Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 08:51:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Merck comments on Axl vs Slash
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Merck comments on Axl vs Slash  (Read 14359 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: March 03, 2005, 02:19:29 PM »

Gypsy note:? Obviously, this is just the Axl mention part not the entire article/interview.
Gypsy comment:? Notice that Merck didn't answer the question that was asked.
? hihi

Billboard (newspaper) March 5, 2005

The Last Word
A Q&A With Merck Mercuriadis

BY ED CHRISTMAN

? ?As an extension of his devotion to music, Mercuriadis is known for his rapport with artists and his fierce protection of their interests.? One of Sanctuary's management clients is Guns N' Roses, whom Mercuriadis handles personally.? Asked when the band's long-awaited "Chinese Democracy" album will see the light of day, Mercuriadis says, "Axl is one of the most extraordinary artists of all time.? When people hear this album, they will realize what [Axl] did in this band, versus what Slash says he did.? It will be evident to everyone who the heart, soul and passion of Guns N' Roses is."

? ? ?

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Rhythm-n-Booze
Headliner

Nice shoes.

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 02:27:34 PM »

I find that comment to be ridiculous, honestly. I don't like to take sides with the Axl and Slash thing but this just seems to completely downplay Slash's involvement with GNR. I think that Axl and Slash did the same amount of work while in GNR, it's arguable who did the most but the songs wouldn't be the same if one of them was left out.
Saying that Axl is the heart, soul, and passion of GNR is true, but is he saying Slash wasn't? I dont know, it seems a little odd. And it is kind of funny how he completely avoided the question all together.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 02:41:31 PM »

Thanks GypsySoul.
Notice that Merck didn't answer the question that was asked.

Let's see how many ppl moan how he doesn't know a shit.... hihi

I don't like to take sides with the Axl and Slash thing
Neither do I. I don't think it good for the present and future of GN'R.  Let bygones be bygones.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 02:46:14 PM »

Thanks for the quote, Gypsy!
Maybe Merck was only defensive about the whole thing, and I think he's not the only one who thinks like that.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 02:49:19 PM »

I am in 100% agreement with Merck  ok  I love seeing this kind of stuff being said.
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 03:12:31 PM »

Interesting that Merck said "When people hear this album".  It's probably PR, but that does give the implication that there is a product to hear, and that he has heard it.

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 03:20:42 PM »

Let's be realistic here though. What else is the guy going to say, "Yeah.....we have 13 million dollars riding on this album which sucks because without Slash Axl will never be anything."

Oh course he is going to try and hype up Axl and make claims about him not needing the old band. Saying anything to the contrary would be bad for business even if it were true. It's like when everyone around here hitches their wagons to the old "Axl is so easy to work with and gives all of the band members so much involvement because they said so in an interview" argument. What else are  those guys going to say, "We're nothing but hired Guns playing what Axl tells us." Of course not, even if it were true those guys are going to say that because they don't want to lose a good paying job that requires minimal work and commitment. Comment's like Merck's are nothing but good old fashion showmanship and bravado.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 03:26:12 PM »

It's probably PR, but that does give the implication that there is a product to hear, and that he has heard it.

and also the implication that Not a one in the GN'R camp is really bigmouth when it comes to a certain thing.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 03:41:01 PM »

I agree 100 percent with Naupis

Merck is axl's manager of course he is gonna lick axl's balls

anyone who doesnt think Slash's contributions in GNR were significant dont deserve to call themselves GNR fans.

the solo's,riffs etc are just as memorable to me than any Axl melody or lyric.

just cause Slash isnt in the band, that doesnt mean u have to take sides

i love both those guys and im not gonna choose between them.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
madagas
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 03:42:47 PM »

Naupis, considering Merck DEALS with artists like The Who, he may know talent when he sees it. He isn't going to lose his credibility over someone like say Vince Neil. You seem to assume a lot of stuff you have no earthly idea about (for example the quality of the album-whether there will be multiple albums-etc) AND IT IS ALWAYS A NEGATIVE ASSUMPTION WITH AXL. Granted, I don't see a lot positive right now but your half assed wannabe psychologist ramblings about Axl's mindset, the music industry, lawsuits and everything else are getting a little played out.? ?Roll Eyes    amended for inaccuracy! hihi
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 03:58:25 PM by madagas » Logged
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 03:44:29 PM »

Naupis, considering Merck deals with artists like The Who and Neil Young, he may know talent when he sees it.

Merck represents:
Morrissey, Guns N' Roses, Jane's Addiction, Iron Maiden, Buddahead, Overseer, Rob Dickinson

http://www.sanctuarygroup.com/index.php?l1=6&l2=4&l3=0&rt=AM

Neither The Who or Neil Young are even represented by his office in New York. Before you go slagging people you should make sure you're not talking shit. I don't even think Neil Young is represented by Sanctuary Artist Management!  Roll Eyes
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 03:54:21 PM »

"Let's be realistic here though. What else is the guy going to say, "Yeah.....we have 13 million dollars riding on this album which sucks because without Slash Axl will never be anything."

Oh course he is going to try and hype up Axl and make claims about him not needing the old band. Saying anything to the contrary would be bad for business even if it were true. It's like when everyone around here hitches their wagons to the old "Axl is so easy to work with and gives all of the band members so much involvement because they said so in an interview" argument. What else are  those guys going to say, "We're nothing but hired Guns playing what Axl tells us." Of course not, even if it were true those guys are going to say that because they don't want to lose a good paying job that requires minimal work and commitment. Comment's like Merck's are nothing but good old fashion showmanship and bravado."

I agree...Merck is going to hype his product and endeavor to portray it in a postive light and as far as the negative Axl thing, well didn't he create that vibe himself by his actions and his victum like rants of the past...showmanship and bravado...I like that Grin
madagas
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 03:59:40 PM »

Gigger, deals with......comments about talent and Naupis' long winded tirades still stand.
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 04:06:13 PM »

Gigger, deals with......comments about talent and Naupis' long winded tirades still stand.

Merck doesn't "DEAL" with The Who.

And I like the way you removed Neil Young after I pointed out that he isn't even represented (or dealt with) by Sanctuary Artist Management.
madagas
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 04:10:55 PM »

ahhhhh...he knows his shit..... nervous I'm Scrambling....need some more rumors...can you get me some? Grin   Roll Eyes   Bored at work, spoiling for a fight. Enlighten me some more oh grand wizard of Splat!
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 04:12:32 PM »

ahhhhh...he knows his shit..... nervous I'm Scrambling....need some more rumors...can you get me some? Grin? ?Roll Eyes? ?Bored at work, spoiling for a fight. Enlighten me some more oh grand wizard of Splat!

Rumour has it you realised you're talking shit and rather than admitting it you decided to come up with a petty insult.  Roll Eyes
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 04:13:40 PM »

Merck doesn't "DEAL" with The Who.

And I like the way you removed Neil Young after I pointed out that he isn't even represented (or dealt with) by Sanctuary Artist Management.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=18946.0

I think this is where the Neil Young reference was made because Merck spoke about it in his speech.

Madagas made an HONEST mistake, Gigger. ?He didn't base his wording on a RUMOR  Roll Eyes

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 04:14:09 PM »

Are you two done?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
madagas
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 04:18:15 PM »

Gigger, I am not insulting you..said I was scrambling and will stand corrected as to the accuracy of my first sentence. I do believe the guy knows talent and understands what a good record is. Is it part showmanship and bravado-yes. Is it also part confidence that he may have an ace up his sleeve-I believe yes. To always take the negative side gets old. Some posters do and quite frankly, long winded tirades saying the same old shit gets old. You can regurgitate their posts before even reading them. I am trying to make people think about what they say-like something I was just called on the carpet for. Grin
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 04:21:30 PM by madagas » Logged
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 04:19:15 PM »

Naupis' long winded tirades still stand.
Yes and I totally back ya on this one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: