Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 09:17:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Merck comments on Axl vs Slash
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Merck comments on Axl vs Slash  (Read 14372 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2005, 07:47:57 PM »

Somebody says something nice about Axl ("Axl is one of the most extraordinary artists of all time") and people are just complaining about it?

Are you aware that Axl actually is in the band you like?

I know about being objective and all that, but sometimes it seems like a lot of people are here only to whine about everything. Even if it's a nice compliment to the singer of the band we all like.

I agree with 2tuna, Merck seems like a music lover who happens to work in the business. I wouldn't be doing whatever I do if I didn't like the band and their music, so it's nice to see there are people who still put the music first in the business. Instead of seeing everything as products.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2005, 07:55:23 PM »

I know axl has difficulty pronouncing your name, but i'd think you could atleast spell mine (jk).
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2005, 08:03:30 PM »

Ok TwoNaFish.  Wink

I'm surprised nobody is saying "how can Merck call it Guns N' Roses without Slash/Duff/Izzy/Steven/Gilby/Matt in the band?".  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2005, 09:06:27 PM »

Here's the pic & career highlights of Merck from this Billboard interview.
(I don't see any photographer credit listed.)

Merck Mercuriadis:? Career Highlights

1982:? Joins Motown Records as a radio plugger
1983:? Joins Virgin Records as marketing manager
1987:? Joins Smallwood/Taylor Enterprises to manage Iron Maiden
1996:? Smallwood/Taylor Enterprises grows into Sanctuary.
1997:? Mercuriadis is named CEO of Sanctuary Artist Management.
1998:? Sanctuary Group carries out an initial public offering.
2000:? Named CEO of U.S. operations
2004:? Named Sanctuary Group worldwide CEO

On topic:? I'm curious why Merck brought Slash's name into the conversation.? Huh
The question he was asked was about when CD "will see the light of day" NOT about ex-gunners.? ?confused

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2005, 09:45:42 PM »

Somebody says something nice about Axl ("Axl is one of the most extraordinary artists of all time") and people are just complaining about it?

Roll Eyes

Do you think most of the people who posted have a problem with that single comment? 
gabble
Rocker

I-E-A-I-A-I-O

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2005, 09:47:25 PM »

The question he was asked was about when CD "will see the light of day" NOT about ex-gunners.

Actually, the question wasn't quoted; it was implied.? ?Why omit the question, yet follow it with a verbatim question and answer session?? It seems to me the discussion which preceded and prompted Merck's response was simply edited for content.? If so, it is entirely plausible the interviewer brought up specific points pertaining to Slash.? Moreover, the topic of the paragraph in which Merck speaks of GN'R deals with Merck's "fierce protection" of his clientele, based on his personal passion for music.? In that context the quote is applicable.? ?The narrative pertaining to Chinese Democracy's release seems oddly out of place.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2005, 10:51:12 PM »

If he would say something bad about Axl or how bad CD could be, a LOT of people here would be happy and quicky to post some sarcastic shit.  Roll Eyes

noizzynofuture
Rocker

Spread the Virus

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2005, 12:25:04 AM »

Roll Eyes

Do you think most of the people who posted have a problem with that single comment??

Booker is right,  the problem people have is with Merck's strange bashing of slash when asked when axl will release CD.

His comments are ridiculous and do nothing but avoid and dodge a question that he's too big of a pussy to answer.

Compliment axl til you're blue in the face  yes  but quit being axl's apologist.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2005, 12:30:28 AM »

Booker is right

Huh

Someone has obviously hacked into your account... Grin

the problem people have is with Merck's strange bashing of slash when asked when axl will release CD.

Its not just Slash he slighted, it was essentially everybody thats been in the band.? In fact, its not even very flattering to the current members.? It only confirms what most of us already know: this project is about Axl Rose.? Everybody else is peripheral.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 12:32:53 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2005, 01:43:41 AM »

Booker is right

Huh

Someone has obviously hacked into your account... Grin

the problem people have is with Merck's strange bashing of slash when asked when axl will release CD.

Its not just Slash he slighted, it was essentially everybody thats been in the band.  In fact, its not even very flattering to the current members.  It only confirms what most of us already know: this project is about Axl Rose.  Everybody else is peripheral.

I think you are reading too much into this. Axl wrote and produced this record. From my understanding of how it was put together, the band noodled around with sounds which axl sifted through for the most appetizing threads. The band expounded on the appealing bits and songs were born.  Make no mistake about it, Axl is the general of this project and controls the direction it takes. He is getting out of the band exactly what he wants. Why would Merck's comments slight individuals who are being paid as employees? Is it always outrageous to extol the talents of a producer and writer? Merck's comments were merely a compliment of Axl's talents.

From what I recall, Slash and Duff have made comments about axl's contributions to past songs; why is it so horrible that someone stands up and defends axl's talents? Merck paid the redhead a compliment and people here immediately take it as a swipe at ole Slash and Duff. they are big boys, they can respond if they feel compelled.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 01:51:50 AM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Crowebar
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2005, 02:08:04 AM »

I don't think it was necessary for Merck to slag-off on Slash like that. no

However, what he said about the album (he's obviously heard the new shit) and this; - "Axl is one of the most extraordinary artists of all time." is from someone who is legitimately "IN THE KNOW". ok confused

With him saying these things only serves to prove what I've felt all along about what Axl's been up to. beer

The new material is gonna' kick some serious fucking ass and even fuck-up Axl's worst critics when they hear it. nervous

That's what I believe and the way I've felt for the last ten or so fucking years of my life. crying

To hell with the pundits!!!!! yes ok beer smoking Grin

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2005, 02:10:32 AM »

Make no mistake about it, Axl is the general of this project and controls the direction it takes. He is getting out of the band exactly what he wants. Why would Merck's comments slight individuals who are being paid as employees? Is it always outrageous to extol the talents of a producer and writer? Merck's comments were merely a compliment of Axl's talents.

Shhhhh!!!!!! Don't say the words "Paid Employees" too loud around here or you are going to get a lecture on how tight this band is and how amazing the chemistry is, and how we all need to watch the 2002 tour DVD's if we don't believe it. You are right on though, it's his show. Other members may bring him stuff they think is cool, but if he doesn't like it it's not going anywhere near his album. Merck commented on it being Axl's album because it is exactly that: Axl's album. It may say Guns N' Roses on the wrapper, but it's Axl's album. The fact Merck referenced strictly Axl and not the group as a whole should dispell any myth's held by some on this board that this whole fiasco is anything but his solo project as Merck essentially promoted strictly Axl. ?
Crowebar
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2005, 02:23:14 AM »

Merck commented on it being Axl's album because it is exactly that: Axl's album. It may say Guns N' Roses on the wrapper, but it's Axl's album. The fact Merck referenced strictly Axl and not the group as a whole should dispell any myth's held by some on this board that this whole fiasco is anything but his solo project as Merck essentially promoted strictly Axl. 

What's your point man? Huh

So it's Axl's solo effort with him clinging on to the GNR brandname. ok

Who fucking cares anymore? Huh

Axl, release the fucking new shit man and so be it. yes beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2005, 02:38:38 AM »

[What's your point man? /quote]

Point was exactly that it's Axl's album. I'm cool with that, and could care less about the name thing. Can't wait to hear it. Just pointing out to a certain segment of posters on this board who will fight to the death that it is truly GNR and all that other bullshit that when management singles out Axl with the rest of the guys as an afterthought, that should tell you how band like they really are. That's all. Not trying to start up with the name bullshit again.
Crowebar
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2005, 02:54:30 AM »

Everybody here already knows it's Axl's fucking project man. yes beer smoking

Anybody who doesn't know this fact is a complete ignoramus. rant
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2005, 03:54:06 AM »

he didnt even answer the question
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2005, 07:48:37 AM »

Do you think most of the people who posted have a problem with that single comment??

There you are. Finally you "arrived" in this thread. No comments on the subject, but you took time to comment on my reply.

People like to focus on the negative.

If somebody says something positive, it's only because he's an employee.

Its not just Slash he slighted, it was essentially everybody thats been in the band.? In fact, its not even very flattering to the current members.? It only confirms what most of us already know: this project is about Axl Rose.? Everybody else is peripheral.

That's your take on what he said. Another way of seeing it is that he's saying everybody has downplayed Axl's role in the band, crediting Slash, Izzy etc and not credited Axl enough, because he's the asshole who broke up the band.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 04:41:45 PM by jarmo » Logged

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2005, 09:36:42 AM »

Its not just Slash he slighted, it was essentially everybody thats been in the band.  In fact, its not even very flattering to the current members.  It only confirms what most of us already know: this project is about Axl Rose.  Everybody else is peripheral.

So you think it confirms GN'R, old and new, was/is about Axl Roses and Slash, Izzy or anybody else was peripheral. If that was the case, I might have a beef about that. I'm not an Axl's nutsgroupie as you are  hihi but a healthy fan of GN'R(existing).

But the truth is more like what chindem, the clearer head already said.

The question he was asked was about when CD "will see the light of day" NOT about ex-gunners.

Actually, the question wasn't quoted; it was implied.   Why omit the question, yet follow it with a verbatim question and answer session?  It seems to me the discussion which preceded and prompted Merck's response was simply edited for content.  If so, it is entirely plausible the interviewer brought up specific points pertaining to Slash.  Moreover, the topic of the paragraph in which Merck speaks of GN'R deals with Merck's "fierce protection" of his clientele, based on his personal passion for music.  In that context the quote is applicable.   The narrative pertaining to Chinese Democracy's release seems oddly out of place.
Indeed.
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2005, 09:45:09 AM »

"When people hear this album, they will realize what [Axl] did in this band"

As Chuck, from Chuck' Bike O Rama, says in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, "When will this be?  Long time we wait!"

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2005, 10:20:51 AM »

Shhhhh!!!!!! Don't say the words "Paid Employees" too loud around here or you are going to get a lecture on how tight this band is and how amazing the chemistry is, and how we all need to watch the 2002 tour DVD's if we don't believe it. You are right on though, it's his show. Other members may bring him stuff they think is cool, but if he doesn't like it it's not going anywhere near his album. Merck commented on it being Axl's album because it is exactly that: Axl's album. It may say Guns N' Roses on the wrapper, but it's Axl's album. The fact Merck referenced strictly Axl and not the group as a whole should dispell any myth's held by some on this board that this whole fiasco is anything but his solo project as Merck essentially promoted strictly Axl.
I think you need to buy yourself a cane
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 10:26:21 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: