Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 08:05:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  For the record, news, Tommy update from Paul Westerburg show
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: For the record, news, Tommy update from Paul Westerburg show  (Read 5430 times)
Minneapolisnewsman
« on: March 05, 2005, 11:33:10 PM »

Not to brag, but I do want to set the record straight regarding a few things.  One thing is for sure, when reporting rumblings  from the industry on this sight, most of the time the news is quickly disregarded and most of the time put down as a rumour or just plain false.  The level of the animosity directed at any messanger delivering news that runs counter to the assumed idea that--CD is coming next month, that Axl is a God, or that the new band may not work out--is nearly unmatched on the web.  I readily admit, I have no firsthand knowledge of anything going on inside the GNR camp.  But I have many friends who work as studio musicians in LA who get bits and pieces of news.  One of these friends knows a few people who have worked with Izzy in the past, and sometimes he get's information usually never seen in print or even on the web regarding the Indiana side of the GNR family tree.  To summarize, though, the careful eye can glean when "real" information is posted on this site, and usually when not coming from Mysteron, it is destroyed or ignored.  Real nuggets often go unnoticed until later when an event like the Times article hit's.   

There were a few pieces of information posted last year (under a differnt alias), which after today's NY Times feature is now relevant again, that I heard and distributed to the board which was quickly and resoundingly dismissed and basically attacked as heretic bollocks.   For the record, it was quite well known by many in Universal circles that GNR was basically let go (funding stopped, all hope lost) by the label last February.  At that time talk of an Independent release was floating around. Moreover, in early 2002 it was revealed by a few that there were "feelers" sent out by both Axl's camp (possibly unbeknownst to Axl) and the former members camp's (Duff, Izzy, Slash collectively) regarding some material recorded and some material written.  There were informal inquiries about the chance of Axl listening to it and sharing some ideas.  I have heard as recently as last month, that there is a decent chance that some form of communication still exists between parties (not necessarily at the top levels, but by those still close to Axl and the former members), and that some of the information discussed surrounds the idea of a future reunion and future material which could be used or that has been written. I think my friend said the engineer who told him this said something like "it's like Aerosmith, even if they are not communicating directly, the industry machine communicates for them--with millions of dollars on the line that door is never shut."   Many of my friends in LA studios hear second-hand rumblings from people familiar with both camps whom believe Izzy would be instrumental (if anything comes to fruition) in arranging and serving as a liason of sorts to start up any future writing/collaborative/creative sessions between the original comrades.  It is interesting that Slash has now mentioned music that was written in 2002/03 with Izzy and Duff that was in not so many words written with Axl in mind.  My friends who hear this shop talk speculate that if anyone from the former camp still talks to Axl, at 3 am periodically, without anyone else in the world knowing, that it is Izzy.  Again, the above information is gleaned from numerous conversations and based on third, fourth and fifth hand shop-talk from the studios and those connected inside the industry.  It could all be mostly ture,  half true, or not at all, who knows???

Now, last night I was afforded the wonderful opportunity to see Paul Westerburg live from the front row and backstage.  He played three hours, and was dead on every note, and overall was phenomenal.  Closing with classics such as--Alex Chilton, Left of the Dial and I Can't Hardly Wait--it was one of the best raw rock show's I have ever seen.  Westerburg should be commended for what he is:  a musical genius.  Before and after the show, I had some nice chat's with Paul's longtime mgr. who is quite a guy and is very involved with all things Replacements going on nowadays.  I want to protect privacy and the nature of our conversation, but want to let everyone know a few things that will complete the puzzle on what has been going on the last year and a half.  He said first of all that he arranged the recent recording's between Tommy and Paul and in not so many words thought there could be future collaborating in the near future.  I did not take his comments, which I am not going to get into, as one's that would indicate that Tommy has total confidence in the future of GNR.  He did mention that Tommy thinks Axl is a genius and loves the hell out of him.  But, I got the sense from his statements regarding Tommy that this GNR chapter is possibly in it's last paragraph, and everyone may be heading back home so to speak for obvious reasons.

I would assume that recent album releases, tours, and departures from the band all lead to the Feb. 2nd date mentioned in the article:  the paychecks stopped coming, thus in Dizzy, Richard and Tommy's situations they had to find some sources of income.  Buckethead was in it for the money, and quit once the paychecks ceased.  I think Tommy maybe rekindling some old-school creative magic that is in his blood, and that Axl maybe contemplating the same to save his career.  At some point the material will see the light of day, but financial realities and career realities may override creative pride in the short term.

Sino-lieS
Headliner

"...Just another day in Hell..."

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 11:49:27 PM »

Very interesting.I always saw Izzy as the key piece in any reunion since he seems the middleman. But in your last paragraph you seemed to say Tommy may be dis-satisfied with GnR. Did I read that right? It wouldn't supprise me really, I think everyone has been exceedingly patient.

"You'll see it. I don't know if SOON is the word."
" ...just another day in Hell... "
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 12:01:37 AM »

Very interesting.I always saw Izzy as the key piece in any reunion since he seems the middleman. But in your last paragraph you seemed to say Tommy may be dis-satisfied with GnR. Did I read that right? It wouldn't supprise me really, I think everyone has been exceedingly patient.

Not dissatisfied, but my take was that this current project has run it's course and he maybe moving on to new creative endeavors.  That is my analysis, and the mgr. did not indicate or state this, but one can read between the lines pretty easily at times.
Sino-lieS
Headliner

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 12:06:59 AM »

So basically Tommy , you feel, is moving away from Guns?  This seems similar to what Buckethead did. He left due to lack of production (I think that was the reason??)  Nothing is suprising to me anymore  hihi

Thanks!

Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 12:11:57 AM »

So basically Tommy , you feel, is moving away from Guns?? This seems similar to what Buckethead did. He left due to lack of production (I think that was the reason??)? Nothing is suprising to me anymore? hihi

Thanks!

I have no idea, but he is definitely involved in his own work and there is a chance for other projects that maybe enticing in the near future.? Tommy definitely is committed to the work he did for CD, and loves Axl.? But, I get the feeling that food has to be put on the table, and that time may have run out on the CD project.  I really don't know anything for sure, but you know, without saying too much, feel that it's just a sad deal right now.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 12:23:11 AM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 12:18:18 AM »

Paul W has not been a fan of Axl Rose now or ever; why exactly do we take the word of his manager especially when you admit he didn't say that Tommy was leaving guns? Forgive me for being skeptical, but all of this sudden doom and gloom is a bit fishy.

I just cannot see a reunion; not with the state of VR and the copious amount of crow that Axl would have to eat.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 12:26:16 AM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
mr.brownstain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 12:27:59 AM »

I hope cd comes out.
but the replacements would be awesome again if chris mars
and slim dunlap are back in. what about mars?
the replacements and gnr are my two favorite bands.
different sides of the spectrum but great music.
I have seen the mat's a couple of times
as well as Tommy's Perfect.

I was fortunate enough to catch GNR in vegas w/ finck and tommy

Do you think they will release Chinese D .....ever?
Do you see a possible reunion playing chinese D material?

Do
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 12:34:31 AM »

so if this is true, Merck must have laid one of the biggest whoppers in industry history with his complimentary remarks about Axl's new record.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 12:35:31 AM »

Paul W has not been a fan of Axl Rose now or ever; why exactly do we take the word of his manager especially when you admit he didn't say that Tommy was leaving guns.

I just cannot see a reunion; not with the state of VR and the copious amount of crow that Axl would have to eat.

Paul W. has no opinion of axl. ?If you have ever met the guy, you would realize that he is walking wit, smart ass, and is very capable of making harmless comments that can easily be misinterpreted. ?I don't think he has any beef with the guy. ? Moreover, I am just putting together some pieces of the puzzle, and just confirming for those in the reality based world that last Feb. may have been a more significant date than anyone wants to admit.?

I want to make clear, that we only briefly talked about Tommy S. and what he may or may not be involved in, in the near future. ?But, if anyone thinks the last year of touring and the release of the solo album were just a way to spend some downtime, ?then you may want to make sure both of your feet are firmly planted on the ground. ?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 12:37:49 AM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 12:39:16 AM »

Paul W has not been a fan of Axl Rose now or ever; why exactly do we take the word of his manager especially when you admit he didn't say that Tommy was leaving guns.

Paul W. has no opinion of axl.  If you have ever met the guy, you would realize that he is walking wit, smart ass, and is very capable of making harmless comments that can easily be misinterpreted.  I don't think he has any beef with the guy.   Moreover, I am just putting together some pieces of the puzzle, and just confirming for those in the reality based world that last Feb. may have been a more significant date than anyone wants to admit.

I want to make clear, that we only briefly talked about Tommy S. and what he may or may not be involved in, in the near future.  But, if anyone thinks the last year of touring and the release of the solo album were just a way to spend some downtime,  then you may want to make sure both of your feet are firmly planted on the ground. 

Isn't Tommy drawing a salary from the management group, i.e. Axl? Why would paychecks stop for the band in February since I was under the impression that the label paid Axl and Axl paid the band.

Sino-lieS
Headliner

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 12:40:36 AM »

Sorry, do you mean February 2005? ?What deadline was there?

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 12:41:57 AM »

I thought he was referring to feb 2004.

Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 12:43:13 AM »

Paul W. has no opinion of axl.? If you have ever met the guy, you would realize that he is walking wit, smart ass, and is very capable of making harmless comments that can easily be misinterpreted.? I don't think he has any beef with the guy.? ?Moreover, I am just putting together some pieces of the puzzle, and just confirming for those in the reality based world that last Feb. may have been a more significant date than anyone wants to admit.

I want to make clear, that we only briefly talked about Tommy S. and what he may or may not be involved in, in the near future.? But, if anyone thinks the last year of touring and the release of the solo album were just a way to spend some downtime,? then you may want to make sure both of your feet are firmly planted on the ground.?

Isn't Tommy drawing a salary from the management group, i.e. Axl? Why would paychecks stop for the band in February since I was under the impression that the label paid Axl and Axl paid the band.

You could be correct, i don't have a clue regarding this. ?But, the NY Times article indicated that the bandmembers were being paid up to $11K per month by Universal/Geffen.
Sino-lieS
Headliner

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 12:43:48 AM »

Thats what I thought at first...Feb '04?

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 12:46:50 AM »

Axl's publishing deal is now  a relevent issue b/c Sanctuary acquired the publishing rights to axl's share of the old and NEW catalog of songs.  merck says he has heard the material; i don't see why they would pay out so much money for an album that little chance of coming out. I dunno. Doesn't sound like good business. The only saving grace is that Sanctuary has 20 years left on the deal.

My friend Qunate made a good point to me. Why wouldnt robin rejoin NIN if back in Feb 2004 the paychecks ceased?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 12:59:11 AM by killingvector » Logged

Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2005, 01:05:16 AM »

Axl's publishing deal is now? a relevent issue b/c Sanctuary acquired the publishing rights to axl's share of the old and NEW catalog of songs.? merck says he has heard the material; i don't see why they would pay out so much money for an album that little chance of coming out. I dunno. Doesn't sound like good business. The only saving grace is that Sanctuary has 20 years left on the deal.

After reading the Times article, I wonder if Duff, Izzy and Slash and co. want to make amends and help Axl get back out there and rock?  I mean they must have some compassion and feel bad for Axl and his creative frustrations.  They know, and I see them say it many times, that Axl is really trying and capable of making a great album.  They also know the difficulties of working with a major label and the business in general.  I think they must at times feel almost sorry for Axl; sometimes I think I even hear it in their quotes.

I just get the feeling that after expending so much energy with no results on CD, that everyone maybe going back to the drawing board once more.  I don't know though.  But, I do think Axl has one surefire way to revive his career and get his message back on the streets:  that woud be a straightforward, simple, rock album crafted with and toured behind with Duff, Slash, Izzy, Dizzy and maybe Taz Bentley or Steven Adler on drums.  I actually think Matt Sorum is as much as a "Yoko" as Paul Tobias was.  I think Matt would not figure into a likely reunion in the next five years.
RichardNixon
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2005, 01:08:43 AM »

This thread is just a bunch of crap. No real substance--we don't even know if the original poster went to see Paul Westerberg or has friends in the industry.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2005, 01:09:35 AM »

Axl's publishing deal is now  a relevent issue b/c Sanctuary acquired the publishing rights to axl's share of the old and NEW catalog of songs.  merck says he has heard the material; i don't see why they would pay out so much money for an album that little chance of coming out. I dunno. Doesn't sound like good business. The only saving grace is that Sanctuary has 20 years left on the deal.

After reading the Times article, I wonder if Duff, Izzy and Slash and co. want to make amends and help Axl get back out there and rock?  I mean they must have some compassion and feel bad for Axl and his creative frustrations.  They know, and I see them say it many times, that Axl is really trying and capable of making a great album.  They also know the difficulties of working with a major label and the business in general.  I think they must at times feel almost sorry for Axl; sometimes I think I even hear it in their quotes.

I just get the feeling that after expending so much energy with no results on CD, that everyone maybe going back to the drawing board once more.  I don't know though.  But, I do think Axl has one surefire way to revive his career and get his message back on the streets:  that woud be a straightforward, simple, rock album crafted with and toured behind with Duff, Slash, Izzy, Dizzy and maybe Taz Bentley or Steven Adler on drums.  I actually think Matt Sorum is as much as a "Yoko" as Paul Tobias was.  I think Matt would not figure into a likely reunion in the next five years.

I have no basis to say this, but I just don't think slash and duff walk away from VR. Plus, they are currently suing the ass off of Axl. Unless this latest continuance is an overture of peace, as slash said in the BTM piece, they are a long way away from mutual respect.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2005, 01:14:17 AM »

one thing i don't understand...
as the members often said that they're parts were done...

shouldn't the paychecks stop there when they're not workin on it?

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2005, 01:14:29 AM »

This thread is just a bunch of crap. No real substance--we don't even know if the original poster went to see Paul Westerberg or has friends in the industry.

You are correct, how would anyone know. ?I admit, I have no firsthand knowledge, ?no groundbreaking news, and generally know no more about the situation than anyone. ?Moreover, I also know that this is a messageboard, that speculation is what makes this place go, most of us love GNR, and that there are very disturbing trends surrounding the completion of this album and that the confirmation of Universal closing down the project in Feb. 04 is the most significant piece of news regarding GNR since the departure of Slash. ?Combine that with Stinson and Westerburg recording again, and you can imagine that not all is on track for a surefire happy conclusion for the CD sessions.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 01:17:00 AM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: