Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 06:40:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is this Metallica song about Axl?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this Metallica song about Axl?  (Read 6446 times)
EET_FUK
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2005, 08:01:57 AM »

i think we're giving James way too much credit here....? Tongue

lol...yeah right.  I think it's the other way around...you're not giving James enough credit.  He didn't write a song about Axl...gimmie a break...he's got better things to write about.  He is by far one of the best song writters of the last 20 years.  You think he'd write a song about the cancer that killed his father (Until It Sleeps) and then write about Axl?   hihi  Go ahead and kid yourself then.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2005, 08:16:05 AM »

Been discussed before, the lyrics don't go really deep IMO, pretty vague, could be about any "faded glory" person, or about faded glory in general.
Right. Could be abt anybody. Why Axl?

Fuck 'Em All.
StoneTempleRoses
Rocker

Axl Was Here

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2005, 11:00:09 AM »

Whats a "prima donna" 

StoneTempleRoses

a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2005, 11:48:09 AM »

Whats a "prima donna"?

StoneTempleRoses
PRIMA DONNA: 1 : a principal female singer in an opera or concert organization 2 : an extremely sensitive, vain, or undisciplined person
estranged88
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2005, 12:30:44 PM »

To bad that song sucks and turned out to be more of a parody of metallica than axl if that was their intention smoking

Why do you cook stove top in the oven???
randomfan14
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2005, 04:07:55 PM »

Hey all.  I consider myself to be a pretty knowledgable Metallica fan, and with that in mind I am pretty sure that "Memory Remains" is about a singer named Marianne Faithful.  Faithful actually sings on the track.  She is the "na na na na nanana naaaaa... na na na na na na na sound.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2005, 04:34:48 PM »

The only Metallica song that comes to memory as having and GnR/Axl corelation is "King Nothing".

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2005, 05:54:17 PM »

The song could be abou Uncle Axl, but I doubt it.   If it is, though, James hould have had the balls to say so

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
MrBrownstone
Opening Act

You Wan'da Step Into My World...

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2005, 09:06:23 AM »

I think that if Axl ever releases the Chinese Democracy album, he should include a song about how Metallica sold their arses down the river about 15 years ago.

Guess What I'm Doing Now......
OMG
Opening Act

!

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005, 11:02:40 AM »

The song is based upon a movie called "Sunset Boulevard"

http://www.encycmet.com/songs/sr2memo.shtml

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2005, 07:25:03 PM »

Here's a Metal Edge on the record with Metallica back in 1997.

"The memory remains"
Re-loads first single has a slow, hypnotic groove and backup vocals by Marianne Faithful. " The song is heavy,
it's got a greasy feel to it. It's got both heavy and kind of eerie [aspects]."says James, who based the lyrical idea on the
movie Sunset Boulevard, and "how an old faded movie star thinks she's still relavant, and the idea of fame and how it just twist you sometimes. Basically, it's about twisted Hollywood starlet." ok

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
The_Long_Road
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2005, 05:38:07 AM »

No.. It's not about Axl.. James says it's about no one.. He just wrote it..
DemocracyRose
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2005, 05:43:03 AM »

I heard, it was about Elvis............
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2005, 01:52:59 PM »

is it just me or does Metallica like taking cheap shots at Axl?
Yes, they do take shots at him.  And I'm sure they feel very big for it too.  Kicking someone while they're down.

Hahahaha are you serious? Kicking someone when there down...that is fucking funny. And you think Axl is down? If Axl was down on his luck and needed the money, don't you think he would have released CD? The dude is obviously living it up. Think about it before you portray Axl has a Boohoo Waa waaa feel sorry for me type. He is living in his kickass mansion, smoking the finest herb, ca meditate all day, buys neon pegasus's, gets the best seats for the superbowl or NBA games, gets the finest pussy, and has had the luxury to release his album whenever the fuck he feels like it. In his world he is god.

Anyway these Metallica songs might have been as influenced by Axl as any other Rock star of Axl's caliber. But Lars digs the man and continually speaks highly of him. Metallica kicks ass though, as do these songs of theirs. Shit I just rediscovered Metallica S&M on DVD, and that is some kickass shit. Sounds fucking sweet.

Imagining that these songs were influenced by Axl, does given them another layer when listening to them though.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Elrothiel
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2005, 05:55:12 PM »

Well, the song could ORIGINALLY  have been about Axl, but maybe James panicked at the last moment thinking "Oh my god, I could get sued if I say that!! AAH!" so he said it was about something else to protect his ass.
Or... it just could have been a random idea. We don't know. Nobody except James Hetfield knows.
Now, to all youse saying "Axl down?! Pfft!!":
Just because someone may be rich, doesn't make them happy. So what if he lives in a kickass mansion meditating all day long and fucking all night long. So what. Is that gunna make him happy if there's something on his mind that is bothering him? NO! Let me tell you, if someone is fucking depressed, it doesn't matter how many people you screw, how many ounces of weed you smoke, or however many neon pegasi you buy, you're still gunna be thinking about that one thing that you CAN'T fix with money.
I don't know, but my guess is that he's missing his old buddies a LOT, and he wishes that he could have them back and make it be like the old days, but now because Velvet Revolver's come out... he thinks "Naah, they're gunna wanna stay with Weiland... he's not as strict as I was...." so he's probably spiralling into a deep vat of depression because he wants his buddies back.
That's only what I THINK. I don't know. Maybe he isn't down at all and buying all the neon pegasi he wants to put up all over the walls of his kickass mansion while smoking the finest weed in all the world, specially imported from Amsterdam along with all the pussy he could ever want.
I don't know. But!
Back on subject.
The part that Marianne Faithful sings in The Memory Remains... if speeded up, could sound a lot like Axl in WTTJ only not beginning with "sha" and not ending with "knees". Buuut, that's just me with my overactive imagination... there's a reason why I'm an art student.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2005, 07:26:15 PM »

The only reason I can think that Axl would be down, is that he hasn't caused any controversary in 2 years.

"The part that Marianne Faithful sings in The Memory Remains... if speeded up, could sound a lot like Axl in WTTJ only not beginning with "sha" and not ending with "knees". Buuut, that's just me with my overactive imagination... there's a reason why I'm an art student."

Sounds to me like  Axl isn't the only one smoking some fine weed. Share the wealth brother.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2005, 07:41:33 PM »

Puff The Magic Dragon was written about Axl I heard. Also Bod Dylans "blowing in the wind" was written about the release date of chinese democracy.  hihi

"the answer my friend is blowing in the wind , the answer is blowing in the wind. How many guitar players must come and go .. before they can settle on a man? and how many tours must crash and burn before the promoter calls for the end? And how much botox can his skin endure before it falls off his face? and how many wigs does he have to buy before he doesnt look like a disgrace? Oh the answer my friend is blowing in the wind , the answer is blowing in the wind. Oh how many years will past us by before our long wait it will end? And how many finishing touches will it take before the album they will send? and how much money can the record company give before they can give no more? how frustrated can the band members get before they bolt for the door? oh the answer my friend is blowing in the wind , the answer is blowing in the wind."

peace

Syren
Opening Act

Not odd - just different.

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2005, 02:05:26 PM »

As far as I've read, King Nothing is about people who are obssessed with the struggle to own everything.

I believe the track was first recorded in late '94, so I doubt the lyrics are about Axl seeing as he hadn't been out of the spotlight long enough at the time. Also, since the world doesn't revolve around Mr. Rose I don't really see why anyone would think the song was about him in the first place. ::shrug::

I'll get a signature eventually.
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2005, 02:08:10 PM »

As far as I've read, King Nothing is about people who are obssessed with the struggle to own everything.

Nah , it's obviously about axl.  hihi  rofl

Elrothiel
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2005, 04:31:58 PM »

The only reason I can think that Axl would be down, is that he hasn't caused any controversary in 2 years.

"The part that Marianne Faithful sings in The Memory Remains... if speeded up, could sound a lot like Axl in WTTJ only not beginning with "sha" and not ending with "knees". Buuut, that's just me with my overactive imagination... there's a reason why I'm an art student."

Sounds to me like Axl isn't the only one smoking some fine weed. Share the wealth brother.

Hehehe! I would if I could my friend, and I ain't no one's brother... see, I'm a girl hihi. But I know a great li'l coffee bar in Amsterdam that sells really strong shiva and white widow. ok
I love when there are college trips to Amsterdam!!  smoking
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: