Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 11:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Stinson talks to LA Times
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stinson talks to LA Times  (Read 12460 times)
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: March 03, 2005, 11:26:05 AM »

http://www.sp1at.com/item.php?id=134

Tommy gave an interview to the LA Times recently:

Despite recording a track recently with Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson has told the LA Times that he would reject a Replacements reunion tour. He told the LA Times, "If they were throwing the kind of money at us like they were throwing at the Pixies, I would have to look into it because I'm in this to obviously sell records and make a living....but would it be fun even if they did throw that kind of money around? I don't know. It doesn't really entice me. Do I really want to go out and play 'Alex Chilton' again? I've done that. I don't know if I want to play with Paul live again because I've done that."

Speaking about new Guns n'roses album, Stinson told the LA Times, "There are so many different musical textures and different things going on, you can't pinpoint it as just another drugs, sex and rock 'n' roll record, which is kind of what they celebrated back in the heyday. There's elements of that sort of a musical vibe in a way, but it's a lot more diverse..". When asked about a release date for Chinese Democracy, he told the LA Times, "The record's really close to being completed and put out"....but he declined to guess when exactly that would be. He then went on to quip "It's been scheduled every month for the last 10 years" and added that once the record's out "there will be a flurry of chaos that I'll be thrown into."

Nice to hear a little honesty from Mr. Stinson with regards to the release date.

Whole article here...

http://www.calendarlive.com/services/site/premium/access-premium-1.intercept
Subsciption required...

Or...
http://www.sp1at.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549
Registration required... (I think!)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 11:35:01 AM by gigger » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 11:28:30 AM »

Nowhere else to go but forward
March 3, 2005
By Susan Carpenter / Times Staff Writer
When Tommy Stinson released his first solo album, his goals were modest. The former bass player for legendary '80s rockers the Replacements wanted to begin making his own records, to find a label, to build an audience. The results, unfortunately, were...

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl-wk-pop3mar03,2,1632363.story

You need a subscription to read the whole thing..... Sad

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 12:29:32 PM »

I like the "flurry of chaos" line.   Probably wishful thinking, but that feels to me like there are at least some plans in the offing.

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
Crowebar
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 01:04:56 PM »

The way Tommy describes all the different musical styles and textures is exactly the way I figured it would end up being.

After all this time, how could we expect anything less from Axl?

I think the dude is sitting on a real musical monstrosity and I think he knows it and I'm sure the record company has heard it and they know it's going to a massive success.

That's why they're letting Axl release it on his terms. nervous confused

Money in the fucking bank baby. yes ok beer smoking
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 01:15:57 PM »

I think the dude is sitting on a real musical monstrosity and I think he knows it and I'm sure the record company has heard it and they know it's going to a massive success.

I do not understand quotes like these.  You cannot know that something is going to be a success especially in the entertainment industry.  This happens in film all the time.  Movies like Braveheart win awards out the ass, and they were box office flops.  The record company obviously has confidence in regards to the potential the album has because if they didn't I really doubt they would be so behind it like they have been. 
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 01:20:26 PM »

Same old news from Tommy

EEEERRRR Little boy
madagas
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 01:32:02 PM »

Dave, if it is the same old news from Tommy then DON'T POST! rant It is not the same old news because now he essentially says he doesn't know when it is going to come out! He usually give a specific timeframe.  Roll Eyes
Crowebar
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 01:33:59 PM »

I do not understand quotes like these.  You cannot know that something is going to be a success especially in the entertainment industry.  This happens in film all the time.  Movies like Braveheart win awards out the ass, and they were box office flops.  The record company obviously has confidence in regards to the potential the album has because if they didn't I really doubt they would be so behind it like they have been. 

I don't care if you don't understand my post. Shocked

That's the way I feel about the situation so, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't knock my opinion. beer
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 01:45:48 PM »

The way Tommy describes all the different musical styles and textures is exactly the way I figured it would end up being.

Yep, me too.

Very unfortunate.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 01:58:47 PM »

Yep, me too.

Very unfortunate.

Why is that unfortunate?

I think it's cool.  I also think that it makes sense if you look at the UYI albums in comparison to AFD.  I think the UYI records were more stylistically diverse than AFD.  Personally, that's what I loved about those records.

I think the new album will show some different musical influences, but still be pulled through the filter of GN'R's brand of melodic, guitar-driven hard rock.

Ali
madagas
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 02:03:49 PM »

The problem is it does not make for a cohesive record...just like the Illusions. Some masterpieces...some pieces of shit. Hopefully with all this time and effort, Axl will make this album a lot more focused. I think it will be from a lyrical standpoint, but musically?Huh
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 02:07:15 PM by madagas » Logged
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 02:11:29 PM »

The problem is it does not make for a cohesive record...just like the Illusions. Some masterpieces...some pieces of shit. Hopefully with all this time and effort, Axl will make this album a lot more focused. I think it will be from a lyrical standpoint, but musically?Huh

We will see it, but I don't know if soon is the word... Tommy's words "The record's really close to being completed and put out"....but he declined to guess when exactly that would be. He then went on to quip "It's been scheduled every month for the last 10 years" and added that once the record's out "there will be a flurry of chaos that I'll be thrown into." are a bit strange. He's surely frustrated, but proud of the product. I wonder when was the last time that the musicians had anything to do with the record  Undecided

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 02:16:38 PM »

We will see it, but I don't know if soon is the word... Tommy's words "The record's really close to being completed and put out"....but he declined to guess when exactly that would be. He then went on to quip "It's been scheduled every month for the last 10 years" and added that once the record's out "there will be a flurry of chaos that I'll be thrown into." are a bit strange. He's surely frustrated, but proud of the product. I wonder when was the last time that the musicians had anything to do with the record? Undecided

I believe Madison from MyGnR spoke to Merck about rumours of Brain leaving the band in August and he replied saying something along the lines of "he hasn't left, he is laying percussion as we speak" (or something similar). I could be wrong though.

Fortus also said in September that the album wasn't finished yet, but in December he said "it's done"... So maybe he had some input in that time.

Tommy said he heard some songs "recently" in November.

Dizzy probably sees Axl on a regular-ish basis as they go way back.

Pittman and Finck live in Axl's basement so they probably hear Axl singing and playing his piano late at night.  rofl
Ali
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 02:31:37 PM »

Well, I see a difference between being stylistically cohesive and cohesive in terms of song quality.  I agree that the UYI records were not cohesive in terms of song quality.  That was largely due to the fact that they released two records instead of condensing the material into one.

I think this record will be stylistically diverse but qualitatively cohesive.

Ali
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 02:32:48 PM »

I wonder when was the last time that the musicians had anything to do with the record? Undecided
  Thats a very intresting question as:
it's been said that legal issues holdning up the release, which means not the musicians no more?

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
madagas
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 02:36:29 PM »

If you track the numerous Tommy interviews since early 2003, you will see that the band has been done-as a band-since early 2003. Tommy recorded his solo album in Mar-April 03-I believe. Tommy also clearly said they were mixing as we speak in July 2003. My best educated guess is that the band went their separate ways in late Feb early Mar 2003. Axl has taken 2 years to wrap up the baby! Ali, I hope you are right. Ok Computer, one of my favorite albums of all time, is exactly like your description. hihi
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 03:08:12 PM by madagas » Logged
phaseONE
Headliner

I'm a llama??

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 02:41:45 PM »

I wonder if tommy will ever change his tune and actually tell it like it is instead of pussy footing around?

We will all be reading the same shit next year, and the year after untill  axl dies or music gets put on the net!

-------and time goes by-------
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 02:50:38 PM »

Hey Tommy....

Until CD comes out and whoops all of our collective asses, you'll always be known as the bass player from The Mats.
Even then, depending on how CD does to the average GNR fanatic (forget the mainstream person), you'll still have the title as being the 'ex-Replacements bassist'. Like it or not, The Mats left a HUGE mark on us. So, don't be so afraid to look back once in a while. You'll never be primarily known as the bassist from GNR.

I just saw Danzig @ Spirit in NYC this week on Tuesday. The special guest during his set was Doyle. Now, this wasn't billed as a Misfits reunion. And Danzig said himself, this is as close as you'll get to a reunion. Okay, so Doyle probably didn't have any better gig to do. And Danzig was probably feeling nostalgic. Hey, all the better for me and the rest of the overaged FIENDS there (standing far away from the pit). It was sure freakin' amazing to scream myself hoarse on a few Misfits songs.

Trust me, if the Mats decided to tour again, you would get equal to the Pixies if not more.

Waiting sucks all around, don't it?

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
Ali
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 03:03:48 PM »

If you track the numerous Tommy interviews since early 2003, you will see that the band has been done-as a band-since early 2003. Tommy recorded his solo album in Mar-April 03-I believe. Tommy also clearly said they were mixing as we speak in July 2003. My best educated guess is that the band went there separate ways in late Feb early Mar 2003. Axl has taken 2 years to wrap up the baby! Ali, I hope you are right. Ok Computer, one of my favorite albums of all time, is exactly like your description. hihi

Yes, madagas.  That is an excellent example.  OK Computer is a classic album in my estimation.  If the album is on par with OK Computer quality-wise, I would consider it an exceptional achievement.

Ali
usedname
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 03:14:56 PM »

Been scheduled for release every month for ten years, interesting?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: