Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 08:51:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slow Sales????
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slow Sales????  (Read 12112 times)
LessaKid
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: March 16, 2005, 08:21:44 AM »

Im really surprised that, to my knowledge none of the shows have sold out?   Doesnt this surprise anyone else??  I was really thinking the would sell out rather fast... the floor seats whent fast in MN but there are still 5 star packages left also... I wonder how many of them there are?!~?!?!

Lessa
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 09:28:27 AM »

Im really surprised that, to my knowledge none of the shows have sold out?? ?Doesnt this surprise anyone else??? I was really thinking the would sell out rather fast...

Lessa

Doesn't surprise me in the least, I felt arenas were a bit too ambitious for VR when the tour was announced. 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
RichardNixon
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 10:13:16 AM »

They'd be smart to go on a co-headling tour with someone. Maybe Billy Idol or Wilco.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 11:48:05 AM »

They'd be smart to go on a co-headling tour with someone. Maybe Billy Idol or Wilco.

As much as I've always dug Idol, can't see the VR boys aligning themselves with a perceived nostalgia act. 

As for Wilco, they don't exactly have much arena rock appeal...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 10:21:45 PM »

Should have been Jet, but they chose Oasis cause they are their idols.  Oh well.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 10:30:19 PM »

Should have been Jet, but they chose Oasis cause they are their idols.? Oh well.

I think Oasis is only playing 5 dates in the US so opening for their "idols" (which they've cited as AC/DC, not Oasis) is a non factor.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 12:04:04 AM »

I can tell you one reason for the slow sales, and why ticketmaster hasn't taken $200 from my credit card yet; and that's Hoobastank.  Honestly, VR's own drummer publicly sites them as being bad music, and a month or so later he is out on tour with them.  Whatever VR gained in the Hoobastank fan base they lost in VR fans who saw through them, dare I say, "selling out".  What kind of self proclaimed "dangerous and unpredictable rock band" picks an opener who's only hit is The Reason. 

Now I know you don't go to a show for the opener (insert MMM and CKY joke here) but to say that you are something, have your own band member individually call out a band as being a shitty, and then the next thing you know they are asking $50 a ticket for you to go see them and, in case VR can't sell enough tickets on their own, their backup plan Hoobastank (oftly familiar with Metallica going with their backup plan - Godsmack).  I think I read in Rolling Stone last summer that Hooba's lead singer didn't drink, smoke, party, or do anything to raise trouble.  Seems kind of contradicting with a headliner who is "based" on the opposite of that. 

Maybe the reason for my rant is because I love VR's music, but just can't stand this fake image that they are portraying, and mainly that I can't ask my friends if they want to go with me cause they will just laugh at me when I tell them who else is playing. 

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 12:10:31 AM »

Im really surprised that, to my knowledge none of the shows have sold out?? ?Doesnt this surprise anyone else??? I was really thinking the would sell out rather fast... the floor seats whent fast in MN but there are still 5 star packages left also... I wonder how many of them there are?!~?!?!

Lessa

Better seats for you then!! I think part of the reason is because they are touring so much. This will be the 4th time in like 10 months that they played my area.

Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 04:11:02 AM »

They should go out on the road with Queens Of The Stone Age ok

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 05:22:45 AM »

I give them credit for touring as much as they are. I mean, how many US tour legs have gotten themselves into? They haven't spent that much time in Europe ( they did last year for two months and this year's UK leg) but they've definitely played in every corner in the US.

Now as for the slow ticket sales, it doesn't surprise me either. I knew they were gonna have problems to sell out every gig. It's a big different going from 3,000 to 15,000. I don't how much the tickets are for this leg, but if the info supplied by the other poster is true, $50 for VR is way out of proportion. How much were the ticks for the first US tour leg? $30? Maybe in a few years time and with a few more albums, if VR keeps growing its fan base, an arena tour would be ideal, but right now it's out of their league.
chad_er33
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 01:07:26 PM »

i think they need to stick to venues of 4000 to 8000 peolpe unless they have a good opening act.  one thing that sucks about seeing showis in canada is that you usually get a canadian opening act.  sometimes it's okay but we miss some of the bigger acts that open groups in the u.s.  i peronally would have liked to see disturbed as the opener.  i think that would suit them better.  just my opinion.

chad

peace
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 02:40:21 PM »

i think they need to stick to venues of 4000 to 8000 peolpe unless they have a good opening act.?

chad

peace

Good opening act or not, venue sizes as mentioned above would have been a much better decision.

Keeps the buzz about the show high, creates the perception of a "hot ticket'. 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 03:10:23 PM »

Falcon, AC/DC is very influential to them.  But read their liner notes and you will see how much they like Oasis.  They can't be like AC/DC all the way unless they had the guitar player from Silvertide that can put down some Angus type licks.  Jet is a great band though. 
Narcissa
Back In Black
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 03:21:49 PM »

well, they've just done a tour, and they're starting another one four months later. It's too soon.
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 04:20:38 PM »

they could sell out these arenas if they played together with someone like QOTSA, but not with Hoobastank... it sound fuckin' stupid. Vr with Hoobastank... makes VR sound like some pop rock shit
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 09:03:17 PM »

Falcon, AC/DC is very influential to them.  But read their liner notes and you will see how much they like Oasis.  They can't be like AC/DC all the way unless they had the guitar player from Silvertide that can put down some Angus type licks.  Jet is a great band though. 
What is so good about Jet? Is is the original song writing. Or maybe influencing iggy pop so much, that he had to take every chord and change up from "Are you gonna be my girl" and turn it into "Lust for Life"...It was so good, that He had to go back into time to do it.
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2005, 03:58:07 AM »

Whatever VR gained in the Hoobastank fan base they lost in VR fans who saw through them, dare I say, "selling out".? What kind of self proclaimed "dangerous and unpredictable rock band" picks an opener who's only hit is The Reason.?

well, I felt picking Hoobastank was truly unpredictable.  Wink

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
chad_er33
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2005, 11:31:59 AM »

sales might also be slow for the show in saskatoon because it takes place next sunday (easter).  people might be out of town and such.  hope they put on a good show.

chad

Cheesy
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2005, 04:53:51 AM »

To my knowledge, contraband has sold less than greatest hits, which imo means that their fan base is quite smaller. If Axl didn't manage to sell out arenas in the last tour (besides msg, boston, etc), neither will velvet revolver. Sure they will sell out some, but not on a regular basis.

Only very established acts (u2, the boss, rolling stones.....and gnr in the future with GOOD promotion and a new release in its belt) manage to do so on a regular basis. I wish them my best of course, but I think the arena tour comes a bit early for them.

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2005, 10:51:13 PM »

I can tell you one reason for the slow sales, and why ticketmaster hasn't taken $200 from my credit card yet; and that's Hoobastank.? Honestly, VR's own drummer publicly sites them as being bad music, and a month or so later he is out on tour with them.? Whatever VR gained in the Hoobastank fan base they lost in VR fans who saw through them, dare I say, "selling out".? What kind of self proclaimed "dangerous and unpredictable rock band" picks an opener who's only hit is The Reason.?

Now I know you don't go to a show for the opener (insert MMM and CKY joke here) but to say that you are something, have your own band member individually call out a band as being a shitty, and then the next thing you know they are asking $50 a ticket for you to go see them and, in case VR can't sell enough tickets on their own, their backup plan Hoobastank (oftly familiar with Metallica going with their backup plan - Godsmack).? I think I read in Rolling Stone last summer that Hooba's lead singer didn't drink, smoke, party, or do anything to raise trouble.? Seems kind of contradicting with a headliner who is "based" on the opposite of that.?

Maybe the reason for my rant is because I love VR's music, but just can't stand this fake image that they are portraying, and mainly that I can't ask my friends if they want to go with me cause they will just laugh at me when I tell them who else is playing.?

Nicely said! VR has 3 Days Grace opening for em in Hamilton ON.......same type of band as hoobastank...comercial crap....who's opening the 2nd leg of the tour?....3 doors down,nickleback?  Roll Eyes 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: