Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 01:07:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228118 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dual Disks (DD). Why Chinese Democracy Should Release In This Format
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dual Disks (DD). Why Chinese Democracy Should Release In This Format  (Read 6446 times)
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« on: April 16, 2005, 03:44:59 PM »

One side is a regular CD, and the other side is a DVD for digital 5.1 audio. This is a new really cool technology that artists are slowly starting to support. There has been pretty much crap released in this format, but that is all about to change in May.

Specifically May 3rd when NIN album, With Teeth is released. Artists are rereleasing many albums in this format, so maybe I shouldn't have said crap earlier. There just hasn't been a new album supporting this that is of any significance. VRR have (or are) releasing a DD version of Contraband for instance. And Downward Spiral was rereleased on a DD too.

But what makes the new NIN, With Teeth, so cool, is that it is among the first albums to be solely recorded in a digital 5.1 sound field. Its not like other albums that are being remastered. That makes sense? Its a pretty important album because of this, and sound wise, should be very impressive (assuming you have a kick ass 5.1 set-up).

Chinese Democracy should support this as well. Its not mearly a trend, as 5.1 for DVDs aren't trends. SACD and DVD audio are clearly more immersive then a prehistoric surround stereo CD.

Axl being a NIN fan clearly is well aware of Dual Disks. Chinese Democracy would be that much more state of the art technologically, and be that much more kick ass if it was released and godwillingly recorded in 5.1 like With Teeth.

I know, I know, this would delay CD further. I am hoping Axl is keeping touch with technology. He loved NIN because they were ushering in this newer sound. And this will be the case again this time.

It's like playing a PS2, GameCube, and Xbox, when you could be playing a PS3, Revolution, and Xbox 360.

Its the next generation in technology, and Chinese D should be on the forefront. Better then an album thats sound is dated, technologically,  before its even released.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 03:47:12 PM »

At this point he could put it out on 8-Track and I`d be happy.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Chief
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 03:49:03 PM »

great idea, i hope this happens.. even if not at first, eventually!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 04:52:01 PM »

Bejesus.

By the time Chinese Democracy by Guns n' Roses is released you will be able to download it into you brain via the 'shopping' icon that appears on the left hand side of your vision, provided you have the latest Microsoft chip fitted in your ass.
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 05:01:18 PM »

Bejesus.

download it into you brain via the 'shopping' icon that appears on the left hand side of your vision, provided you have the latest Microsoft chip fitted in your ass.

Haven't laughed so much in a while..jesus, we're going to that era all right..soon.. hihi

Nothing to say
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 05:09:37 PM »

Bejesus.

download it into you brain via the 'shopping' icon that appears on the left hand side of your vision, provided you have the latest Microsoft chip fitted in your ass.

Haven't laughed so much in a while..

me too  rofl

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 05:14:27 PM »

The standard is way to young to be considered for an album of Chinese Democracy's magnitude. 

Well, NIN are using it, and I'm gonna guess it will take some beating with regards to the best album any of us are likely to hear this year. peace

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
GNROSAS
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 05:23:50 PM »

Bejesus.

By the time Chinese Democracy by Guns n' Roses is released you will be able to download it into you brain via the 'shopping' icon that appears on the left hand side of your vision, provided you have the latest Microsoft chip fitted in your ass.

LOL
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 02:07:52 AM »

The standard is way to young to be considered for an album of Chinese Democracy's magnitude.?

Uh what? Have you been to a Best Buy lately dude? Format might be young, but its here, and isnt some gimmick, that may or may not take off. Record companies and retailers are fully endorsing and promoting this format, because they are seeing it as a way to get people to buy the albums rather then downloading (stealing) it.

Not only can the dvd side, have the music in 5.1 (Like with the new NIN), but it can contain special features found on DVDs (footage, videos, behind the scenes, commentary tracks, etc). This along with the ability to also play the cd side of the disk in your car/home cd player at about the same price as a regular CD.

Check out this link to get a better feel for what I'm saying, and read some of the comments and shit. Widescreen and Sound & Vision have some cool articles on this format too. Everything is going in this direction, and Chinese D needs to jump aboard from the start.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7207720/brucespringsteen?pageid=rs.Artistcage&pageregion=triple3

You can also check out amazon for a more complete list of albums, and a cool video for DD.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 02:22:52 AM by Buddha_Master » Logged

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 03:17:27 AM »

At this point he could put it out on 8-Track and I`d be happy.

i said the exact same thing.

id rather have a seperate DVD to be honest, i always scratch the fuck out of my CDS, so id rather they just include a DVD seperately

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 05:51:30 AM »

Judas Priest used that technology on Angel of Retribution-and thats the reason I downloaded the album RATHER THAN BOUGHT IT.

Consider this-You've already got to worry about scratching a cd and it no longer working.  Imagine a double sided cd-you scratch one side of it, and you have to replace it.  I'd much prefer artwork on one side of my disc, and a bonus dvd thrown in.  Shit, it only costs about 3 cents to press a disc anyway.

Also-some cd players wont play dueldiscs, as the plastic is too thick.

11/17/02 Mark of the Quad Cities
11/27/06 Rosemont Horizon
2/19/2012 House of Blues Chicago
7/1/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
7/3/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
10/13/2019 Exit 111 Festival
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 05:41:10 PM »

Just what we need, more reasons for them to go back and do more mixing and 'final touches'.

And the only people that look at Chinese Democracy as a release of any magnitude is us GnR fans. Honestly, it might be a nice addition, and a way to add more selling value to the album. Once the rabid do or die gnr fans pick it up expect sales to become very average.
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 06:48:21 PM »

Judas Priest used that technology on Angel of Retribution-and thats the reason I downloaded the album RATHER THAN BOUGHT IT.

Consider this-You've already got to worry about scratching a cd and it no longer working.  Imagine a double sided cd-you scratch one side of it, and you have to replace it.  I'd much prefer artwork on one side of my disc, and a bonus dvd thrown in.  Shit, it only costs about 3 cents to press a disc anyway.

Also-some cd players wont play dueldiscs, as the plastic is too thick.

i was just about to say that.. Brides of Destruction's Here come the Brides is on a dual disc. i've only had it for a month and half and its already scratched to shit.. the dvd side at least..

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
AXL DEMOCRACY
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 07:11:16 PM »

If I had to choose between DD or a DVD included with my copy of C.D. I'd take the DVD - as long as it was the 0.1.01.01 Vegas show.

"The art comes first.  It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically." - W. Axl Rose
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 09:43:11 PM »

Bejesus.

lmao

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 01:01:41 AM »

I think my problem is that GNR, of all bands, have the releases that took no time and money before they were wrapped and put onto shelves. While every band has released 5.1 music dvds, GNR release the joke that is WTTV, and the Tokyo DVDs. They suck cock, and are an insult to GNR. GNR should be given the full treatment just like everyone else, but their not.

So what happens now. Does GNR continue to produce bare boned amateur dvds? Or do they get with the program.

With everything that is seen from them at Best Buy, Chinese Democracy, the album that took 7+ years and $13 million, will release as a single CD release.

To be honest with you. I don't really care if you think DD is a good format or not. I am not even sure if I like. But I do like digital 5.1. If any of the GNR albums rereleased on DVD audio, I would be the first in line to get them.  I love that shit. More and more people are waking up and hooking their pads up with some sweet settups. DVDs are huge today, and people are getting with the program. Blu-Ray/HDDVD only reinforce this.

Shit I would be fucking thrilled if GNR released a DVD proper like.But shelf space is being made today to make room for Dual Disk releases. It is exciting a lot of people in ways that albums with an included dvd never did. Its the latest cool technology thing.

Guns N' Roses, whenever CD arrives, needs to get with the program.

To answer some questions I saw.

-NIN will release With Teeth, as a regular CD as well.

-Dual Disks are selling for $13.99, about the same price as regular CDs.

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 02:32:32 PM »

first off 5.1 surround is awesome...  yes definitely would want CD in this format  ok
i don't know anything about dvd audio but if its not something that can play on all cd players it should be offered only as an option so that it doesn't hurt sales if it won't play on all cd player (so have the 'regular cd format' available at the retailers (best buy, etc.)  AND then the dvd format available to order on line along with the regular cd format
as far as having dvd extras on the flip side of the audio - hey if its all for the same price? that's great - though yeah IF for the same price you can just get a cd AND a dvd in the same package i'd probably prefer that
about the comments about your cd getting scratched - aren't you allowed to burn a back up copy of a cd once you buy/own it...
then you can keep the original cd in its package safe from scratching and play the burned cd (which is supposed to be the same quality)
don't know how this would work though if the cd is made so that a copy can't be burned from it -- but you should be able to burn a copy for yourself legally if you have purchased it

i like the idea of the cd coming out with the best sound technology available - such as 5.1 surround
and yes - any dvd needs to have 5.1 surround as well (the welcome to the videos dvd release was NOT even decent audio quality - much less 5.1)
i did not purchase the us release of the illusions dvd because i already had purchased the import - the import IS in 5.1 and sounds way better than the welcome to the videos dvd that was released by geffen

and for the record (pun intended  Grin)... i'd love to see a limited release of CD on vinyl...  would make a great collector's item/novelty and i would get it JUST for the larger artwork  ok
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 02:36:31 PM »

There was actually a discussion, although it be a strange one, about how GNR might be waiting on or producing some kinda new listening technology, but it's silly. More and more albums are coming out as a DD release, like Judas Priests new album, 'Angel of Retribution'. It's a good format, though I'm not too much of an audiophile...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 02:24:19 PM »

Alright. After thoroughly taking in the Dual Disc format last night for the first time, with the repeated listenings to the new NIN's "With Teeth," I honestly am blown away by the sound quality of this album. The Audio of the Dolby Digital version laughs at the regular CD. I know that "With Teeth" was recorded in 5.1 to begin with, so the DVD side is the way the album is meant to be heard, which accounts for it sounding better then even the other DVD audio disks I own (which are all remixed and remastered to take advantage of 5.1 but weren't created in that soundstage).

What I am saying is, is that it has exceeded my own expectations and anticipations. I really hope you get a chance to experience this in this way as I am. Listening to the regular CD side at work or in my car is strange sounding now. The differences between the two are startling. Its night and day, leaps and bounds (or whatever lame ass cliche that all say the same and get my point across).

I really REALLY hope artists begin recording their albums in 5.1 now that the road has been paved. The quality of the audio is so much better here and just one listen of "With Teeth" dual disc in a digital 5.1 surround settup, is all that is needed to make believers. Its an awesome effort.

I am convinced now that Chinese Democracy, unlike all previous GNR releases, needs to be 5.1 from the get go (whether being Dual Disc or a seperate included DVD). I may be becomming an audiophile but for an album to have taken as long as it has, to not take advantage of technology and release on stereo only, is as sad as it is lame. I want to hear this sure to be masterpiece proper like.

yea fucking yea "I wouldn't give a shit if CD was only released on 8-track." I am glad those with this mentality are enjoying their black and white tv's with a knob control, Beta Max machines, and pong.

HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 03:10:06 PM »

What is the major difference maker between stereo cd and 5.1 dolby? Is it the increased soundstage or the clarity due to the differing compression techniques? If dual disc offers an obvious leap forward in sound quality then I'd be inclined to support releasing a DD, but if there isn't a huge difference in clarity and if remixing stereo doesn't make the same impact as music recorded specifically for the format then I don't see the benefit in adapting this particular album to dual disc.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: