Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:35:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Westerberg dissis Axl
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Westerberg dissis Axl  (Read 8023 times)
RichardNixon
« on: April 14, 2005, 11:15:55 PM »

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/music/mmx-050407-musickot,0,5366876.story?coll=mmx-music_features

On working with Tommy Stinson: "Tommy, [drummer] Josh Freese and I cut the opening song for the animated movie. It was fun, but it felt a little weird too, because he and I hadn't seen each other in about eight years. We were both a little uncomfortable. But I saw him in L.A. again last week, and we went out and hung out a little bit. I've got a few more things going on now, and he's turned a corner where he's realizing there's money to be made. It's a waste of his obvious talent and time hanging around with the other guy [Stinson is a member of Axl Rose's decade-plus-in-the-making Guns N' Roses album]."
Bad_Apple
Rocker

Oh my distorted smile

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 11:26:07 PM »

ah shat ap, Westerberg!  Didn't Tommy release a solo album in the meantime?  And don't u think a part of the reason he had the luxery of making that album was b/c of the $$ and time Axl had g'n him?  And I wonder exactly how many people who bought Tommy's album were gnr fans?  Or those that went to his concerts were gnr fans (myself incl')?  And were introduced to Tommy via knowing him from gnr???
What would have Tommy been doing if he hadn't joined gnr I wonder? (sure he could've made a solo record, but apparently VGH was influenced in some ways by Axl....i.e. Axl encouraged him to be more creative/daring on his solo effort, according to Tommy)

"in a world he did not create, he will go through it as if it were his own making; half man, half beast, I don't know what it is, but its weird and its pissed off and it calls itself Slash"
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 11:28:34 PM »

Being associated with Axl is getting his music noticed, not re-teaming up with Westerberg.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 12:23:33 AM »

Here is something  you can bet on. There are more gnr fans at tommys shows than replacement fans.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 01:30:51 AM »

This is becoming some bizarre love triangle. Paul Westerberg is coming off as the bitter ex who wants to mend his ways while axl is the new exciting love. Much like that south park episode in which Satan questions his relationship with Chris when Saddam comes back to hell.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 05:06:57 AM »

Here is something  you can bet on. There are more gnr fans at tommys shows than replacement fans.

That's entirely untrue.

This is becoming some bizarre love triangle. Paul Westerberg is coming off as the bitter ex who wants to mend his ways while axl is the new exciting love. Much like that south park episode in which Satan questions his relationship with Chris when Saddam comes back to hell.

That, on the other hand, appears very true to me  Grin

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 05:16:39 AM »

WASTE OF TIME?Huh

make an awesome solo album and doing a wonderful solo tour it's not a waste of time neither of talent

westerberg can suck my dog's dick

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 09:30:04 AM »

Being with Axl did afford Stinson some notice and an album.  That being said, come on guys, if Axl doesn't release something soon, it's a waste of TS's time to keep hanging around for years of inactivity.  Sounds like a Replacements reunion is not out of the question.  You see how well bands like the Pixies are doing right now. 
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 09:53:14 AM »

it's a waste of TS's time to keep hanging around for years of inactivity. 

I repeat: solo works are not inactivity

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 10:00:10 AM »

I repeat: solo works are not inactivity

Yeah, he put out a solo album and toured it, now what?  I think he's tried to be loyal to Axl and given him plenty of opportunity to follow through, but with no results.  I don't think it would be that hard for Westerberg to lure him away.  Hey, this does sound like a love triangle.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 10:26:05 AM »

I don't think Westerberg is necessarily a bitter ex, maybe to a degree but not entirely. 

Maybe in his mind, (not saying it's right or wrong) Axl represents everything he hates about music and the industry itself.  Big corporate LA scene 80's schlock.
The absolute opposite of everything The "Mats stood for.  Very much an indie/alterna rock elitist attitude but an attitude that's still very prevelent.

As for more GNR fans being at a Stinson show than "Mats fans, who knows?  There's probably a fair amount of "Mats fans that love Stinson and will support him unconditionally, there's another faction who have left him for dead sheerly on his association with GNR.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 11:38:29 AM »

Here is something? you can bet on. There are more gnr fans at tommys shows than replacement fans.

That's entirely untrue.

Wanna bet on it?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 12:06:32 PM »

Here is something? you can bet on. There are more gnr fans at tommys shows than replacement fans.

That's entirely untrue.

Wanna bet on it?

I dont really see the relevance...If Tommy was in GNR  to get people to his solo shows then he's a leach anyway , If he's in GNR to make and play music then Westerbergs statement that his talent is wasted is 100% correct.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 12:13:45 PM »

That's entirely untrue.

Wanna bet on it?

Bet? I don't have to bet on it, I know it's a fact. Besides, I don't really see how you could prove your point.
Look, I'm not saying there are no GN'R fans at his shows. There are some obviously, and that's very cool for him, because they can be a little more objective and not look at him as "that Replacements dude". But saying there are more GN'R fans than Mats fans at his shows is a huge exaggeration to say the least. Being a fan of both bands and in contact with members of both "camps", I follow that very closely and can assure you that except in Europe, where the Mats are virtually unknown, the biggest part of his audience is people in their mid to late thirties, which is what the Mats fanbase mostly consists of.
As Falcon said, there are indeed people who gave up on him because they feel he betrayed their indie spirit or some other inane shit, but others still go see him just like GN'R fans would go see any ex-GN'R member. You'll always have some drunk guy calling for "Tommy gets his tonsils out". I haven't yet heard of someone calling for a GN'R tune old or new, unless it was sarcastic..
Truth of the matter is, until CD is released, he will always be primarily considered as Westerberg's sidekick.

Now why did I ramble on like that?  Grin

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 12:14:20 PM »

Westerberg is a spoon

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005, 12:56:30 PM »

Truth of the matter is, until CD is released, he will always be primarily considered as Westerberg's sidekick.

There is absolutely no doubt about that.? I'm not sure even the release of CD will ever change that preception.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 12:59:56 PM »

"...It's a waste of his obvious talent and time hanging around with the other guy"

Didn't Tommy imply in some interview for his last round of gigs that he'd consider a reuinon with the Mats' if the money was right---like what they gave to the Pixies? Paul might be a dick, but I really believe that Tommy is exploring other options in case the record doesnt come out this year....and if he bails, well, goodnite GnR.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 01:08:32 PM »

"...It's a waste of his obvious talent and time hanging around with the other guy"

Didn't Tommy imply in some interview for his last round of gigs that he'd consider a reuinon with the Mats' if the money was right---like what they gave to the Pixies? Paul might be a dick, but I really believe that Tommy is exploring other options in case the record doesnt come out this year....and if he bails, well, goodnite GnR.

I remember something like that as well, someone will dig up the quote.

I'm sure all current GNR contributors keep their options open, nothing's a sure thing.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 01:12:54 PM »

Didn't Tommy imply in some interview for his last round of gigs that he'd consider a reuinon with the Mats' if the money was right---like what they gave to the Pixies?

There's no way the Mats will get Pixies type of money.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
jgfnsr
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 02:10:07 PM »

Maybe in his mind, (not saying it's right or wrong) Axl represents everything he hates about music and the industry itself.? Big corporate LA scene 80's schlock.? The absolute opposite of everything The "Mats stood for.? Very much an indie/alterna rock elitist attitude but an attitude that's still very prevelent.

Ironically, the vast majority of those indie/alterna rock bands with the elitist attitude just plain suck.

Go figure.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: