Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 05:17:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Im getting aggravated at GNR fans
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Im getting aggravated at GNR fans  (Read 17365 times)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005, 12:03:29 PM »

It's pointless to compare old GNR with new GNR....

what's the phrase, apples to oranges...

I know but it's gonna happen. Eg. The Blues sounds like NR, Maddy sounds like estranged, IRS is like ycbm.

VR is always compared w/ old GnR too because thats what we wanna hear. What we've heard before. "Slash wrote the music for SCOM, will he do a similar solo again?"

Whenever we hear a new track our brains immediately compare it to something we are familiar with. Its not just with GnR either, when you hear a new band you think, "OK who does this band remind me of"

Krispy Kreme
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2005, 12:16:59 PM »

Like I said before the ?new songs are just as good if not better than the old songs IMO. ?Here is how I see the new songs comparing to the old.

Madagascar is on par with SCOM. Madagascar IMO is one of the best gnr songs ever top 10.
The blues is on par patience or don't cry.
CD is on par with something like out to get me, my michelle etc.
IRS is on par with YCMB.
Oh my god is just as good as stuff like double talkin jive, 14 years, dust n bones.
Riyadh is on par with stuff like bad obession or pretty tied up.
Silkworms is near the bottom but id take it over stuff like anything goes, garden of eden and songs like that.

You missed April 1st by a few weeks, but it's a good joke anyway.

rofl
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 12:17:30 PM »

I would say The Blues is more along the lines of a Dont ?Cry. And Maddy is like Estranged but different. Of the new songs, I wouldnt be able to attatch MAddy to any other old song. Simply because its something GNr really hasnt done before.

I agree IRS is like YCBM

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2005, 12:21:56 PM »

Can we stop with this lame ass excuse already? Even if Axl renamed the band he would still get the same attention and crtisism in regards to what he does witht he music. People would still say "hes nothing w/out Slash", these songs suck, etc.

The comparisons would not be nearly as bad. Would be still compare, absolutely. They do with the guys in VR as well. But it is not nearly as intense as it would be if they were calling themselves GNR or STP. Just as people would compare Axl's work to old GNR stuff, but not nearly as intensely as they are going to when he calls his band GNR. You know that as well as I do.

D was complaining about how GNR fans and the publc can't let go of the comparrisons between new and old GNR. I was just pointing out that is a problem created by the name, not lack of support for the new band. You just have to be realistic about it. Like I said, Paul McCartney's solo work was judged for what it was, and somewhat against the Beattles stuff. Had he toured and released albums under the Beattles name, people would not have been so open minded. That is just the nature of the beast when touring and releasing albums under the name of an established act.

Hypothetical for you. If VR had released Contraband as STP instead of VR, don't you think the public and media would have been more cynical than they are even though the material would be exactly the same? They would have roasted them. Instead of comparing the music against their past bands, they would have harped on how it is not STP, and there is something missing from those guys pretending their STP. They bypassed all of that potential conflict by just not calling it that.

There is nothing wrong with carrying on the GNR banner, but you have to know ahead of time these are the problems you are going to continue being up against when choosing this path. Doesn't make it wrong, but don't act surprised or pissed when people react negatively because of the name issue and their expectations of what GNR should sound like.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2005, 12:23:45 PM »

All the new songs r gr8. Silkworms can b betta with a litl more rok. ok 4 testing. evrything else is gd.i agree

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005, 01:10:18 PM »

I think all the dumbfucks who dont like the new guns n roses aren't really what a gnr fan is today.  they're fans of the old band or just $lash or VaginaR and should fuck off the face of the guns boards  beer
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2005, 01:19:55 PM »

Oh my god is just as good as stuff like double talkin jive, 14 years, dust n bones.
Huh? Huh? Huh

Chinese Democracy and IRS are great, better than some old songs

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
wadey
Legend

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 01:24:51 PM »

I think all the dumbfucks who dont like the new guns n roses aren't really what a gnr fan is today.? they're fans of the old band or just $lash or VaginaR and should fuck off the face of the guns boards? beer

And ill second that......DUMBFUCKS! ok

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
AxlGunner
VIP

Ryu says: I am NOT a llama!

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 01:38:02 PM »

I think all the dumbfucks who dont like the new guns n roses aren't really what a gnr fan is today.? they're fans of the old band or just $lash or VaginaR and should fuck off the face of the guns boards? beer

unfortunately, since the name of the bands are the same, a guns n roses board applies equally to fans of the old band and the new band.

by the way- i think its fair to say you dislike the old band's songs? you must based on your argument.

ps- can this please be moved to the dead horse section or something??  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 01:41:27 PM by AxlGunner » Logged

now you know me better
jgfnsr
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2005, 02:07:01 PM »

One thing that keeps pissin me off around here is the negativity.

Its like no matter what the fuck Axl releases it will never be better than the old shit.

why u ask? simply cause people have grown up with the old stuff all these years and no matter how good something that GNR puts out is, the old stuff is so sacred to so many that a lot of people will never allow the new stuff to be better.

I know music is subjective and opinions dont count, but its like i see people ripping apart "The Blues,Maddy and now IRS and it truly pisses me off.

When CD is released, even if it is 100 times better than AFD, there will be those who will never give it credit and will shit on it regardless because Appetite has this illusion around it of being insurmountable.

Maddy will always have the MLK quotes even though those are only a small percentage of the quotes in the song, the quotes piece together in a totally new innovative way of songwriting and storytelling, but Axl gets no credit for being innovative cause people cant see past the MLK shit.

IRS,Maddy and The Blues are right there with any other GNR song ever released in my opinion.

I get as excited hearing IRS *even with shit quality* as i have any other GNR song ever released, that included WTTJ,PC,SCOM,NR, whatever.

open your minds those who refuse to embrace what Axl is doing and enjoy being a GNR fan, everyone has a right to their own opinion but give it a fair chance.
i know i had to listen to Contraband 5 times before i liked over 5 songs, so give Axl that same respect
great music isnt easily digestible sometimes and it takes multiple listens to get.

so what do u say?

Yeah there are A LOT of people of that mindset. 

Many of them are more fans of a certain album, almost always Appetite for Destruction, than they are of Guns N' Roses.

Why those particular ones still hang around 18 years after the fact has always bewildered me.

AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2005, 02:18:51 PM »

the people bashing the MLK quotes on madagascar are racists.

Fuck'em.

peace
Police an' niggers,
That's right! Get outta my way,
Don't need to buy none of your gold chains today

Immigrants an' faggots?!
They make no sense to me
They come to our country,
An' think they'll do as they please,
Like start some mini-Iran,
Or spread some fuckin' disease!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2005, 02:57:16 PM »

Fuck'em.

peace
Police an' niggers,

Immigrants an' faggots?!
They make no sense to me

Good tune!! Probably my favorite, but, I think the lyrics are intended as generalizations of indiviuals, not necessarily racism, hence the title of the track, "One In A Million", yeah thats what you are, One In A Million, your a shooting star. (Your not like everybody else, your different)

But at the same time the majority of GnR listeners at the time were close-minded, young, angry, white males, so even though they didn't understand the lyrics, they still appealed to them.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2005, 03:18:48 PM »

Fuck'em.

peace
Police an' niggers,

Immigrants an' faggots?!
They make no sense to me

Good tune!! Probably my favorite, but, I think the lyrics are intended as generalizations of indiviuals, not necessarily racism, hence the title of the track, "One In A Million", yeah thats what you are, One In A Million, your a shooting star. (Your not like everybody else, your different)

But at the same time the majority of GnR listeners at the time were close-minded, young, angry, white males, so even though they didn't understand the lyrics, they still appealed to them.
I agree Neemo.
I don't think One In a Million proves axl is racist. at all.How many times have I thought something like Fuckin Moroccans get out of my way ? and yet my best friend is a moroccan and I have no problem with him, his religion or his culture, Just because some scum happens to be black doesnt mean all black people are scum.
it goes the same way for rednecks, hicks, spicks, etc.
And if you like that song because you think it's cool to hate black people, then you're a racist. and FUCK YOU.
 Kiss

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2005, 03:19:20 PM »

I'm not accusing Axl of racsim (that I would accuse him of blatantly trying to stir up controversy to sell more records is beside the point). I simply say those lyrics are why people knock him for using Martin Luther King quotes, not because they're racists.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2005, 03:25:44 PM »

I'm not accusing Axl of racsim (that I would accuse him of blatantly trying to stir up controversy to sell more records is beside the point). I simply say those lyrics are why people knock him for using Martin Luther King quotes, not because they're racists.

care to elaborate a little more on that? cause I don't see how people would knock axl for not being racist on two songs.
I could understand if some people bashed Axl because he changed from a racist to a non racist. But that's not the case. Only people who want Axl to be a racist because they think he is cool like that would think Axl changed into a black lover. Tongue

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2005, 03:45:02 PM »

I think all the dumbfucks who dont like the new guns n roses aren't really what a gnr fan is today.  they're fans of the old band or just $lash or VaginaR and should fuck off the face of the guns boards  beer

unfortunately, since the name of the bands are the same, a guns n roses board applies equally to fans of the old band and the new band.

by the way- i think its fair to say you dislike the old band's songs? you must based on your argument.

ps- can this please be moved to the dead horse section or something??  Roll Eyes
i'm a fan of both.  but i see no reason to live in the past.  of course i love the old songs.  but my point is if you aren't all about the band NOW, you aren't really a GnR fan, just a fan of the old gnr.  We should be supporting the band but with all the $lash only fans n shit bringing everyone down it just blows Sad 

i dont go to velvet revolver boards and bash $lash, so why would VR fans who dont even like the new gnr come to a gnr board and bash axl or robin.
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2005, 03:45:38 PM »

Because some people think it's rather hypocritical to use Martin Luther King when you have in the past written a song telling 'police and niggers' to get out of your way and saying that 'immigrants and faggots' are only in your country to do as they please and spread HIV/AIDs.

EDIT - This is in response to Woody's post, not Jim Bob's. peace
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 03:48:08 PM by AxemanOnFire » Logged
sandman
Legend

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2005, 04:00:29 PM »

this discussion reminds me of the political discussions in the jungle section.

you have your far left wingers (axl supporters):

- already have their minds made up that CD is better than AFD;
- 7 years is normal when you're making music as complex as silkworms;
- CC is to blame for axl not showing up in philly;
- and vancouver;
- any guitartist that axl adds to the band is better than slash;
- horrible quality demos by the new band are just as good as anything from appetite.

far right wingers (axl bashers):

- they no doubt will say CD is not as good as AFD;
- slash is the greatest guitarist on earth;
- axl doesn't have his voice anymore;
- axl owes his fans an album;
- izzy made AFD great.

BOTH of these groups annoy the hell out of me!!

but then you have the independants - people like myself that look at things with an open mind. i just hope cd comes out someday and that it's a great album, and that i get to see them in concert a few more times. ?

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
sandman
Legend

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2005, 04:02:51 PM »

ps- can this please be moved to the dead horse section or something??? Roll Eyes
i'm a fan of both.? but i see no reason to live in the past.? of course i love the old songs.? but my point is if you aren't all about the band NOW, you aren't really a GnR fan, just a fan of the old gnr.? We should be supporting the band but with all the $lash only fans n shit bringing everyone down it just blows Sad?

i dont go to velvet revolver boards and bash $lash, so why would VR fans who dont even like the new gnr come to a gnr board and bash axl or robin.

a TRUE fan of any band wouldn't try to define what being a fan means. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
shaved
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2005, 04:08:10 PM »

My mother tells me that she is going to make me a great feast. ?I love my mothers' cooking and have been a fan of her meals since I was a wee lad, so I get excited. ?She tells me that the feast is going to be amazing. ?She tells me that she has made over 60 different meals, and is deciding which ones she is going to put on my plate. ?5 years later she is still making the food, refining it, adding spices. ?After a while I get frustrated and hungry as hell, so she gives me a sample of one of the meals.. and its ok. ?I've certainly had better.. but its alright, and since its my mother and I love her, I am going to eat as much of it as I can and tell her that its fantastic. ?I've been hungry for so long, at least its something to eat.

I just expected a better meal considering how long its been in the oven.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: