Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:32:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Article You can have anything you want but you better not take it from me
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Article You can have anything you want but you better not take it from me  (Read 7341 times)
anythinggoes
« on: March 08, 2005, 11:59:35 AM »

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/03/08/094913.php

There's a great great article in Sunday's New York Times: The Most Expensive Album Never Made. Ah, Chinese Democracy - the long awaited, heavily anticipated and now punch line of jokes album. The one Baseball Crank refers to as "the Waterworld of rock." At least Waterworld actually made it to the theaters.

My history with Axl and company is a long and complicated one. I imagine that most metal fans who hooked on to the early GnR bandwagon followed the same path I did. Think of the seven stages of grief in reverse. From acceptance (Appetite for Destruction = welcome to my record collection!) to denial (I swear to you I never owned The Spaghetti Incident), we watched - and in some ways participated in - the slow death of a once great band. But it wasn't their years of putting out head banging, fist pumping music that was the greatest show. No, it was watching Axl Rose trying in vain to raise the Phoenix from the ashes that offered the most jaw dropping, car-wreck kind of entertainment this side of the November Rain video.

Real music fans don't just buy an album, get their groove on and put the album away until later. We invest a part of ourselves in each record we buy. And, by extension, we invest a piece of ourselves in the bands we love. We form a relationship, so to speak, with the band as a whole. And it's a tenuous sort of relationship, because the only thing that ties us together is the actual music. A new album comes out, you listen for the first time and each perfectly crafted song is tantamount to being embraced by a passionate lover. Every lyric that resonates, beat that you feel in your bones, hook that captures your soul - it's like making love to the music and those who made the music (metaphorically speaking, of course). The better the anticipated album or single, the more intense the action is. So each new album we wait for is like the promise of hot, dirty sex after your partner has been away for a while. And in that essence, Chinese Democracy has been a years long cock tease.

My real lust for the band kind of faded right around Civil War. It was then I realized that GnR was the equivalent of the girl who teases you with her perky breasts for years and when you finally manage to get under the hood, you grab hold of three inches of padded bra. All that music before Use Your Illusion II was just a ruse to get us to this point. They gave us the good stuff first so they could later on sit back and make this pretentious, melodramatic drivel that they called art. There was nothing left to them. Empty D cups.

I never held a grudge against the rest of the band like I do Axl. He was - and is - a self indulgent monster whose posturing bravado could never hide the fact that he was really nothing more than a wimp, a nancy boy, a withered soul of a human being who couldn't handle criticism or competition. Yet somehow, he managed to convince himself that he was the king of the mountain and deserved every indulgence he demanded - something the attempted creation of Chinese Democracy has made all so evident, especially since he surrounded himself with people just like himself.

He accompanied Buckethead on a jaunt to Disneyland when the guitarist was drifting toward quitting, several people involved recalled; then Buckethead announced he would be more comfortable working inside a chicken coop, so one was built for him in the studio, from wood planks and chicken wire.
Out of the entire five page NYT article, that excerpt alone is what symbolizes both Axl Rose and the whole warped evolution of Guns N Roses. Ridiculous excess, indulgence, pretentiousness and the penchant for extending the idea of making an album to such ridiculous heights that, somehow, building a chicken coop for Buckethead seemed like a good way for Geffen to spend their money.

And how much money has Chinese Democracy cost to make so far?

[Axl] has racked up more than $13 million in production costs, according to Geffen documents, ranking his unfinished masterpiece as probably the most expensive recording never released.

13 million dollars to make an album that a) will probably never see the light of day and b) even if it did, would never recoup the costs to the label or even be worth listening to at this point. Who wants to hear what a lover has to say after they've kicked you in the back time and time again? At some point, you walk. You don't look back. After all the teasing - the MTV awards, the New Year's Eve show, the inlkings of what the record would sound like, the addition of people like Robin Finck to the band - to still be standing here waiting for some GnR loving is to victimize yourself.

Mr. Rose is reportedly working on the album even now in a San Fernando Valley studio. "The 'Chinese Democracy' album is very close to being completed," Merck Mercuriadis, the chief executive officer of Sanctuary Group, which manages Mr. Rose, wrote in a recent statement.
Mr. Mercuriadis was not very happy with the NYT article and wrote a letter to the editor, in which he called the author of the piece, Jeff Leeds, "the return of Jayson Blair under a pseudonym."

Axl Rose is not interested in fame, money, popularity or what the New York Times or any other paper for that matter might think of him. His only interest is making the best album he is capable of so that it can have a positive affect in 2005 on people who are enthusiasts of music and interested in Guns N' Roses. His artistic integrity is such that he has chosen to do so without compromise at great personal sacrifice which makes him a soft target for the sort of rubbish you have chosen to print. I believe he will have the last laugh.
One has to wonder if Mr. Mercuriadis really believes what he wrote. Or perhaps he is just a victim of Axl's cult of personality. Maybe Mercuriadis and Axl both really believe that Chinese Democracy will be released some day. Maybe they both believe it won't raise the bar on suckitude. And maybe they believe that whatever ragtag band Axl ends up with deserves to be called Guns N Roses. But the phrases "artistic integrity" and "great personal sacrfice" don't really come to mind when I think of Axl Rose. Is it that "artistic integrity" that's causing his old bandmates to sue him?

I prefer to remember Axl the way I first loved him; all swaying hips and high decibel screaming, causing riots, forgetting to show up for concerts, making an ass of himself in ways that are forgivable in rock and roll. The whole Chinese Democracy saga? As unforgivable as The Spaghetti Incident. end

utter drivel
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 12:11:06 PM »

if
Real music fans don't just buy an album, get their groove on and put the album away until later. We invest a part of ourselves in each record we buy. And, by extension, we invest a piece of ourselves in the bands we love. We form a relationship, so to speak, with the band as a whole. And it's a tenuous sort of relationship, because the only thing that ties us together is the actual music. A new album comes out, you listen for the first time and each perfectly crafted song is tantamount to being embraced by a passionate lover. Every lyric that resonates, beat that you feel in your bones, hook that captures your soul - it's like making love to the music and those who made the music (metaphorically speaking, of course). The better the anticipated album or single, the more intense the action is. So each new album we wait for is like the promise of hot, dirty sex after your partner has been away for a while. And in that essence, Chinese Democracy has been a years long cock tease.

thanks to whoever posted that lol
then who cares about

[Axl] has racked up more than $13 million in production costs, according to Geffen documents, ranking his unfinished masterpiece as probably the most expensive recording never released.

13 million dollars to make an album that a) will probably never see the light of day and b) even if it did, would never recoup the costs to the label or even be worth listening to at this point.
??

I prefer to remember Axl the way I first loved him; all swaying hips and high decibel screaming, causing riots, forgetting to show up for concerts, making an ass of himself in ways that are forgivable in rock and roll.

that excerpt alone is what symbolizes both Axl Rose and the whole warped evolution of Guns N Roses. Ridiculous excess, indulgence, pretentiousness and the penchant for extending the idea of making an album to such ridiculous heights that,
hmmmm

« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 12:28:49 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 12:29:11 PM »

There's a great great article in Sunday's New York Times: The Most Expensive Album Never Made. Ah, Chinese Democracy - the long awaited, heavily anticipated and now punch line of jokes album. The one Baseball Crank refers to as "the Waterworld of rock." At least Waterworld actually made it to the theaters.

My history with Axl and company is a long and complicated one. I imagine that most metal fans who hooked on to the early GnR bandwagon followed the same path I did. Think of the seven stages of grief in reverse. From acceptance (Appetite for Destruction = welcome to my record collection!) to denial (I swear to you I never owned The Spaghetti Incident), we watched - and in some ways participated in - the slow death of a once great band. But it wasn't their years of putting out head banging, fist pumping music that was the greatest show. No, it was watching Axl Rose trying in vain to raise the Phoenix from the ashes that offered the most jaw dropping, car-wreck kind of entertainment this side of the November Rain video.

My real lust for the band kind of faded right around Civil War. It was then I realized that GnR was the equivalent of the girl who teases you with her perky breasts for years and when you finally manage to get under the hood, you grab hold of three inches of padded bra. All that music before Use Your Illusion II was just a ruse to get us to this point. They gave us the good stuff first so they could later on sit back and make this pretentious, melodramatic drivel that they called art. There was nothing left to them. Empty D cups.

I never held a grudge against the rest of the band like I do Axl. He was - and is - a self indulgent monster whose posturing bravado could never hide the fact that he was really nothing more than a wimp, a nancy boy, a withered soul of a human being who couldn't handle criticism or competition. Yet somehow, he managed to convince himself that he was the king of the mountain and deserved every indulgence he demanded - something the attempted creation of Chinese Democracy has made all so evident, especially since he surrounded himself with people just like himself.

He accompanied Buckethead on a jaunt to Disneyland when the guitarist was drifting toward quitting, several people involved recalled; then Buckethead announced he would be more comfortable working inside a chicken coop, so one was built for him in the studio, from wood planks and chicken wire.
Out of the entire five page NYT article, that excerpt alone is what symbolizes both Axl Rose and the whole warped evolution of Guns N Roses. Ridiculous excess, indulgence, pretentiousness and the penchant for extending the idea of making an album to such ridiculous heights that, somehow, building a chicken coop for Buckethead seemed like a good way for Geffen to spend their money.

13 million dollars to make an album that a) will probably never see the light of day and b) even if it did, would never recoup the costs to the label or even be worth listening to at this point. Who wants to hear what a lover has to say after they've kicked you in the back time and time again? At some point, you walk. You don't look back. After all the teasing - the MTV awards, the New Year's Eve show, the inlkings of what the record would sound like, the addition of people like Robin Finck to the band - to still be standing here waiting for some GnR loving is to victimize yourself.

Mr. Rose is reportedly working on the album even now in a San Fernando Valley studio. "The 'Chinese Democracy' album is very close to being completed," Merck Mercuriadis, the chief executive officer of Sanctuary Group, which manages Mr. Rose, wrote in a recent statement.
Mr. Mercuriadis was not very happy with the NYT article and wrote a letter to the editor, in which he called the author of the piece, Jeff Leeds, "the return of Jayson Blair under a pseudonym."

Axl Rose is not interested in fame, money, popularity or what the New York Times or any other paper for that matter might think of him. His only interest is making the best album he is capable of so that it can have a positive affect in 2005 on people who are enthusiasts of music and interested in Guns N' Roses. His artistic integrity is such that he has chosen to do so without compromise at great personal sacrifice which makes him a soft target for the sort of rubbish you have chosen to print. I believe he will have the last laugh.
One has to wonder if Mr. Mercuriadis really believes what he wrote. Or perhaps he is just a victim of Axl's cult of personality. Maybe Mercuriadis and Axl both really believe that Chinese Democracy will be released some day. Maybe they both believe it won't raise the bar on suckitude. And maybe they believe that whatever ragtag band Axl ends up with deserves to be called Guns N Roses. But the phrases "artistic integrity" and "great personal sacrfice" don't really come to mind when I think of Axl Rose. Is it that "artistic integrity" that's causing his old bandmates to sue him?

I prefer to remember Axl the way I first loved him; all swaying hips and high decibel screaming, causing riots, forgetting to show up for concerts, making an ass of himself in ways that are forgivable in rock and roll. The whole Chinese Democracy saga? As unforgivable as The Spaghetti Incident. end

utter drivel

Ah man its people like you who cause all the negative shitty vibes on this site and in the world of Guns n Roses in general I reckon! What a pathetic post! Fuck me its people like you who really fuel my fire and I would imagine any other proper guns fans out there as well! As my favourite saying goes "I just cant listen to the words of fools"

anythinggoes
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 12:31:24 PM »

whoa there i did not write this check my comment at the bottom  peace
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 12:44:52 PM »

whoa there i did not write this check my comment at the bottom peace

Yeah this is what he said

utter drivel

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 12:48:21 PM »

utter drivel
Me, opposite. I don't think I LOVE him  nervous but I like him as he is, Always.
Who the hell begs for your forgiveness?

Come as you are!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 12:55:53 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 01:06:51 PM »

Hahaha , likening democracy to a "cock tease" really made me "LOL"  rofl

You bitch! You've been telling me these last few years how you were gunna madagascar me and then I.R.S me and T.W.A.T me all night .. but have you?! No you havent DEMOCRACY! You fucking cock tease!

hihi  Grin

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 01:10:54 PM »

Why are journalist so god damned Pretentious?  I mean, what are they trying to prove with these articles?

P.S. Bloggers are the biggest losers on the internet anyway!.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 01:22:04 PM »

Again for a guy (Axl) people claim is crazy or washed up the sure love to talk about him.  It just shows love or hate him, Axl no matter what will always be talked about. Like I said before, you really think if someone like Vince Neil or James Hetfield has taken this long and spent this much money on an album would get so much pub? I dont think so.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 01:44:56 PM »

to still be standing here waiting for some GnR loving is to victimize yourself.

Victimize yourself?  confused 

The person who wrote that must have a pretty miserable life, or maybe none at all. I for one know that I don't feel victimized  hihi

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
coldenim
Headliner

Who's gonna save you now

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 01:55:35 PM »

ah just another article of witless perspective of just what a critic knows.  I am so tired of hearing this repetitive bull hockey.  Good job! insider, next.
El?m? on laiffia.
Opening Act

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 02:03:19 PM »

I prefer to remember Axl the way I first loved him; all swaying hips and high decibel screaming, causing riots, forgetting to show up for concerts, making an ass of himself in ways that are forgivable in rock and roll.

I might be wrong, but this hasn't changed much, has it?

@anythinggoes: I'm quite surprised to see a heartagram an this board  Smiley

Don't knock on death's door! Ring the bell and run, death hates that....
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 02:41:20 PM »

fuck it, this guy will still buy the album anyway.
anythinggoes
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 02:56:56 PM »

@anythinggoes: I'm quite surprised to see a heartagram an this board? Smiley

more of a CKY Jackass Bam Thing really but yeah i do admit to liking HIM

I too liked the cock tease section it was funny but the rest of it was complete bullshit
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 05:06:59 PM »

I imagine that most metal fans who hooked on to the early GnR bandwagon followed the same path I did
This expression shows how much the writer is wrong. 95% of Guns N' Roses fans are not especially "metal fans" at all. Lots of my friends love Guns N' Roses, none of them are "metal fans". and about me, I'm one of the biggest and most passionate GN'R fan, and I absolutely can't stand Metal music.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 05:08:54 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 06:12:36 PM »

whoa there i did not write this check my comment at the bottom peace

Sorry mate I did not see that! I take it back who did it write it though? Its shocking!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 06:21:09 PM by estranged33 » Logged

Bad_Apple
Rocker

Oh my distorted smile

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 06:19:15 PM »

ok, I'm not too sure who wrote this "blog" entry (not that I care, and I'm sure if I really had time I could find out...)
BUT...is this person a "self-described" critic?  What great accomplishments have they ever accieved in thier life?  It's so much safer to write NEGATIVE critics than POSITIVE ones---this person is obviously an idiot.....I mean, what makes them the source of knowlegde?
now I know why Axl hated the media/critics...they're lazy farts who have an easy job and dismiss great genius!   Tongue

"in a world he did not create, he will go through it as if it were his own making; half man, half beast, I don't know what it is, but its weird and its pissed off and it calls itself Slash"
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2005, 06:35:48 PM »

Why are journalist so god damned Pretentious?  I mean, what are they trying to prove with these articles?
Hey, I am a journalist! And I'm not like that, ok?  rant

RichardNixon
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2005, 11:15:27 PM »

asshole
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2005, 05:19:02 PM »

some stupid bitch made this retarded post  on some lame ass blog site and is trying to pass it off as legit  nervous

please join me in ripping her a new asshole  peace

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: