Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 03:40:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228111 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Most Expensive Album Never Made
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Most Expensive Album Never Made  (Read 81350 times)
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2005, 02:50:50 PM »

What I do know about what I wrote is that it was read by the people that I actually wanted it to be read by. Jimmy Iovine will have got to work on Thursday morning and had a copy of the article in his inbox, as will many others...

I don't really mind if you don't like it... And I don't mind if a thousand other people don't like it. I know that there are some people that enjoyed reading it and with that I mind I am sure that I didn't waste my time...

ok

My evaluation of a written piece, does not depend on the writer's eloquence.  We're not talking about poetry in either case...
but I found Leeds style to be rather sensational and dramatic...  whereas  I found much more sincerity in Gigger's piece.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2005, 02:57:45 PM »

As for the fact that all posts are worthless except Mysterons. Well to me that's a bizarre comment... But I will say that some (not all) of the information Mysteron gets is open to the general public if you know where to look. There are no such things as insiders in the GnR world, what Mysteron says isn't gospel (and I'm sure Mysteron will agree with me). But people on this forum do tend to think that Mysteron and only Mysteron has any clue about GnR. (I'm not suggesting that I do...) That's not meant to be seen as Mysteron bashing, more just how I view the info he gets...

No offence taken, don't worry

As for Bookers comment, I found the article easy to read. I know that some people find it hard to read long sentences. I think it's a form of dyslexia commonly brought on by conditions such as autism and ADD. You'll find, therefore, that alot of journalists keep their sentences short.  Authors, though, are another matter.

Punctuation, such as commas, are a personal thing, or so I was taught at school (any moons ago  hihi )
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2005, 03:02:34 PM »

What spurred the negativity I think could arguably be found, right off the bad, ?in the very title: ?"The Most Expensive Album Never Made".

but do you really think that the people who read this article will think that there's actually no album?

if one look a little deeper than this article, lets say skip by htgth for five minutes, there's no doubht that there's an album in the making and we have all heard what 6 7 new songs, a bunch of rumored titles, release plans, supposed leak, the cd tour and the list goes on, i mean there IS an album, but it's just not pressed into millions of copies so to your average joe it's not made yet... The headline of an article is usually a word play or something to tease the reader with, so i think the title is pretty cool, might be a little provocing to a few, but hey... ?smoking ?peace

Isn't sensational and dramatic something you would want in everything you read Eva? Wink

I'm very glad tho that leeds didn't comment on anything stupid like axl's hair or body fat botox or fuckin' football jerseys...

Hey it's friday, to the bar people ?beer

edit: to comment on mysteron. I didn't emply that mysteron has anything to do with gn'r, for all i know he could be Jarmo  hihi, what i meant was that i have never seen him post meaningless shit. he usually provides credible information with a source in one form or another and thats it, it would be boring here at htgth if you only looked at mysterons posts tho...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 03:06:53 PM by erose » Logged

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
madagas
« Reply #283 on: March 11, 2005, 03:29:43 PM »

Mysteron, I don't know what school you went to, but the use of commas and punctuation is not a "personal" thing.? There are specific rules for when to use commas and when not to. The "article" does have very poor use of commas and loads of run on sentences. I don't really give a shit, but if "splat" wants to be some form of journalistic site, they may need a proper editor.? ok Booker???
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 03:33:00 PM by madagas » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #284 on: March 11, 2005, 05:05:45 PM »

As for Bookers comment, I found the article easy to read. I know that some people find it hard to read long sentences.

You would be one of those people, if thats what youve extracted from my post.?

I said it was poorly written, not unintelligible.? Its a collection of awkardly worded run-on sentences, not "long sentences."?

You'll find, therefore, that alot of journalists keep their sentences short.

Not to mention properly written.? Thank God the New York Times will never run this:

"Jeff Leeds, enjoy your 15 minutes of fame, you ridiculed someone who you aren't even worthy to be mentioned in the same sentence as, and you did so without even giving him a chance to defend himself and ran the article without giving Axl's manager a chance to talk over the story with the man himself."

nervous

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2005, 05:15:33 PM »

The aricle is bad news. The record company isn' even supporting CD anymore. Now Axl can really take his sweet time with it.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #286 on: March 11, 2005, 05:20:34 PM »

nd nothing personal, Gigger, but youre writing is terrible.  Normally I never criticize anybodys writing (you cant find one post on this forum in which I do so), but since youre passing this off as an article, I think its a valid criticism.  Your syntax and punctuation needs a lot of work.  Again, perfectly fine as a message board post, but one very poor article (as you feel inclined to call it).

I am very sorry to say this to you, Booker, because lately I've warmed up to you alot and have begun to see from where you are coming, but I feel you need to cut Gigger some slack. The man put some serious effort and research into that article. Although it is not a professional piece of writing, it is neither a terrible one either. Almost all articles are spell checked, fact checked, and proofread by dozens of editors and interns before they are submitted for publication. I doubt gigger had access to any of those professional emenities.

I would encourage you to limit your criticism to the constructive type, such as the ones you end your paragraph with  above, and avoid judgments on the man's abilities, such as 'your writing is terrible." Anyone is capable of making silly grammerical errors: especially the inadvertant substitution of 'youre' with 'your' as you did in your paragraph above.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 05:35:10 PM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #287 on: March 11, 2005, 05:23:50 PM »

The aricle is bad news. The record company isn' even supporting CD anymore. Now Axl can really take his sweet time with it.

Mr. Sunshine and Lollipops has returned. I see you have subscribed to the 'label has dropped GnR's financial backing' theory. Please for the benefit of the mob, tell us exactly the source of this information other than Mr. Leeds' piece.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #288 on: March 11, 2005, 05:31:38 PM »

Gigger's article is much better but is watered down by his over the top Leeds bashing and Axl ass kissing.?

I just skimmed this "article" and its nothing more than a fans long messsage board post.

And nothing personal, Gigger, but youre writing is terrible.? Normally I never criticize anybodys writing (you cant find one post on this forum in which I do so), but since youre passing this off as an article, I think its a valid criticism.? Your syntax and punctuation needs a lot of work.? Again, perfectly fine as a message board post, but one very poor article (as you feel inclined to call it).

You lost me after railing against Leeds for "trying to bring Axl down."? Come on... Roll Eyes?

I'm open to criticism... But I find it highly ironic that in the sentence you accuse me of having a terrible writing style you make a very basic grammatical error...

"And nothing personal, Gigger, but youre writing is terrible."

I'd also point out that I've been published a number of times (as mentioned in previous posts) but fortunately editors do the less interesting job of correcting the grammar.

If you think my grammar's bad I suggest you read some of the poet EE Cummins' work... A great American poet whoused extensive creative license with grammar. I also subscribe to the theory that you should be allowed your own personal license with grammar, I adopted one for the entirety of my English degree and it served me fairly well...  hihi
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #289 on: March 11, 2005, 05:36:31 PM »

I said the source. The article. If the article is bullshit, then Axl should come out of his cave and defend himself instead of sending out his hired goons.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #290 on: March 11, 2005, 05:38:34 PM »

I said the source. The article. If the article is bullshit, then Axl should come out of his cave and defend himself instead of sending out his hired goons.

If the article is bullshit, why should he acknowledge it anyway? Instead, why not let his actions in the coming months do his own talking?

As I've said before, Merck's statement is enough if there is some action behind it.

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #291 on: March 11, 2005, 05:51:06 PM »

Mr. Sunshine and Lollipops has returned. 

Now that is funny!  You've made a new best friend sir rofl  Perhaps he is MYGNR.com's Kaneda.  Oh and, please don't critisize my spelling and punctuation.  I know I suck.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #292 on: March 11, 2005, 06:00:49 PM »

I'm open to criticism... But I find it highly ironic that in the sentence you accuse me of having a terrible writing style you make a very basic grammatical error...

I was waiting for somebody to bring this up...

I dont know if anyone has noticed, but I rarely use apostrophes when posting on message boards. ?I dont know why, but I just dont. ?And sometimes I use the wrong variation of "your." ?With that said, youll never see me pass my posts off as "articles," no matter how long or otherwise well-written they are. ?If I were going to be so sanctimonius as to pass a post off as an article, I would make sure it was well-written. ?

If you think my grammar's bad I suggest you read some of the poet EE Cummins' work... A great American poet whoused extensive creative license with grammar. I also subscribe to the theory that you should be allowed your own personal license with grammar, I adopted one for the entirety of my English degree and it served me fairly well...? hihi

Well, if thats your philosophy, then great. ?I tend to be critical when I see message board posters pass their work off as actual journalism (by calling what are essentially posts "articles"). ?In fact, I actually signed up to Mygnr.com just so I could criticize an overzealous VR fans concert review. ?Not only was it a disastrously written, but halfway plagiarized. ?Yet she swore it was actually published in a magazine. ?I think its nice that you made the effort to write such a detailed post, but like Ive said, Id be more apprehensive about passing posts off as articles. ?I also have to say that I completely disagree with your posts premise: that Jeff Leeds wrote his article to bring Axl down. ?Power to ya anyway. ?beer
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #293 on: March 11, 2005, 06:10:47 PM »

I was waiting for somebody to bring this up...

I dont know if anyone has noticed, but I rarely use apostrophes when posting on message boards.  I dont know why, but I just dont.  And sometimes I use the wrong variation of "your."  With that said, youll never see me pass my posts off as "articles," no matter how long or otherwise well-written they are.  If I were going to be so sanctimonius as to pass a post off as an article, I would make sure it was well-written. 

If you think my grammar's bad I suggest you read some of the poet EE Cummins' work... A great American poet whoused extensive creative license with grammar. I also subscribe to the theory that you should be allowed your own personal license with grammar, I adopted one for the entirety of my English degree and it served me fairly well...  hihi

Well, if thats your philosophy, then great.  I tend to be critical when I see message board posters pass their work off as actual journalism (by calling what are essentially posts "articles").  In fact, I actually signed up to Mygnr.com just so I could criticize an overzealous VR fans concert review.  Not only was it a disastrously written, but halfway plagiarized.  Yet she swore it was actually published in a magazine.  I think its nice that you made the effort to write such a detailed post, but like Ive said, Id be more apprehensive about passing posts off as articles.  I also have to say that I completely disagree with your posts premise: that Jeff Leeds wrote his article to bring Axl down.  Power to ya anyway.  beer

Much better. Thanks for that, Booker. Wink

madagas
« Reply #294 on: March 12, 2005, 07:32:03 AM »

Gigger, your trying to be a journalist with that piece...not a creative writer or poet. Just the facts baby! I do like the info that comes from Splat. You guys do get some good little tidbits. Like the Costanzo comment "only three guys know the real truth". Did anyone notice that? 3 not 8-10. In other words, the band members don't even know the truth?? rofl?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 08:09:51 AM by madagas » Logged
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #295 on: March 12, 2005, 08:19:28 AM »

I believe, at the very least, its safe to reasonably assume that Axl will not be pleased that 'un-named sources' violated their employment and confidentiality agreements.  Nor will the employers of those sources that were based in the record company and recording studio(s).

I am speculating.*

*http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=speculating  Grin

It might be kind of you that you provided the link to the dictionary and My grammar is an utter horror. but I knew what the speculating means.

Just my speculations are partly different to yours. That's all.

!!)Perhaps I'm the only one who has a difficulty seeing Axl as the soul of vindictiveness. I don't consider it an improved image better than What the article pictures him either. Ok, this is my beef about this.

!!)'un-named sources' seems to know a fat lot of critical facts that are relevant. I mean this article doesn't cover the current state of the band or the album. I guess none of them could possibly know of any of confidential affairs crucial to the present stage, if not those were not needed for this article. (judging from the contents that are nothing new to us, as someone suggested, they possibly be the same "informers" who've been offering the identical rumours)

!!!)I doubt if the confidentiality agreements were so exorbitantly different to customary office regulations as alleged. Having employees sign a confidentiality agreement as part of their employment contract... IS A STANDARD BUSINESS PRACTICE, is nay? I think no professionalist is allowed to disclose their business secret unless under some very special circumstances.

Furthermore,

!!!!)With CD being coming out this year, soon there should be another article that is "less biased" and state-of-the-art covering the album n the band, hopefully on a paper as reputed as NY times.
I mean, measure for measure, major for major. smoking

!!!!!)I believe what Merck said in his letter is true.

To sum up, I don't see any point in his wasting his precious time in a rage against this petty poo for now. No, it's not pleasant to be written that way. But knowing how the errors will be corrected and who will have the last laugh, he possibly can't bother with this so much. That's how I speculate. peace
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #296 on: March 12, 2005, 08:43:01 AM »

Gigger, your trying to be a journalist with that piece...not a creative writer or poet. Just the facts baby! I do like the info that comes from Splat. You guys do get some good little tidbits. Like the Costanzo comment "only three guys no the real truth". Did anyone notice that? 3 not 8-10. In other words, the band members don't even know the truth?? rofl?

Yes, I also realized this. IMO it only proves that Costanzo can be right. Imagine if he named Stinson or Dizzy as other guys who knew what was going on - nobody would believe in his words. Sad but true.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #297 on: March 12, 2005, 09:42:23 AM »

It's a strange comment from Costanzo...

He said only he, Axl and one other know the truth.

But I'd assume that Dan Monti would "know the truth" as he is Costanzo's assistant, and I'd assume that Eric Cadieux knows "the truth" too as he worked with Costanzo on the album.

Plus... Axl has worked with the producer Curt Cuomo since working with Costanzo.

So that probably makes it up to about 5 people - Axl, Costanzo, Monti, Cadieux, Cuomo. And then you'd imagine that Merck and Deke Arlon (CEO of Sanctuary Music Publishing) demanded "the truth" before finalising the new Publishing Deal. So in all there are probably around 7 people who know exactly what has gone on in the last 18 months... Funnily enough only one of them is in the band!  rofl
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #298 on: March 12, 2005, 09:47:11 AM »

Like the Costanzo comment "only three guys no the real truth". Did anyone notice that? 3 not 8-10. In other words, the band members don't even know the truth?  rofl 

Is that funny for you madagas?
Yes, I also realized this. IMO it only proves that Costanzo can be right. Imagine if he named Stinson or Dizzy as other guys who knew what was going on - nobody would believe in his words. Sad but true.
True. I mean nobody would believe bit. But It's not correct because I wouldn't change my mind whether he named Stinson or Dizzy.
I don't know what the real truth was about. And who was the other person.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #299 on: March 12, 2005, 01:43:30 PM »

... And who was the other person.

I believe the other person who offered comment that gigger quoted was Brain, who said something like "all publicity is good publicty - its when they stop talking about you that you gotta worry'

And gigger implemented a preiviously submitted comment from someone at Vilage REcording studios, the date which would go to demonstrate that GN'R were still recording there at a time which one of Leeds' sources indicates they were not.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 01:48:16 PM by Eva GnRAxlRosette » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: