnr list, and i totally agree that more illusion material is needed live, my preference would be II. ok

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 05:25:58 PM »

ANY new guitarist (Bucket, Finck - doesn't matter) would get shit from the "fans" for playing the holy grail of GN'R guitar solos. But it never sounded good live anyway, even Slash fucked up that solo in concerts.

i thought the Live Era version of Estranged was fine

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
nick
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 05:29:30 PM »

The live version is awesome ok
SonofAGun
Rocker

Original fan Circa 87, Shaq and Roses?

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2005, 09:02:27 PM »

I think Estranged was about a period in Axls life (his wife) that he wants to move on from.
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 05:52:15 AM »

I believe Axl will play more old stuff if he ever returns and rotate it more, that would be cool.

I doubt it. I presume the next time they go on tour, it will be to promote CD. This means the setlist will largely consist of NuGNR songs, with some fan favorites thrown to the mix (WTTJ, SCOM, etc.). If the album's strong enough, Axl doesn't need to squeeze that much AFD songs, let alone UYI.

I'd love to hear Estranged by the new lineup, though I fear it might never happen.

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: