Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:27:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Duff comments on CD!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff comments on CD!!  (Read 13172 times)
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2005, 06:42:34 PM »

As we all know, NONE of Appetite for Destruction was worked over to much... they were essentially, if we use what you just said as a measurement, half assed.? But they're the best thing in rock.

depends what you consider "worked over"
this is what Axl had to say about the production of AFD
(source:  May, 2004 , Paradise Lost, Classic Rock, May 2004 / link: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=111

What people don't understand is that there was a perfectionist attitude to 'Appetite For Destruction'. There was a definite plan to that," Rose explained. "We could have made it all smooth and polished with [original producer] Spencer Proffer, but it was too fuckin' 'radio'. That's why we went with [eventual producer] Mike Clink. It just didn't gel having it too tight and concise. We knew this, cos Guns N' Roses on stage, man, can be out to lunch; you don't know what to expect. But how do you get that on record?"

By some dark twist of fate, though, they managed to do just that, and capture their essence on record.
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2005, 06:09:55 AM »

You see what Axl had to deal and work with? Like I said he and slash like to half ass songs, Axl likes to work on them. Yes Axl likes to fuck with them for too long, but in guns there was a happy medium.

Good point!  Duff and Slash keep saying that in the last days of old GNR Axl had turned into a dictator, but how can you act differently when your bandmates are a bunch of superficial junkies?

And someone said that Appetite was not worked on too much. Well I think people in the studio worked hard to make it sound like it was not worked on too much, to give it that "raw" feeling.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Intercourse
Banned
Rocker

BED WETTER

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2005, 10:38:03 AM »

This thread is somwhat pointless, it's one person trying to place their opinions and personal tastes above the other. yes

Personally I don't think NR and Estranged would be what they were without Slash's guitar work which is as rich an experience for the listener as the vocal. That's the magic combo that both bands lack today.... that's just my opinion.

Duff is entitled to say what he likes, he was a co-writer to some of the greatest rock songs ever written so kudos to Duff, he's the real deal plus he was in the band which none of the Illuminati here can say (including myself).

Duff also mentioned that he worked very hard with Steven to work up the groove in the AFD songs. Sometimes working everday for hours before band rehearsal to get the swing that Duff loves in Motown music into AFD, so saying Duff was/is in any way half assed is untrue and unfair to him. His resume speaks for itself.

Good point! Duff and Slash keep saying that in the last days of old GNR Axl had turned into a dictator, but how can you act differently when your bandmates are a bunch of superficial junkies?

This is just BS, Duff was fit and sober when he quit Guns. There was no drug or alcohol problem, in fact Duff was training to run a marathon at the time.
Play fair people.
Intercourse.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 10:42:49 AM by Intercourse » Logged
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2005, 11:23:14 AM »

You see what Axl had to deal and work with? Like I said he and slash like to half ass songs, Axl likes to work on them. Yes Axl likes to fuck with them for too long, but in guns there was a happy medium.

So Slash and Duff liked to half-ass songs, and Axl liked to work on them so long they would never be released. This just goes to show they needed eachother for the balance you talk about so that Guns N' Roses could actually release albums in a timely fashion so that fans could actually have something to listen to.

For as bad as you claim those to were about half-assing songs, Axl takes it to the complete other extreme by debilitating the bands ability to record and release music. Unlike the current band members, at least S & D had the leverage to force him to get it in gear, which is the only reason we probably ever had the illusions album, otherwise we might still be waiting for it.

And if S & D's idea of half-assing the music is releasing a Contraband quality album every 18 months, I am OK with that because at least I can listen to what they were working on. I would take 6 of them over a 10 year period over no releases any day of the week.
Intercourse
Banned
Rocker

BED WETTER

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2005, 12:08:21 PM »

Naupis says:
"And if S & D's idea of half-assing the music is releasing a Contraband quality album every 18 months, I am OK with that because at least I can listen to what they were working on. I would take 6 of them over a 10 year period over no releases any day of the week"

I agree with Naupis. I'd rather see my favourite musicians be productive and watch their sounds/lyrics/influences evolve and develop over time; that includes the good, bad and the ugly. Hell, I even like 'My World' after ten years!!  I like the human aspect of music and enjoy watching my idols react to their lives through their music. Silence is not golden.

To say you're happy for Axl to take ten years to make an album makes no sense to me. Judging by the amount of downloading of IRS (which by the way goes  directly against Axls's wishes),  people are lying when they say they are content to sit and wait for when Axl is finally ready to give his fans something. Even his die hard supporters have been taking anything that floats their direction and who can blame them for that?

You can't starve a dog and then get annoyed with him when he snaps at a thrown bone.
Sanctuary should have more sense,
peace,
Intercourse

« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 12:10:07 PM by Intercourse » Logged
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2005, 12:12:42 PM »

You can't starve a dog and then get annoyed with him when he snaps at a thrown bone.
Sanctuary should have more sense,
peace,
Intercourse

Good analogy. Things should have been handled differently for a while now.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Intercourse
Banned
Rocker

BED WETTER

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2005, 12:16:16 PM »

Cheers Dirt,
Again, are they fearful of Axl?
I mean can somebody in the marketing department just get him into a meeting and say:

'For fuck's sake just how long do you plan to leave your fans hanging for?'

providman
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2005, 12:23:17 PM »

Intercourse & Naupis, those were some of the most clear headed & rational posts I've seen here in a long time.? beer
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2005, 12:45:12 PM »

To say you're happy for Axl to take ten years to make an album makes no sense to me. Judging by the amount of downloading of IRS (which by the way goes? directly against Axls's wishes),? people are lying when they say they are content to sit and wait for when Axl is finally ready to give his fans something. Even his die hard supporters have been taking anything that floats their direction and who can blame them for that?

I remember those arguments that 'Will you download a CD leak?' and some fanatics kept telling that they wouldn't download it, even if it isn't ever released... cause they only want to hear the result Axl completely satisfied with... Now the same people hail this leak...  confused

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Intercourse
Banned
Rocker

BED WETTER

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2005, 01:15:15 PM »

Intercourse & Naupis, those were some of the most clear headed & rational posts I've seen here in a long time.  beer

Cheers Providman!! The thing is I am just a tired, frustrated fan like all the rest. I love music and the simple fact is that nothing has really floated my boat except GNR, VR in a long time. I think blame lies on both sides for the demise of the band and to say 'Axl is an asshole' or 'Duff was a junkie' is just not fair to either party.
I am looking forward to the new band getting out there, I may not like certain aspects of their look etc but it's the music I'm really after.
I think from all the info gathered on what was/is going on with the band its just time for Axl to shit or leave the pot.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2005, 09:45:55 AM »

"shit or leave the pot"

rofl

Why, does someone else own the pot?
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2005, 11:58:01 AM »

"shit or leave the pot"

rofl

yeh....4 other people actually co-owned it

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2005, 01:15:39 PM »

"shit or leave the pot"

rofl

so these 4 people that you allege are waiting to use the pot?

last i recall these 4 people went on to produce their own shit in their own pots.
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2005, 01:23:25 PM »

"shit or leave the pot"

rofl

last i recall these 4 people went on to produce their own shit in their own pots.

Im sure if you check that these people still have a monitary an emotional interest in 'the pot'

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2005, 02:43:01 PM »

"shit or leave the pot"

rofl

Im sure if you check that these people still have a monitary an emotional interest in 'the pot'

Intercourse's reference, it's time to shit or leave the pot, was in reference to the release of CD

The time Axl takes to release of CD is of no concern to the 4 people who you say once 'co-owned' the pot.   The release of CD has nothing to do with the old band members.  And whilst they may be receiving residual monetary benefits from having once beein in GN'R they have no monetary claim or investment (emotional or otherwise)  in the release of CD.   As I already said, they have gone on to their own pots and produced their own shit.  How long Axl 'sits on the pot' has NOTHING to do with them.... they do not have any say or right about it and you have no point.

If GN'R is the pot, it's his pot... It's his time... It's his life... He can 'sit on' it indefinitley.
No one is forcing you to stand outside sniffing at the door waiting for him to drop CD.
MetaSouL
Opening Act

Just like missionaries...real-time visionaries.

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2005, 02:52:07 PM »

If GN'R is the pot, it's his pot... It's his time... It's his life... He can 'sit on' it indefinitley.
No one is forcing you to stand outside sniffing at the door waiting for him to drop CD.

*plop*

reminds me of when Eddie Murphy reminded an audiance that Elvis could stick a mike up his ass and fart, throw it on a record and have the fans say, "god damn, that was the best saltine i ever had!!!!"
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2005, 03:14:49 PM »

*plop*

reminds me of when Eddie Murphy reminded an audiance that Elvis could stick a mike up his ass and fart, throw it on a record and have the fans say, "god damn, that was the best saltine i ever had!!!!"

So true. Some people here have the same attitude.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2005, 04:25:08 PM »

Hey, I didn't initiate the "shit or leave the pot' analogy... I only expounded on it.
Intercourse was not in any way refering to the upcoming material as (potentiall) being of 'shit' quality.

so to get back on topic... before this thread produces further bathroom humour...

Q: Let's get the big question out of the way first. What's going on with the Guns N' Roses album "Chinese Democracy"?

A: You know what? You probably know more than I would. I really have no idea......
Q: Do you even want to hear it?
A: Not particularly. But I wish they would get it out after all this time..

He doesn't particularly want to hear it but wishes they would 'get it out'??   confused
but hey, whatever - for that matter really don't care what he thinks about a process he is not involved in anyway.  Roll Eyes

....And someone said that Appetite was not worked on too much. Well I think people in the studio worked hard to make it sound like it was not worked on too much, to give it that "raw" feeling.

I almost missed this.  This is exactly what Axl talked about in the quote from the article that I posted earlier in this thread.  ok
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2005, 04:31:30 PM »

....And someone said that Appetite was not worked on too much. Well I think people in the studio worked hard to make it sound like it was not worked on too much, to give it that "raw" feeling.

Regardless, it took around 2 months to record I think I remember reading. Even if it was 6, there is no way that CD will be 2000% better than Appetite, which is roughly the extra amount of time it has taken to record this album. It just goes to show that time is no barometer of how good something will sound, when the bands best work ever was done in the shortest amount of time.....whether they were trying to capture the raw feeling or not.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2005, 05:34:29 PM »

It just goes to show that time is no barometer of how good something will sound, when the bands best work ever was done in the shortest amount of time.....whether they were trying to capture the raw feeling or not.

that is the true.  therefore why is the amount of time in question?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: