Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 11:25:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Stinson talks to LA Times
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stinson talks to LA Times  (Read 12448 times)
SADIS
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2005, 08:37:59 AM »

I didn't really like Tommy's comments about a reunion with the Replacements though. The only complain I have about this band is its lack of unity ( apperantly). A Band has to stick together, it's ok to put out solo albums if the band is not ready, but as far ar re-uniting with your former band while you are still in GNR is another story. I would have rather hear him say "A Replacements reunion is not going to happen cause I'm in GNR" or something along those lines.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's a bit weird.... I would expect an answer like "No man, I'm with Axl now....we have a great a band and a great album and I can't wait to go out and promote that album"

He would consider a reunion if it pays really well, what the fuck is that about, Tommy? Are you only in GNR for the Benjamins?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2005, 08:50:45 AM »

I'm sure they have worked on songs before 1998, but Tommy wasn't even in the band before 1998. I think once they got a band together, after all the members leaving, things got a bit more serious.

Yeah, because no band members left after 1998!   Grin
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2005, 09:04:12 AM »

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's a bit weird.... I would expect an answer like "No man, I'm with Axl now....we have a great a band and a great album and I can't wait to go out and promote that album"

If he said that, I'm sure some people (especially Mats fans) would make sneering remarks about how "GN'R's not doing anything right now, so he could just as well tour with Paul".

I don't know about being in music "for the benjamins", but if he considered doing that reunion tour for a large amount of money, it would suggest that the cheques he gets from GN'R are not as hefty as everyone seems to assume. Which, turning it around, would mean he doesn't stay in the band "for the benjamins". If he was that financially secure, he wouldn't even need to consider doing something for the money.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
SADIS
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2005, 09:32:53 AM »

I don't know about being in music "for the benjamins", but if he considered doing that reunion tour for a large amount of money, it would suggest that the cheques he gets from GN'R are not as hefty as everyone seems to assume. Which, turning it around, would mean he doesn't stay in the band "for the benjamins".

I really do hope you are smart enough to figure that being in GNR and writing songs in GNR will make anyone filthy rich after the release of the album. When the album drops they will at least sell a few million just to hardcore fans. If he has co-written only half of the songs it would make him an instant millionair. Tommy knows that. Why do you think Dizzy is still hangin in there?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 09:34:39 AM by SADIS » Logged
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2005, 09:50:17 AM »

So much for the "they've been working on it for ten years" posts.

I have to question that timeline...unless the albums been completely finished for 3 years, and I doubt thats the case.? As far as I know, theyre still "working on it."?

The fact of the matter is that Axl has been working on a follow-up since before 1998...Most of the material from those days has probably been scrapped.? Maybe some of it will be used.? So it comes down to what youre referring to as "it": Chinese Democracy or the new GNR album.? Again, the material on CD may be 7 or so years in the making (certainly not the 4 suggested by the article), but the new GNR album has been worked on since, what, '94?

Yeah, by that logic work on the Use Your Illusion albums started in the early to mid-80s. Before GN'R even existed.

Would you say it took GN'R six or seven years to finish UYI? Some of the material is that old.....

I'm sure they have worked on songs before 1998, but Tommy wasn't even in the band before 1998. I think once they got a band together, after all the members leaving, things got a bit more serious.

/jarmo

Axl surely had some songs he wrote between 1994 and 1998. According to Slash, in the last months of GN'R, they had been working on new stuff 'mostly Axl material'. So Axl has been working on this album since 1994, but with an everchanging line-up. He had to rid of some ideas because Slash, Duff and Matt worked on it, but his own songs had to stay unless he did find them bad/mediocre. And since 1997 he runs the business alone, he chooses the bandmembers. OMG, Tommy's on the board since 1998... Nothing can explain why it's been taking this long.  no

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2005, 10:10:20 AM »

why it's been taking this long.

I sometimes catch a glimpse of that.
I really do hope you are smart enough to figure that being in GNR and writing songs in GNR will make anyone filthy rich after the release of the album. When the album drops they will at least sell a few million just to hardcore fans. If he has co-written only half of the songs it would make him an instant millionair. Tommy knows that. Why do you think Dizzy is still hangin in there?
I do hope everybody gets rewarded for their hard work and their hard time.
And I hope someday somewhere you'll realise there are fucking idiots who are not really into the benjamins.
I mean, do you get any money for posting here? Pandra? Jarmo?  No way!!!!!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2005, 10:17:12 AM »

Just becuase there were songs around 94-98 doesnt mean Axl has been working on the album since that time. There were songs prior to AFD that appeared on UYI. That doesnt mean they were 100% focused on workin gon those songs prior to AFD. ALl bands have songs that are in the vault to be worked on at a later point.

The band started putting down music for the new lineup around 98. I personally believe the better part of the material will be from the 2000 till whenever released.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2005, 10:27:08 AM »

Yes, I think I'm smart enough, thank you.
As you said, that's when the album drops. Cynics would say "that's if it drops". And there's always a chance that it might bomb. A few millions just to hardcore fans? That's not a given at all. I don't think there are millions of hardcore fans left out there. Anyway.
Supposing he's not on a high payroll, he could have gone on the reunion tour Westerberg was hell-bent on setting up 3-4 years ago, and made some easy cash. The fact that he didn't do it seems to indicate that he's not so into it "for the benjamins". Sure he would like to sell records, but there is some middle ground between making a living off your music and compromising your integrity (the benjamins reference).

I mean, do you get any money for posting here? Pandra? Jarmo?  No way!!!!!

I asked Jarmo to grant me a salary, but that bastard won't do it. Shit, I wanna see the benjamins too  Angry  hihi

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2005, 10:41:30 AM »

Just becuase there were songs around 94-98 doesnt mean Axl has been working on the album since that time. There were songs prior to AFD that appeared on UYI. That doesnt mean they were 100% focused on workin gon those songs prior to AFD. ALl bands have songs that are in the vault to be worked on at a later point.

GN'R started to work on their UYI follow-up album in 1994. They haven't released new material since then, so yes, the album is on works for 11 years. Since not every song made AFD, they used songs some old songs later - it doesn't mean that they had been working on UYI since 1983, because they released 2 albums before AFD. Had Axl released two albums in the last 10 years, nobody would have said that it took 11 years for him to finish CD. Everybody can understand it. But since he's been working on an album since 1994 nobody cares why he dropped the songs in 1995, 1999 or 2004. He dropped what he didn't like, that's it. He wants to use the best moments of his band (hopefully). I don't think that Axl would have worked on songs in 1994-1998 he did want to bury and not release  no

And last time Tommy said that songs appeared on the scene he hadn't heard for years, so I wouldn't bet that we'll hear the fruits of only the last 3-4 years - if we ever hear this album.

Rollin' on the streets
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2005, 11:01:37 AM »

GN'R started to work on their UYI follow-up album in 1994. They haven't released new material since then, so yes, the album is on works for 11 years.
Not releasing something in "x" amount of years and working on something in "x" amount of years are 2 completely different things. From 94- till the old members left did work on SOME material. Between lawsuits, burnouts from the monster long tour, egos, etc I doubt they put down anything serious for an actual album. Axl said in the 2002 press release that if GNR were to release an album it would have been in the late 90's anyways.

Fast foward to the old band members leaving. Around 97/98. Axl begins search for new lineup. They lay down material during that period from 98 -lets says 2000. Band begins to take a definate form when Bucket arrives. Even more material is added. That material is attempted to be "perfected" during 2001-till now. Yea Im sure songs and ideas from 94-98 might be used but again that doesnt mean it was finished or totally worked on.
I bet most of the material that we hear will come from 2000 till the present.

But since he's been working on an album since 1994 nobody cares why he dropped the songs in 1995, 1999 or 2004.
No he hasnt been working on the album since 94.
I could care less what any1 thinks. Thats the reality of the project. If some1 wants to ignore them fine. No biggie. If some1 isnt as interested in knowing the reality of the situation, fine too. But for a fan, or some1 who cares and wants to know the foundation and origins of this project they will know it began in 98 and seriously took shape in the 2000's.

And last time Tommy said that songs appeared on the scene he hadn't heard for years, so I wouldn't bet that we'll hear the fruits of only the last 3-4 years

No1 is saying that there wont be songs from the 94-98 period. Im sure there will be. But again that doesnt mean the shovels were in the ground for a revamped lineup and album and for CD to start now....

« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 11:05:26 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2005, 12:13:04 PM »

Alright, it seem like we don't understand each other.  no  (One note: GN'R's reality is not known for you or me, we can only guess, so it's not valid to say 'It's the reality I don't care what anyone thinks.) BTW you have too much time for each GN'R action: Dream Theater who write a much more complicated music than GN'R write their records in 3 weeks and record it in another 3 weeks. A band doesn't need years to get together, there is no nedd for years to add a new guitarist parts or a new drummers'. And after Slash's departure Axl said (late 1996) that the new record will be out in 1997...

Rollin' on the streets
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2005, 12:22:25 PM »

BTW you have too much time for each GN'R action:
It doesnt take too long to figure out the history of gNR.

Dream Theater who write a much more complicated music than GN'R write their records in 3 weeks and record it in another 3 weeks.
WHo???

A band doesn't need years to get together, there is no nedd for years to add a new guitarist parts or a new drummers'.
This isnt any ordinary band. This band has big shoes to fill. And in order to do it right and represent Axl made sure he got the right group. Unfortunately that along with the music aspect takes a lil bit of time.

So please stop implying it should take x amount of time for a band to form or release something. Just fuck off if you cant handle it.

He also said 2000

Crowebar
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2005, 12:35:31 PM »

The way Tommy describes all the different musical styles and textures is exactly the way I figured it would end up being.

Very unfortunate.

Why is that "very unfortunate"? Do you ever have anything positive to say about anything?

I don't think Falcon will be saying it's an unfortunate thing when he finally hears the new shit. no

I firmly believe and have all along, that a ton of people here and everywhere, will be changing there tune when that day eventually arrives. yes
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2005, 12:42:01 PM »

So please stop implying it should take x amount of time for a band to form or release something.

This 'it's not an ordinary band' shit is boring. GN'R's legacy and greatness has NO connection with this. The music made GN'R big and not the 'not making music'. One year (or let's say: 3 years) is/are enough for every band to write and record and put out at least one album. There is only one exception, and it's - unfortunately - Axl's band.

Just fuck off if you cant handle it.

Try to behave. If you don't have any argument then don't post.

Rollin' on the streets
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2005, 12:53:50 PM »

This 'it's not an ordinary band' shit is boring.
Is it an ordinary band?

GN'R's legacy and greatness has NO connection with this.
Nope, it doesnt. But it does with Axl. If it bombs Axl will come down in terms of stature. If its a huge hit he will raise his already legendary level. Axl has all his chips on the line.

This band will detrmine the overall legacy of gnr. WIll gnr be just about the greatness of the old lineup or will it also include a newer version as well? That is teh question. WIll this band and Axl be able to pick up on the musical monstrosity that the old left off. Big shoes to fill. Just waiting for the bell to ring.

The music made GN'R big and not the 'not making music'.
Just like the music will make or break this band? Wink ok

One year (or let's say: 3 years) is/are enough for every band to write and record and put out at least one album.
send me a copy of that rock n roll rule book when u get a chance...

and it's - unfortunately - Axl's band.
Yep, it is Axls band. Just like when it was Axls band when Gnr were a "tight, badass" band in the good ol days.
If you don't have any argument then don't post.

You must have stumped me with your informative posting...my bad
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 01:03:01 PM by younggunner » Logged

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2005, 12:54:41 PM »

One year (or let's say: 3 years) is/are enough for every band to write and record and put out at least one album. There is only one exception, and it's - unfortunately - Axl's band.

There's more than one band who hasn't made an album per year.

Stop trying to act like GN'R is the only band who takes time between albums. Sure, GN'R hasn't put out any album with original material since 1991, but you're implying the rest of the bands are putting out albums every three years.

How many of those bands have gone through the same things that GN'R have? Why do you feel the need to compare different bands to each other? Who decides what the rules for rock bands are? Is it you?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2005, 01:13:20 PM »

One year (or let's say: 3 years) is/are enough for every band to write and record and put out at least one album. There is only one exception, and it's - unfortunately - Axl's band.

There's more than one band who hasn't made an album per year.

Stop trying to act like GN'R is the only band who takes time between albums. Sure, GN'R hasn't put out any album with original material since 1991, but you're implying the rest of the bands are putting out albums every three years.

How many of those bands have gone through the same things that GN'R have? Why do you feel the need to compare different bands to each other? Who decides what the rules for rock bands are? Is it you?

/jarmo

1-3 years are enough for write, record and put out an album. I haven't said that every band releases an album in every 3 years, cause they often go to tour for a year or more and then have a year break. And then they go to write and record (sometimes bands write songs during the tour, you know).

I still can't see the drama what happened in the 1998-2005 era that made Axl unable to release at least one album. Don't say BH left da da da cause the lack of activity made him leave the band. And as I see everyone can put together a new band and make a record in like 2 years, but Axl only did the first one... Even Tommy said that the album is scheduled for a next month release in every months of the last 10 years. so it seem like I'm not the only one who can't imagine what's holding back CD.

Rollin' on the streets
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2005, 01:24:24 PM »

No matter what time frame people choose to believe CD was/is/will continue to be created in, I think we'd all agree that 1 new tune in 14 years released for public consumption by Axl Rose is just not enough.

Speakiing selfishly, is that fair to say?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2005, 01:31:50 PM »

No matter what time frame people choose to believe CD was/is/will continue to be created in, I think we'd all agree that 1 new tune in 14 years released for public consumption by Axl Rose is just not enough.

Speakiing selfishly, is that fair to say?

Yeah, selfishly speaking it's sad that we only got one song. But as so many times before, I keep saying, he doesn't owe us anything.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2005, 02:00:09 PM »

Agree with Jarmo!
It is rather we that owe`s Axl, and GNR!!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: