Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:31:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Duff comments on CD!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff comments on CD!!  (Read 13179 times)
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2005, 03:41:12 PM »

a neverending journey with no conclusion= life

I think that you will find that most peoples lives consist of many conclusions and the other aspects abandoned...not too many things during that journey never reach some form of conclusion or closure.
Especially when something like making CD is a major aspect of Axl's journey.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
WanaBGunner
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2005, 03:59:32 PM »

Roll Eyes

It depends on where your goals are.

When the goal is perfection in a subjective artistic medium, the goal becomes more important than the art itself, a neverending journey with no conclusion.

Nice point.

Well you could say that if u want to impress people who arnt very smart.
Never ending with no conclusion is right, thats why it will never come out. And theres a fine line between perfection and stupidity. And I think Axl crossed this line long ago.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2005, 04:39:53 PM »

You see what Axl had to deal and work with? Like I said he and slash like to half ass songs, Axl likes to work on them. Yes Axl likes to fuck with them for too long, but in guns there was a happy medium.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2005, 04:57:28 PM »

You see what Axl had to deal and work with?

On the other hand, general consensus thinks, "You see what both the new band and old band have/had to deal and work with?"

2 sides to every coin..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2005, 05:12:26 PM »

You see what Axl had to deal and work with? Like I said he and slash like to half ass songs, Axl likes to work on them. Yes Axl likes to fuck with them for too long, but in guns there was a happy medium.

LOL, listen to Slash's records, the songs have much more creativity than Axl's 'small guns'. BTW if 10+ years weren't enough for Axl to make a 'not half-ass' record, than he'll never have enough time for that. Hell, Beatles' career was shorter than the history of Nu-GN'R.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
darkmonth
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2005, 05:20:32 PM »

As we all know, NONE of Appetite for Destruction was worked over to much... they were essentially, if we use what you just said as a measurement, half assed.  But they're the best thing in rock.

I'm sorry but the time spent on a song has NOTHING to do with the quality of that song.  At the end of the day, if a song is shit, it's shit.  If it's ace, it's ace.  Spending another year working with the song ain't gonna make it ace, if it starts as a peice of shit.
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2005, 05:35:35 PM »

Yes Axl likes to fuck with them for too long, but in guns there was a happy medium.

Bingo. It very, very easy to lose objectivity on something when you spend long amounts of time very close to it. And without someone there that you trust and consider to be of equal opinion to pull you back and say 'hey, its time to let it go', you have the potential to just deliberate over it forever while you consider every possible way of attacking it. All the while never attacking anything. Not that we know of anyone guilty of that. hihi

I have absolute faith in the quality of the songs being there for the finished product. My fear is overproduction, and polishing everything to the point where  its amazing but lacking in those little extra sqeaks and scrapes and noises that make you fall in love with music. Anyone remember Megadeth's 'Countdown To Extinction'? Another great album that was pro-tools'd to death and so anal in its sterility and perfection that it was hard to enjoy.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2005, 07:21:06 PM »

The goals of the old band members and Axl became too different for them to coexist.  Duff, Slash, and Izzy are old school rockers who just want to have fun and make music.  Axl is a perfectionist who's dead set on making some epic masterpiece of an album.  That doesn't make anyone right or wrong, it's just a difference in philosophy.  As davegnfnr2k said, there was a happy medium between these factions at first but it became too strained and ultimately the differences were too great to overcome.  Without Axl, Slash has released a couple of substandard albums with the Snakepit, Duff did nothing worth noting, and they teamed up with Sorum and Weiland to make a good hard rock album.  Without the rest of the group, Axl juggled different lineups for the new band and once he was set, has slaved away for years in the studio searching for perfection.

If nothing else, the few new GnR songs we've heard have been more inspired and interesting than anything that we've heard from Duff or Slash since the band broke up at least in my opinion. 
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2005, 07:50:04 PM »

The goals of the old band members and Axl became too different for them to coexist.  Duff, Slash, and Izzy are old school rockers who just want to have fun and make music.  Axl is a perfectionist who's dead set on making some epic masterpiece of an album.  That doesn't make anyone right or wrong, it's just a difference in philosophy.  As davegnfnr2k said, there was a happy medium between these factions at first but it became too strained and ultimately the differences were too great to overcome.  Without Axl, Slash has released a couple of substandard albums with the Snakepit, Duff did nothing worth noting, and they teamed up with Sorum and Weiland to make a good hard rock album.  Without the rest of the group, Axl juggled different lineups for the new band and once he was set, has slaved away for years in the studio searching for perfection.

If nothing else, the few new GnR songs we've heard have been more inspired and interesting than anything that we've heard from Duff or Slash since the band broke up at least in my opinion. 
thats a great post

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2005, 08:02:05 PM »

If nothing else, the few new GnR songs we've heard have been more inspired and interesting than anything that we've heard from Duff or Slash since the band broke up at least in my opinion.?

Answer me this, how in the hell do you measure inspiration?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
estranged.1098
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2005, 08:05:14 PM »

LOL, listen to Slash's records, the songs have much more creativity than Axl's 'small guns'. BTW if 10+ years weren't enough for Axl to make a 'not half-ass' record, than he'll never have enough time for that. Hell, Beatles' career was shorter than the history of Nu-GN'R.

Please:
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?board=15.0
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2005, 08:23:13 PM »

As we all know, NONE of Appetite for Destruction was worked over to much... they were essentially, if we use what you just said as a measurement, half assed.? But they're the best thing in rock.

I'm sorry but the time spent on a song has NOTHING to do with the quality of that song.? At the end of the day, if a song is shit, it's shit.? If it's ace, it's ace.? Spending another year working with the song ain't gonna make it ace, if it starts as a peice of shit.

Ozzycat, here's where I disagree with you.  Have you heard some of the demos for Appetite songs???  Holy jesus, some of them are almost unlistenable.  "My Way, Your Way" comes to mind.  So no, if it's "aces" it's not always "aces."  You've got to develop these songs.  That's why I'm so f'in pumped for a true recording of IRS, why?  Because in this demo stage, I love the song!  Just remember, AFD and the UYI's didn't happen over night. 

Cool

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2005, 08:32:03 PM »

Answer me this, how in the hell do you measure inspiration?

What I mean by inspired is this.  The new Guns N Roses songs like them or not sound as though the group members are striving to be something more than run of the mill work, by the numbers work.  The Blues, Madagascar and Chinese Democracy are not just average rock songs that sound like they've been churned out without much thought or effort.  On the other hand, a lot of the music that Slash and Duff have produced since leaving the band particularly the Snakepit albums sound very run of the mill, there's nothing about the music that stands out as distinct or inspired.

Velvet Revolver to their credit seems more inspired than the other post-GnR work.  It's a good hard rock album and a hell of a lot better than most rock today.  But I still don't find it that interesting of an album. 
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2005, 08:36:18 PM »

Axl took his time with November Rain and Estranged; worked on it until the final project reflected his vision. I am confident that the time he has invested will be well spent.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2005, 08:46:30 PM »

Axl took his time with November Rain and Estranged; worked on it until the final project reflected his vision. I am confident that the time he has invested will be well spent.

Hey, if that kind of stuff is what you enjoy, good for you.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2005, 11:57:12 PM »

Hey, if that kind of stuff is what you enjoy, good for you.

thanks, I will. And yes....Good for me.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2005, 12:56:20 AM »

Some of you guys get bent real easy....
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2005, 04:31:06 PM »

LOL, listen to Slash's records, the songs have much more creativity than Axl's 'small guns'.

Is that right? I guess it's all relative...

Saying Be The Ball or Good To Be Alive have "more creativity" than Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, The Blues, or even IRS, is an opinion you're entitled to but I'm not sure it's shared by most GN'R fans.

As for Duff comments, maybe it explains why I've got a hard time with many VR and solo songs.

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2005, 04:58:41 PM »

LOL, listen to Slash's records, the songs have much more creativity than Axl's 'small guns'.

Is that right? I guess it's all relative...

Saying Be The Ball or Good To Be Alive have "more creativity" than Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, The Blues, or even IRS, is an opinion you're entitled to but I'm not sure it's shared by most GN'R fans.

For sure. Listen to the riffs of GTBA (not the opening Gilby thing)... Or Be the Ball.. it's one of the greatest riffs I've ever heard and before some asshole turns in and says something stupid as the usually do I can assure everyone that I've heard a lot of riffs...

CD and IRS are really simple songs. Those who were complaining that Contraband had two simple songs didn't notice that these two are even much more simple... and I still can't see so much creativity in The Blues (although I like the solo and the bass), but Madagascar has some interesting moments but unforunately not the guitar parts. To tell the truth I can't find Nu-GN'R's music interesting, only Axl's vocal melodies, which are quite great (with the exception of Silkworms and Rhiad).

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2005, 05:57:22 PM »

For sure. Listen to the riffs of GTBA (not the opening Gilby thing)... Or Be the Ball.. it's one of the greatest riffs I've ever heard

I did. Sorry I didn't think they were that great. I don't really like Slash's work outside GN'R (even though his work with VR is a bit better I think). It just shows how tastes can be different! Wink

CD and IRS are really simple songs.

Sure, but even though they're simple songs, it doesn't mean they are not good, or not inspired. It's So Easy is pretty simple, same thing with Don't Cry, it doesn't mean they're not good. My main grief toward Contraband is that it didn't make me feel anything, and music has got to make me feel something in order for me to like it. I don't really criticize the fact that their songs are simple or whatever. I gotta admit I'm not a big fan of Weiland's vocals and lyrics but I think there are some good ideas on their CD.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: