Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 09:21:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slow Sales????
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slow Sales????  (Read 12121 times)
Bad_Apple
Rocker

Oh my distorted smile

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 11:18:07 PM »

I can tell you one reason for the slow sales, and why ticketmaster hasn't taken $200 from my credit card yet; and that's Hoobastank.? Honestly, VR's own drummer publicly sites them as being bad music, and a month or so later he is out on tour with them.? Whatever VR gained in the Hoobastank fan base they lost in VR fans who saw through them, dare I say, "selling out".? What kind of self proclaimed "dangerous and unpredictable rock band" picks an opener who's only hit is The Reason.?

Now I know you don't go to a show for the opener (insert MMM and CKY joke here) but to say that you are something, have your own band member individually call out a band as being a shitty, and then the next thing you know they are asking $50 a ticket for you to go see them and, in case VR can't sell enough tickets on their own, their backup plan Hoobastank (oftly familiar with Metallica going with their backup plan - Godsmack).? I think I read in Rolling Stone last summer that Hooba's lead singer didn't drink, smoke, party, or do anything to raise trouble.? Seems kind of contradicting with a headliner who is "based" on the opposite of that.?

Maybe the reason for my rant is because I love VR's music, but just can't stand this fake image that they are portraying, and mainly that I can't ask my friends if they want to go with me cause they will just laugh at me when I tell them who else is playing.?

Nicely said! VR has 3 Days Grace opening for em in Hamilton ON.......same type of band as hoobastank...comercial crap....who's opening the 2nd leg of the tour?....3 doors down,nickleback?? Roll Eyes?

I agree w/ the above...3 days grace is also SHIT and I'm ashamed that they opened for VR...and I highly doubt VR likes them!  perhaps these opening bands suck bc there aren't that many good rock bands out there to begin w/ (at the moment anyways). (as w/ hobi-stankers, they suck as well, and I also read that interview in R.S. mag, and yeah, they are lame-ohhhs!)

I felt, though, that at Hamilton, they had a lot of fans there, and they filled it out quite nice. IMO, I am quite surprised VR is doing...like come on...these are "mature" rockers....so it's quite impressive, I think anyways Smiley

"in a world he did not create, he will go through it as if it were his own making; half man, half beast, I don't know what it is, but its weird and its pissed off and it calls itself Slash"
RichardNixon
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2005, 01:06:50 AM »

VR should take Garbage on the road w/ them. ok
DeadHorse
Rocker

Where's my cinder block

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 01:53:42 AM »

Based on what I heard and saw, Vr's tour across Canada got bigger as they moved east to west. I went to theMontreal show and it was about 5000 people there. However my buddy's in Edmonton went and they said it was nearly full, so about 13 - 14000. And As mentioned eariler Hamilton had a great turn out as well.

VR had zero promotion in Montreal, at least that's what some of the local people who went to the show told me. As for Ottawa well that I have my opinion on that but I won't say much about it.

I also think their turn single turn around isextremely slow, now this may be the record companies fault I don't know. But I do know that it's been approximately 5 months between the last 2 singles, which I feel personally can only hurt the band.

Rock is no longer the front leader in the music industry and these guys have to stay in the spotlight as much as possible.  Jesus Gwen Stefani released her album in November and has already released 3 videos.

But the American dates seem to be selling well, and, like everybody said a better opening act would definitely help.

On a side note people were talking about how VR used Canadian bands for the Canadian dates. Well there is this one band that I thought would been excellent although they are not well known but kick asss.  They're called and I kid you not,  Crystal Pistol.

Later,

Blair

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, ?To Kill A Mockingbird,? and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2005, 09:05:25 PM »

They should have silvertide open for them again    Wink
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »

VR should take Garbage on the road w/ them. ok

That would be a helluva double bill, the new Garbage record is their best to date.

On a side note, former Janes Addiction member Eric Avery is Garbage's touring bass player these days.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2005, 12:07:40 PM »

Im really surprised that, to my knowledge none of the shows have sold out?? ?Doesnt this surprise anyone else??? I was really thinking the would sell out rather fast... the floor seats whent fast in MN but there are still 5 star packages left also... I wonder how many of them there are?!~?!?!

Lessa

Better seats for you then!! I think part of the reason is because they are touring so much. This will be the 4th time in like 10 months that they played my area.

Exactly, and they do the same set list, or almost the same. Maybe it is over-exposure to a limited amount of music (?)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2005, 12:57:58 PM »

They over saturated the market?

How Spinal Tap....  "We did massive, we saturated, we over saturated."  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2005, 01:56:14 PM »

Silvertide should be the opener.  Nick Perri is the best guitarist since Slash and Zakk Wylde.   Saw them at a very small bar and I was blown away.  I just don't get why they have not caught on either.  If VR and Silvertide aren't big, chances are GNR won't be huge either.  Those days are long gone.  The jump to arenas may have been premature, but oh well, people that are going are having fun, and paying a good bit for tickets.  Next album and latter tours will be much better.  I will see VR next in Detroit on April 30th.  Jarmo, if what VR is doing is Saturation, what the heck would you call what Axl did?  Starvation?

Please advise,

Smoking Guns
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2005, 01:58:56 PM »

Jarmo, if what VR is doing is Saturation, what the heck would you call what Axl did?? Starvation?

Sure, call it what you want, but this has nothing to do with GN'R. Now, if GN'R were opening for a puppet show, you might have a point.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2005, 02:05:09 PM »

Puppet show! Ha, I love it!  I saw GNR at the Palace in Detroit in 02.  The show was amazing (except they didn't play Paradise City) and there was only about 10,000 at the show.  Seats over 20,000.  I hope VR gets at least 10,000.  VR is a visual band that you must see to appreciate.  They will catch on.  How many bands these days are playing bigger shows in support of their first album?  I can't think of one.  That includes AudioSlave.  Kid Rock put some buts in the seats, but not during the first album.  The crowds will get bigger over time.  Just like when GNR goes on tour again.
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2005, 02:38:41 PM »

Ahhhhhh..............good to see i am no alone in the wtf are they doing with hooastank department. just yesterday i had to cringe when asking my friend if he wanted to go to the rockford show & the first thing he asked was '"who's opening?". i told him VR has to have clean bands tour with them so VR doesn't have bad influences backstage. Needless to say, we'll be showing up late to the show.

yes, it is odd that matt & duff seem to always put on this we're still dangerous attitude, then announce hoobastank! as their opening act. I guess money still talks.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2005, 03:40:53 PM »

Silvertide should be the opener.? Nick Perri is the best guitarist since Slash and Zakk Wylde.? ?Saw them at a very small bar and I was blown away.? I just don't get why they have not caught on either.?

Please advise,

Smoking Guns

I dig Silvertide as well, but they've kind of been tagged a poor mans Buckcherry without the success of a "Lit Up".  NIck's a fine player but let's leave the Slash and Zakk comparisons alone, that's just goofy talk.  Gotta pay some dues to get mentioned with that kind of company.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2005, 04:25:48 PM »

You are right. You do have to pay the dues.  But the kid really impressess me and is pretty dam cool.  He is only 19!!!!!!  Actually, you can tell Angus, Slash, and Zakk are big influences to him.  He seems very versitile.  If anyone here has ever heard Brother Cane, that is who Silver Tide reminds me of.  But even Brother Cane had three top 10 rock hits off their debut.  You are right about the poor man buckcherry.  I love Buckcherry as well and wanted Josh Todd in the band.  I think SilverTide's main issue is that the singer has a great voice but he is a major dork.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2005, 10:42:52 PM »

Puppet show! Ha, I love it!? I saw GNR at the Palace in Detroit in 02.? The show was amazing (except they didn't play Paradise City) and there was only about 10,000 at the show.? Seats over 20,000.? I hope VR gets at least 10,000.? VR is a visual band that you must see to appreciate.? They will catch on.? How many bands these days are playing bigger shows in support of their first album?? I can't think of one.? That includes AudioSlave.? Kid Rock put some buts in the seats, but not during the first album.? The crowds will get bigger over time.? Just like when GNR goes on tour again.

I agree. They are amazing live. The word will spread. I would  pay to see them every month  if they came to town!
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2005, 10:37:14 PM »

Puppet show! Ha, I love it!? I saw GNR at the Palace in Detroit in 02.? The show was amazing (except they didn't play Paradise City) and there was only about 10,000 at the show.? Seats over 20,000.? I hope VR gets at least 10,000.? VR is a visual band that you must see to appreciate.? They will catch on.? How many bands these days are playing bigger shows in support of their first album?? I can't think of one.? That includes AudioSlave.? Kid Rock put some buts in the seats, but not during the first album.? The crowds will get bigger over time.? Just like when GNR goes on tour again.

I agree. You know, when my friends  and  I saw VR twice in '04 in small venues, I remarked that it was similar to seeing GNR in '88, before they hit the big time. I still believe it. In a year or two VR will be doing arenas and selling out. For those who take any compliment of VR as an assault on GNR, I do not want to get into the VR vs. GNR or Axl vs Slash argument that has been done ad naseum on this site. I am just saying that  it was an opportunity to see an up and coming band in a small venue for a great price, and that band  will probably go on to do some great things before they are done. VR is destined to become bigger, and that is separate from whatever happens  to GNR and Axl. For the fans, that is a good thing, and we should be  happy.
mike_giuliana
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2005, 12:26:18 PM »

it's pretty simple, vr isn't  a huge band.. They are to big for 2,000 seaters but a little to small for 20,000 seaters so they have to play giigs that are to big for them.. They get about 5-10 k at venues so for a band with no big videos on tv now or any big publicity it's pretty good.. As for hoobastank I am not into them but they need someone who is somewhat popular today to help them play.. You can't just tour with unknowns..
mike_giuliana
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2005, 02:35:06 PM »

As for hoobastank I am not into them but they need someone who is somewhat popular today to help them play.. You can't just tour with unknowns..

it was raining here u know today and maybe my system got a lag.... erm...
in this sentence: "but they need someone who is somewhat popular today to help them play.." can u tell me who are the objects?!
are u sayin that VR need a support band that is more famous than the band vr have got already?!

I'm saying vr is a new band wether they have accomplished players who had massive fame back in the day.. They as in VR need an opening act to help them sell tickets.. Now if the band was called guns n roses or stp they wouldn't need this help, but not everyone knows what or who velvet revolver is.. When axl gets back he won't need much help because the gnr name has a cult following and people will just go see them.. Change that band name to something else and axl would need help himself..

Hoobastank is definetly more mainstream ,they are young somewhat into the popular emo music scene so that helps.. You can't tour with someone too popular or the venue will be filled with more fans of the opening group.. They only have one album and it's not afd so they need some help with arenas right now.. 20,000 a night is no easy thing, only big time groups can sell like that..
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2005, 05:44:11 PM »

I was at the Detroit show.  The floor was sold out.  Bottom level looked sold out.  Upper level had a good bit.  So I am guessing there were over 10,000 there.  That is pretty impressive for a band that only had one album.  They will be huge in 06.
mike_giuliana
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2005, 05:49:31 PM »

that isn't the same, if you are listening to the radio adn someone says velvet revolver is playing a gig you might not know who is in the band, you say gnr is playing the average person thinks well I want to see that, it's great the band is back together..

Only a fool would think the gnr name doesn't carry all the weight and will not only false advertise the new guys but give them extrra clout they wouldn't get with a different name..

Not many people who enjoyed the gnr glory days follow all these details, just like I don't check all the old bands I followed.. I just see metallica, motley crue, megadeth, anthrax or whoever else and already think the band is what the name claims.. I don't go around checking band members so if I went to one of their concerts and saw new guys it would be a suprise to me..

All those people from the 80's-90's who followed gnr in their generation are not so into it now that they are keeping tabs on who is in or who is out.. It's product of your youth, your HS years.. Someone sees GNR is playing they really expect GNR to be there..
Dust N Rose
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2005, 02:19:49 AM »

I just thought that they are really lucky to support sabbath .... that will promote them in a different fan-base. For example they will play with sabbath in greece , which for most of u is just a mediteranean country or whatever but I have to say thou that it has a really dedicated 'metal' fan base, as for example, the new album by priest sold more than anything else in the foreign charts and become number one, which is the first time that priest has done something like this ever!!!? they are really lucky playin with sabbath there... sabbath is an alternate name of metal gods in greece.

I hope that weiland is not gonna wear anything in silver colour.... heh i hope that there wouldnt be any glasses or coins this time on the air.... otherwise if u gonna be there carry an umbrella.

First time Sabbath come to Greece. I've already got my ticket.
Many greeks love Metal, and imagine we're only 10 million people. hihi
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: